The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Mm11

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Mm11

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Regist10

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Empty Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Casey5 06.01.14 19:13

I read on another forum that the plaintiffs and defenders will all be liable to pay their own costs, legal fees etc. but the winner/s can petition the courts for damages  and a judge has the final say on this.
So Mr Amaral and his co-defenders, if they win, will have to petition the court for any payments from the McCanns, which will accrue even more legal fees for both sides.
It seems in Portugal, like here, only the lawyers win.
Casey5

Activity : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 06.01.14 19:21

Can you provide a link to that forum please, Casey?
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 06.01.14 19:29

ultimaThule wrote:Can you provide a link to that forum please, Casey?
I could but it's a closed forum so you wouldn't be able to access it if you're not a member. I'll p.m you.
Casey5

Activity : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 06.01.14 19:39

In that case, could you please reproduce here any posts you've read which suggest that winners must pay their own costs and petition for damages in, presumably, a separate hearing?
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by SomethingStinks 06.01.14 20:23

Hi!
At what time will the hearing take place tomorrow?  thinking

new
SomethingStinks

Activity : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 06.01.14 20:26

Dunno exactly!
Normal office starting hours I'd presume, maybe about 9.00 clockish I'd say.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 06.01.14 20:38

Assembly at 9.30am seems to be the order of the day but the proceedings rarely get underway until c10am.   

I assume Izzy will complete her arguments in the morning session but as there are 4 lawyers for the defence it remains to be seen whether it will be necessary for the trial to run into another day. 

As there'll be no need for interpreter services the proceedings should move on at a quicker pace than was set in the first few days and it's be hoped all of the closing arguments will be heard in full tomorrow, after which it will be a case of waiting for judgement to be handed down at some future date.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 06.01.14 21:01

ultimaThule wrote:Assembly at 9.30am seems to be the order of the day but the proceedings rarely get underway until c10am.   

I assume Izzy will complete her arguments in the morning session but as there are 4 lawyers for the defence it remains to be seen whether it will be necessary for the trial to run into another day. 

As there'll be no need for interpreter services the proceedings should move on at a quicker pace than was set in the first few days and it's be hoped all of the closing arguments will be heard in full tomorrow, after which it will be a case of waiting for judgement to be handed down at some future date.

I suppose if ID doesn't take up the whole morning, and provided lunch break is kept short, then maybe every side can have their argument done with within the day.
Possibly not all the four lawyers from defendants side will give long summary.
Main one will come from Amaral's lawyer.  
The defendants are taken collectively and not individually, as such a verdict against Mccanns is effectively one in favour of all the defendants collectively.
I, too, believe tomorrow is a full day given to closing arguments , and a verdict will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

The Mccanns as we know won't be there tomorrow.  But is their presence obligatory on Verdict Day ?
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 06.01.14 23:16

I don't know if it is official, but it's being stated that libel trial has been postponed

Edited to say there's nothing official
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web 06.01.14 23:40

sallypelt wrote:I don't know if it is official, but it's being stated that libel trial has been postponed

Edited to say there's nothing official

I've seen this too and posted in 'News' as I hadn't seen it here, sorry. Looks like more waiting!
Tangled Web

Activity : 319

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 07.01.14 0:22

Portugal has declared 3 days of national mourning for their hero, Eusebio. 

I daresay the date of tomorrow's postponed hearing will be made available in due course.

In the meantime, it's winter and it's to be hoped the season of colds and flu doesn't leave any of the 5 sets of lawyers, 4 defendants, court officials, and, of course, the judge, indisposed which may cause a further delay.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by SomethingStinks 07.01.14 3:11

@postponed:
Nevertheless thanks a lot for answering my question!
SomethingStinks

Activity : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 07.01.14 8:58

Portia wrote:And also: if someone else is picking up the tabs, wouldn't this be income for the Mecs, and wouldn't they, as a consequence, be taxed in person?
Now there's a thought.  smilie
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.01.14 10:09

plebgate wrote:
Portia wrote:And also: if someone else is picking up the tabs, wouldn't this be income for the Mecs, and wouldn't they, as a consequence, be taxed in person?
Now there's a thought.  smilie

Maybe Enid could be persuaded to shed some light on this, if she's still around?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web 07.01.14 10:42

It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.

Tweet from Jerry Lawton
https://mobile.twitter.com/JerryLawton/status/420499345369497600
Tangled Web

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 07.01.14 10:56

Tangled Web wrote:It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.

Tweet from Jerry Lawton

Wonder when this last minute was
tiny
tiny

Activity : 2311

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.01.14 10:57

Tangled Web wrote:It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.

Tweet from Jerry Lawton

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 39m
#mccann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web 07.01.14 11:08

Thanks Candyfloss...I'm a bit of a technophobe!
Tangled Web

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 07.01.14 14:47

[quote="candyfloss"]
Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton  39m  
#mccann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute
He has been sent a lot of important ones over the last few weeks.
Or so I have been told !  big grin 
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16578

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 07.01.14 14:49

PeterMac wrote:
candyfloss wrote:
Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton  39m  
He has been sent a lot of important ones over the last few weeks.
Or so I have been told !   big grin 

big grin Who ever sent them, clapping
tiny
tiny

Activity : 2311

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web 07.01.14 15:06

Châtelaine wrote:@ ultimaThule

""any 'lid' is well and truly off and IMO the 'shelling out' of 'all this money' has one purpose which is to bring the perpertrators of a heinous crime against a 3 year old child to justice."
Amen to that, UT

I agree. If the plan was a whitewash then this could've been achieved much more quietly. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I like Andy Redwood. I've been watching interviews with him from when they announced the 'review' and a few times, he slipped up and said 'this investigation' and then corrected himself to say 'this investigation REVIEW'. I think it's always been an investigation but they aren't going to let the prime suspects know what they're really up to are they?
Tangled Web

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 07.01.14 15:26

Tangled Web wrote:

""any 'lid' is well and truly off and IMO the 'shelling out' of 'all this money' has one purpose which is to bring the perpertrators of a heinous crime against a 3 year old child to justice."
Amen to that, UT

I agree. If the plan was a whitewash then this could've been achieved much more quietly. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I like Andy Redwood. I've been watching interviews with him from when they announced the 'review' and a few times, he slipped up and said 'this investigation' and then corrected himself to say 'this investigation REVIEW'. I think it's always been an investigation but they aren't going to let the prime suspects know what they're really up to are they?

I'll fight you for him  Mrs rotfl 
No, seriously, I think he is fast becoming one rare, cool dude.
A whitewash, like so many before, could have gone away quietly ages ago, and even leaving the public 'knowing' that it's a whitewash.
There have been many examples lately, where inquiries have come up with the most blatant and truth defying dismissals...Kelly, etc. etc.
When Andy Redwood says, to discover what actually happened to Madeleine McCann, I hear and see a genuine truth in his manner.
I will be most sincerely shocked if I have got him wrongly assessed.
I do not think he is anyone's fool, and I do not think he will suborn his core beliefs to a higher pressure.  Mr 
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web 07.01.14 16:41

bobbin wrote:
Tangled Web wrote:

Amen to that, UT

I'll fight you for him  Mrs rotfl 
No, seriously, I think he is fast becoming one rare, cool dude.
A whitewash, like so many before, could have gone away quietly ages ago, and even leaving the public 'knowing' that it's a whitewash.
There have been many examples lately, where inquiries have come up with the most blatant and truth defying dismissals...Kelly, etc. etc.
When Andy Redwood says, to discover what actually happened to Madeleine McCann, I hear and see a genuine truth in his manner.
I will be most sincerely shocked if I have got him wrongly assessed.

I do not think he is anyone's fool, and I do not think he will suborn his core beliefs to a higher pressure.  Mr 

Let us hope he doesn't let us down then Bobbin or you're welcome to him winkwink
Tangled Web

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 08.01.14 11:50

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Empty  daffodil on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:10 pm
Sincere apologies UT.   I have done it again, reproduced something that has been posted already LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Icon_cry    Please delete anything I post, it takes me ages to c/p and I get a bit behind !!

I fear posting - all done with good intent - and I do a search beforehand but still mess up    LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 2699404744 
I shall withdraw with dignity and just keep reading/researching, my opinions and questions I shall keep to myself !
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Having just begun to re-read this truncated thread from page 1 it seems I overlooked your above post, daffodil, and wish to assure you that,  in adding a link to another thread on the same subject, I meant no criticism whatosever of you - if anyone should apologise it's me for not having made this clear at the time.

I'm immensely relieved you haven't withdrawn because of my frustration when there are a number of threads on the same subject - not, I hasten to add, that this is any complaint about the way in which this forum is maintained as the diversity of the topics and threads therein is what, for me, sets it apart from other sites dedicated to the case of Madeleine McCann.  

Please accept my belated apology for any upset or embarrassment I may unwittingly have caused you and please don't stop adding your valuable input to this forum.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 7 Empty has the libel trial been adjourned until a given date?

Post by haroldd2 19.02.14 20:45

Has the libel trial been adjourned until a given date? If so, until when? If not, is it usual in Portuguese civil trials not to give an adjournment date?

Was a reason given for adjourning?

I take the view that if the McCanns lose the libel case they'll be wide open to people suing them in the English civil courts (and indeed in other countries) for misleading them into donating money. A loss to GA will not necessarily give grounds for a criminal prosecution for fraud, but it will for a civil action for tort.

Might there have been some diplomatic intervention?

Presumably if the case is being tried by a judge rather than a jury, then there's no reason for any legal arguments to be in secret - unless someone, who may not necessarily be either of the parties in the case, has made a good case to the contrary.
haroldd2

Activity : 274

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top