The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as many of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

POLL added: Have the McCanns really avoided all mention of the Smithman sighting?

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Smithman: Real or fake? Where are we all currently at?

1. I believe the McCanns are rattled by Smithman, and HAVEN'T promoted him, because it really WAS Gerry carrying Maddie's corpse to the beach. He DIDN'T intend to be seen;

2. As above but DID intend to be seen, but NOT recognised;

3. I believe Smithman really WAS Gerry but carrying a (sedated?) pyjama-clad DECOY child in the cold, playing a role in the staged abduction. He INTENDED to be seen, but NOT recognised;

4. I believe Maddie died days earlier, that Smithman is yet another FAKE story, that the McCanns, Grange and the BBC HAVE promoted this sighting for all its worth, to keep us looking at 3rd May because without Smithman they are SUNK as there is NO evidenc

5. I believe the Smith sighting IS GENUINE, but they COULD have seen another INNOCENT dad like Crecheman carrying his sleeping, pyjama-clad daughter in the cold, who just happened to look like Gerry McCann, but is UNAWARE he has been MISTAKEN as an abduct

6. I believe the Smith sighting is genuine, that Maddie really WAS abducted and the Smith's saw the REAL abductor, and that's why he hasn't come forward to eliminate himself;

7. Don't know.

View results

Re: POLL added: Have the McCanns really avoided all mention of the Smithman sighting?

Post by Verdi on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm sorry I offended you Pheobe, it wasn't intentional.

I asked a simple question that only warranted a simple reply, which you have answered amidst. Thank you!

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: POLL added: Have the McCanns really avoided all mention of the Smithman sighting?

Post by Phoebe on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 pm

@Verdi wrote:I'm sorry I offended you Pheobe, it wasn't intentional.

I asked a simple question that only warranted a simple reply, which you have answered amidst.  Thank you!
No offence taken, although I don't accept that a "simple" reply was warranted.  To suggest that someone would defend the Smiths blindly is a serious allegation. You also referred to all the "evidence" that they are lying. I feel that in the interests of strict truth and objectivity it must equally be pointed out that the "evidence"  based around the notion that Smith and Tanner gave matching descriptions of the men they saw is not soundly based.
Phoebe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lemonbutter on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 am

Jane Tanner and Martin Smith do not provide exact matches in their respective descriptions of the man they saw carrying a child. Phoebe has put forward robust arguments to suggest these differences should be thoroughly considered - not glossed over or ignored.

The sworn statements of the three members of the Smith family can be presented hundreds of times in posts, but I am still of the opinion that Martin Smith and his son and daughter have NOT fabricated their sighting of "the short-haired man carrying a child clad in pygamas" on 3rd May at 10.00pm.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering .... I am Australian, have never been to Ireland and I do not know the Smith family.
lemonbutter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by polyenne on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 am

Oh, and if anyone is wondering .... I am Australian, have never been to Ireland and I do not know the Smith family.

lol!

polyenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jazega on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 am

@Phoebe wrote:
@Verdi wrote:Phoebe, I appreciate your desire to robustly defend your compatriots, although I don't pretend to understand why -  good and bad in all walks of life in my experience.  I'm English but I'm not blind to the fact that some fellow country-folk are rotten to the core.

Forgive my asking - do you personally know Martin Smith or any of his family?  No problem if you decline to respond but it would help to explain your relentless defence in his honour, whilst flying in the face of all the evidence stacked-up against his veracity.  Who knows, you might even be able to vouch for his testimony and thus halt any further doubt.

Just a thought.
I was not aware I was "defending my "compatriots"". Why on earth would you infer/imply that? Am I now also part of some conspiracy theory, a plant to defend the McCanns?
 Gerry McCann is the only one of his Irish emigrant family not born in Donegal, yet I doubt I'll ever be accused of defending him nor Kate, Halligan, Gamble, Cat Baker etc. despite their links to Ireland.

I think Madeleine McCann deserves the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - not to have her disappearance  shoe-horned to fit any particular theory.

In answer to your question no, I do not know Martin Smith nor any of his family, nor indeed anyone who hails from Drogheda (a town I have never had the pleasure of visiting)

Goncalo Amaral is Portuguese, yet he believes the Smiths are truthful. Perhaps Goncalo has Irish connections - that must be it!

You accuse me of "Flying in the face of all the "evidence" stacked up against the Smith's veracity". I see no EVIDENCE, just guesswork and supposition. In fact, what I have done is to point out how unlikely it is that MI5 or any other government agency would be so stuck for an alibi to get Murat off the hook that they had to resort to getting an Irish tourist and his children to do the job for them. These agencies were allegedly covering up for the McCanns lest the P.J. suspect them of causing their daughter's disappearance - yet they select a man who tells the P.J. that he believes he saw Gerry making off with the child at the time she disappeared. How likely is that?
I have also pointed out that there are significant differences in the men as described by the Smiths and Tanner. How does it serve Madeleine to ignore or deny that? This is about her, not anyone's desire for "their"
theory to be correct.
I don't care if the Smiths come from Ireland, Timbuktu or Mars. I do care that what might prove vital evidence is not misrepresented.
Finally, Verdi, for what it's worth, I am British! Born and schooled until my teen years in England where all my cousins and extended family still live. I also have  British passport. I just happen to live in lovely (if rainy) Ireland. So, nice try but you barked up the wrong tree there. It just  goes to prove that theories can be wrong!

Well said Phoebe
jazega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Getting back to the actual title of this thread it is fascinating to note the metamorphosis in Jane's account of Tannerman. The report in which Martin Smith expressed his belief that the man he saw was Gerry McCann was forwarded to  the P.J. on Sept. 20th. Two months later, Tannerman underwent an amazing evolution.

He had shrunk - from 5ft 10 in May to 5ft 6 by Nov. 16th before magically gaining another couple of inches - 5ft 8 by Nov 19th.

He had become rather hirsute - "Hair.. the one thing I remember is 
a lot of hair. He did seem to have quite a lot of dark, (it was black by Oct. 28th) reasonably long to the neck hair."( 19th Nov.)

He had changed skin colour from white in May to "More local or Mediterranean looking/swarthy skin" (Nov 19th)

By October 28th he was wearing a maroon shirt, and a heavy dark coat by Nov 19th.

His trousers were still golden-hued however. By Nov. 19th they were "Camel coloured".

Assuming that Jane was batting for team McCann it would be fair to deduce that they agreed to/instigated this evolution of Tannerman's appearance. It may have left Jane looking ridiculous but it did emphasize that the abductor looked nothing like the man the Smiths claim to have seen!
Phoebe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jazega on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 pm

With regard to the poll,I opted for the third choice,however I agree with the first part of the fourth choice that she died earlier in the week.
Gerry carrying a sedated decoy around seems very possible,it strengthens the abduction theory and takes the light of foul play or accidental death.
Strange that when Martin Smith asked "is she sleeping ",he did not receive a reply
jazega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:49 am

Jane Tanner made herself look ridiculous within minutes/hours/days of Madeleine's disappearance with tales of her alleged sighting. Perhaps Gerry McCann's insistence proved too much for her,  intimidated and/or confused her, I believe she said in one of her statements that she found him a bit over-bearing, or words to that effect.

Jane Tanner's sighting certainly evolved over a period of time, from eggman to Muratman to Tannerman and eventually crecheman, courtesy of ex-DCI Andy Redwood - with any number of descriptions in between.  

No problem, the experts eventually refined Tannerman in order to remove any doubt and/or apparent disparity, only to be replaced by Smithman released during the infamous Crimewatch 2013 Madeleine McCann Special - which  incidentally looks absolutely nothing like the head of the stranger described by the Smith family or even Gerry McCann - despite Martin Smith's reconnaissance of the McCanns arrival back at Blighty and said to have been based on his original sighting.  What happened to the body is all a matter of conjecture.

As you say Pheobe, reverting to the thread title, no - the McCanns haven't really avoided all mention of the Smith sighting.  Kate McCann emphasizes it in her novelette 'madeleine', it features prominently on the official Find Madeleine website and it was promoted by the Metropolitan Police through the auspices of the BBC's Crimewatch television production, who have actively been supporting the McCann faction since the early days.

In addition, the Madeleine 'Leave No Stone Unturned' Fund Limited Company, received a healthy pay-out from the Sunday Times, a subsidiary of the murky Murdoch empire, for a negative report about Oakley International (founder now deceased Kevin Halligen).  One could almost be persuaded to believe that this was a cunning plan to swell the fund coffers - but that's just speculation.  Personally, I don't believe the story - it could have been an act of revenge by a disgruntled Henri Exton or it could have been downright fabrication, as I suggest to screw the Times for a few bob.

I doubt we will ever know.  What we do know however, is the content of the various witness statements and the many discrepancies and contradictions they reveal - the Smiths included.

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:09 am

No wonder it took them so long to come up with Crechedad. Where's a chameleon when you need one! I wonder was he 5 ft 6 or 5ft 10 for that picture? Pity he didn't keep the maroon shirt as well as the pyjamas. It might be my old eyes but he is the palest "swarthy" man I've ever seen. Maybe Jane will feature on a "Shoulda gone to Specsavers" advertisement. She could even donate her fee to the "Leaving No Lie Untold" fund. specs
Phoebe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am

Or she could just tell the truth and put us all out of our misery.

Oh no, that's but a pipe dream away snooze.

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum