The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Mm11

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Mm11

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Regist10

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Empty Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell

Post by Jill Havern 07.03.17 6:43

Mr. Brown comes to Town
by Ben Thompson   2 years ago

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Brown%2Bon%2Bphone%2Bto%2Bgerry
Mr.Brown comes to town

Much has been said about the influence Gordon Brown had upon the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine Mccann. Certainly the political intervention in this case was something the like of which had never been seen before.

In her diary, Kate McCann wrote:

Wednesday, MAY 23: Gordon Brown (then Chancellor and PM in waiting) called and spoke with Gerry - very kind and giving encouragement.
Feeling a bit emotional afterwards.”

On the 27th May 2007, and with the original source being the Guardian, Brendan de Beer wrote:

Gordon Brown has personally intervened in the search for missing four-year-old Madeleine McCann after her parents became frustrated by the lack of progress in the police investigation.

After a series of telephone conversations with Madeleine's father, Gerry McCann, in recent days, the Chancellor requested assistance from the Foreign Office and the Home Office. He asked that pressure be brought to bear on the Portuguese authorities to allow more information about the inquiry to be made public.

Gerry and his wife, Kate, have been desperate for a description of a man seen carrying what appears to have been a child on 3 May to be made public, but Portuguese police refused for three weeks because of the country's laws, which forbid the details of an investigation being released.

The Observer understands that Brown gave the McCanns an assurance he would do “anything he can” to help. The British embassy duly applied pressure on the Portuguese authorities to find more flexibility in their secrecy laws. British ambassador John Buck visited the Algarve last Thursday. A day later Portuguese police made a U-turn and issued a detailed description of the man, said to be white, 35 to 40, 5ft 10in and of medium build, with hair longer around the neck, wearing a dark jacket, light beige trousers and dark shoes.

Asked whether Brown had influenced the decision, Clarence Mitchell, a Foreign Office spokesman for the McCann family in the Algarve, said: “Draw your own conclusions.” He said in a statement: “I can confirm that telephone conversations have taken place between Gerry McCann and Chancellor Gordon Brown. During them, Mr Brown offered both Gerry and Kate his full support in their efforts to find Madeleine, although details of the conversations will remain private.”

This e-fit was of course the man Jane Tanner saw, that sighting eventually amounted to nothing. I find it very strange the McCanns didn't push the Smith sighting with such vigour, but then from all of Tanners many descriptions, none looked like Gerry.

Clarence Mitchell of course denied that any political pressure was being applied on the investigation. In an interview with the very likeable Sandra Felgueiras, Mitchell was adamant that no political interference was taking place.

A rather odd comment to make considering it was Mitchell himself who was sent by the British Foreign office, and who was directly accused of hindering the police investigation. Carlos Anjos, head of the Portuguese Judiciary Police union said of Mitchell:

“Mr Mitchell wants to discredit the Polícia Judiciária and invent excuses so the McCanns do not come to Portugal to participate in the reconstruction of the night she disappeared.”

“He lies with as many teeth as he has in his mouth. Finally we know what side truth is on.”

As can be seen here, Clarence with his usual smugness, claims that it was him who was responsible for Gordon Brown contacting the McCanns:

Of course here we have a conundrum, as Jill Renwick, a friend of the McCanns, and also one of the first people the couple phoned with the false tale of the “broken” shutters, claims that she asked John Brown, the brother of Gordon to ask the PM in waiting for his help:

“I stopped him (John Brown) in the street the day afterwards and said, 'These are my friends. Do you think you could speak to Gordon about it?' And he said of course. I don't know if anything came about that way.”
                                                                                                                                         in Guardian, June 2, 2007

What was blatantly obvious though was that Gordon Brown was firmly on the side of the McCanns. He made the following statement that said as much:

“Every parent will be sympathising in their hour of need.”

Gonçalo Amaral had this to say about the political intervention:

“I don’t regret what I did, I did it with conviction, I did it to defend the investigation model, what a criminal investigation is supposed to be. Earlier, you spoke about the politically correct, the politically correct policeman. It is my understanding that criminal investigations cannot be politically correct, because they can’t be concerned with politics. And what happened, and continues to happen, is that we have to be politically correct, subordinate to the English power. That happens, it happened on the 2nd of October [of 2007] at the Lisbon Treaty, there were discussions between José Sócrates, then prime minister, and Gordon Brown, the English prime minister, who told the newspapers that he had asked the Portuguese prime minister about the [Maddie] case. So even before that it was already a political case. And when politics intrude into a criminal investigation, nothing will end well, whether the criminal investigation relates to a homicide, a burglary, a disappearance, or corruption.”
                                                                                              in Porto Canal interview, March 14, 2014

Relationships appeared to turn sour though, when in an article published by The Daily Mirror, dated  February 20, 2010  it was reported that:

Kate and Gerry McCann yesterday accused the British Government of hampering the search for their missing daughter. They claim Portuguese cops have leads to Madeleine's disappearance but they have been unable to access them. The couple say despite meetings with Gordon Brown and top UK officials, the three-year investigation has stalled. And they claim red tape is blocking their own inquiries using private detectives. After their successful attempt to maintain a legal ban on publication of a book which claims Madeleine is dead, Gerry, 41, called for a complete review of the case. He said: “There are certainly instances where information we think is very credible and worthy of further investigation has not been actioned.”

It seems Kate and Gerry like to live their lives through the press when it suits, and if you dare not to be bending over backwards for them, they'll let the world know in an attempt to gain yet more sympathy.

https://joana-morais.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/mr-brown-comes-to-town.html

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40913

Back to top Go down

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Empty Re: Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell

Post by Jill Havern 07.03.17 6:53

12 September 2007. Gordon Brown and Jacqui Smith visited a police station in Leicester, 4 miles from Rothley, to see first hand how the police are tackling crime.

8 Sept 2007 Kate and Gerry McCann made arguidos http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562417/Kate-and-Gerry-McCann-named-as-suspects.html

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Activity : 40913

Back to top Go down

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Empty Re: Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell

Post by Guest 07.03.17 7:52

Wasn't the Leicester visit 2 days after the McCanns got back to to Leicester?

Rothley comes under "Charnwood West Local Policing" - but they are based out of Beaumont Leys.

https://leics.police.uk/local-policing/charnwood-west/lpd_commander

Contact Chief Superintendent Andy Lee
You can contact Chief Superintendent Andy Lee by:
2 Beaumont Way 
Leicester 

LE4 1DS

A strange coincidence.

Gordon Brown and the political interference in the Maddie case via Clarence Mitchell Police10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor 07.03.17 9:25

"You must conceal all crimes of your brother Masons... and should you be summoned as a witness against a brother Mason be always sure to shield him...It may be perjury to do this, it is true, but you're keeping your obligations".
Carrry On Doctor
Carrry On Doctor

Activity : 586

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe 17.11.17 12:40

I caution in advance that I am probably going to express this very poorly! I have been pondering the extent to which having things in common clouds judgement and impacts on our readiness to believe in others and support them. It has often been said that had the McCanns been a "chavvy" family, they would not have been given (imagining they even had the wherewithal to seek it) the same level of support from those in power. I do believe this is true and that part of the support stemmed from the belief that "these parents in trouble are just like us" and this belief may have made it harder for those in power to initially suspect them of involvement.
Add to that the Gordon Brown and Gerry had mutual "acquaintances", his brother being involved also in Comare. Lastly, they were both born and raised in Scotland. I wonder how much national identity influenced things? I wonder too if Cat Baker's strong Irish background played any part in influencing her to assist the McCanns? I admit not knowing the answers but I often wonder about it.
Phoebe

Activity : 3046

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top