The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Mm11

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Mm11

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Regist10

Olive Press: The Man the Money the Mischief

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Empty Re: Olive Press: The Man the Money the Mischief

Post by Verdi 19.11.22 15:42

superman

Good to see Clarke speaks only to  very best gossipy quality press, could it be any more cheezy?

bn

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Closer11

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 42327

Back to top Go down

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Empty Re: Olive Press: The Man the Money the Mischief

Post by Verdi 19.11.22 16:05

Madeleine McCann’s parents’ new agony

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Scre2937
Ooops, wrong picture - now where did that come from i don\'t know

As a prime suspect in the Madeleine McCann case is announced, Closer speaks to Jon Clarke who has followed the story since the three-year-old went missing...

by Kristina Beanland | Posted on11 06 2020

The biggest breakthrough in the 13-year search for Madeleine McCann came last week, when German authorities said they had almost enough evidence [that word again] to charge a convicted paedophile with her murder.

At the time of going to press, the suspect was a 43-year-old German man, who has a long history of sex crimes against women and children, and is currently in jail for the torture and rape of a 72-year-old woman.

Police are also reopening the investigation into a missing five-year-old girl, dubbed “the German Maddie”, who was snatched from woodland in Germany while on holiday with her family in 2017 – at a location less than 50 miles from where the suspect lived at the time.

But while Maddie’s parents, Kate and Gerry, have always held on to the belief that their daughter, who would now be 17, is still alive, German officials have stressed that this is a murder inquiry.

In a statement uploaded to the Find Madeleine website, Kate and Gerry said, “All we have ever wanted is to find her, uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice.

“We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive, but whatever the outcome may be, we need to know, as we need to find peace.”

Journalist Jon Clarke was one of the first on the scene in Praia da Luz, Portugal, when Maddie went missing from a holiday resort in May 2007, while her parents ate in a nearby restaurant. He has been reporting on the case ever since.

He believes that – while the news of Maddie’s apparent death will be heartbreaking – Kate and Gerry may finally find closure.

Jon, who is currently back working on the case in Praia da Luz, told Closer, “Since 2007, there have been a few leads about Maddie’s whereabouts, but they’ve amounted to nothing. This time, it seems different. There’s strong evidence linking this man to the crime, and there’s a feeling that we might finally get some answers.

“I remember the anguish on Kate and Gerry’s faces when I first met them the day after Maddie went missing. It would be devastating for them to find out that Maddie has died, but they deserve to know what happened to her, no matter how awful.”

And Jon, who lives in Malaga, Spain, with his wife and two children, says that some locals in the area have long been suspicious of the German man.

He says, “Everyone in the area knew about the elderly woman who had been raped. I remember speaking to some people who said that there must have been a link between the two crimes, because Praia da Luz has been considered such a safe area.

"They felt that two awful incidents that happened so close to each other must be related. But because the victims were so different – an elderly woman and a young child – it must have been discounted.”

Jon recalls the call he received from a British newspaper on the morning of 4 May 2007, asking him to report on a missing child.

He says, “I remember thinking that by the time I got there, she’d have turned up. Praia da Luz was a sleepy little village and hardly anyone was around when I arrived later that morning. But I was shocked when I saw the McCanns’ apartment – there was no security and just a flimsy piece of police tape covering the side gate.”

A few hours after arriving, Jon met Kate and Gerry. He says, “They were polite, and even thanked me for reporting on the case. They were clearly devastated. The press conference outside their apartment later that day only confirmed my feelings. I think almost every person there shed a tear. As a journalist, you try not to get too emotional about a story, but my own daughter had just turned two, so it was hard not to get upset.

“In the days that followed, it was clear this was a story like no other – hundreds of journalists descended on the town and Maddie’s face was everywhere. Everyone was looking for her – I must have walked the length of the beach ten times, combing through the wasteland and looking in abandoned houses.”

Jon stayed in Portugal for two weeks while the case unfolded – until it became clear that Maddie was no longer in Praia da Luz. He says he has since returned countless times to report on the story, and even appeared in a Netflix documentary that aired last year about her disappearance.

Now, Jon is back in Portugal.

He says, “The atmosphere is tense here and the locals are in shock. A lot of theories have been floated over the years, but the idea that Maddie could have been taken by a paedophile is the one that no one wanted to be true. And it’s tough on the people here, knowing that the place they call home is famous for something so awful. They want answers too, so that their town can start to move on.”

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Closer12

While reporting on the case last week, Jon was asked by a newspaper to visit one of the homes of the German suspect, to see if the people living there knew about its previous owner.

He says, “The house is in the middle of nowhere, four or five miles outside of Praia da Luz. It would have been so easy for a dangerous man like him to lay low, and not cause too much of a stir. Expats rarely ask questions of each other anyway – it’s almost an unwritten rule not to dig because there’s lots of reasons, sometimes private, why someone would want to relocate to another country. So he’d have blended in without too much trouble.”

Now Jon hopes the next time he returns to Praia da Luz will be under different circumstances.

He says, “When I think about what Kate and Gerry have lived with for all these years, it breaks my heart. My daughter is a similar age to Madeleine, and every time I come down here, I feel so lucky that something like this didn’t happen to my family.

“The man the police are investigating was a nasty piece of work with a string of horrific convictions. It’s time justice was done for Madeleine.”

Read even more in this week's Closer magazine - out now. Can't get to the shops? No problem. Find out how to get Closer magazine at home.

https://closeronline.co.uk/real-life/news/madeleine-mccann-german-suspect-jon-clarke/

I don't know about getting Closer to home, getting Closer to the truth might be more helpful roll .

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19.11.22 22:25

i think dear jon is not very content with that link;

https://closeronline.co.uk/real-life/news/madeleine-mccann-german-suspect-jon-clarke/

i did not know jon is german.

but as it is a high quality press, and as we know jon likes only the best journalists in the field. you know the real ones. 

o well, the guy has an education under his belt to find easily his way back to the crime scene.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 20.11.22 0:16

I suppose it could be said Jon Clarke is now Germanic, all that time he spent on the road with his magical mystery tour and translator/interpreter in tow - he must be effluent by now.

Dear Jon .... sounds like an agony aunt.  Ooops sorry, agony uncle.

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 1f3b6 Old Uncle Tom cobblers 'n all 'n all, Old Uncle Tom cobblers 'n all  Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 1f3b6  

dance

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 25.11.22 13:14

Verdi wrote:I suppose it could be said Jon Clarke is now Germanic, all that time he spent on the road with his magical mystery tour and  translator/interpreter in tow - he must be effluent by now

But he has still not yet grasped the use of the Umlaut,  the two dots over the U in BRÜCKNER
and insists on the crude anglicisation - Brueckner - which is acceptable for non-German speakers, 
or those who can't work a modern keyboard and don't know where to find the ü, the é, the î, or the ç.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16570

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 25.11.22 13:21

Guilty as charged big grin salute !

Me?  I can't be bothered to change keyboard in the name of Germanman - he's unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I claim exclusion because I'm not German.

The British press invariably refer to him as Breuckner - albeit technically wrong.

i don\'t know

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 30.11.22 12:37

It was stated by Silvia Batista that on 20-09-2007, during the morning, three reporters from Sky News, two men and a woman, were seen on the patio of apartment 5 A and that they had forced the external blind to the bedroom that Madeleine had disappeared from, probably with the intention of filming inside, and she told them to leave.

But she said that yesterday 25-09-2007 a security guard was asked to come to the same apartment as there was a group of three journalists - two Spanish men and a woman, who had set up cameras on the patio next to Apartment 5 A which was occupied at the time. Their identification was not noted, but given the fact they had filming equipment, they were assumed to be reporters.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/DCCB_LETTER.htm

think

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 17.01.23 12:15

I've just read this, written by a pro-McCannite some months ago..

I have thought over the years that their complacency and incompetence was monumental [refers to Portuguese investigation]. Having read the evidence being presented by Jon Clarke I am coming round to the realisation that NO-ONE could be that incompetent over such a long period of time.

I have always found the many faceted, virulent campaign carried out against two parents who are doing nothing other than trying to locate their missing daughter quite bizarre.

I have been astounded by Amaral's recent attempts to derail the German investigation. But most of all, the fact that a career criminal cared enough to inform on a "colleague" when Madeleine disappeared and was ignored is something that must have concentrated minds and will continue to do so.

Unbelievable!

Further on, one or the same continues the diatribe with a fawnicating declaration that puts Jon Clarke of the Olive Press on a gilded throne of supremacy (not verbatim) .... after all the years spent investigating the case of Madeleine McCann and the hundreds of people and witnesses he, Jon Clarke, has talked to how could anyone doubt his, Jon Clarke's, words?

angry2

None so blind than those who wish not to see.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 24.01.23 12:41

The recently posted article about the germanman's lawyers tactics to delay trial (what trial?) I'm sure was first reported a few months ago - this appears to be just another concerted effort to keep the agenda afloat.

I had a quick look to find the original report, to no avail but it's not important. Whilst eyes I cam across this little gem. This is a group of 'Brueckner dunnit' and Amaral is an incompetent buffoon with a criminal record like minded folk - with the odd infiltraitor. They talk of Jon Clarke of the Olive Press.

I took the time to listen to the podcast Murdered Missing Unsolved which continually plugs the book My Search for Madeleine.

I notice that the front cover includes a photo of CB (looking remarkably like Nadal) and MM together. I might have missed something but has he been arrested or convicted for his alleged role in MMs disappearance?

I notice the author is also very critical of Portuguese Police and disparaging of Praia da Luz in general.

At least he solved one part of this mystery for me. If you are a middle class professional you are a victim. That makes crime solving so much easier.

At the end of the podcast (and presumably book) he was no closer to nailing CB than law enforcement in Germany.

Anonymous

Talking of Jon Clarke of the Olive Press, he doesn't appear to have written anything for his insalubrious Spanish tabloid since before Christmas !?! Is he still active on social media (I wouldn't know) or has he secreted himself in the lawless hills, never again to appear in public?

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 24.01.23 12:53

Lest he forgets..

superman

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 29.01.23 14:01

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Scre3225

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 30.01.23 8:49

Just out of interest,
I have become aware of another website which gets round paywalls.

the first one we found was
12ft.io/          you type this in front of the main one and after a very short time it lets you in to read, but not to comment.    
Now we have
archive.is/     which is technically an archive site, but crawls the web all the time so is only a couple of seconds behind.

This means you can see if you have been abused and libelled by Jon Clarke and the Olive Press
WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY TO DO SO. 

And of course theOlive Press is always available without subscription on

https://issuu.com/theolivepress
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

sharonl, Silentscope and CaKeLoveR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 23.07.23 14:33

I continue to wonder if Jon Clarke was there at all, at least not on 4th May 2007 as a bona fide stringer for the British press.  What sort of press outfit does he operate - one man and his camera?  Len Port could be excused as he wasn't there in any official capacity, I wouldn't expect him to be roaming around with a satellite van, tripods and all the rest of a news reporter's paraphernalia.

The body in video coverage doesn't look anything like Jon Clarke to me but that's only one opinion, I could of course be very wrong not having ever met the man and having seen so many widely different images of him.  Almost as confusing as the many faces of Madeleine McCann circulated around the time to add to the purpose built deception.

One thing for sure, Len Port would know if Jon Clarke was around on 4th May 2007.

In my view, Jon Clarke is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, only really worthy as an object for ridicule.  He's clearly got a writers bent for imagination and sensationalism.  His journalistic reportage is akin to Bridget O'Donnell's Guardian spectacular .... 'My Month with Madeleine', or Swan and Edgars fictional account of the McCann version of the truth.

The past years, since May 2007, the media and press is littered with make believe reports about Madeleine Mccann - personally I don't consider one individual journalist/reporter to be any better or any worse than the next.  But then I have a very very dim view of the press and media in general.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 26.07.23 17:41

I'm trying to put some dates together.

When and where did Jon Clarke first report on the case of Madeleine McCann, in both the UK and the Olive Press?

Even though he might have joined forces with other UK based journalists as a freelance journalist beforehand, the Netflix Madeleine McCann documentary appears to be his launch into stardom.

superman

The documentary was released in March 2019 so much of the research and filming would have been during 2018 and possibly beforehand.

I'm trying to ascertain when, where and why he went rogue on the story.

Reverting to the Spanish connection, I'm still thinking Clarke might have some working or playing relationship with the former Metodo3 employee - Julian Peribañez, private investigator.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentscope 26.07.23 19:18

@Verdi wrote:
When and where did Jon Clarke first report on the case of Madeleine McCann, in both the UK and the Olive Press?

A: The net's closing in
Search for missing Maddy
The Sunday Mirror
6 May 2007
Lori Campbell Kate Mansey and Jon Clarke in the Algarve Portugal
[url=http://newsoutlines.blogspot.com/2007/05/nets-closing-in.html]http://newsoutlines.blogspot.com/2007/05/nets-closing-in.html
[/url]
Silentscope
Silentscope

Activity : 2363

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 27.07.23 0:43

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 27.07.23 5:36

There was nothing in his OWN newspaper until 28 October (from memory - we can look it up. It is in one of my Chapters as a footnote)

That sound suspiciously like an "exclusive contract with the Sun.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 27.07.23 12:22

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 Ms99rt10

AUTHOR
Jon Clarke
Biographies & Memoirs

Jon Clarke is a British investigative journalist with nearly three decades experience of newspapers and magazines. After training at local weekly newspapers in London, he joined the Daily Mail as a news reporter, before becoming a feature writer at the Mail on Sunday and briefly News Editor at Now Magazine.

In 2003 he moved to Spain to work as a stringer for most of the British national newspapers, before helping to set up the country's most popular English newspaper and website, the Olive Press (www.theolivepress.es), now in six parts of Spain and Gibraltar.

As well as undertaking hundreds of commissions for the British media, he has regularly appeared on television news programmes and was a key contributor to the benchmark Netflix documentary on Madeleine Mccann. He has written two other books. The first, Costa Killer, about the infamous Wanninkhof murder case, involving the former Holloway Strangler Tony King, and another, Dining Secrets of Andalucia, which spun off into a website.

Married with two children, he continues to work as an investigative journalist and is the editor of the Olive Press.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 27.07.23 12:38

My first port of call was of course CMOMM but there are so many threads dedicated to Clarke, in addition to your e-book chapters, finding the first Olive Press report was not an easy find - life gets in the way.

If, as you say, the first report published by the Olive Press was October 2007, that coincides nicely with the appointment of Metodo3 by Team McCann to privately investigate Madeleine McCann's disappearance.

I will have another look hopefully without the distraction of the fly persistently dive bombing my visage and I will move this conversation over to the general  superman thread.  

Don't want to see your latest chapter sullied by irrelevancies.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 29.07.23 12:21

Verdi wrote:One thing for sure, Len Port would know if Jon Clarke was around on 4th May 2007.

Len Port

Chapter Twenty-four

THE MADELEINE MYSTERY

The peaceful seaside village of Praia da Luz was the unlikely setting for what turned out to be the most reported and discussed missing person case in human history. The disappearance has also been one of the most mystifying, controversial and bitter cases of its kind in modern times. For me as a reporter it all started so quietly.

On arrival in the village before 8.30am on Friday 4th May 2007, I expected to see some urgent activity. A young British girl, Madeleine McCann, had gone missing the previous night. At first I saw no movement at all. The village was silent and still. While driving around, I came across a single police vehicle parked on the roadside at a junction of minor roads towards the back of the village. I parked directly behind it. A few uniformed police officers were standing outside a block of holiday apartments. The only other people in sight were two women in conversation close to a corner ground floor apartment, 5A. As I approached, I noticed that one of them was clearly distressed, so much so I guessed she must be the missing girl's mother, Kate McCann. Later I learned that the other woman was a senior social worker on holiday from England. I overheard Mrs McCann tell her the police were "doing nothing" to find her daughter. She complained that they had not even questioned people staying in the same block of apartments. I understood the social worker to suggest that a description of the missing child should be circulated more widely. That prompted me to introduce myself as an Algarve-based reporter and say that I could use contacts to arrange alerts to be broadcast on an Algarve bilingual radio station. It had flashed through my mind that such alerts had been broadcast when Rachel Charles was reported missing in the Algarve 17 years earlier. The social worker then mentioned the British Consulate. I said I could help there too as I knew the staff at the Consulate and had just spoken to one of them on the phone. Perhaps my offer sounded disingenuous coming from a total stranger and a reporter to boot. Anyway, it was ignored.

As I moved around the village on foot there was at least one obvious manifestation of police activity. Police officers with search dogs on leads were vigorously combing the vicinity of the apartments, the area around the village church, on down towards the seashore and along the full length of the long curving beach. It was all being done in silence.

The tranquillity outside apartment 5A gradually changed. As the morning and afternoon wore on, the number of people arriving on the scene steadily increased. Curious passers-by mingled with reporters, photographers, TV cameramen and staff manning outside broadcast vans. A mixture of Portuguese, British and other nationalities, we all stood around asking each other questions and wondering what had happened to the little girl. All these years later, we are none the wiser. In the days, weeks, months and years following Madeleine's disappearance, the few known facts have been drowned in an ocean of public confusion created by a combination of conjecture, conspiracy theories, distortions, misinformation and lies.

Madeleine's parents have always been adamant she was abducted from the apartment. Others think she may have left the apartment of her own accord in search of her parents and was later abducted or met with harm in some other way. Some are convinced her body was secretly disposed of after she died inadvertently in the apartment. The trouble with all these theories is that while each can be shown to be a possible explanation, none is yet backed by solid evidence that elevates it to one of certainty. Upon publication of the latest edition of this book, police in both Portugal and Britain are re-investigating the case, giving fresh hope that the mystery may finally be solved and that Madeleine, if still alive, will be returned to her parents. A breakthrough could come at any moment. On the other hand it may always remain a mystery. Meanwhile, let us reflect in a little more detail on this complex saga so far.

For the McCann family from Rothley in Leicestershire the trauma began on the sixth day of a weeklong holiday. They were staying in a modest, ground-floor apartment in a tourist complex. During initial police questioning the day after the disappearance, Kate and Gerry McCann said they had settled Madeleine, aged three, and her younger twin siblings into their shared bedroom at 7.30pm. An hour later, with the children asleep and leaving the back patio door of apartment 5A closed but not locked, they joined seven holidaying friends for dinner. As on previous evenings, they dined in a poolside restaurant situated at the back of the apartment. It was a minute or two's walking distance, about 120 metres, away.

Like Kate and Gerry McCann, four of their seven friends were medical doctors and some had children of their own. In the course of a few parental checks, Gerry McCann said he went back to apartment 5A between 9.05pm and 9.10pm and saw all three of his children sound asleep. Kate McCann went to the apartment at 10pm. Madeleine was not there. Within half an hour of Kate McCann rushing back to the restaurant to raise the alarm, members of staff at the tourist complex where the McCanns and their friends were staying initiated a search of the neighbourhood. Holidaymakers and village residents joined in. The Guarda Nacional República (GNR) was alerted and soon had officers on the scene. Two police search dogs arrived. Police at first thought Madeleine may have wandered off, but Portugal's criminal investigation service, the Polícia Judiciáia, was informed after midnight. The neighbourhood search involved about 60 people on a calm and cloudless night with a full moon. It went on until about 4.30am.

Jane Tanner, a member of the group of friends, told police she saw a man with a child in his arms crossing the road in front of the McCanns' apartment at about 9.15pm, soon after Gerry McCann's check. For more than six years this sighting remained central to the McCanns' insistence that their daughter had been abducted. A family on holiday from Ireland also saw a man carrying a young child. This was much further away, closer to the centre of the village, at 10pm.

From the earliest days of the Portuguese investigation, the McCanns received a great deal of moral and financial support. The British Foreign Office showed remarkable interest. A wealthy Scottish businessman, Stephen Winyard, offered a £1 million reward for information leading to Madeleine's return. English tycoon Richard Branson was among those who donated to the Find Madeleine fund that quickly reached more than £2.5 million. Football star David Beckham, then playing for Real Madrid, held up a Madeleine poster in a televised appeal in Spain. In seeking publicity on a grand scale, the McCanns met with Pope Benedict XVI in Rome at the end of May and had a photograph of their missing daughter blessed by him. Gerry travelled to Washington courtesy of Branson's Virgin Atlantic airline and visited the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, the Justice Department, Capitol Hill and the White House.

By then, police had questioned and declared Robert Murat an arguido (suspect). Jane Tanner had claimed she was almost certain Murat was the man she saw carrying a child. Although insisting he had spent the evening with his mother in her house a short distance from apartment 5A, Murat became the subject of wild rumours and false newspaper speculation. International media coverage reached new heights four months later, in September, when Kate and Gerry McCann were also declared arguidos. Clarence Mitchell, who had earlier spent a month with the McCanns as a representative of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, relinquished his position as director of the media monitoring unit at the British government's Central Office of Information to become the McCanns' official spokesperson.

Among the obstacles confronting the Portuguese police was the ever-pressing presence of the media. Their constant demand for news was complicated by a Portuguese law that forbids the police from openly discussing or divulging any aspects of a criminal investigation. Article 86 of the penal code amounts to a gagging order on releasing anything that might prejudice a case. As the investigation wore on, this lack of information frustrated reporters faced with editors' demands for sensational stories. In the absence of official statements and verifiable advice, certain newspapers indulged in an orgy of innuendo, speculation, grossly inaccurate and even fictitious reporting. 'Leaks' from the Portuguese police to the Portuguese press were repeated and sometimes embellished in mass-circulating British tabloids. Some of the papers were eventually taken to task for defamation and obliged to pay large sums in damages.

The lead detective in the investigation, Gonçalo Amaral, looked into the likelihood of abduction but found no evidence to substantiate the McCanns' insistence that their daughter had been kidnapped. He came to suspect that Kate McCann had lied in claiming that an intruder had opened the front window and jemmied the shutter in the children's bedroom. He thought the parents might have invented the abduction story as a cover-up after Madeleine died inadvertently in the apartment, perhaps from an overdose of a sedative or a fall. This theory seemed to be supported by traces of blood and cadaver odours found by two specialist dogs brought out from the UK. The traces were found in the apartment and in the boot of a car hired by the McCanns.

Five months into the investigation, Gonçalo Amaral's involvement suddenly ended when he was dismissed from the case for imprudently alleging that police in Britain were biased towards the McCanns. Then, in July 2008 after 14 months of probing with no conclusive breakthrough, the Polícia Judiciária wrapped up their final report. Portugal's attorney general lifted the arguido status on all three suspects and formally archived the case.

In 2011 at the behest of the McCanns, Prime Minister David Cameron and Home Secretary Theresa May asked the Metropolitan Police Service to review the vast amount of documentation from the original Portuguese investigation, as well as the results of inquiries made by a succession of private investigators hired by the McCanns. After two years, the Met upgraded its review to a full-scale investigation. Five months later, in October 2013, the Portuguese authorities ordered a re-opening of their own investigation and went to work on new evidence they had uncovered. This occurred while a civil libel action was in progress in Lisbon in which the McCanns were suing Gonçalo Amaral over a book he had written, A Verdade de Mentira (The Truth of the Lie).

The McCanns had accepted £550,000 in 2008 from Express Newspapers in compensation for scores of defamatory articles in the Daily Express, Daily Star and their Sunday sister titles. Robert Murat was awarded £600,000 in libel damages from Express Newspapers, Associated Newspapers, the Mirror Group and News Group Newspapers. In compensation for Amaral’s book and a TV documentary based on it, the McCanns demanded €1.2 million.

The McCanns said the Portuguese police had been "very open" with them at the beginning of the original investigation. Three months down the line they still had "a very good working relationship." Things hit rock bottom in September 2007 on being declared official suspects. Faced not only with deep parental anguish over the loss of their daughter, Kate and Gerry McCann now had to cope with the humility of being publicly suspected of being the cause of her disappearance. Kate's mother Susan Healy was widely quoted as saying that the pressure on her daughter was so great, "I don't know how long she will hold on for... I don't know if any human can take such pressure." She added: "Kate is an only child. If it was me, I'd die. But she can't let herself get so low. She has to think of her family, of Gerry and the twins."

Amaral sank to a low ebb as well. With pent up frustrations over what he regarded as bias by the UK authorities and non-cooperation by the McCanns, he resigned from the police service and became the target of insults in the British press. His marriage broke down, he moved away from his daughter in Lisbon, grieved over the death of both his mother and father, and lost weight through illness. Soon after the 2013 start of the Scotland Yard investigation, the Jane Tanner sighting of a man carrying a child outside the McCanns' apartment became irrelevant when the man was publicly identified as an innocent father carrying his own child home from a crèche on the complex. The other sighting by an Irish family took on much greater significance with the simultaneous publication of two e-fit images produced by a team of ex-MI5 private investigators employed by the McCann's Find Madeleine fund after the Portuguese authorities had shelved their investigation five years earlier. Publication of the e-fit images along with televised appeals for information resulted in thousands of phone calls and emails. With international public interest in the case elevated to its 2007 heights, the Portuguese police re-opened their investigation to run both alongside and in conjunction with the British police.

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t17230-len-port-the-madeleine-mystery#447026

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentscope 14.09.23 15:13

Once upon a time there was a little Boy who wanted to take up Journalism.

Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 417f87dd-5db2-4245-b35d-45e6d6cbe17c

Reminds me - where is my Cheque book? thinking
Silentscope
Silentscope

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 14.09.23 16:24

Silentscope wrote:
Olive Press:  The Man the Money the Mischief - Page 7 417f87dd-5db2-4245-b35d-45e6d6cbe17c

What is this ^^^ supposed to be?

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentscope 14.09.23 21:22

Please delete above until I can find it again.
Silentscope
Silentscope

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 14.09.23 21:29

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40913

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 15.09.23 0:53

Well that is page 7 but so is this.

None the wiser.

I await the source ....

waiting

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top