The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Mm11

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Mm11

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Regist10

'ROGUE OF THE DAY'

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Empty 'ROGUE OF THE DAY'

Post by Jill Havern 04.01.17 11:10

CMOMM's new 'Rogue of the Day' Feature

We're kicking off CMOMM's new 'Rogue of the Day' feature with Sir Philip Green. And as Julie Andrews might have sung: 'A very good place to start'. We will try to add another rogue each day. 

The general idea is to illustrate the sheer number of rogues who have been, or still are, associated with the McCanns. These could be people who've helped them, people they have employed, allegedly to 'find Madeleine', people who have promoted them, or friends they have had dinner with (mentioning no names, Sir Clement Freud, you'll be up there in the gallery soon enough).

This is an interactive, member-participation thread, so make any respectable comments you wish, suggest names of possible rogues for inclusion, or even write a post about your favourite rogue who's been associated with the McCann case.

The Admin Team have a ready list of rogues' names in the pipeline, so without further ado, here's the man who took the McCanns, Clarence Mitchell, Press photographers and Cuddlecat to see the Pope:

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Girl-m12

Kate and Gerry McCann boarding Sir Philip Green's private plane

Sir Philip Green

Sir Philip Green’s act of kindness to the McCanns was to loan them the use of his private jet to fly to Rome, on 30 May 2007, to have a brief meeting with the Pope in St. Peter’s Square, a very public event beamed across the world. Green represents the worst face of capitalist greed in today’s Britain. Widely scorned by today’s tabloids as ‘Sir Philip Greed’, or ‘Sir Greedy’, his greatest crime was to sell the BHS retail empire for £1, having milked it of hundreds of millions siphoned into the bank accounts of himself and his wife, a Monte Carlo resident.

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Philip10

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40913

Back to top Go down

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Empty Re: 'ROGUE OF THE DAY'

Post by Verdi 04.01.17 12:26

Sir Richard Branson - Billionaire

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' 8a0bd98d923dfbe77466ba6dba7e25c4.... on the ridiculous 

Knighted in March 2000 for 'services to entrepreneurship' - roughly translated means being a power crazy hypocritical capitalist that strives to take over just about every corner of the market at home and abroad

Affectionately known by me as Tricky Dicky
Patron of 'Missing People Charity' - the place that harbours Kate McCann as 'an ambassador'

Owner of the exclusive Kensington Roof Gardens, loaned to the McCanns to host a money raising function

Owner of Virgin airlines who flew Gerry McCann club class to the US of A in July 2007

Pledged/donated (depending  which report you read) 100,000 quid to pay the McCanns legal bills and/or to swell the reward on offer (again depending which report you read)

Owner of Necker Island and Moskito Island (ironically part of the British Virgin Islands), exclusive retreats for the wealthy and influential

More skeletons in the closet than Benjamin Franklin

All round bad egg

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 42327

Back to top Go down

Post by tnb 05.01.17 1:20

This thread needs to brought to a halt now, as far as I can see it makes no inroads to the ultimate aim of this forum.
tnb

Activity : 129

Cammerigal dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 05.01.17 7:49

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Brown10

Gordon Brown

Gordon Brown was in regular personal contract by ‘mobile phone with Gerry McCann in the weeks after Madeleine was reported missing. Quite why he took such an interest in the case was a mystery as he was the Chancellor of the Exchequer at the time. It was the job of the Foreign Office to help the parents of a child who had gone missing abroad. When the Portuguese police, understandably, were reluctant to publicise the description of a man, said to have been seen by the McCanns’ friend Jane Tanner on the night Madeleine was reported missing, Gordon Brown stepped in and leaned on the police to release the description. As is documented in Portuguese police reports, they believed Jane Tanner’s evidence to be a worthless fabrication designed only to prove the existence of a non-existent abductor. Later, as British Prime Minister, Gordon Brown struck a fatal blow against the valiant Portuguese police investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance. He again leaned on the Portuguese government to get rid of the investigation co-ordinator, Gonçalo Amaral. Amaral was sacked as investigation co-ordinator on 2 October, and the investigation passed into the hands of a useless puppet, Paulo Rebelo.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmaryholmes 05.01.17 12:35

tnb wrote:This thread needs to brought to a halt now, as far as I can see it makes no inroads to the ultimate aim of this forum.
I beg to differ. There are so many VIPS ( so called) involved in this case. There has to be a reason, a link.
Cmaryholmes

Activity : 915

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 05.01.17 15:23

tnb wrote:This thread needs to brought to a halt now, as far as I can see it makes no inroads to the ultimate aim of this forum.

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Fire-Exit-Sign-Running-Man-Through-Door-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-400x200mm-0

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by tnb 05.01.17 17:02

Cmaryholmes wrote:
I beg to differ. There are so many VIPS ( so called) involved in this case. There has to be a reason, a link.
Are you suggesting so called VIP's were involved in the death (albeit accidental) and occultation of Madeleine? If so please post a verifiable link.
tnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmaryholmes 05.01.17 17:14

Not at all. I would suggest that the Mccanns had an unusual level of support from 'VIPs', which raises many questions.
Cmaryholmes

Activity : 915

Knickers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tnb 05.01.17 18:23

Cmaryholmes wrote:Not at all. I would suggest that the Mccanns had an unusual level of support from 'VIPs', which raises many questions.
I agree, they did have an unusual level of support from certain individuals, but your claim they are involved is beyond me. Some may say their support was truely altruistic, while others, myself included, seen it as nothing more than a promotional scam to suit their own ends, namely, prosperity and social standing. Now think about it, if the McCann's were convicted tomorow? What would these individuals say? "I thought I was doing the right thing at the time"
I will now bow out of this thread as I see no logic in it, but just to lighten the mood a little....I heard Richard Branson dropped a pound coin last week....it hit him on the back of the neck. BOOM BOOM!!
tnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 05.01.17 23:00

Lady Catherine Meyer CBE

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' AAEAAQAAAAAAAAd9AAAAJDNhYjc3ZTg2LTRkMzktNDg4NS1iMTI1LTkwZGQ5ZWU0MDVhMw

Lady Catherine 'my husband stole my children' Meyer with humanitarian Bob Geldof KBE

madeleine by KATE MCCANN

Tuesday 8th May 2007..

As we were walking up from the beach at about 5pm, I had a call from Cherie Blair, in her final days as wife of the prime minister (her husband Tony would announce his resignation two days later and leave office the following month). She was
kind and helpful. She told me it was amazing but encouraging that Madeleine was still the first topic on the news every night.

This was only five days the same again.’ She mentioned that a friend of hers, Catherine Meyer, was the founder of PACT – Parents and Abducted Children Together – and said she would get in touch with her on my behalf. Doubtless I asked Cherie if there was anything the British government could offer the Portuguese in the way of resources to assist or expedite the search for Madeleine. It wasn’t my intention to make her feel ncomfortable by asking this, and I’m sure I didn’t. We were just so desperate I couldn’t let the opportunity go by.
---------

Lady Catherine Meyer - founder of the charity Parents and Abducted Children Together (PACT!)

Married to Sir Christopher Meyer KCMG - former British ambassador to the US of A, former ambassador to Germany and former chairman of the Press Complaints Commission (2003-2009).

In October 1997, she married Christopher Meyer on the eve of his departure to Washington to become British Ambassador to the United States. During their five and a half years in America, she campaigned against international parental child abduction alongside a number of American parents in a similar situation with Germany.

In the UK, Meyer instigated adjournment debates in the House of Commons on her case and the issue of parental child abduction in general across frontiers. In 2005, the Parliamentary Ombudsman upheld her complaint of maladministration against the then Lord Chancellor's Department with regard to the handling of her case.

Since 2003 and her return to the UK from America, she has broadened PACT's mission to embrace children who go missing for any reason. This has led to close cooperation with the Home Office, the police, CEOP and other charities.

On 25 May 2011, International Missing Children's Day, the Home Office announced major changes to child protection services in the UK, in particular the passing of responsibility for missing, abducted and exploited children to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection agency (CEOP). This was the culmination of a ten-year lobbying campaign. Meyer's role was recognised in the Home Office press release.

[Wikipedia]

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnyT 05.01.17 23:13

Wow  after only 5 days she's receiving calls from the PM's wife but not only that KM is asking the government if there's any resources to aid the Portugese. Surely this is unheard of after such a short time??
JohnyT
JohnyT

Activity : 503

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 06.01.17 7:31

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Dave_e10

Ex Policeman, Dave Edgar: Maddie is in a secret lair in a lawless village in PDL

Dave Edgar

Cheshire resident Dave Edgar was a retired police Detective Inspector. The Cheshire businessman Brian Kennedy, who was responsible for managing the McCanns’ controversial private investigation, appointed him in November 2008 to lead the investigation. This followed the debacle of the previous investigation led by rogue and crook Kevin Halligen, who will appear on ‘Rogue of the Day’ before long. Edgar didn’t look for Madeleine but was paid to carry out his master’s directions. His initial task was to ‘beef up’ a TV documentary released by Channel 4 in May 2009, which simply regurgitated, uncritically, the McCanns’ claims that Madeleine had been abducted. He was wheeled out during the documentary to proclaim the McCanns ‘totally innocent’. When the documentary shed light on a major contradiction between two key witnesses, he calmly brushed this aside by saying: ‘You always get discrepancies when witnesses try to remember the same event’. Throughout his work for the McCanns, he was noted as promoting any old line that suited the moment. Thus, when the McCanns were promoting an especially unlikely story that Madeleine had been abducted by a Victoria Beckham-lookalike on a yacht bound for Australia, Edgar threw caution to the wind and calmly told a TV press conference: “The person seen by Jane Tanner on the night Madeleine disappeared might have been a woman, not a man”. At this point, his rapidly vanishing credibility slumped right down to zero.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 06.01.17 10:41

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Cr10

Carter-Ruck

Why did so many solicitors, including "The most feared Libel Lawyers in the world"  fail to ask any penetrating questions before going to the High Court, leaving the hapless Mrs Martorell to admit that she was simply repeating what she had been told by the two principle suspects in the case ?

When she admitted she had no evidence to support her affidavit even Tugandhat J mused on the record about the possible legal situation if it were ever shown that Madeleine had not been abducted.

Why have all the professionals involved in this case believed everything, without apparently making proper enquiries, or as with the accountants and solicitors of the Fund, doing Due Diligence on the fraudsters who have serially stolen money from the fund ?

And why have they never sought to get the money back ?

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Adam_f10

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 06.01.17 12:43

His Right Reverend Paypalness Benedict XV1

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Storico88152121109195745_big

A very personal hands-on visit to Vatican City by Gerry and Kate McCann..

Has any other parent of a missing child (missing for less than a month) had the privilege of a ceremonious visit to the Vatican and an audience with a Pope?

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06.01.17 12:53

They didn't have a private audience with the Pope.

They attended the weekly outdoor Papal audience along with tens of thousands of others.

They had seats near the edge of the "walkabout" route (in the VIP section probably) and as the Pope passed by they were briefly introduced and the Pope blessed a picture of Madeleine that was handed to him.

It was all over in a few seconds.

The Pope walked about a bit more, had similar exchanges with many other people and was then off for lunch.

The PR was milked for all it was worth.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer 06.01.17 13:37

Ah yes "Rome was preparing itself " wasn't it Kate  aaagh

Activity : 2377

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 06.01.17 14:01

Verdi wrote:His Right Reverend Paypalness Benedict XV1

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Storico88152121109195745_big

Has any other parent of a missing child (missing for less than a month) had the privilege of a ceremonious visit to the Vatican and an audience with a Pope?
@ Verdi       I am very glad that, so early in this thread, someone has added the evil Pope Benedict XVI to the new 'Rogue of the Day' feature. If you hadn't have done so, I would have done mysef at the earliest opportunity.

He is most certainly an 'A list' rogue, and he gave great succour and encouragement to the McCanns, lending his superstardom to their cause back in May 2007, almost elevating it to a divine cause. Clarence Mitchell claimed personal credit for arranging this trip with R.C. Archbishop Cormac Murphy O'Connor (who I think may have been Irish?).

This also gives me the opportunity here to give a link to a brilliant 80-minute documentary released on 21 December last year onto YouTube - unfortunately minus the segments that the Vatican ordered Google to ut out before they would allow it back on YouTube. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztisTKy2KTE&feature=youtu.be

I am recommending it because this is a film of real, professional quality. It features the main men who brought out the outrageous systematic cover-up of child sexual abise by hundreds of thousands of homosexual priests - much of it covered up personally by Cardinal Ratzinger/Pope Benedict XVI both when he wasa Cardinal in Germany and as Pope.  It also gives a couple of graphic, authentic accounts of how, in a couple of instances, these homosexuals and paedophiles set about the initial corruption of their victims - and then apply brutal threats to keep their victims silent. If any member or guest here has been abused, watching these two individuals (one female, one male) recount their personal histories will no doubt be painful and bring back awful memories, with tears of sympathy and anger.    

I would like to make a couple of points. Near the beginning of the film, the narrator deals with the issue of why nearly all this wicked, industrial-scale abuse of children takes place in the Roman Catholic Church and not in Protestant churches. The reason is simple; it's because the Roman Catholic system is wholly contrary to the Biblical Christianity rediscovered in the Reformation. It is a deeply anti-Christian, anti-Biblical system, and I join with those who wrote the Preface to the Authorised Version, when they presented it to King James I in 1611. They referred to the Popes (plural) as 'The Antichrist' and 'The Man of Sin'.

There's one small issue I have with the film. It was made after Pope Francis was elected Pope, and they seem to think he might bring a brighter future to the utterly discredited institution of the Papacy.

I very much doubt it

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24767

Laurenceldt likes this post

AndyH and chris2308 dislike this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 06.01.17 15:27

Tony Bennett wrote:
Clarence Mitchell claimed personal credit for arranging this trip with R.C. Archbishop Cormac Murphy O'Connor (who I think may have been Irish?).
'ROGUE OF THE DAY' 317496a096d6c86486a71d4521994bcd171a6bb3'ROGUE OF THE DAY' E72acc671ca9b4387dc09d10491834ef290dc47d'ROGUE OF THE DAY' 317496a096d6c86486a71d4521994bcd171a6bb3Paedophilia in the Catholic Church
by Angus Stickler
'ROGUE OF THE DAY' 317496a096d6c86486a71d4521994bcd171a6bb3
'ROGUE OF THE DAY' 317496a096d6c86486a71d4521994bcd171a6bb3
'ROGUE OF THE DAY' 317496a096d6c86486a71d4521994bcd171a6bb3An investigation by the Today Programme has uncovered new evidence that Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor the leader of the Catholic Church in England and Wales failed to act appropriately when dealing with paedophile priests in his former diocese of Arundel and Brighton

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 06.01.17 15:30

Sorry about that - got stuck in the posting process.  To continue, read on..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/archive/features/paedophile_priests.shtml

NB:  Who's going to have the patience and guts to take on the Clarence Mitchell profile - not me!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Erroll Garner 06.01.17 16:01

I typed "Madeleine McCann" into 'Google maps' & got the puzzling result: "Madeleine McCann's crib", located in São Miguel do Rio Torto, Portugal. This is surrounded by a very rural area. It is 414km (257 miles) from Luz and about 100 miles north of Lisbon.
It is also 70 miles south of an alleged psychic's vision, reported to 'The Sun' newspaper.
It could account for large amount of mileage on McCanns' hire car (1700 miles). I suggest 2 trips were made - one on 28th May 2007 when the car was hired and presumably collected from Faro airport (?). The following day on 29th May, the McCann's flew to Rome on Sir Phillip Green's private jet. On 30th May they met Pope Benedict where Kate seemed the most emotional I've seen her. Perhaps this was a purgatory trip to make an "elite confession". On 7th June 2007, the McCanns flew from Lisbon to Morroco, driving to Lisbon. Someone has asked why they didn't fly from Faro, just 60 miles away from Luz. Presuming flights from Faro to Morocco were running from this airport, I suggest a detour was made to again visit the burial place - as Kate might not have been on the first trip to actually bury the child.
Erroll Garner
Erroll Garner

Activity : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina 06.01.17 16:50

Erroll Garner wrote:I typed "Madeleine McCann" into 'Google maps' & got the puzzling result: "Madeleine McCann's crib", located in São Miguel do Rio Torto, Portugal. This is surrounded by a very rural area. It is 414km (257 miles) from Luz and about 100 miles north of Lisbon.
It is also 70 miles south of an alleged psychic's vision, reported to 'The Sun' newspaper.
It could account for large amount of mileage on McCanns' hire car (1700 miles). I suggest 2 trips were made - one on 28th May 2007 when the car was hired and presumably collected from Faro airport (?). The following day on 29th May, the McCann's flew to Rome on Sir Phillip Green's private jet. On 30th May they met Pope Benedict where Kate seemed the most emotional I've seen her. Perhaps this was a purgatory trip to make an "elite confession". On 7th June 2007, the McCanns flew from Lisbon to Morroco, driving to Lisbon. Someone has asked why they didn't fly from Faro, just 60 miles away from Luz. Presuming flights from Faro to Morocco were running from this airport, I suggest a detour was made to again visit the burial place - as Kate might not have been on the first trip to actually bury the child.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Madeleine+McCann's+crib/@39.4012597,-8.2366182,11367m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0xd186981a9751601:0x104fbf91e8eaf1f3!2sMadeleine+McCann's+crib!8m2!3d39.399872!4d-8.224454!3m4!1s0xd186981a9751601:0x104fbf91e8eaf1f3!8m2!3d39.399872!4d-8.224454

Activity : 3218

chris2308 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 07.01.17 14:02

'ROGUE OF THE DAY' Wyre10

Ray Wyre

Ray Wyre and his wife made friends of the McCanns and in January 2008 invited them over for the day. In her book on the case, Kate McCann wrote adoringly of the ‘delicious banoffee pie’ made by Mrs Wyre. In the days after Madeleine was reported missing, and without any special evidence available to him, Ray Wyre wrote articles for leading British newspapers proclaiming his ‘certainty’ that Madeleine had been abducted by a paedophile. But actually, Wyre might well have been a paedophile himself. Because his name appears on the notorious ‘guest list’ of visitors to Elm House, the West London guest house where various celebrities and politicians were provided with young boys for sex. Wyre’s ‘claim to fame’ was as Director of the Gracewell Centre for the treatment of sex-offenders. But he himself was a sex-and witchcraft-obsessed psychologist who ran conferences promoting the widespread practice of ‘Satanic ritual abuse’ scares - for which he received much public criticism.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Cammerigal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 07.01.17 14:25

Get'emGonçalo wrote:

Ray Wyre

Ray Wyre and his wife made friends of the McCanns and in January 2008 invited them over for the day. In her book on the case, Kate McCann wrote adoringly of the ‘delicious banoffee pie’ made by Mrs Wyre. In the days after Madeleine was reported missing, and without any special evidence available to him, Ray Wyre wrote articles for leading British newspapers proclaiming his ‘certainty’ that Madeleine had been abducted by a paedophile. But actually, Wyre might well have been a paedophile himself. Because his name appears on the notorious ‘guest list’ of visitors to Elm House, the West London guest house where various celebrities and politicians were provided with young boys for sex. Wyre’s ‘claim to fame’ was as Director of the Gracewell Centre for the treatment of sex-offenders. But he himself was a sex-and witchcraft-obsessed psychologist who ran conferences promoting the widespread practice of ‘Satanic ritual abuse’ scares - for which he received much public criticism.
Yes!

Remarkable as it may seem, the amazing Ray Wyre was not only...

* the world's greatest expert on sex offenders
* the inventor of his unique 'masturbation satiation' technique
* the creator of at least three three-year-long Ritual Satanic Abuse scares, one in England, one in Wales and one in Scotland
* the employer of 'Sally', his long-term volunteer who routinely sent love letters to over 200 serial killers and notorious murderers, including Ian Brady
* a serial sex- and witchcraft-obsessive
* a guest at the paedophile guest house, Elm House, in west London, and
* friend of the McCanns...

...but also one of the nation's top poker gamblers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJgr8MWgT8&t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4omhvPxe7-s&t=69s

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 07.01.17 14:26

Get'emGonçalo wrote:

Ray Wyre

This may be of interest, but it's a long read.   It's from the Criminal  Justice Bll, recorded in the April 1991 Hansard

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1991/apr/16/criminal-justice-bill-1

As it's a long article it will be beneficial to post an abstract that's relative to this thread

Snipped
Lord Harris of Greenwich
I agree with what the right reverend Prelate has just said. He has been right in identifying one of the major problems which the prison service has at the moment. A very substantial number of sex offenders have to be held and there is the increasing size of the Rule 43 population. One of the elements in the Strangeways situation was the venomous attacks which were made on Rule 43 prisoners in Manchester. Therefore, there is no doubt in my view that this is an issue which deserves high priority from the Government.
I had the opportunity of visiting the Gracewell Clinic quite recently. I was very impressed by what is being done there. I recognise that the clinic rightly charges substantial fees for those who go there. Notwithstanding it runs at a deficit. The cost of its therapy programme is infinitely greater than the total cost of any service that it can provide for any particular probation service. I was impressed both by the quality of the staff and some of the offenders who were there. They were quite open as to the offences for which they had been convicted by the courts. They had committed offences of considerable seriousness. Undoubtedly. if the Gracewell Clinic had not existed the offenders would have been sent to prison for very substantial periods.
I do not want to make any ambitious claims on behalf of the clinic. I very much agree with the noble Baroness, Lady David, in saying that it is a great pity that no member of the Government has visited the Gracewell Clinic. I recognise the pressure on Ministers. I know that it sounds as though one is being unreasonable when one makes a complaint of this kind. The fact is that the entire project has been founded by a single individual. He has put into this clinic hundreds of thousands of pounds of his own money. Unless the clinic has some form of support from public funding in the future, there is a real risk over a period of time that the Gracewell Clinic might not exist. That would be a tragedy so far as our criminal justice system is concerned.
Lord Harris of Greenwich   

There is a lot more information there, but I will leave those who have the time and patience to read it at their leisure  :wink4:

Edited to add this link:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/sex-offence-clinic-drops-scheme-for-child-unit-1535069.html

A short extract from the above link:

A CLINIC for sex offenders where four Roman Catholic priests are being treated at a cost of pounds 450 a week each to their diocese has abandoned plans to run a therapy centre for sexually abused children next door.
The proposal by the Gracewell Institute in Birmingham was dropped this month after Baroness Faithfull, a former trustee, refused permission for her name to be given to the planned unit.

Couldn't make it up, could you?
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 07.01.17 15:32

Just to come back for a moment to an earlier 'Rogue of the Day - Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor.

The Guardian article below explains how the Vatican ordered cuts to his book; they didn't like his comments about how the church had dealt with the homosexual paedophile priest, Michael Hill:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/01/cardinal-cormac-murphy-oconnor-memoirs-censored-by-church

This article by the National Secular Society questions why the Crown Prosecution Service abandoned its prosecution of Cardinal O'Connor, given that he had allegedly committed a criminal offence by not reporting his concerns about Hill to the police:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2015/03/why-did-the-cps-abandon-investigation-into-cardinal-cormac-murphy-oconnor

Below, Cardimal O'Connor gives his pathetic excuses for having done nothing about Hill for decades:    

Statement by Archbishop Cormac Murphy-O'Connor regarding the case of Father Michael Hill, dated 19 July 2000: Fr Michael Hill, a priest of Arundel and Brighton diocese, was convicted in 1997 of indecent assaults on children and sentenced to five years' imprisonment. Following that conviction I made a statement on 9 May 1997 to express my sadness and my concern for those who had suffered through his actions, and to offer them whatever care and pastoral support the diocese is able to offer. My primary reaction throughout has been one of distress and concern for the victims who have been so scarred by the abuse of a priest. Although care and pastoral support are available to the victims I know that nothing can undo the damage that has been done. This is my greatest sadness. Questions were also raised in some media reports at that time about what the diocese, and I as the bishop, had known about Fr Hill's actions prior to his conviction. To set the record straight, I wrote an article in the 'Catholic Herald' in May 1997. In the light of similar questions being raised now, I restate below the position as explained in that article, expanded in one or two places. In some media reports the implication has been drawn that I was aware at the time of the offences of Fr Hill that have since come to light and responded by moving him from parish to parish. This is simply not true. After Fr Hill had completed a normal term at Merstham, he was appointed to Godalming. Following a period of disagreement and unrest in the parish (wholly unconnected with any question of child abuse) I realised that this was not a good appointment and in January 1981 moved him to Heathfield. I have stated openly and clearly that some issues regarding Fr Hill's behaviour were raised with me prior to 1983. My reaction was to challenge him and require him to undergo assessment and counselling. It was only in 1983 that allegations of a specific and more serious nature were made and I immediately took action: removing Fr Hill from the parish, and ensuring he received further professional assessment and later therapy. In the light of the assessment I withdrew his license to work in a parish and for 18 months he worked in a commercial office. The advice I had received in 1983 included an option that he might work in some restricted pastoral role outside of a parish. In 1985 I decided to follow this option and he was offered an industrial chaplaincy. Of course it is true to say that if the strict procedures for child protection that are now in place in Arundel and Brighton Diocese had been in operation then, the matter would have been handled differently. I maintain that with the facts then known to me the decisions made at that time in his regard were not irresponsible. Proceeding from this particular case, I would like to make two comments. First of all, it is always quite difficult to look back over 20 years or so and to recall attitudes to child abuse that were common-place at that time. With hindsight, what still surprises me is the amount of genuine ignorance that there was, not only among bishops and priests, but also in society at large, including the medical profession, about the compulsive nature of child abuse. To my knowledge no direction or instruction on this matter was given in seminary formation at that time, and doctors and psychiatrists to whom I have spoken have also admitted their comparative ignorance, at that time, of these issues. This is not to excuse but rather to explain the inadequate measures taken in times past, not only for child protection but also for truly confident and accurate assessment by professional people. It is now clear that child abuse is not rarely encountered in the community at large and this distressing fact is now more openly recognised. The second point I want to stress is to renew my endorsement of the very strict guidelines for child protection which were issued by the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales in 1994. The procedures introduced in the Dioceses are a recognition that the Church accepts its responsibilities in this area and is determined that any inadequate reaction in the past will not be repeated in the future.
The full text of the Bishops' Conference document: 'Child Abuse - Pastoral and Procedural Guidelines 1994 - click on: www.tasc.ac.uk/cc/resource/index.htm

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top