The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Tony Bennett on 13.01.11 13:22

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00cthwn/The_Peter_Levy_Show_06_01_2011/




Transcript

By Nigel Moore
With thanks to A Miller

Peter Levy: Yes, here we are, BBC Radio Humberside, BBC Lincolnshire and we're into the second hour this Thursday. Thank you for being there. I hope your day is good. Now, anyone who's followed the sad case of the missing girl, Madeleine McCann, will know the name of my next guest. Clarence Mitchell is a former BBC journalist and television presenter who started his career here, at the BBC. He's been spokesperson for Kate and Gerry McCann since their daughter disappeared in May 2007 and Clarence is joining us on the programme today. Clarence, good afternoon to you.

Clarence Mitchell: Peter, good afternoon. How many years has it been since we last spoke?

Peter Levy: I don't know, it's, errr... it's quite a few years, errr...

Clarence Mitchell: Too many.

Peter Levy: Too many... 'cause, errr... for people... Clarence used to work at, errr... Look North... in fact, you used to live... you used to live in Hull, didn't you? Or some...

Clarence Mitchell: That's right, on Sunny Bank, in Hull, errr... I... I... it was a great city, and I very much enjoyed my time there. It was, phwooah, some years ago now. It would have been 88/89, around then; the last century, virtually.

Peter Levy: My... my, errr... memory, well, there's memory... many memories of you, but... but you actually were the... the journalist who... I think you were... you were travelling back from London in your car the night of the... of the terrible, errr... air crash at Kegworth, weren't you?

Clarence Mitchell: I was. I'd actually been down to London to visit my parents, errm... while working on Look North during the week, errm... and I was on the way back up on the M1. I was at Leicester, Forest East Service Station, errm... and the first I was aware of what seemed to be a major accident was the number of ambulances and police cars flying under the... the restaurant that straddles the motorway there. Errr... And I immediately got in my car and basically followed them, as... as reporters should do, and it became clear very appar... very quickly that this wasn't a... a simple, local, small accident, errr... this was a major incident and, errr... yes, you're absolutely right. I... I broadcast live, errr... using a early rudimentary mobile phone from my car, errm... at the beginning of, errr... from memory, that would have been 89.

Peter Levy: Coming up to... to date, or more recently, how did you first meet the McCanns?

Clarence Mitchell: I met them, errm... because of my role following the BBC, errm... I was with the BBC, as you rightly said, for around twenty years. I then joined the Cabinet Office, errm... as director of the media monitoring unit for, errr... the government which meant working at... with No. 10 and all of the major Departments of State and because of my existing media contacts, errm... whenever a big story came along, errr... I was considered, errm... as a possible, errr... press officer, if you like, for the government to go and assist the media on the ground. Now I thought it would be something like bird flu, or foot and mouth, or perhaps another terrorist incident where government press officers are... are sometimes sent out to assist the police or the emergency services on the ground deal with the media, errm... but as it was, errm... I was told that a... a child had gone missing in Portugal and, errr... the media interest was developing very rapidly and that the ambassador in Portugal had asked for assistance for his press office team, errm... So I was effectively seconded to the Foreign Office and sent out to Portugal. I actually met Gerry for the first time in Leicestershire. He came back to collect some belongings from home, errr... and he and I then flew back to Portugal in May 2007 and I met Kate out there for the first time. So that's... that's how it came about. I went out as a civil servant and met them through the... through the consular assistance that they were offered.

Peter Levy: What are they like as... as people, because, I mean, they... they've been through, you know, errr... hell and back really but... and also, at one time, of course, everybody was pointing fingers very much at... at them?

Clarence Mitchell: They are coping as... as best they can under the circumstances. Nobody ever expected that, errm... we'd be here, what, nearly four years further down the line without Madeleine being found, errr... without her being recovered and brought home to... to her rightful place at home with them. Errm... they have good days and bad days like anybody. If they feel that there is momentum in the private investigation that's still very much ongoing - they have a small team of former British police officers working on the case - errm... they feel, they... they draw strength from that or if the campaigning side of the work that they constantly do, errr... is going well, again they... they draw strength from that. It's during the quieter periods when nothing much appears to be happening, errm... that they can... they can be knocked back a little bit and that's only natural and perfectly human. Errm... But they are very committed to the search for their daughter. They want an answer. And until they know what has happened to their daughter, and until this awful situation is resolved, they will keep going. And yes, you're right, there was a lot of criticism at different times and a lot of leaked rubbish, frankly, that came out in the Portuguese press and was then repeated without any attempt to check it in the British media and then recycled a third time into... back into Portugal. Errm...This was a very difficult period for them. They were, errr... part of the investigation as 'arguido'; the status that's given to people who, errr... the police wish to speak to about incidents in Portugal. But that status was ultimately lifted and the Portuguese Attorney General made it clear there was absolutely no evidence, errr... to, in any way, to implicate them in Madeleine's disappearance which, of course, there isn't because, errm... I know them well enough now to say with with absolute confidence that... that... of course, they were'nt involved. They are a grieving family and they need all the help and support they can get, errm... to keep the search for their daughter going.

Peter Levy: You can't imagine what it would be like as a...as a...as a parent to know that the finger is pointed at...at you, when they're going through that. I mean, it... it's extraordinary really, isn't it?

Clarence Mitchell: Well, it... it is, but it is also perfectly understandable. In any police enquiry the police will look at those nearest and dearest to the victim of the crime. It... it's a standard procedure and... and, you know...

Peter Levy: Because, very often... very often it is those people.

Clarence Mitchell: Well, in this case, it isn't! And, but... you know, Kate and Gerry would be the first people to say they welcomed the police looking at them so that they could be ruled out. You know, they made that point themselves several times early on, errm... that the police should do whatever they need to do to find the true abductor; the person responsible for Madeleine's disappearance. Errm... and, as I say, that process was a lengthy, drawn out one and there were very, errr... a great number of unhelpful leaks at times, speculative things that weren't factually correct, then got repeated, errr... there were language difficulties, translation difficulties, all sorts of things that led to this storm around them, errm... and it was... at times it was very bleak for them to have to cope with that, but they got through it and, as I say, they... they are as strong as ever as a couple and they're doing their best to... to cope and maintain momentum behind the search for their daughter.

Peter Levy: Well, you've given them, errr... amazing support your... yourself. Errm... What... how do they... when you say there's teams of people working, are these... these are not, errr... errr... ordinary police, these are... these are... are 'paid for' hired police, are they? Working on it, still?

Clarence Mitchell: There is... there is no official police search, if you like, for Madeleine going on, errm... at all. When... when the Portuguese authorities shelved the case, errr... that effectively ended the formal police work. Of course, if any significant new leads were to develop, then the police may well re-visit it. But, at the moment, the only people actively looking for Madeleine are a small team employed by the McCanns, errr... through their Fund, and the pub... British public - in fact, the international public have been very, very generous to them - errr... money still occasionally comes in. Errm... They've also had a number of settlements with various newspaper groups, because of some of the libels that were written about them and their friends, and all of the proceeds of those actions have gone into the Fund to... to keep it going. Errm... And that money is used to employ... they've had a number of agencies, private detective agencies over the years, errr... on short term contracts. But currently, errm... it's the... the investigation is a private investigation being led by Dave Edgar, who's a former RUC officer, errr... retired, errr... and he calls in assistance, errr... from his colleague, former colleagues in various police forces, as and when he needs it. Errr... And there is work going on in Britain and in Portugal at different times but, because of the sensitive nature of it, obviously I can't go into any detail, but it's very much ongoing.

Peter Levy: No, I... I... I understand that to... totally. What... again, don't answer if you don't want to, but I know that every parent listening will be interested to know the answer to this. What do they... because it is a... the whole thing is a mystery; what... what do they believe, what do they think is the strongest possibility of... of what happened to little Madeleine?

Clarence Mitchell: Kate and Gerry know Mad... know their daughter well enough to know she didn't wander out of the apartment as has often been speculated. The only assumption they can make is that somebody took her out of the apartment. That is the working hypothesis on which the private investigation is also based. That there is somebody, perhaps one, or just two or three people out there who know what happened and that there was an element of pre-meditation, pre-planning went into it. Possibly because of the location of the apartment; it was on a fairly remote corner of that particular resort. Errm... Children would have been coming and going over months/weeks beforehand and there... it... the private investigation believes there was a degree of pre-meditation and planning, errm... and the very fact that nothing has been found of Madeleine since, not a trace, tends to suggest that she has been taken somewhere else and has been... hopefully, is being looked after, or at least cared for, errr... with someone. Errr... That is... that is the working hypothesis. In some cases, if... if God forbid, she had been harmed, she probably would have been found long ago but she hasn't been and that's why they keep going.

Peter Levy: So the belief is that she is... she is alive and being looked after, and probably still in Portugal?

Clarence Mitchell: As... as Kate and Gerry have always said, until they have the answer as to what has happened and until they are presented with incontrovertible proof that she has been harmed, they will continue to believe - just as logically, without any evidence to the contrary - that she could still just as easily be alive. And every time... even if they ever begin to doubt that themselves, which they don't, but if they ever do, something like Jaycee Lee Dugard in the States happens...

Peter Levy: Yeah.

Clarence Mitchell: ...or other people emerge from diff... very different situations but it can happen. It is rare, errm... but it can happen and each of those cases do give them a renewed hope that one day they too will get that call that says Madeleine has been recovered safe and well.

Peter Levy: They must be very heartened by the huge amount of... of public interest and... and concern and care for... for them, that there's been over the last 3 and half years?

Clarence Mitchell: They... they are immensely grateful to everybody who continues to support them, to the media as well. The very fact that you and I are now talking about it, so far down the line. Many other families of missing children, errr... have not had that luxury, if you like, of the continued media interest, which...

Peter Levy: Why did it capture the imagination so much?

Clarence Mitchell: Oh, how long's your programme? There are all sorts of reasons but essentially, errm... it... it played into the... every parental nightmare of losing your children whilst on holiday, errr... it raised the whole question of parental responsibility. Kate and Gerry felt they and their friends were mounting a perfectly correct and proper checking system on the... on the... given the... the lack of resources available to them, at the time, but they made a mistake and they... they got it wrong.

Peter Levy: And it's kicking... it's kicking yourself isn't it? You know, it's... it's the... it's... it's the... you know, it... and that... they've got to live with that, haven't they?

Clarence Mitchell: Yes, they do and, God forbid, they may have to live with that, you know, for the rest of their lives. Let's hope not, but... but they accept that they made a judgement call and... and, that million-to-one chance, it went wrong and, as you say, they... they have to live with that now. And some of the recriminations and online... there's a very small vocal minority online who... who attack them for being negligent. That is completely misplaced and entirely wrong and doesn't actually help find Madeleine in any shape or form. Errr... But the vast majority of right-thinking, decent people understand the awful situation that they find themselves in, errr... and are supportive and, of course, wish them well and hope that Madeleine will be found.

Peter Levy: And, of course, errr... we all do, and everybody listening as well. And they were planning a book to raise some money but they've delayed the publication because they didn't want it to... to clash with the royal wedding?

Clarence Mitchell: Well, that was a decision that was taken by... by the publishers. Errm... As I'm sure you know, any book publication involves quite lengthy lead in times with dates for printing, and distribution, and promotion and all the rest of it, errm... and they had announced... the publishers had announced, it would be April the 28th. Errr... Kate is still writing the book, at the moment. Errm... She's well on with it, but she's still writing it, and, errm... then, of course, the royal wedding was announced just after that as being the very next day, so logistically the media and all the distribution processes will be dominated by the royal wedding, in the run-up to that date, and probably slightly beyond. So it made... it made sense from the publisher's point of view to move the production deadline, errr... and the production... the publication date. Errr... This is quite common with many book... book launches. Errr... its only been moved on a fortnight and it's on May the 12th now - will be the day it appears - which, of course, is Madeleine's eighth birthday, which is also highly appropriate, and it will still be very much tied into the... the fourth anniversary of Madeleine going missing if... if, God forbid, we... we have to get that far. Errm... and of course by then some of the royal wedding coverage may well have moved on, errm... and hopefully people will be able to see the book and see what Kate and Gerry are saying, errr... much more clearly.

Peter Levy: Okay, well listen, errr... Clarence, it's, errr... it's good of you to, errr... come on the programme and, errr... and talk about them and when you next speak to, errr... Gerry and Kate do give them our, errr... best wishes. Errr... Very good to have you on the programme. I wish you well, onward. And, errr... and how do you spend your days, these days, when you're not, errr... when you're not, errr... doing the wonderful work for them that you are?

Clarence Mitchell: Well, thank you for the good wishes Peter, and, of course, I will pass those on... on to them. Errr... I speak to them pretty much virtually every day. I either phone or email or contact. Errr... And I will certainly make it clear to them that... that you... you've said that. Errm... I'm now working as a result of moving into Public Relations, if you like, with the Madeleine, errm... situation. I now work for a PR agency in London, Lewis PR. I'm the Director of Media Strategy and Public Affairs which means that I work with a number of their clients as well, advising them on their media contact. And if any particular stories flare up involving those clients I... I generally act as a... a bit of a go-between, in much the same way as I do for Kate and Gerry, with... with the media, the print, broadcast and online media. Errm... And on the public affairs side because of my governmental work, errm... I'm able to assist as well, where I can, with, errr... governmental contact for some of the clients too. So it's... it's a busy old agenda, errr... just as frenetic as... as the BBC in many ways; if it's on the other side of the fence.

Peter Levy: Well, I know you're a workaholic. That's what... that's what I can tell people, errr... but, errr... people, errr... in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Errr... Very good to have you on the programme, Clarence.

Clarence Mitchell: Peter, lovely to speak again, thanks very much.

Peter Levy: Bye.


avatar
Tony Bennett

Posts : 14611
Reputation : 2771
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Shropshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Felix on 13.01.11 13:27

Thanks Tony. It would be easier to digest without the red highlights though.

Felix

Posts : 57
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Judge Mental on 13.01.11 13:35

@Felix wrote:Thanks Tony. It would be easier to digest without the red highlights though.

Pick, pick, pick, pick, pick big grin

Perhaps you can spend your time doing the next interesting transcript, Felix?

avatar
Judge Mental

Posts : 2764
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-17
Age : 80
Location : Chambers

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by PeterMac on 13.01.11 16:24

Tony,
Many thanks for that, and for the highlighted points. Some food for thought and for more detailed analysis I think.
So the book is not finished. But did not one of the close relatives say it was ?
Or perhaps it was and the lawyers have struck a lot of it out, and it is being padded out or re-written.

"I know them well enough now to say with with absolute confidence that... they weren't involved." So that's all right then. All we have to do in future is to assign Clarence to any arrested person, and he can make his judgement on their guilt or inocence with "absolute confidence".

"Kate and Gerry know Mad... know their daughter well enough to know she didn't wander out of the apartment as has often been speculated. The only assumption they can make is that somebody took her out of the apartment. That is the working hypothesis..." So now Clarence has moved away from the McCann's absolute and definite and actionable-if-you-think-otherwise "knew at once that she had been abducted" to an "assumption" and "working hypothesis". Clarence, they are not the same thing at all. I think you may need to speak to G and K sometime very soon. Because if you don't Carter-Ruck may send you a letter for daring to question the official line.

"and the very fact that nothing has been found of Madeleine since, not a trace, tends to suggest that she has been taken somewhere else..." What brilliance ! What powers of deduction ! Mycroft Holmes would have fallen at his feet. 'If she is not in bed, she is somewhere else.' Sadly traces of Madeleine WERE found, in the lounge, in the car ... so that is not quite right.
avatar
PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 159
Join date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Felix on 13.01.11 17:08

Clarence certainly looks to have done well out of this.

Felix

Posts : 57
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Cherry on 13.01.11 17:21

CM - Kate and Gerry know Mad... know their daughter well enough to know she didn't wander out of the apartment as has often been speculated.


I thought it had been noted by residents of PDL that Madeleine had been found when she had wandered off before? (or was that never substantiated)
avatar
Cherry

Posts : 2159
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : Emirates Stadium

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by PeterMac on 13.01.11 18:45

Felix
"Clarence certainly looks to have done well out of this."
I really don't think so. He was previously saying that Madeleine's disappearance was a "complete mystery", which itself was against the official TM line which was that it was obviously, definitely and absolutely an abduction by a stranger, but now he is on record as saying that that itself is only an "assumption:" and a "working hypothesis".
Perhaps though ....
If he is truly speaking for the McCanns then he may be preparing us all for the book, in which the total lack of any evidence of an abduction has to be made clear. In that way TM will be able to say that the book is not in itself a sudden admission after 4 years that they made it all up and conned millions of pounds from the public on false pretences, because everyone who donated must have been deemed to have realised that it was only a "working hypothesis", and should have made their own judgement on the "assumption".
If the whole charade has for all this time been only an "assumption:" and a "working hypothesis" (hereinafter - A&WH-) then Carter-Ruck have not got a hope in hell of successfully suing anyone who makes other As or who puts forward another WH. I can feel a letter to them from one who has already had lengthy correspondence coming on. It must open up the prospect of "60 and More Reasons to Doubt the Initial Assumption and to Advance Evidence to test the Working Hypothesis."

From Wiki
A working hypothesis is a hypothesis that is provisionally accepted when no alternatives are available, or when the philosophical implications of the alternatives are considered to be absurd or otherwise undesirable. Like all hypotheses, a working hypothesis can be constructed as a statement of expectations. They can be linked to the exploratory research purpose in empirical investigation, and are also often used as a conceptual framework as they are well suited to qualitative research methods.
Working hypotheses should be constructed so that those testing the hypothesis can collect evidence that will either support or fail to support the expectation.

So in that respect I don't think he has done well at all. I can almost hear the fury in Rothley and the roaring like a bull and smashing of walls with fists. I would not like to see the new bruises on KM's arms this week.
avatar
PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 159
Join date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Felix on 14.01.11 0:27

@PeterMac wrote: Felix
"Clarence certainly looks to have done well out of this."
I really don't think so. He was previously saying that Madeleine's disappearance was a "complete mystery", which itself was against the official TM line which was that it was obviously, definitely and absolutely an abduction by a stranger, but now he is on record as saying that that itself is only an "assumption:" and a "working hypothesis".
Perhaps though ....
If he is truly speaking for the McCanns then he may be preparing us all for the book, in which the total lack of any evidence of an abduction has to be made clear. In that way TM will be able to say that the book is not in itself a sudden admission after 4 years that they made it all up and conned millions of pounds from the public on false pretences, because everyone who donated must have been deemed to have realised that it was only a "working hypothesis", and should have made their own judgement on the "assumption".
If the whole charade has for all this time been only an "assumption:" and a "working hypothesis" (hereinafter - A&WH-) then Carter-Ruck have not got a hope in hell of successfully suing anyone who makes other As or who puts forward another WH. I can feel a letter to them from one who has already had lengthy correspondence coming on. It must open up the prospect of "60 and More Reasons to Doubt the Initial Assumption and to Advance Evidence to test the Working Hypothesis."

From Wiki
A working hypothesis is a hypothesis that is provisionally accepted when no alternatives are available, or when the philosophical implications of the alternatives are considered to be absurd or otherwise undesirable. Like all hypotheses, a working hypothesis can be constructed as a statement of expectations. They can be linked to the exploratory research purpose in empirical investigation, and are also often used as a conceptual framework as they are well suited to qualitative research methods.
Working hypotheses should be constructed so that those testing the hypothesis can collect evidence that will either support or fail to support the expectation.

So in that respect I don't think he has done well at all. I can almost hear the fury in Rothley and the roaring like a bull and smashing of walls with fists. I would not like to see the new bruises on KM's arms this week.

Sorry Peter, hi
I meant that from a commercial aspect, Clarence has done very well for himself. Did anyone notice him prior to this case?

I take on board your observations though. Although I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of detail in this particular volume if I'm honest.

Felix

Posts : 57
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by littlepixie on 14.01.11 0:50

I noticed him before this case. I vaguely recognized him when I saw him waffling on TV for the Maddie story. How many jobs has he had since he started spouting the McCann mantra?

I bet his name is mud now.
avatar
littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Cherry on 14.01.11 0:53


Profile: Clarence Mitchell


Clarence Mitchell is back in front of the camera again - this time as the spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann, the parents of missing four-year-old Madeleine. Former colleague Laurie Margolis recalls his time as a BBC journalist.
My first memories of Clarence were when he joined the BBC as a regional reporter in Leeds.





Clarence Mitchell worked on several high-profile cases as a reporter

Then he made it down to London, first on Breakfast News, then as one of the team of reporters who worked for the main news bulletins on national TV and radio.
I was another in that reporter pool in the early 1990s, and it was a difficult time for many of us, because the BBC bosses of that era became obsessed with specialists, people who may well have known their topic, but were often poor at turning that into watchable TV News.
General reporters like Clarence were highly skilled TV journalists, able to get their heads round any subject at short notice. But such people were out of fashion, and I think Clarence found it frustrating.
Nevertheless, he became a major figure in several big domestic stories.
He was closely involved with the Fred and Rosemary West case, where a murderous couple had killed young girls and buried the bodies under their patio in Gloucester.
Royal coverage
He was one of the first reporters to arrive at Gowan Avenue, Fulham in south west London, when the immensely popular BBC TV presenter Jill Dando was shot dead in a murder many feel has never been satisfactorily explained.
And more recently, in a story he worked on right up to the day he left the BBC, Clarence led coverage of the murder of the Surrey schoolgirl Millie Dowler in 2002. The case has never been solved.
Towards the end of his BBC career Clarence became heavily used on royal stories. He was deeply involved in coverage of the post-Diana era and the death of the Queen Mother.
Clarence was also a presenter on various BBC news programmes, and may have been looking to make that the main plank of his career.
But the presenting world is a precarious and capricious one, and he never quite made it.
One night, when I was working through the night, Clarence was presenting hourly bulletins on BBC News 24.
He did the 1am, and the 2am, but at 3am a slightly dishevelled looking producer appeared doing the news. It turned out Clarence had closed his eyes, and had slept through the 3am programme.
Madeleine maelstrom
Clarence left the BBC quite suddenly, making a move into the Labour government as director of its Media Monitoring Unit. His salary was widely reported to be £70,000 a year.





Madeleine was last seen on 3 May

As the Madeleine McCann story exploded this summer, it became clear that a high level of control and organisation would be needed to cope with the media maelstrom.
Clarence was plucked from his job, and sent out to handle the media, rather than be part of the media, on a massive crime story. Now he's left his government job and gone in with the McCanns full-time.
Setting aside the essential tragedy of whatever happened to Madeleine McCann, I would imagine Clarence is content in his new role as the family's voice.
He's centre stage on a huge story, intimately involved as ever, and on television and in the papers all the time.
It was extraordinary how, last week, his intervention seemed to eliminate within hours any misgiving about the McCanns in the British media.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if he gets to tell us Madeleine has been found safe and well?


Profile: Clarence Mitchell


Clarence Mitchell is back in front of the camera again - this time as the spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann, the parents of missing four-year-old Madeleine. Former colleague Laurie Margolis recalls his time as a BBC journalist.
My first memories of Clarence were when he joined the BBC as a regional reporter in Leeds.





Clarence Mitchell worked on several high-profile cases as a reporter

Then he made it down to London, first on Breakfast News, then as one of the team of reporters who worked for the main news bulletins on national TV and radio.
I was another in that reporter pool in the early 1990s, and it was a difficult time for many of us, because the BBC bosses of that era became obsessed with specialists, people who may well have known their topic, but were often poor at turning that into watchable TV News.
General reporters like Clarence were highly skilled TV journalists, able to get their heads round any subject at short notice. But such people were out of fashion, and I think Clarence found it frustrating.
Nevertheless, he became a major figure in several big domestic stories.
He was closely involved with the Fred and Rosemary West case, where a murderous couple had killed young girls and buried the bodies under their patio in Gloucester.
Royal coverage
He was one of the first reporters to arrive at Gowan Avenue, Fulham in south west London, when the immensely popular BBC TV presenter Jill Dando was shot dead in a murder many feel has never been satisfactorily explained.
And more recently, in a story he worked on right up to the day he left the BBC, Clarence led coverage of the murder of the Surrey schoolgirl Millie Dowler in 2002. The case has never been solved.
Towards the end of his BBC career Clarence became heavily used on royal stories. He was deeply involved in coverage of the post-Diana era and the death of the Queen Mother.
Clarence was also a presenter on various BBC news programmes, and may have been looking to make that the main plank of his career.
But the presenting world is a precarious and capricious one, and he never quite made it.
One night, when I was working through the night, Clarence was presenting hourly bulletins on BBC News 24.
He did the 1am, and the 2am, but at 3am a slightly dishevelled looking producer appeared doing the news. It turned out Clarence had closed his eyes, and had slept through the 3am programme.
Madeleine maelstrom
Clarence left the BBC quite suddenly, making a move into the Labour government as director of its Media Monitoring Unit. His salary was widely reported to be £70,000 a year.





Madeleine was last seen on 3 May

As the Madeleine McCann story exploded this summer, it became clear that a high level of control and organisation would be needed to cope with the media maelstrom.
Clarence was plucked from his job, and sent out to handle the media, rather than be part of the media, on a massive crime story. Now he's left his government job and gone in with the McCanns full-time.
Setting aside the essential tragedy of whatever happened to Madeleine McCann, I would imagine Clarence is content in his new role as the family's voice.
He's centre stage on a huge story, intimately involved as ever, and on television and in the papers all the time.
It was extraordinary how, last week, his intervention seemed to eliminate within hours any misgiving about the McCanns in the British media.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if he gets to tell us Madeleine has been found safe and well?


His profile is on here littlepixie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7010286.stm

it has come out twice and wont seem to delete the copy so apologies you will have to read twice about his life
avatar
Cherry

Posts : 2159
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : Emirates Stadium

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Felix on 14.01.11 0:58

Clarence Mitchell: Well, thank you for the good wishes Peter, and, of course, I will pass those on... on to them. Errr... I speak to them pretty much virtually every day. I either phone or email or contact. Errr... And I will certainly make it clear to them that... that you... you've said that. Errm... I'm now working as a result of moving into Public Relations, if you like, with the Madeleine, errm... situation. I now work for a PR agency in London, Lewis PR. I'm the Director of Media Strategy and Public Affairs which means that I work with a number of their clients as well, advising them on their media contact. And if any particular stories flare up involving those clients I... I generally act as a... a bit of a go-between, in much the same way as I do for Kate and Gerry, with... with the media, the print, broadcast and online media. Errm... And on the public affairs side because of my governmental work, errm... I'm able to assist as well, where I can, with, errr... governmental contact for some of the clients too. So it's... it's a busy old agenda, errr... just as frenetic as... as the BBC in many ways; if it's on the other side of the fence.

I bet thats a nice little earner^^^

Nice plug for his firm too....

Felix

Posts : 57
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by littlepixie on 14.01.11 1:06

Thanks Cherry, he was one of those people you sometimes saw on the news. I don't think I would have known his name. He wasn't memorable like Geroge Allagiya or Reginald Bosanquet or Jan Leeming. Its voices of newsreaders that I remember more than anything. You dont really see Clarence on the "proper" news anymore though. How sad and embarrassing for him to end it all on such a sour note and under such dubious circumstances.
avatar
littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by littlepixie on 14.01.11 1:08

What a shame he has been reduced to "ducking and diving" on behalf of "clients".
avatar
littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Cherry on 14.01.11 1:08

Yes indeed perhaps he should have stuck to reading the news
avatar
Cherry

Posts : 2159
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : Emirates Stadium

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Felix on 14.01.11 1:14

@littlepixie wrote:What a shame he has been reduced to "ducking and diving" on behalf of "clients".

For a sizeable fee and stonking great pension, I shouldn't wonder.

Felix

Posts : 57
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by PeterMac on 14.01.11 8:31

Not sure about the pension. People who flit from job to job often do not get long enough anywhere to build up a pot. And few save.
avatar
PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 159
Join date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by PeterMac on 14.01.11 8:57

He is now talking about two or even three people being involved. So by implication he negates Tanner's statement.
And to describe the apartment as being " in a fairly remote corner" of the resort is just nonsense. It is about as close to central as you can get. Look on Maps.google, where it is clearly marked. Mitchell has been there. And stayed there for a long time. So he must know that he has just lied.
avatar
PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 159
Join date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Felix on 14.01.11 13:22

@PeterMac wrote:Not sure about the pension. People who flit from job to job often do not get long enough anywhere to build up a pot. And few save.

i don't think we'll be seeing him at the village community hall playing bingo in his dotage though - do you? winkwink

Felix

Posts : 57
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by aiyoyo on 14.01.11 13:41

@PeterMac wrote:Tony,
Many thanks for that, and for the highlighted points. Some food for thought and for more detailed analysis I think.
So the book is not finished. But did not one of the close relatives say it was ?
Or perhaps it was and the lawyers have struck a lot of it out, and it is being padded out or re-written.

More likely they are having to revise or rewrite the book because of injunction overturned.
They are more watchful of their back now than ever because every word in the book will be put under the microscope and analsyed. And if libel comes after the book release, their scathing the PJ book will either make an appearance in court or at the v least get mentioned, if for nothing else, than the 'profit it generates for mccanns' because of the irony of the mccanns and lawyers criticism of Amaral's purpose of his book.


"I know them well enough now to say with with absolute confidence that... they weren't involved." So that's all right then. All we have to do in future is to assign Clarence to any arrested person, and he can make his judgement on their guilt or inocence with "absolute confidence".

He has sure caught km's disease of err....ing and hmmm....ing a lot, not so confident as he said. He's enjoying his favourite hobby 'lying through as many teeth'.....Must be contagious..the err...ing and lying through as many teeth....!

"Kate and Gerry know Mad... know their daughter well enough to know she didn't wander out of the apartment as has often been speculated. The only assumption they can make is that somebody took her out of the apartment. That is the working hypothesis..." So now Clarence has moved away from the McCann's absolute and definite and actionable-if-you-think-otherwise "knew at once that she had been abducted" to an "assumption" and "working hypothesis". Clarence, they are not the same thing at all. I think you may need to speak to G and K sometime very soon. Because if you don't Carter-Ruck may send you a letter for daring to question the official line.

Not so strong on their 'paedophile abducted' stand anymore....maybe no money to be made using that line anymore.

"and the very fact that nothing has been found of Madeleine since, not a trace, tends to suggest that she has been taken somewhere else..." What brilliance ! What powers of deduction ! Mycroft Holmes would have fallen at his feet. 'If she is not in bed, she is somewhere else.' Sadly traces of Madeleine WERE found, in the lounge, in the car ... so that is not quite right.
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 319
Join date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by aiyoyo on 14.01.11 13:42

@Felix wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Not sure about the pension. People who flit from job to job often do not get long enough anywhere to build up a pot. And few save.

i don't think we'll be seeing him at the village community hall playing bingo in his dotage though - do you?

Dont be surprised to see him in KWIKSAVE or pound shop. His pension may not stretch to M&S!
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 319
Join date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Autumn on 14.01.11 15:02

@Felix wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Not sure about the pension. People who flit from job to job often do not get long enough anywhere to build up a pot. And few save.

i don't think we'll be seeing him at the village community hall playing bingo in his dotage though - do you? winkwink

More likelihood of him serving time behind bars should it ever transpire that he was in on this charade.

Autumn

Posts : 2603
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by aiyoyo on 14.01.11 15:07

Setting aside the essential tragedy of whatever happened to Madeleine McCann, I would imagine Clarence is content in his new role as the family's voice

I wonder whether the Journalist/interviewer is taking the piss!

From 70k/year media control managing for the Labour Government to being the SOLE voice of a family and the journalist is saying he's content as mccann's voice!

From representing the Govt to representing a pair of suspects........yeah I am sure he's going the MOON!
Ever wonder why he was pushed?

Whatever good past records or work he'd acquired or done is overshadowing by his work for the mccanns.
His name is now notoriously linked to the mccanns; and his name synonymous to the mccanns, that the media and press cant mention one without the other in the same breath!

His muddy name will never ever recover no matter what.

I bet throughout his working life he's never had to lie so much as he did in his new role as the mccann's voice. 4 years of lies for the mccanns must be quite a record for any employee.

Before he was better known than gm and now he's not even at par. He's reduced to an employee to a lesser man than him. Sure he must cursed the mccanns. Where did he step out of line and was forced into his present situation?
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 319
Join date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by aiyoyo on 14.01.11 15:10

@Autumn wrote:
@Felix wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Not sure about the pension. People who flit from job to job often do not get long enough anywhere to build up a pot. And few save.

i don't think we'll be seeing him at the village community hall playing bingo in his dotage though - do you?

More likelihood of him serving time behind bars should it ever transpire that he was in on this charade.

Oh no doubt about it. He's up shit creek with them.
But the idea of him sharing warm porridge with the mccanns in the same cell in the near future is .....not going to happen...not even in the foreesable future.
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 319
Join date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by pennylane on 14.01.11 16:16

Mitchell looked mighty petulant when he announced his resignation from MMU to go and work for the dodgy duo on a full time basis.

I got the distinct feeling he was unceremoniously pushed following the initial FFS results, and the 'hurtful and unhelpful' blood and cadaver dog alerts!

pennylane

Posts : 2756
Reputation : 1584
Join date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarence Mitchell's interview with Radio Humberside - The full transcript

Post by Blimunda on 15.01.11 19:46


To keep reading the news wouldn't have been enough for this great prodigious talented master in P.Relations, Clarenzio. That was too boring bored After his experience with the government.. .it would be much more interesting to get into a web of deceit in a tragic story of international coverage. He needs to feel "powerful" .
And he must feel powerful when so many people seem to believe what he throws up whenever he opens his
mouth.
bad

Blimunda

Posts : 52
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
McCanns apt & hire car


Blood and cadaver alerts
dismissed by UK Government


Retired DCI Gonçalo Amaral: "The English can always present the conclusions to which they themselves arrived in 2007. Because they know, they have the evidence of what happened - they don't need to investigate anything. All this is now a mere 'show off'."

Retired murder DCI Colin Sutton: "I would also like to make the point that Operation Grange was so restricted from the start as to be destined to fail."

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley made public on national TV that Operation Grange is a complete fraud.

Ex-DCI Andy Redwood had a "revelation moment" on BBC's Crimewatch on 14th October 2013 when he announced that Operation Grange had eliminated the Tanner sighting - which opened up the 'window of opportunity', in accordance with their remit, to allow the fake abduction to happen.

Despite "irrelevant behaviour" from blood and cadaver dogs in the McCann's apartment, on Kate McCann's clothes, and in the car they hired three weeks after Maddie disappeared, Ex-Chief Inspector, Ian Horrocks, said: "The thought that Kate and Gerry McCann had anything to do with the death of their daughter is frankly preposterous."

Gerry McCann called for example to be made of 'trolls'. SKY News reporter Martin Brunt doorstepped Brenda Leyland on 2 October 2014. She was then found dead in a Leicester hotel room. Brenda paid the price. She paid with her life.

Ex-Deputy Chief Constable, Jim Gamble QPM, congratulated SKY reporter, Martin Brunt, on twitter for doorstepping Brenda Leyland on behalf of Gerry McCann.

Prime Minister Theresa May introduces Prime Suspect Kate McCann to Royalty: The Duchess of Gloucester.

Good Cop Down: The reality of being a police whistleblower
https://goodcopdown.wordpress.com/