The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal  - Page 18 Mm11

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal  - Page 18 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal  - Page 18 Mm11

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal  - Page 18 Regist10

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal  - Page 18 Empty Re: Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal

Post by aiyoyo 22.06.13 14:25

Pertinent questions:
Why wasn't the evidence brought to CPS in UK instead?
Unless they went there to confer with their Portuguese counterparts.

An intelligent guess would be the Portuguese have no travel budget because case is not alive and not reactivated. 
While the CPS travel allowance was sanctioned by Home Office.  
In that case it would be interesting to know which side prosecutors will try the case.
If in Portugal, where does the CPS come in?
If in UK, will the Portuguese agree to have it transferred over provided it is legally feasible to do so.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal  - Page 18 Empty Re: Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese plus *UPDATE* CPS lawyers fly to Portugal

Post by Lance De Boils 22.06.13 14:43

aiyoyo wrote:Pertinent questions:
Why wasn't the evidence brought to CPS in UK instead?
Unless they went there to confer with their Portuguese counterparts.

An intelligent guess would be the Portuguese have no travel budget because case is not alive and not reactivated. 
While the CPS travel allowance was sanctioned by Home Office.  
In that case it would be interesting to know which side prosecutors will try the case.
If in Portugal, where does the CPS come in?
If in UK, will the Portuguese agree to have it transferred over provided it is legally feasible to do so.
You are probably correct about travel budgets.

Also, though, they probably wanted to remain under the radar.
Far easier for the CPS to fly to Pt and hold discussions without a media furore than for Pt representatives to come to the UK, where there are eyes, ears and cameras all around.
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 22.06.13 14:46

Yes Aiyoyo, I think the CPS went to negotiate with their Portuguese equivalent.

And I think the Portuguese would be only to pleased to hand the vast expense of a trial over to the Uk. I don't see that the PJ would have anything to lose by it. 

It's bad enough really that a group of British doctors have cost Portugal so much money in the first place (even if the McCanns do not know what happened to MM, they all still took the irresponsible decision to leave their children alone every night) And, as if that weren't bad enough the Portuguese have had to put up with being insulted too.

suzyjohnson

Activity : 1542

Back to top Go down

Post by paddinton 22.06.13 14:53

From the CPS Website:

Guidance

Generally
In cross-border cases involving England and Wales and other jurisdictions, the best practice is for prosecutors and investigators of the relevant jurisdictions to meet face to face to consider and balance the different factors that should be considered when reaching a decision where to prosecute.  

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/jurisdiction/
paddinton

Activity : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by kitchen 22.06.13 15:01

paddinton wrote:From the CPS Website:

Guidance

Generally
In cross-border cases involving England and Wales and other jurisdictions, the best practice is for prosecutors and investigators of the relevant jurisdictions to meet face to face to consider and balance the different factors that should be considered when reaching a decision where to prosecute.  

That explains why they would meet - key words '...where to prosecute' I think things are much more advanced than we know ... Sky news studiously avoiding comments during the paper review perhaps because they are observing a news embargo until official announcements?
kitchen
kitchen

Activity : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22.06.13 15:19

paddinton wrote:From the CPS Website:

Guidance

Generally

Thank you paddinton and welcome welcome
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi 22.06.13 15:26

question to Tony Bennett: after the trial is it possible to confiscate all of the assets of Tapas 9 in order to help paying the costs of the review?Tony Bennett wrote:I think I may only be repeating what PeterMac has said earlier, but certainly - after looking at the CPS website again tonight - the following can clearly be said about normal CPS operations:

They only get involved when...

...the police already have some evidence...

...about a possible crime...

...committed by a living person...

...that has resulted from a police investigation in England and Wales...
marconi

Activity : 1104

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 22.06.13 15:33

marconi wrote:
question to Tony Bennett: after the trial is it possible to confiscate all of the assets of Tapas 9 in order to help paying the costs of the review?Tony Bennett wrote:I think I may only be repeating what PeterMac has said earlier, but certainly - after looking at the CPS website again tonight - the following can clearly be said about normal CPS operations:

Marconi, I'm lost. Who is the original poster you quote? Who asked the question? Would it be possible for you to quote the post in full otherwise it's not clear what you are getting at (it could be me being dim so I thank you in advance if you could do this).
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13361

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi 22.06.13 15:34

aiyoyo wrote:He's shy when it suits him.

What can be say anyway in this situation? That the CPS were there to interview the 6 Brit cleaners?

Yes, aiyoyo, they need people to help them in their household.
marconi

Activity : 1104

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 22.06.13 15:40

marconi wrote:
aiyoyo wrote:He's shy when it suits him.

What can be say anyway in this situation? That the CPS were there to interview the 6 Brit cleaners?

Yes, aiyoyo, they need people to help them in their household.

Once again Marconi, instead of snipping bits from a post could you just quote in full and highlight the bit you are replying to. Apologies if it's only me that doesn't understand this post.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy 22.06.13 16:16

aquila wrote:
marconi wrote:

Marconi, I'm lost. Who is the original poster you quote? Who asked the question? Would it be possible for you to quote the post in full otherwise it's not clear what you are getting at (it could be me being dim so I thank you in advance if you could do this).

I will add my voice to this too aquila as I am perplexed!

The 'question to Tony Bennett' seems unrelated to the post Tony made and WHY ask TONY?
If I am wrong I sincerely apologise but I have two theories:
1)Its an attempt to lure Tony into saying something he shouldn't. OR
2)If its true that Tony's name brings CR Kevin like a dog to meat, that...

Oh I give up I'm as confused about the post as you! I'm not sure it has good intentions though nah

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.
rainbow-fairy
rainbow-fairy

Activity : 2140

Back to top Go down

Post by jd 22.06.13 16:26

aquila wrote:
marconi wrote:

The question Tony posted to had nothing to do with the confiscation all of the assets of Tapas 9 in order to help paying the costs of the review. It was in answer to the significance of the CPS being in Portugal

Activity : 4400

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22.06.13 16:27

marconi wrote:

This post of Tony's has been quoted totally out of context marconi.  Your question has nothing to do with what Tony has written, so please refrain from doing this.  Thank you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 22.06.13 16:42

Lostfridge wrote:
aiyoyo wrote:
Lostfridge wrote:This all still feels like a ploy by SY to get hold of the unreleased information, and not for the right reasons!....?

And, where might they get them from?
It's in the Portuguese possession and if the Portuguese should deny them the files how are they going lay hands on them?
Playing tactics or games with the Portuguese is going to worsen the relationship.

No, I don't think they are after unreleased data presuming some is still denied to them, which I doubt, else it defeats the purpose of joint review.
I believe they must have finished examining the papers and need to do get hands on in the investigation to finish  what where the Portuguese left off when they were hampered  No valid reason for the Brits to refuse to cooperate with the METS.  All the lame excuses they used with the Portuguese would be useless if used on the MET.  JMO as usual.

The answer is in the original question and reply. The same way the UK got the information from the original investigation, by being on the ground supposedly helping! and I am sure many of those officials where trying to help, but who was helping get hold of the credit card and medical records, no one?. Who supplied the reading material and manuals to the Mccanns!. Why did all the UK police skip town once the Mccanns did?.  

I will repeat my main point again.. WHY NOW?. Why would the UK powers that be suddenly help to conclude this now? they had the chance years ago. This is the simple reason I do not trust the SY review.

I am with you here lostfridge. Although I haven't arrived at p 44 yet, I too have a very pessimistic view of this whole thing. You just have to read the old rogatories to see how a whitewash works. Those were also "good" policemen. The BS drips of them and none, not one of the interviewers is even touching on a strange answer, or flat out lie. That, together with the with holding of financial information, medical information, the potentially explosive testimony about Payne and "daddy" McCann, was already a white wash, and involved many "good" LE officers. What official statement has come out of operation Grange (strange?) does not give any hope this will be different.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy 22.06.13 16:52

jd wrote:
aquila wrote:
marconi wrote:

The question Tony posted to had nothing to do with the confiscation all of the assets of Tapas 9 in order to help paying the costs of the review. It was in answer to the significance of the CPS being in Portugal
Thanks jd, just as I recalled - nothing to do with costs.
SO - why tag it onto one of Tony's quoting the CPS website, and WHY Tony?
I'll apologise if I am wrong but unless marconi just missed aquila's question, I don't think she'll get a reply... winkwink

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.
rainbow-fairy
rainbow-fairy

Activity : 2140

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 22.06.13 16:56

jozi wrote:
jd wrote:
tiny wrote:The potential suspects are thought to include a handful of known child-sex offenders who are believed to have been in the Algarve when Madeleine disappeared.
The visit by senior CPS lawyers underlines the belief among senior detectives that the case could be solved.

raymond hewlett anyone! :biggrin:Classic set-up

Why would they try to set up Hewlett, the man is dead...... but what about the two who's file is empty ?

Hewlett is the perfect patsy: he's dead and cannot prove or disprove anything. And the conning couple will be on everyone's nerves for ever. Imagine every christmas: we know the abductor is dead, but their is no proof that Maddie uh margareth, uh what was her name, has come to any harm. So fill the collecting bowls.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by Me 22.06.13 17:01

lj wrote:
jozi wrote:
jd wrote:
tiny wrote:The potential suspects are thought to include a handful of known child-sex offenders who are believed to have been in the Algarve when Madeleine disappeared.
The visit by senior CPS lawyers underlines the belief among senior detectives that the case could be solved.

raymond hewlett anyone! :biggrin:Classic set-up

Why would they try to set up Hewlett, the man is dead...... but what about the two who's file is empty ?

Hewlett is the perfect patsy: he's dead and cannot prove or disprove anything. And the conning couple will be on everyone's nerves for ever. Imagine every christmas: we know the abductor is dead, but their is no proof that Maddie uh margareth, uh what was her name, has come to any harm. So fill the collecting bowls.

But why would the CPS get involved? They don't and can't prosecute the dead!

What is certain is that since the start of the investigation there were  incongruent and even contradictory situations concerning the witness statements; the telephone records of calls that were made and received on mobile phones that belonged to the couple and to the group of friends that were on holidays with them; the movements of people right after the disappearance of the little girl was noticed, concerning the state in which the bedroom from where the child disappeared from was found (closed window? open window? partially open window?) etc., and the mystery would only become even thicker due to the clues that were left by the already mentioned sniffer dogs. - The Words of a JUDGE in relation to the McCanns
Me

Activity : 698

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown 22.06.13 17:07

It's just a wild guess but could the CPS have travelled to meet with the PJ to secure some of the Officers to act as witnesses in a forthcoming trial in the UK? After all they were in attendance on the night of 3rd May/early 4th May to see the reactions of the McCanns and the Tapas friends and may have heard "off the cuff" comments from them all, which were not mentioned in any of the statements (that's if some of the PJ understood English). Could that be used in a trial in the UK? Could also G Amaral be called as a witness, I wonder. G Amaral did ask for an Officer from the UK to attend a court hearing on his behalf, but the request was turned down, if I recall.

Perhaps PeterMac may know.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown
Newintown

Activity : 1622

Back to top Go down

Post by jd 22.06.13 17:11

rainbow-fairy wrote:

Thanks jd, just as I recalled - nothing to do with costs.
SO - why tag it onto one of Tony's quoting the CPS website, and WHY Tony?
I'll apologise if I am wrong but unless marconi just missed aquila's question, I don't think she'll get a reply... winkwink

Maybe marconi can answer why?

I find this robert murat article curious. It was published 2 weeks after the CPS visit to Portugal. We hear nothing from him for years, then 2 weeks after the CPS visit we suddenly out of the blue have this article...strange. Timing is everything. And also, the "announcement" from May about "an announcement" of a SY investigation comes around the week that there has to be a decision on the GA v mccann trial. These things are all planned well in advance and not coincidences. They will most probably all know what the final decision is going to be in the GA v mccann trial. I guess the answers will become obvious shortly

Madeleine world exclusive: 'Bring them all back to Portugal’

ROBERT MURAT today appeals for Scotland Yard to stage a filmed reconstruction of all the events surrounding the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/397244/Madeleine-world-exclusive-Bring-them-all-back-to-Portugal

Activity : 4400

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 22.06.13 17:13

For the CPS to be involved, the Met must be intending to make arrests and bring charges.  If the police weren't at that stage, there would be no CPS involvement, surely. And what's more, those arrests must be on British soil.
Unless I'm missing something.
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by Me 22.06.13 17:22

Lance De Boils wrote:For the CPS to be involved, the Met must be intending to make arrests and bring charges.  If the police weren't at that stage, there would be no CPS involvement, surely. And what's more, those arrests must be on British soil.

No you are not!

What is certain is that since the start of the investigation there were  incongruent and even contradictory situations concerning the witness statements; the telephone records of calls that were made and received on mobile phones that belonged to the couple and to the group of friends that were on holidays with them; the movements of people right after the disappearance of the little girl was noticed, concerning the state in which the bedroom from where the child disappeared from was found (closed window? open window? partially open window?) etc., and the mystery would only become even thicker due to the clues that were left by the already mentioned sniffer dogs. - The Words of a JUDGE in relation to the McCanns
Me

Activity : 698

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer 22.06.13 17:27

Lance De Boils wrote:For the CPS to be involved, the Met must be intending to make arrests and bring charges.  If the police weren't at that stage, there would be no CPS involvement, surely. And what's more, those arrests must be on British soil.

I keep thinking you are Monkey Mind when I see your pic !
Woofer
Woofer

Activity : 3508

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 22.06.13 17:30

You haven't missed anything. That's the process.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty Heck 22.06.13 17:36

suzyjohnson wrote:
Kepharel wrote:Just a short while ago everyone was discussing the extra funding being given for SY to take over the case.  Now everyone seems to be thinking the CPS involvement means it's all but over.  No re-interviews of TM and the TAPAS 7 so it can't be them????  Just wondering if I missed something??

Miraflores'But they wouldn't need to go to Portugal if it was only the McCanns and the rest of the Tapas crew they were interested in. Is Murat still out there? Is he going to be hauled in again, I wonder?'

Well, this is how it seems to me. The SY have completed a Review of the evidence, evaluating and eliminating various possibilities, and will have taken into account the Portuguese position on things. 

Portugal has already spent a fortune looking for MM
They have made it clear that they wish the Tapas group to take part in a reconstruction in order to proceed with the case. (The PJ will have drawn their own conclusions from the fact that none of the Tapas group will take part) Aside from that, they will reopen the investigation if further evidence comes to light. It would cost Portugal another fortune to extradite the McCanns (and possibly others) to Portugal to face a trial for which, at the moment, they don't necessarily have all the evidence they need to get a conviction. 

The PJ are in a different situation to SY, in that the McCanns have started and STILL CONTINUE with a fund IN THE UK which, IF the McCanns (and others) do already know what happened to MM, would be a fraud. The fund issue, which presumably collects mainly from British people, is not so much the concern of the Portuguese. However, SY would have to solve the first case (MM's disappearance) in order to prove, or disprove, that the fund was a fraud.   

The Chief Crown Prosecutor and Assistant have visited Portugal. I assume that would be to discuss with SY and the PJ, what evidence would be needed in order to secure a conviction in relation to MM's disappearance and / or, if necessary, in relation to fraud. Following from these discussions, the SY are now taking on an investigative role, the advantages of this might be -
i) they could interview in the Uk, at a cheaper cost than the Portuguese, without need for translators for example
ii) no need for expensive extradition proceedings
iii) possibly a trial taking place in the Uk, which is where many of the witnesses live

In order to proceed with the case the SY would need to have all the evidence available before interviewing /reinterviewing, and also might be in the process of sorting out any legal problems between the two countries. For their part, the British government, I think would be looking to restore good diplomatic relations with the Portuguese, and I hope, with all of this costing so much, would be taking matters very seriously indeed.
Away last week in Portugal so just catching up with these developments.  In the UK people are complaining about austerity and the effects of the recession but what's happening here is nothing compared to what's going on over there.   The demands of the Troika are having a devastating effect on the economy which is seriously affecting people's daily lives and another national strike is being organised. 

I'd come to the conclusion that it's pointless hoping the Portuguese will ever reopen the case.  They simply can't afford to; in summer 2008 they were in a far better financial position than now but had concluded there wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction, and even if there were to be a trial, there would be difficulties and costs involved in extraditing the relevant parties.  The visit of the CPS officers and approval for SY to extend their role to an investigating one overcomes most of the major obstacles which brought the previous investigation to a halt, as Miraflores points out. 

It seems unlikely that all of this is merely for sake of a whitewash but there must still be some way to go before any decision on whether to prosecute, or indeed whom.  What is encouraging is that, having already spent X millions on the review, there were sufficient grounds for the CPS visit to Portugal to discuss the case, followed by a green light for SY to investigate.  This investigation cannot fail and prospects of success will have been weighed before further funding agreed so this all seems very positive indeed.

PS PDL was lovely and good to see plenty of young families enjoying their holidays.  No reminders anywhere of the case, not even a poster at the church so the McC effect seems to be fading at last.  Happily, no sign of the McCs themselves either.
Monty Heck

Activity : 472

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown 22.06.13 17:44

Monty Heck wrote:
suzyjohnson wrote:
Kepharel wrote:Just a short while ago everyone was discussing the extra funding being given for SY to take over the case.  Now everyone seems to be thinking the CPS involvement means it's all but over.  No re-interviews of TM and the TAPAS 7 so it can't be them????  Just wondering if I missed something??

Miraflores'But they wouldn't need to go to Portugal if it was only the McCanns and the rest of the Tapas crew they were interested in. Is Murat still out there? Is he going to be hauled in again, I wonder?'

Well, this is how it seems to me. The SY have completed a Review of the evidence, evaluating and eliminating various possibilities, and will have taken into account the Portuguese position on things. 

Portugal has already spent a fortune looking for MM
They have made it clear that they wish the Tapas group to take part in a reconstruction in order to proceed with the case. (The PJ will have drawn their own conclusions from the fact that none of the Tapas group will take part) Aside from that, they will reopen the investigation if further evidence comes to light. It would cost Portugal another fortune to extradite the McCanns (and possibly others) to Portugal to face a trial for which, at the moment, they don't necessarily have all the evidence they need to get a conviction. 

The PJ are in a different situation to SY, in that the McCanns have started and STILL CONTINUE with a fund IN THE UK which, IF the McCanns (and others) do already know what happened to MM, would be a fraud. The fund issue, which presumably collects mainly from British people, is not so much the concern of the Portuguese. However, SY would have to solve the first case (MM's disappearance) in order to prove, or disprove, that the fund was a fraud.   

The Chief Crown Prosecutor and Assistant have visited Portugal. I assume that would be to discuss with SY and the PJ, what evidence would be needed in order to secure a conviction in relation to MM's disappearance and / or, if necessary, in relation to fraud. Following from these discussions, the SY are now taking on an investigative role, the advantages of this might be -
i) they could interview in the Uk, at a cheaper cost than the Portuguese, without need for translators for example
ii) no need for expensive extradition proceedings
iii) possibly a trial taking place in the Uk, which is where many of the witnesses live

In order to proceed with the case the SY would need to have all the evidence available before interviewing /reinterviewing, and also might be in the process of sorting out any legal problems between the two countries. For their part, the British government, I think would be looking to restore good diplomatic relations with the Portuguese, and I hope, with all of this costing so much, would be taking matters very seriously indeed.
Away last week in Portugal so just catching up with these developments.  In the UK people are complaining about austerity and the effects of the recession but what's happening here is nothing compared to what's going on over there.   The demands of the Troika are having a devastating effect on the economy which is seriously affecting people's daily lives and another national strike is being organised. 

I'd come to the conclusion that it's pointless hoping the Portuguese will ever reopen the case.  They simply can't afford to; in summer 2008 they were in a far better financial position than now but had concluded there wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction, and even if there were to be a trial, there would be difficulties and costs involved in extraditing the relevant parties.  The visit of the CPS officers and approval for SY to extend their role to an investigating one overcomes most of the major obstacles which brought the previous investigation to a halt, as Miraflores points out. 

It seems unlikely that all of this is merely for sake of a whitewash but there must still be some way to go before any decision on whether to prosecute, or indeed whom.  What is encouraging is that, having already spent X millions on the review, there were sufficient grounds for the CPS visit to Portugal to discuss the case, followed by a green light for SY to investigate.  This investigation cannot fail and prospects of success will have been weighed before further funding agreed so this all seems very positive indeed.PS PDL was lovely and good to see plenty of young families enjoying their holidays.  No reminders anywhere of the case, not even a poster at the church so the McC effect seems to be fading at last.  Happily, no sign of the McCs themselves either.

Line in blue - no doubt a trial in the UK would still cost hundreds of thousands of £s if not more, so maybe that is why SY have been given more funding.

It's nice to hear that you had a good holiday in Portugal and it was "McCann" free. smilie

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown
Newintown

Activity : 1622

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top