The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Perception Management

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Perception Management

Post by Doug D on 01.06.17 21:08

Interesting snippet at the back of the 2008 David Baldacci novel, 'The Whole Truth' which I've just read:



Doug D

Posts : 2367
Reputation : 804
Join date : 2013-12-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by skyrocket on 02.06.17 8:45

@DougD - interesting topic.

Yes - the concept of Perception Management seems to be entwined in this case. It was initially a process/term developed by the American military but has been adopted by all big organistions as a more effective means of covering up mistakes than mere spin, which only twists the truth as opposed to creating an entirely 'new' truth.

******************
See how Wiki defines it:

History

The phrase "perception management" has often functioned as a euphemism for "an aspect of information warfare." A scholar in the field notes a distinction between "perception management" and public diplomacy, which "does not, as a rule, involve falsehood and deception, whereas these are important ingredients of perception management; the purpose is to get the other side to believe what one wishes it to believe, whatever the truth may be."[4] The phrase "perception management" is filtering into common use as a synonym for "persuasion." Public relations firms now offer "perception management" as one of their services. Similarly, public officials who are being accused of shading the truth are now frequently charged with engaging in "perception management" when disseminating information to media or to the general public.
Although perception management operations are typically carried out within the international arena between governments, and between governments and citizens, use of perception management techniques have become part of mainstream information management systems in many ways that do not concern military campaigns or government relations with citizenry. Businesses may even contract with other businesses to conduct perception management for them, or they may conduct it in-house with their public relations staff.
As Stan Moore has written, "Just because truth has been omitted, does not mean that truth is not true. Just because reality has not been perceived, does not mean that it is not real."

Strategies

There are nine strategies for perception management. According to Kegon Thomas, these include:

  1. Preparation – Having clear goals and knowing the ideal position you want people to hold.
  2. Credibility – Make sure all of your information is consistent, often using prejudices or expectations to increase credibility.
  3. Multichannel support – Have multiple arguments and fabricated facts to reinforce your information.
  4. Centralized control – Employing entities such as propaganda ministries or bureaus.
  5. Security – The nature of the deception campaign is known by few.
  6. Flexibility – The deception campaign adapts and changes over time as needs change.
  7. Coordination – The organization or propaganda ministry is organized in a hierarchical pattern in order to maintain consistent and synchronized distribution of information.
  8. Concealment – Contradicting information is destroyed.
  9. Untruthful statements – Fabricate the truth.[5]



Organizational

Organizations use perception management in daily internal and external interactions as well as prior to major product/strategy introductions and following events of crisis. Life cycle models of organizational development suggest that the growth and ultimate survival of a firm is dependent on how effectively business leaders navigate crisis, or crisis-like, events through their life cycles.[6] As suggested by studies,[7][8] organizational perception management involves actions that are designed and carried out by organizational spokespersons to influence audiences' perceptions of the organization. This definition is based on the understanding of four unique components of organizational perception management: perception of the organization; actions or tactics; organizational spokespersons; and organizational audiences. The organizational perceptions is further classified into three major forms namely organizational images, organizational reputation, and organizational identities.[9]


Perception Management Events: Perception management is often used by an organization in the following major events:

  1. Dealing with perception-threatening events: Include such events as scandals, accidents, product failures, controversial identity changes, upcoming performance reviews, and introduction of new identity or vision.
  2. Dealing with perception-enhancing events: Include such events as positive/negative ranking or rating by industry groups, overcoming hardships, and achievement of desired goals.[9]

***************


The 9 'strategies' of PM could have been written with this case in mind.


I'm quoting from memory now (haven't the time to find it but perhaps someone else can lay their hands on the interview clip I refer to), but didn't GM say something along the lines of, 'We have very clear goals....', and later, 'Any parent would take the opportunity of introducing information into the investigation....'. Perhaps 'Perception Management' was one of the help books GM had with him in PdL, after the disappearance; also, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that PM is now taught as part of certain degree syllabuses/i, although you would expect the medical profession not be one of them, for obvious ethical reasons. Didn't GM do a first degree in Sports Science?
avatar
skyrocket

Posts : 541
Reputation : 527
Join date : 2015-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by JRP on 02.06.17 10:58

Yep, let's look up Perception Management on Wikipedia, and while we are there, let's look up Madeleine McCann, and see what the "Free Encyclopedia" say's about her.

"Madeleine Beth McCann, (born 12 May 2003) disappeared on the evening of 3rd May 2007, from her bed in a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, a resort in the Algarve region of Portugal, sparking what one newspaper called "the most heavily reported missing person case in modern history". Her whereabouts remain unknown".

And what does Wikipedia say about Eddie and Keela, well, the paragraph ends with this.
"The McCann's lawyer said that, if indeed there was a smell of corpses on Kate's clothes, it could have been caused by her contact with corpses as a family doctor".

Wikipedia is Perception Management  spit coffee

JRP

Posts : 400
Reputation : 356
Join date : 2016-03-07
Age : 59
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by skyrocket on 02.06.17 11:34

@JRP - I understand why you say that (and the irony) but I disagree, smilie in a friendly way!

IMO, Wikipedia is not in itself Perception Management however it is used as a vehicle by those involved in PM, and therein lies the problem. Uncontroversial material is likely to be reasonably reliable - such as basic definitions/explanations as I posted above. I am with you in that it would be last place I would look for anything relating to MBM.

The point I was making was that it is quite clear that Team McCann have employed many of the tactics which can be collectively described as Perception Management. Stating the obvious, there would be no need for this under genuine circumstances.
avatar
skyrocket

Posts : 541
Reputation : 527
Join date : 2015-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by JRP on 02.06.17 12:06

@skyrocket wrote:@JRP - I understand why you say that (and the irony) but I disagree, smilie in a friendly way!

IMO, Wikipedia is not in itself Perception Management however it is used as a vehicle by those involved in PM, and therein lies the problem. Uncontroversial material is likely to be reasonably reliable - such as basic definitions/explanations as I posted above. I am with you in that it would be last place I would look for anything relating to MBM.

The point I was making was that it is quite clear that Team McCann have employed many of the tactics which can be collectively described as Perception Management. Stating the obvious, there would be no need for this under genuine circumstances.

I agree with you @skyrocket, in the spirit of friendliness m1264

Wikipedia is probably the go to place for many who want to learn "facts" about something they know little about.
Wiki is seen as a truthful source because it is free, and therefore presents itself as an unbiased fountain of knowledge, free from advertisers and their agendas.
However, because of it's very nature it is open to abuse from those who practice Perception Management.

In this case we can see that Wiki is not unbiased in it's explanation of the Madeleine McCann case, but we only know this because we have done other research which highlights other possibilities.
Other people, with less time or less interest might take this route Google> Madeleine McCann> Wikipedia> and go no further.

Is there a difference between Perception and Deception? Very little would be my guess, and how do we know if we have been influenced by this practice of inventing Perceptions. In a word.... We don't! 

Sorry, that's two words.

JRP

Posts : 400
Reputation : 356
Join date : 2016-03-07
Age : 59
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by skyrocket on 02.06.17 13:00

@JRP - hi!

As I see it, I think a simple upper case 'P' is the crux here.

The process of Perception Management quite clearly involves the introduction of blatant untruths and representing them as truths, to the extent that the lies become accepted and propagated as truth/reality by the masses. A new reality is created, which can become stronger than the actual truth and almost impossible to break. It is deception, full stop.

Management of perception (often unfortunately written as Perception Management) is a separate legitimate organisational process which allows businesses to improve their image by taking an outsiders look at themselves and introducing changes to improve the way they are perceived.

Hope that makes sense.
avatar
skyrocket

Posts : 541
Reputation : 527
Join date : 2015-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by kaz on 02.06.17 13:13

Hi skyrocket.
Is  it Richard Hall who says,' Believe nothing, question everything ? This would seem the perfect antidote to Perception Management. I think most members of this forum would agree with his sentiments but I often wonder why everybody isn't of the same frame of mind. Were we born natural sceptics?

kaz

Posts : 411
Reputation : 347
Join date : 2014-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by skyrocket on 02.06.17 13:46

Hi @ Kaz - that's a good question, I've often wondered about it.

I think as soon as the masses hit the education system (British) the brain washing starts. Free thinking is generally discouraged; children who question/argue are labelled as disruptive; conforming and accepting authority is driven in and all who follow this route are given an easier path in life.

I've noticed that some adults seem genuinely uncomfortable being asked to question what authority tells them, it is not what decent people do; others have hard or harrowing lives and understandably their own problems leave no room for being interested in/concerned about anyone elses; some just don't do a great deal of thinking.

Some of those who do question are quickly knocked back by the group dynamic; by being labelled/mocked/even threatened or worse.

A few wriggle through the net - and here we are (that isn't to say that we're any better - perhaps we were just off sick when the mind control assembly took place!).

Yes, of those who get through the net, I think some of us are probably born natural cynics and some perhaps learn it from parents, so nature and nurture; also that others experience something personally in their lives that makes them wake up to reality - once awoken there is no going back to simply accepting everything.
avatar
skyrocket

Posts : 541
Reputation : 527
Join date : 2015-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by Verdi on 02.06.17 16:43

@JRP wrote:
Wikipedia is probably the go to place for many who want to learn "facts" about something they know little about.
 
It's also the primary reference source for many who want to feign knowedge of a subject they know absolutely nothing about - the disapperance of Madeleine McCann has proved that little fact repeatedly.

That aside, I detest these modernisms that creep into the English language, a  fine language if I mights say!  Buzz words and phrases - jargon, such as perception management and damage limitation, created to fill a non-existent void in the world of city slickers.  There was a satirical television show called 2012 depicting the everyday life of an events organiser - in this case the London Olympics, in my opinion spot-on as regards slick city talk.

  

In days of old, earthy yokels would call this (perception management that is, not 2012) muck-spreading - so much more expressive and straight to the point.

The internet has it's very own version in the form of forum myth.  Some anonymity creates a nonsense theory which rapidly spreads like wild fire - within a short period of time it's recounted as fact. irrespective of how nonsensical it might be.  The case of Madeleine McCann has certainly attracted a fair share - in this respect CMoMM members should always be mindful of what they write.  Nonsense theorizing doesn't assist the cause in any way shape or form.  Make an example - don't follow by example!

____________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made" - Groucho Marx
avatar
Verdi
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 5365
Reputation : 3185
Join date : 2015-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by kaz on 02.06.17 17:15

@Verdi wrote:


The internet has it's very own version in the form of forum myth.  Some anonymity creates a nonsense theory which rapidly spreads like wild fire - within a short period of time it's recounted as fact. irrespective of how nonsensical it might be.  The case of Madeleine McCann has certainly attracted a fair share - in this respect CMoMM members should always be mindful of what they write.  Nonsense theorizing doesn't assist the cause in any way shape or form.  Make an example - don't follow by example!
A Nonsense Theory is very subjective. What may appear ' nonsense' to you may well appear plausible to me. Sometimes we have to take on board theories which may well be 'outside the box' but obviously if they can't stand scrutiny they inevitably fall by the wayside. I say this because even just   ten years ago child abuse was well outside of my box.

kaz

Posts : 411
Reputation : 347
Join date : 2014-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by Verdi on 02.06.17 21:58

@kaz wrote:
A Nonsense Theory is very subjective. What may appear ' nonsense' to you may well appear plausible to me.
Mmmmm - this can't be denied!

____________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made" - Groucho Marx
avatar
Verdi
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 5365
Reputation : 3185
Join date : 2015-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by JRP on 02.06.17 22:02

@Verdi,
Is this nonsense theory in regard to a mention of cadaver pants?

JRP

Posts : 400
Reputation : 356
Join date : 2016-03-07
Age : 59
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by Verdi on 02.06.17 22:23

@JRP wrote:@Verdi,
Is this nonsense theory in regard to a mention of cadaver pants?
Take yer pick - the list is endless.

____________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made" - Groucho Marx
avatar
Verdi
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 5365
Reputation : 3185
Join date : 2015-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Perception Management

Post by BlueBag on 03.06.17 7:29

Wiki is very useful (if you check other sources).

...unless you want the truth about something that matters to the establishment.

Then it's like the 1984 Ministry of Information.
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4171
Reputation : 1992
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
McCanns apt & hire car


Blood and cadaver alerts
dismissed by UK Government


Retired DCI Gonçalo Amaral: "The English can always present the conclusions to which they themselves arrived in 2007. Because they know, they have the evidence of what happened - they don't need to investigate anything. All this is now a mere 'show off'."

Retired murder DCI Colin Sutton: "I would also like to make the point that Operation Grange was so restricted from the start as to be destined to fail."

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley made public on national TV that Operation Grange is a complete fraud.

Ex-DCI Andy Redwood had a "revelation moment" on BBC's Crimewatch on 14th October 2013 when he announced that Operation Grange had eliminated the Tanner sighting - which opened up the 'window of opportunity', in accordance with their remit, to allow the fake abduction to happen.

Despite "irrelevant behaviour" from blood and cadaver dogs in the McCann's apartment, on Kate McCann's clothes, and in the car they hired three weeks after Maddie disappeared, Ex-Chief Inspector, Ian Horrocks, said: "The thought that Kate and Gerry McCann had anything to do with the death of their daughter is frankly preposterous."

Gerry McCann called for example to be made of 'trolls'. SKY News reporter Martin Brunt doorstepped Brenda Leyland on 2 October 2014. She was then found dead in a Leicester hotel room. Brenda paid the price. She paid with her life.

Ex-Deputy Chief Constable, Jim Gamble QPM, congratulated SKY reporter, Martin Brunt, on twitter for doorstepping Brenda Leyland on behalf of Gerry McCann.

Prime Minister Theresa May introduces Prime Suspect Kate McCann to Royalty: The Duchess of Gloucester.

Good Cop Down: The reality of being a police whistleblower
https://goodcopdown.wordpress.com/