The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Mm11

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Regist10

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Empty Re: Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY

Post by Verdi on 19.11.20 0:54

This is news to me..

'If only we had never come here': my return to Praia Da Luz with Gerry McCann

Documentary maker Steven Anderson has seen at first hand how the McCanns coped with the agony of losing their daughter
By Steven Anderson 6 June 2020 • 6:00pm

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Telemm34
Gerry and Kate McCann in Praia Da Luz Credit: Luis Forra/Shutterstock

A few years after Madeleine McCann went missing, I returned to Praia da Luz with her father, Gerry. I was an independent television producer who had come to the Algarve to film reconstructions of what might have happened – the McCanns’ private detectives hoped broadcasting the footage might jog someone’s memory and lead to the crucial breakthrough.

Word quickly spread through the small village, and a crowd gathered as we followed Gerry to room 5A of the Ocean Club resort – the first time he’d been back. We filmed as he revisited the bedroom where he’d last seen Madeleine asleep in bed, her younger twin brother and sister in nearby cots. He surveyed the sliding patio doors, which had been left unlocked that night so they could avoid waking the children when they returned from dinner in the Tapas Bar, 70 metres away.

Gerry handled the moment and his emotions calmly. But while filming in the nearby restaurant where he and Kate had eaten with their group of friends – the so-called Tapas Seven – he suddenly needed a minute to himself. Walking away from our crew, he was out of my earshot, but heard to say, “If only we hadn’t come here.” His momentary self-chastisement was met by one of my colleagues, who tried to plead with him that it wasn’t his fault. “It’s the abductor who’s to blame,” I heard her say.

It was a striking moment as both Gerry and Kate tried hard to keep their composure in public. In the intense days immediately after Madeleine’s disappearance, they had received counselling advice to try to stay controlled in front of the media. Many kidnappers, they were told, “get off” on the grief that traumatised parents show on television, “so stay calm and don’t play into their hands.”

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Telemm35
Gerry and Kate McCann leaving church in Praia Da Luz Credit: John Taylor

Gerry is a consultant cardiologist and during the time we spent together I noticed a certain professional detachment take over. Like Kate, he was criticised in some quarters for not showing enough emotion, but to me, this looked like a coping mechanism. Madeleine had gone missing when she was in their care and both felt a crushing sense of responsibility. The only way ahead now was bringing all of his discipline and focus to the task of finding her – or, at least, finding out what had happened to her.

Like almost everyone, I was fascinated by the story from the start. On a personal level, I had been on Mark Warner holidays, similar to the resort where Madeleine went missing, with my own family. And on a journalistic level, it was the biggest, most powerful human-interest story I’d ever known.

At the end of the summer in 2007, I was asked to be the executive producer of a BBC Panorama programme due to air that November, marking 200 days since Madeleine went missing. Richard Bilton was the reporter and, as well as showing behind-the-scenes footage of Kate and Gerry, filmed by a friend of theirs in Praia da Luz that summer, we also secured an exclusive interview with one of the Tapas Seven, Jane Tanner, who spoke for the first time about what she had witnessed – a man walking away from the holiday apartments with a child in his arms, on the night Madeleine went missing.

After that, I made a programme for ITV marking the first anniversary of her disappearance, and spent time filming Kate and Gerry at their home in Rothley, Leicestershire. Our team also accompanied them to the European Commission, where they were campaigning for a child abduction alert system to be introduced across the continent.

What struck me was how incongruous it all was. An ordinary young family living in an anonymous cul de sac just outside Leicester, at the centre of this extraordinary story resonating across the world. Not only had their life changed forever, in the most appalling way, but they were now characters who millions believed they knew well enough to judge. I recall Kate’s exasperation at one sensationalist story that bore little relation to reality: “This isn’t a soap opera,” she said. “It’s real life, and it’s our life.”

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Telemm36
'This isn't a soap opera,' said Kate. 'It's real life, and it's our life.' Credit: Eddie Mulholland

I was with them when news broke that the owners of Express newspapers were ordered to pay them £550,000 for libel after publishing defamatory stories about their case. I was also filming with them when the Portuguese police announced the McCanns were no longer being considered “arguidos” (persons of interest) – a moment that should have been one of relief, but was tempered by the reality that the police were simultaneously “shelving” the case. The hunt for their missing daughter had effectively come to an end after just 14 months, and with no result. Living with this devastating new reality was clearly debilitating and I felt a certain empathy.

Like Kate, I’m from Liverpool, and like Gerry, I have a big, loud, working-class family, and did well enough to go on holiday to middle-class resorts. Gerry once spoke about briefly having the perfect nuclear family – before the unimaginable happened.

Over subsequent documentaries, my colleagues and I interviewed others involved in the case: various members of the Tapas Seven; Robert Murat, the first suspect who was subsequently cleared; and the Portuguese police detective, Goncalo Amaral, whose legal battles with the McCanns have kept the courts busy for more than a decade.

When some of the early weaknesses in the investigation began to become clear – failure to secure the crime scene and preserve potential forensic evidence – the British media turned its fire on the Portuguese police. The McCanns were wrongly suspected by many in the force of somehow orchestrating those attacks. The relationship poisoned quickly and to a significant extent, never recovered.

Various suspects were mentioned to us over the years, but never Christian Brückner – the 43-year-old German rapist and child sex offender, now the prime suspect – whose name I first heard only last week. It seems that Brückner wasn’t on Scotland Yard’s radar until 2017, after being turned in by his drinking friend in Germany, though Mr Amaral is said to have considered and discounted him back in 2007.

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Telemm37
The McCanns hold a photograph of how Madeleine might have looked as she got older Credit: John Stillwell/PA

As speculation mounts, I imagine that Kate and Gerry will be trying hard not to get ahead of the situation. I was with them on several occasions when new sightings of Madeleine were reported from all over the world, only to be met by a muted reaction from her parents. This seemed like self-defence: steeling themselves against building up hopes most likely to be cruelly dashed. Also, they had their own parents and relatives to consider. All were anxious for good news; the McCanns didn’t want to crush their dreams over and over again.

Both highly-educated doctors, they would have known that it was highly unlikely Madeleine had survived after vanishing that night. But as parents, they said they would never give up on her, they owed it to her, particularly as there was no evidence that she had come to any harm. They also had two more children and had to do all they could to give them the love and care they deserved.

After Kate published her book in 2011, and they succeeded in persuading the government to launch a Scotland Yard inquiry, the filming stopped. The McCanns felt they’d said all they had to say, and that the police should get on with the job, unhindered by the media circus their intervention would guarantee. But my time with them gave me an insight into one of the most remarkable stories of our times; how life can be transformed in an instant, no matter how much we like to think we’re in control.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/had-never-come-return-praia-da-luz-gerry-mccann/

Shame on you Mr Telegraph, shame on you!

What is it with these journalists, home and abroad, that can so casually sell their souls to the devil devi1 for want of a farthing?

bignono

Decent journalists, like politicians, are very few and far between.

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Activity : 26223

Back to top Go down

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Empty Re: Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY

Post by Verdi on 21.11.20 23:54

Since those halcyon days on location in Praia da Luz, seconded to cover the case of missing Madeleine McCann, journalist Gordon Raynor has risen to the dizzy heights of Political Editor for the Telegraph.

The sad case appears to have been a career advancement for many across the broad spectrum of the establishment.   If there's a buck to be made, just mention the name Madeleine McCann and the world is your oyster.

Madeleine McCann's family accuse police

By Caroline Gammell, Gordon Rayner and Nick Britten 10 September 2007

The family of Gerry and Kate McCann have attacked the Portuguese police for framing the couple over the disappearance of their daughter Madeleine, as it emerged that it may be another year before they find out whether they will face charges.

Philomena McCann, Madeleine's aunt, accused the police of "clutching at straws" in order to get the case cleared up.

"Kate and Gerry have been a thorn in their sides for a long time. What better than to cast them as the villains?" she told GMTV this morning.

"It is unbelievable they have been named as suspects - no-one believes the Portuguese police.

"To think they are so callous and psychopathic that they could have done that... two more loving parents you could not hope to meet."

The family wanted the police to refocus the investigation on finding Madeleine alive, and drop the assumption that she is now dead, she added.

As the McCanns made an emotional return to their home in Rothley, Leicestershire, 130 days after the four-year-old went missing, Portuguese police made it clear the investigation was not over "by any means".

The couple now fear the "cloud of suspicion" which hangs over their heads after they were named as formal suspects in the case will divert attention away from the search for Madeleine and leave them increasingly isolated in their attempts to find her.

They are also said to be "terrified" that their two-year-old twins, Sean and Amelie, could be taken into care if they are charged with any crime.

The McCanns had always clung to the belief that they would eventually return home with Madeleine, but instead Mr McCann faced the cameras at East Midlands airport as part of a family of four, forced to deny he and his wife were to blame for their daughter's disappearance.

Struggling to maintain his composure, Mr McCann, 39, said: "Portuguese law prohibits us from commenting on the police investigation. Despite there being so much we wish to say we are unable to do so except to say this: we have played no part in the disappearance of our lovely daughter Madeleine."

The McCanns were both named as "arguidos", or formal suspects, on Friday after two days of police interviews during which Mrs McCann was offered a "deal" of a suspended prison sentence if she admitted to "accidentally" killing her daughter and told police where the body was.

The move is reported to have followed the discovery of traces of blood in a hire car used by the McCanns, but serious doubts have been raised about the value of the evidence, leading to speculation that Portuguese police are unlikely to bring charges unless more evidence comes to light.

In an interview which Mrs McCann gave hours before being declared a suspect, which was published on Sunday, she said: "They want me to lie - I'm being framed.

"They are basically saying, if I confess Madeleine had an accident, and that I panicked and hid the body in a bag for a month then got rid of it in a hire car, I'd get a two or three years' suspended sentence.

"I was even told: 'Think about it - Gerry would even be able to work again.' It is ridiculous."

A spokesman for the couple said they were willing to return to Portugal to answer further questions "at any time" and that they had "nothing to hide".

Explaining the decision to return home, Mr McCann said: "After very careful thought, we want the twins to live an ordinary life in their home country.

"While it is heartbreaking to return to the UK without Madeleine, it does not mean we are giving up our search for her. As parents, we cannot give up on our daughter until we know what has happened."

The couple had decided late on Saturday night to book themselves on to an EasyJet flight from Faro to East Midlands airport, which landed shortly after noon.

Your View: Has this put you off visiting Portugal?
   Full coverage: The search for Madeleine McCann

They drove home to Rothley, where Madeleine's bedroom remains exactly as it was the day she excitedly left for the family holiday on April 28.

Although Mr McCann made a brief return to the house weeks after Madeleine's disappearance, it was the first time his 39-year-old wife had gone home.

A family friend said they had been reluctant to return home, as they are increasingly concerned that the investigation will grind to a halt without their continued presence in Portugal.

"The worst thing would be for the case to run down while this horrendous cloud of suspicion hangs over their heads," the friend said.

"There is a real concern that the Portuguese police now put this investigation in a dusty filing cabinet, never to be opened again."

Chief Insp Olegario Sousa, the police spokesman for the McCann case, insisted the investigation was "not over by any means".

He added: "The investigation will only end when we think the case file is complete and we hand our findings to the public prosecutor who then decides whether to drop the case or bring charges."

Sources close to the case said the process could take up to a year.

The McCanns had more bad news when they were told a request for the case to be reviewed by British police had been turned down.

Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, said she was satisfied with the way Portuguese police have conducted the investigation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1562721/Madeleine-McCanns-family-accuse-police.html

Promoted out of the sphere for some reason or beyond the sphere for services rendered?  What do you think Mister Mitchell?  You have the credentials to pass judgement!

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 22.11.20 0:10

The family of Gerry and Kate McCann have attacked the Portuguese police for framing the couple over the disappearance of their daughter Madeleine, as it emerged that it may be another year before they find out whether they will face charges.

Framing them eh - how so?  The evidence led the Portuguese police to develop their investigation - the evidence led directly to Gerry and Kate McCann.

Philomena McCann, Madeleine's aunt, accused the police of "clutching at straws" in order to get the case cleared up.

Why would the Portuguese police want to clutch straws to get the case cleared up?  The truth is their investigation was seriously hampered by interference by the UK authorities.  Had the Portuguese police been allowed to continue their investigation we would not be here now discussing the Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann.

"Kate and Gerry have been a thorn in their sides for a long time. What better than to cast them as the villains?" she told GMTV this morning.

Kate and Gerry a thorn 'in their sides'?  I think you'll find it was the Portuguese police that was a thorn in the sides of Kate and Gerry! What better than attack in order to defend.

"It is unbelievable they have been named as suspects - no-one believes the Portuguese police.

Oh no it's not!  Oh yes they do!

"To think they are so callous and psychopathic that they could have done that... two more loving parents you could not hope to meet."

Done what?

The family wanted the police to refocus the investigation on finding Madeleine alive, and drop the assumption that she is now dead, she added.

Refocus?  Do you mean the Portuguese police should consider only the McCann version of the truth and ignore the evidence that leads to another consideration?

bignono

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 22.11.20 0:27

A spokesman for the couple said they were willing to return to Portugal to answer further questions "at any time" and that they had "nothing to hide".

But they didn't return to Portugal to answer further questions did they. They didn't even truthfully answer questions before leaving Portugal did they.

The only reason the McCanns returned to Portugal, after they fled the country early September 2007, was to crucify the name of Gonçalo Amaral through the courts and trial by media.

That doesn't appear to be the actions of innocent parents of a missing three year old child. You'd think they would move heaven and earth to assist the investigation - even if they were suspected at any stage.

The loss of a child is the loss of life, there can be no turning back. The last thing you'd think of is yourself - only your lost child, no matter what was thrown at you personally. Could it be any worse that self loathing, self recriminations - eternal suffering at the hand of fate?

They could throw the book at you, it wouldn't compare to the heartache of losing your child.

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 22.11.20 0:30

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 The_su10

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer on 22.11.20 17:09

@Verdi wrote:Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 The_su10

That's just put me right off my tea  sick

Though for once I'm in complete agreement with Kate !

Activity : 2027

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 22.11.20 20:20

@sandancer wrote:
@Verdi wrote:Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 The_su10

That's just put me right off my tea  sick

Though for once I'm in complete agreement with Kate !

spit coffee

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.11.20 14:50

Lest they forget..

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Scre1063

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6986005.stm

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 01.12.20 1:00

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 40 Madele21

Dear Prime Minister,

As a devoted father and family man, you know the importance of children. Our beloved eldest child, Madeleine, was abducted from Praia da Luz, Portugal, four years ago. Since then, we have devoted all our energies to ensuring her safe return.

Today we are asking you - and the British and Portuguese governments - to help find Madeleine and bring her back to her loving family.

We live in hope that Madeleine will be found alive and returned to us. One call might be all that is needed to lead to Madeleine and her abductor.

To this end, we are seeking a joint INDEPENDENT, TRANSPARENT and COMPREHENSIVE review of ALL information held in relation to Madeleine's disappearance. Thus far, there has been NO formal review of the material held by the police authorities - which is routine practice in most major unsolved crimes.

It is not right that a young vulnerable British citizen has essentially been given up on. This remains an unsolved case of a missing child. Children are our most precious gift.

Please don't give up on Madeleine.

Kate & Gerry McCann

They did open-up the files, the PJ files in July/August 2008.

Why didn't team McCann like that particular exposé? Why did they insist, cajole, another exposé that was destined to include their own dubious private detective investigations, using public donations to the quasi-legal Find Madeleine Co. Ltd - literally money for nothing. Then the dubious intelligence (not the tabloid on this occasion) documented by various UK police forces, government departments, NHS sources, the media and the intimate friendship that quickly developed between government media manipulators, public relations consultants and one very enigmatic personage in the name of Jim I will if you will' Gamble, at the time chief executive of the CEOP - the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command.

thinking

Moderator/Researcher
Moderator/Researcher

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum