The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Mm11

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Mm11

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Regist10

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Empty Re: Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY

Post by Verdi 10.12.17 21:15

Lest they forget..

Vanity Fair - Unanswered Prayers  by Judy Bachrach.   10th January 2008   [Snipped]

It is part of the odd dynamic of this story that when I phone Sally Eveleigh, Murat’s cousin, who also lives in Praia da Luz, her first remark is that she cannot utter a syllable about Murat without the O.K. of her British press agent, the famously rambunctious Max Clifford. And when his blessing is secured, her second is: “Wonderful, darling, see you shortly. Robert can’t talk to you, because he’s an arguido. But we’ll have a bit of a party, won’t we?”

When I arrive at her massive house, lined with rosy tile and Moroccan rugs, Sally greets me in floor-length blue voile trimmed with pretty stones. And the party includes Murat: five feet 10 inches, dark-haired, wearing beige trousers, serving us tea, wine, and cigarettes.

“All I can say,” says Murat, “is that I am innocent. There is no way I was at the resort that night. Full stop. I was in my mother’s kitchen until one a.m. Yes, we are a kitchen kind of family. I spent the night at the house.” As an arguido he cannot reveal more. But he does drive me around and point out the major landmarks of the case. “That’s the apartment from which Madeleine vanished,” he says. “That’s my mother’s villa.” The police ransacked the place four months ago and came up with nothing.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/02/mccanns200802

Just a regular guy are you Mr Murat?  Pull the other one. What a dirty business this is.

ex moderator
ex moderator

Activity : 41936

Back to top Go down

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Empty Re: Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY

Post by Verdi 11.12.17 12:51

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 SunOriginal Source: SUN: 10 MAY 2011
By ANTONELLA LAZZERI and OLIVER HARVEY

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Sun10511gk

YESTERDAY, in the latest extract from Kate McCann's book, she told how she was horrified when Portuguese police offered her a 'deal' if she confessed to hiding daughter Madeleine's body.

It followed the abduction of the three-year-old from an apartment complex in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007. Kate, 43, and husband Gerry, 42, both doctors from Rothley, Leics, had been holidaying there with friends and their twins Sean and Amelie.

In this extract, edited and abridged by ANTONELLA LAZZERI and OLIVER HARVEY, Kate tells of her struggle to even try to enjoy life again in the following months, and her fears about her relationship with Gerry:

After Madeleine was taken from us, my sexual desire plummeted to zero.
Our sex life is not something I would normally be inclined to share and yet it is such an integral part of most marriages that it doesn't feel right not to acknowledge this.
I'm sure other couples who have been through traumatic experiences will have suffered similarly and perhaps it will reassure them to know that they are not alone.
To those fortunate enough not to have encountered such heartache, I hope it gives an insight into just how deep the wounds go.
Apart from our general state of shock and distress, and the fact that I couldn't concentrate on anything but Madeleine, there were two continuing reasons for this, I believe.
The first was my inability to permit myself any pleasure, whether it was reading a book or making love with my husband.
The second stemmed from the revulsion stirred up by my fear that Madeleine had suffered the worst fate we could imagine: falling into the hands of a paedophile.
Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Sun10511k
Tortured as I was by these nauseating images, it's probably not surprising that even the thought of sex repulsed me.
I worried about Gerry and me. I worried that if I couldn't get our sex life back on track our whole relationship would break down.
I know there is more to a relationship than sex, but it is still an important element.
It was vital that we stayed together and stayed strong for our family. Gerry was incredibly understanding and supportive.
He never made me feel guilty, he never pushed me and he never got sulky. In fact, sometimes he would apologise to me. Invariably, he would put a big, reassuring arm around me and tell me that he loved me and not to worry.
I was determined not to be beaten by this, not simply to capitulate and accept it as just one of the unfortunate side-effects of this tragedy.
Gerry and I talked about it a little, but mostly I analysed the problem privately in my head.
I also discussed it with psychologist Alan Pike who assured me that, like my ability to relax or enjoy a meal, it would gradually return.
Deep down, though, I knew there were only two solutions: bringing Madeleine back or conquering my mental block.
Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Sun10511mbm
Since the first was not within my control, it was up to me to try to train my mind and my thought processes.
I look back now and wonder how on earth Gerry and I have made it this far.
If it weren't for the solid relationship between us, I'm not sure we would have done.
The statistics show that most marriages subjected to such traumatic experiences break down. It would be a lie to claim that everything has been plain sailing.
No relationship, however strong, can emerge unscathed from what is probably the most painful and terrifying ordeal any parent could suffer.
Inevitably, we sometimes reach certain stages, or go through phases, at different times and find different ways of coping with our anguish. Gerry was functioning much sooner than I was.
I felt a tinge of resentment that he was managing to operate and I wasn't; sometimes I found it almost offensive, as if somehow he wasn't grieving enough.
On other days I would feel I was a failure for not being capable of doing as much for Madeleine as he was. It was equally difficult for Gerry. He needed my help and support and I was so consumed by my own grief that I simply couldn't give anything.
When I finally reached the next rung of the 'coping ladder', I could see that my husband's ability to drag himself up from the hell into which we'd been catapulted was a godsend.
Without it, the campaign to find Madeleine would never have got going in the way it did. Gerry has tried, quite successfully, to compartmentalize his life, his thoughts and his focus. I have no doubt this ensures a more efficient and less stressful existence, but I can't do it. Madeleine is there in my head all the time.
This doesn't make me a more loving or caring parent. I think it's just that fathers and mothers are different; that carrying and bringing a child into the world possibly creates a uniquely visceral connection.
The awful sense of Madeleine's fear I once experienced every waking hour has, however, eased a little. What remains is a lasting awareness of the terror she would've felt in the disorientating moment she first opened her eyes to find herself with a stranger. I cannot imagine this will ever fade completely.
It was a long time before I was able to allow myself to take any real pleasure in anything.
I couldn't watch television, read a book, listen to music or follow the football, as I might have done to relax in my old life. I couldn't go to the cinema or out for a meal. I couldn't browse in shops.
Madeleine was in my thoughts when I woke up in the morning and as I battled to fall asleep at night.
I couldn't even sit down unless it was for a purpose, to eat or to work at the computer. How could I possibly take pleasure in anything without my daughter'
Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Sun10511gkm
It was partly the feeling that I had to be doing something to help Madeleine every moment of every day, partly that so much of what I used to love reminded me of the life we should still have been leading and now made me sad.
Sometimes the most innocuous and unexpected triggers can set me off: the smell of newly mown grass, or a song I associate with happier days. The hymn On Eagle's Wings, which Gerry and I chose for our wedding, gets me every time.
It was over two years before I could bring myself to play music again. In the end it was the thought of how unfair it would be to deny Sean and Amelie, who loved singing, that got me over that hurdle.
Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Sun-6-5-11-book
Gerry, meanwhile, was able to switch off from time to time and I'm sure that was a great help to him. I felt guilty for his sake that I couldn't do the same.
He was desperate to share his moments of relaxation with me, to have his old Kate back, even if only briefly. He would suggest doing something nice - and I would cry.
Despite his inner strength, determination and capability, Gerry has his own down days, of course.
He's been such a rock through so many long and testing times that when he crumbles, it is all the more concerning.
There's something particularly distressing about seeing a strong man reduced to a heap, crying like a baby.
At times it has taken Gerry everything he's got to fight for his own survival and there's just been nothing left to give me.
Occasionally, when I've been as low as it's possible to be, or afraid I was losing control completely, I've longed for a chance to talk it through, or even just to feel Gerry's arm around my shoulder, but he simply hasn't had the strength.
He knows or fears that if he allows himself to be sucked into my despair, he might be brought crashing down, too.
It sounds selfish and it feels selfish, too. But our lives remain precarious and sometimes it is all you can do to keep your own head above water, let alone anyone else's.
We also know it is essential that we somehow make time for each other if we are to keep communicating, avoid growing apart and escape becoming another marital breakdown statistic.
I took a cognitive approach to getting our sexual relationship back on track, concentrating hard on what Gerry means to me, as a husband and as a friend; on the love we have for each other and the three beautiful children we created together. It seems to have worked.
If my mind ever starts to wander down dark alleys, I fight against that, focusing on what I have that is good and important.
And I tell myself that I cannot, and will not, allow this evil person to destroy anything else in our life.

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 11.12.17 13:00

The loss of a child under such circumstances as abduction by paedophile is enough to wreck any marriage no matter how strong the relationship.  Blame, recriminations, shame, self hatred, fear, isolation, guilt - the list of obstacles is endless.  Sex life I should think being the least of their worries.

Something is binding these two together!

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 12.12.17 1:51

Lest they forget..

Madeleine McCann: David Cameron's letter in full

Here is the full text of David Cameron's letter to Kate and Gerry McCann, dated May 12, 2011.

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Bloxham_60_1768736j
By Andy Bloxham
6:30AM BST 13 May 2011

Dear Kate and Gerry,

Thank you for your heartfelt and moving letter. Your ordeal is every parent's worst nightmare and my heart goes out to you both. I simply cannot imagine the pain you must have experienced over these four agonising years, and the strength and determination you have both shown throughout is remarkable.

I am acutely aware of the frustration you must feel as more time goes by and yet no news is forthcoming. We discussed this when we met, but I realise that a further eighteen months have gone by since then. That you have been so courageous over all this time, and have not given up, speaks volumes.

I have asked the Home Secretary to look into what more the Government could do to help Madeleine. She will be writing to you today, setting out new action involving the Metropolitan Police Service which we hope will help boost efforts in the search for Madeleine. I sincerely hope this fresh approach will provide the investigation with the new momentum that it needs.

I know that everyone hopes and prays for a successful outcome, and our thoughts remain with you and your family. We will, of course, stay in close touch with you throughout.

Yours,
David

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/8511062/Madeleine-McCann-David-Camerons-letter-in-full.html

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Camero11

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Willis 12.12.17 9:04

What about the P.S.?

P.S. I shouldn't worry. I left my kid in the pub. C'est la vie.
Call me Dave
Mark Willis
Mark Willis

Activity : 885

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 12.12.17 12:02

This just won't do - can't have one with the other..

Madeleine McCann: text of parents' letter to David Cameron

Here is the full text of the letter from Kate and Gerry McCann to David Cameron, the Prime Minister:

Dear Prime Minister,

As a devoted father and family man, you know the importance of children. Our beloved eldest child, Madeleine, was abducted from Praia da Luz, Portugal, four years ago. Since then, we have devoted all our energies to ensuring her safe return.

Today we are asking you - and the British and Portuguese governments - to help find Madeleine and bring her back to her loving family.

We live in hope that Madeleine will be found alive and returned to us. One call might be all that is needed to lead to Madeleine and her abductor.

To this end, we are seeking a joint INDEPENDENT, TRANSPARENT and COMPREHENSIVE review of ALL information held in relation to Madeleine's disappearance. Thus far, there has been NO formal review of the material held by the police authorities - which is routine practice in most major unsolved crimes.

It is not right that a young vulnerable British citizen has essentially been given up on. This remains an unsolved case of a missing child. Children are our most precious gift.

Please don't give up on Madeleine.

Kate & Gerry McCann

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/8511093/Madeleine-McCann-text-of-parents-letter-to-David-Cameron.html

Only they, the McCanns, can carry on the bluff until the bitter end.

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 12.12.17 12:13

Kate McCann: I needed help, I felt totally out of control

The mother of Madeleine McCann describes how she needed expert psychological counselling to bring her back from the brink of an emotional breakdown.

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 KateMcCann_1919372c

By John Bingham   13th June 2011

Kate McCann told MPs that she felt “totally out of control” and “unable to function” in the days after the disappearance of her three-year-old daughter on holiday in Portugal in 2007.

Addressing members of a Commons committee investigating the handling of missing persons cases, Mrs McCann – a GP by profession – called for all parents in her position to be given psychological support.

She also hit out at officialdom for the “unbearable, bordering on inhumane” way she and her husband Gerry had been dealt with, being “left in the dark” about the progress of the search for daughter.

Burglary victims often received better support than parants of missing children, she added.

The couple had been forced to “fight, really fight” for the authorities to take up the search again after the case was shelved by Portuguese police three years ago, she added.

But she said that for the first time in four years she was optimistic about the prospects of finding Madeleine after Scotland Yard agreed to review the case.

In a wide-ranging hearing, two senior police officers also admitted there are failings in the way police handle missing persons cases.

It followed evidence from Mrs McCann and two other mothers who agreed that families were desperate for psychological support and were often left with no point of contact within the police at crucial moments.

Nicki Durbin, whose son, Luke, 19, went missing four years ago, told of her "terror" at hearing about the discovery of a decapitated body on the local news, fearing it was her son, but had no one to call find out more.

Mrs McCann told the committee that she had been lucky that her tour operator had flown a trained crisis counsellor out to help the couple.

“I can't overestimate how much of a difference that made, we are [both] medically trained but we couldn't function,” she said
“The sense of helplessness is overwhelming, it is an incredibly unpleasant sensation, it’s hard to describe.

“Our counsellor helped me start taking control of things I could control.

“It was probably the first time in my life where I felt totally out of control.”

She added: "If your house is burgled, you are automatically offered victim support with emotional, practical and legal assistance.

"If your child goes missing, you may get nothing."

Assistant Chief Constable Phil Thompson of the Association of Chief Police Officers, told the hearing that guidance for police was “cluttered” and inaccessible and was “crying out” for a national strategy.

“That isn’t work well enough and we have to do better,” he admitted.

Chief Constable Nick Gargan, the chief executive of the National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA), said: "There wouldn't be a police officer in this country who wouldn't change the way they deal with missing persons if they'd listened to the evidence session I've just listened to."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/8572998/Kate-McCann-I-needed-help-I-felt-totally-out-of-control.html

So she sought solace in the professional (snort) advice of one Alan Pike, ex-social worker.

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 4thbirthdaypdl%20%282%29

Kate McCann Feeling totally out of control [circa. May 2007]

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 13.12.17 7:27

Real Life

Madeleine McCann: Kate and Gerry McCann reveal 22 things they miss most about Madeleine

by Kayleigh Dray | 11 11 2015

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2011.26.32_646x363

Madeleine McCann's parents have published a heartbreaking list of 22 things they miss most about their daughter

Madeleine McCann was three-years-old when she disappeared from her bed in a holiday apartment in Portugal in May 2007.

Ever since then, her parents have campaigned tirelessly for information as to their little girl’s whereabouts.

Tragically, they are still no closer to finding out where Madeleine is - or what happened that fateful night in Praia Da Luz.

This will be the McCann’s ninth Christmas without Madeleine.

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Rexfeatures_662185a_466x466

As a result, Gerry and Kate McCann are supporting Missing People's Christmas campaign, which features 12 families who are missing a parent, sibling, son or daughter.

And, in order to raise awareness, they have released a list of the 22 things they miss most about their little girl.

Kate & Gerry McCann’s list of things they miss most about Madeleine:

• Her smile.
  • Her laughter.
  • Her eyes.
  • Her dimples.
  • Her sense of humour.
  • Her smartness.
  • Her imitations of people and characters.
  • Her voice, her ‘chat’.
  • Her company.
  • That knowing look.
  • Her singing.
  • Styling her hair.
  • Chasing her round the garden.
  • Sharing her excitement in the run-up to Christmas.
  • Sharing anything.
  • Spoiling her on her birthday.
  • Shopping with her.
  • Going to a cafe with her.
  • Holding her, hugging her, kissing the top of her head.
  • Lying next to her.
  • Our complete family of five.
  • Everything.

They added simply: “We miss her.”

Missing People chief executive Jo Youle said: "For the families of missing people, the thought of Christmas without their loved one is heart-breaking.

"This exhibition will give the public the opportunity to stand with these families missing a loved one, by sharing messages of hope and supporting our annual Home for Christmas Appeal so Missing People can continue to be a lifeline when someone disappears."

The exhibition will open on 14 October and be displayed until 22 November at The Crypt, St-Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square.

You can lend your support to the #HomeForChristmas appeal here.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 41861

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 13.12.17 12:29

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 O-MADELEINE-MCCANN-570

Bleak House

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer 13.12.17 14:05

Verdi wrote:Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 O-MADELEINE-MCCANN-570

Bleak House

Certainly not Hard Times 

Oliver Twist -" please sir can I have some more "

Activity : 2377

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 13.12.17 15:32

sandancer wrote:Certainly not Hard Times 

big grin
Tale Of Two Cities - maybe? 
Leicester [Madame Defarge]  v.  Lisbon [Charles Darnay]   :en garde: Don't know who the bloke in the doorway is, must be the referee.

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 13.12.17 15:34

Mark Willis wrote:What about the P.S.?

Call me Dave
Uncle Dave if you please!

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 13.12.17 20:15

G
Verdi wrote:
sandancer wrote:Certainly not Hard Times 

big grin
Tale Of Two Cities - maybe? 
Leicester [Madame Defarge]  v.  Lisbon [Charles Darnay]   :en garde: Don't know who the bloke in the doorway is, must be the referee.

big grin  Post amended - it's "Twities" not Cities 

http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/nhs-drs-kate-and-gerry-mccann-tale-of.html
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11200

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 14.12.17 1:22

laugh   Brilliant!

I'm the Sheik of Araby
Your heart belongs to me
At night when you're asleep
Into your tent I'll creep

The moon and stars above
Will shine down on our love
You'll rule the world with me
I'm the Sheik of Araby

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Willis 14.12.17 7:32

Verdi wrote:
Mark Willis wrote:What about the P.S.?

Call me Dave
Uncle Dave if you please!
Aha! No wonder we can't get hold of any Mc medical records!
Talking of Uncles, my money is on Uncle John er...helping out, shall we say.
OK, that's only slightly more credible than bio-engineering clones and alien abduction but you have to admire the commitment of a man who jacks his job in straight away to help the 'search'. 
A cynic might think he knew MBM was not coming back.....
Mark Willis
Mark Willis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 14.12.17 7:38

Not to mention John McCann's comment that they were "calling in favours".

Favours for what exactly? thinking

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Activity : 41861

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Willis 14.12.17 7:54

Get'emGonçalo wrote:Not to mention John McCann's comment that they were "calling in favours".

Favours for what exactly? thinking
Indeed. Nevertheless, whatever those 'favours' might be it is indicative of seeking some high powered actors to help obfuscate the truth.
Mark Willis
Mark Willis

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 14.12.17 15:41

Madeleine parents 'will fight on'

Saturday 8th September 2007

Madeleine McCann's parents plan to stay in Portugal to prove their innocence after being named official suspects in the case, friends have told the BBC.

Jon Corner said Gerry and Kate McCann, both 39, were determined the search for their daughter would not be "derailed".

The four-year-old disappeared from the family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in Portugal's Algarve on 3 May.

Earlier, a family spokesman said police believed Mrs McCann, of Rothley, Leics, had killed Madeleine accidentally.

'Intimidatory' questioning

No bail conditions, travel restrictions or charges have been imposed on the couple, who had been questioned separately for more than 24 hours.

Mr McCann was officially given "arguido" status 12 hours after his wife.

The move allows the authorities to put certain questions to Mr and Mrs McCann, and also gives them the right to remain silent.
The couple have opted to stay in Portugal despite wanting to return home with their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie.

Philomena McCann said her brother Mr McCann "doesn't want it to look as if they are running away".

Mr Corner said: "I spoke to Gerry in the early hours this morning and he wasn't surprised that he was named as an official suspect.

"The process of questioning I think is designed to be intimidatory, but Gerry is frustrated by the line of questioning and where the inquiry is going.
"But he's also fighting and I think he's determined that the search for Madeleine is not going to be derailed by this."

Quick closure

Mr Corner said the developments pointed to the "mindset of the Portuguese police".

"Clearly, they're not investigating or doing the detective work to find Madeleine," he said.

"They're actually looking for a very quick, clean closure on the case, and that means turning their focus into the family."

The BBC understands that the police put it to Mrs McCann that she was somehow responsible for the accidental death of Madeleine inside the apartment.

They went on to say that with the help of her husband she then hid the body temporarily and then moved it later using the couple's hire car.

The McCanns vehemently deny such claims.

Mrs McCann's uncle Brian Kennedy said: "The notion that even accidentally they killed their daughter, hid her body, then put her body in a car hired 25 days later while the glare of the international publicity is on them, and when they are always with friends and family, is fatuous beyond words.

"I just find the notion repulsive."

Set sentence

Mr Corner had previously said Mrs McCann told him officers had tried to "cut her a deal" under which she would serve only two years in jail if she confessed.

But Portugal-based British journalist Paul Luckman told the BBC that under Portuguese law there is a set sentence for each crime which not even a judge can change.

He said it would not be possible for the police to make such a deal.

Local lawyer Oliveira Trindade said: "Legally, if the prosecutor has enough evidence they have to charge the arguidos within the next 10 days.

"If they don't have enough evidence the investigation will continue."

TV crews and photographers, who had been camped outside the police station in Portimao, have moved on to the McCanns' rented house in Praia da Luz.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6984781.stm

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Willis 14.12.17 16:02

Remind me where they were the day after, Mr Verdi...
...as the SKYcopter follows Special Branch tailing them home (LIVE) to Rothley Towers...
Mark Willis
Mark Willis

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 15.12.17 12:09

Madeleine: Is Robert Murat a suspect or a scapegoat?
by DAVID JONES
Last updated at 11:06 02 June 2007

In the eyes of many, Robert Murat has already been tried and found guilty of abducting Madeleine. But David Jones has had the first full interview with him - and comes to a very unsettling conclusion

Last Wednesday, while Gerry and Kate McCann were in Rome imploring the Pope to pray for the safe return of their four-year-old daughter, Madeleine, I spent a disquieting afternoon on the Algarve, drinking coffee with Robert Murat.

Depending on your point of view (and in a tragedy whose every grim twist is played out in the public gaze, everyone has an opinion), Murat is either the most vile creature on earth or the most unjustly vilified.

Eighteen days ago, this enigmatic, Portuguese-raised Englishman was arrested on suspicion of abducting Madeleine from a holiday apartment just 120 yards from the villa he shares with his widowed mother, Jenny.

Murat was released without charge after 19 hours of questioning. Yet today - a month after Madeleine's hauntingly pretty face first became etched in our collective nightmares - he remains the only formally identified police suspect.

Ordinarily, of course, an accused man retains his innocence until proven guilty. But this is no ordinary case. The McCanns' increasingly desperate publicity campaign (yesterday they were in Madrid) has made it the most high-profile child abduction in history.

So, inevitably, every aspect of Robert Murat's life is being subjected to microscopic scrutiny. And in the absence of confirmed facts, wild rumours are circulating about his life and background.

If we believe some of what has been written about him, Murat is a pervert who fits the profile of a child abductor all too well. He may be the father of a four-year-old girl, but, according to unnamed sources, he is a social misfit who visits paedophile websites.

It has also been suggested that he coldly volunteered to assist in the hunt for Madeleine to glean inside information, and remain one step ahead of the police investigation, just as Ian Huntley did after the Soham murders.

Weighed with various accrued morsels of suspicion against him - an unexplained 11.40pm phone call on the night of the abduction; a car hired hastily two days later - some close observers have concluded that Murat is, indeed, the monster who took Madeleine, and that it is only a matter of time before he is formally charged with her abduction.

Over the forthcoming days, they may yet be proved right, though given the performance of the Portuguese police, this seems unlikely. For the story Murat had to tell me raises profound and disturbing questions about the nature of the Madeleine investigation.

"They held me for all that time, but they didn't even take a DNA sample from me," he told me, incredulously. "Can you believe that? I would happily have provided a swab."

Assuming Murat is telling the truth, this is a jaw- dropping omission, and throws the entire forensic operation into question.
Privately, it will doubtless appall the McCanns. However, a source close to the couple assures me they do not believe Murat took their daughter, regarding him as a "sad loner" whose involvement has distracted attention which could have been usefully deployed elsewhere.

At the risk of being proved foolish, having spent 90 minutes with Murat - who chatted to me in the bar of his cousin's guesthouse near Praia da Luz - I believe the McCanns' instincts are probably right. Either that, or Murat is a consummate actor.

He was first thrust to the forefront of the investigation after a journalist found his behaviour sufficiently odd to merit reporting to the Portuguese police.

In a career spanning 30 years, I, too, have met some pretty despicable characters, but there was no aura of evil about the man I encountered last Wednesday.

Despite being under such stress that he has lost more than a stone, and has turned from a non-smoker into a 40-a-day man, Murat was reasonably articulate and polite. He even apologised for swearing.

Within the confines of Portuguese law, which forbids a suspected criminal to defend himself on peril of imprisonment, his denial of any involvement in Madeleine's abduction carried the ring of truth.

That said, he shows little insight into the way that some of his protestations leave him wide open to accusations of, at best, insensitivity and, at worst, utter callousness. For example, at one stage in our conversation he compared his own suffering to that of Gerry and Kate McCann.

"I'm going through exactly the same experience as the McCanns, so I can empathise with them,' he told me, seemingly unable to understand that no one - not even a man perhaps wrongly accused of child abduction - could begin to understand their torment.

"Whenever there's a sighting of a little girl, my hopes rise. And when it's not Madeleine, they sink, just like the McCanns'. Why? Because if they find Madeleine my name will be cleared."

Later, when protesting his innocence, Murat made another wholly inappropriate remark.

"It might sound harsh, but if anyone has broken the law, then the McCanns have," he said, frowning behind the thick-lensed glasses he has worn since a motorcycle accident cost him the sight of an eye.

"Portuguese law says that you can't leave young children unattended. They say they were eating in the complex (the Ocean Club, where the family were holidaying). But actually the apartment is outside, across an alley. So, I'm sorry, but they broke the law.

"I would never leave my daughter (Sofia, who lives with his estranged wife, in Norfolk). I won't let her out of my sight because she gets up at night and walks off.

"That said, I wouldn't criticise them because children are different, and only they know how their kids behave."

Listening to Murat talk in this manner, one wonders whether even the PR guru Max Clifford - who has offered his services to him, if and when he is cleared - can salvage his reputation.

But whatever we make of Murat, one thing is plain: he inhabits such a different world from the McCanns - caring parents, brilliant medical professionals, devout Roman Catholics.

Ultimately, however, only one thing matters: is Robert Murat telling the truth?

Even to start addressing that question, we need to return to the night, one month ago, when Madeleine disappeared from her bed in apartment 5A of the Ocean Club, in Praia da Luz, some time between 9.10pm and 10pm, as her parents ate supper in a tapas restaurant roughly 40 yards away.

The most plausible theory holds that she was snatched by someone who had studied Gerry and Kate's movements, possibly for days, and knew their evening routine.

Madeleine and their two-year-old twins, Sean and Amelia, were left alone in the apartment, but were checked approximately every 30 minutes. And this provides the first inconsistency in the case against Murat. He says he returned to Portugal, after a lengthy spell in Britain, at 9.40am, on Tuesday, May 1, two days before Madeleine's disappearance.

"So I am supposed to have planned the kidnapping of a little girl inside 50 hours," he told me, shaking his head.

"In that time, I supposedly identified the apartment where she was sleeping and spied on her, and worked out the times her parents went to dinner each night, then took her away. It's ludicrous.

"If you want my opinion, it had to involve someone on the inside, who works at the Ocean Club.

"How else would the abductor know when it was safe to take Madeleine? Have the police started looking at the people who work there? If not, they should."

The answer to Murat's question is 'Yes'. The police have checked out the Ocean Club staff - after a fashion. In the early days, all who worked there were interviewed. Yet, typically in an investigation botched and lax almost beyond belief, the questions were hardly probing.

By contrast, Murat was grilled for 19 hours, during which time he claims to have been offered only water. Fearing being jailed for speaking out, he declines to describe his experience, but says "it wasn't very pleasant".

"I was moved from room to room and interviewed by different people. You wouldn't believe the sort of things they asked me."
Meanwhile, detectives combed his mother's villa inch by inch and took away her green Volkswagen camper van.

They also confiscated five computers: three belonging to Murat, and two owned by a former business partner.

The hard drives are still being examined, but when I ask him about the allegation, reported by the Portuguese Press, that pornography of the most depraved kind has been found on one of the computers, he snapped: "It's scandalous. It's just made up. Pure fantasy."

So what is the firm evidence against him? Does his background perhaps offer some insight into the cold-hearted man some suspect him to be?

Born Robert James Queriol Eveleigh Murat, on November 20, 1973, he hails from an old family of port wine exporters. His late father John's ancestors settled in Portugal in the early 1700s, a history he plays up proudly.

His appearance is uncomfortably close to the description of Madeleine's likely abductor, which was provided by one of the McCanns' holiday companions who witnessed a man carrying a child away from the resort - a key piece of evidence belatedly released by the police this week.

Aged 33, Murat is about 5ft 8in, clean-shaven, stockily built and has short brown hair. He has a classless accent and behaves in the slightly superior, old-fashioned manner of an Englishman raised and educated abroad.

His early years were spent on the western tip of the Algarve, before it became an overdeveloped magnet for British expats-After leaving school, he sought work in the UK, drifting between menial jobs, including spells in a Norfolk garage and the Bernard Matthews turkey plant.

At 19, he began a relationship with a married woman eight years his senior, Dawn Chapman. She already had a son, aged six, but divorced and married Murat at Gretna Green, in March 2001. Their daughter, Sofia, was born 18 months later.

Murat's ambitions always extended beyond turkey-processing, but he never progressed in Britain. Finally, two years ago, he returned to Praia da Luz to forge a career in property sales.

With Dawn and Sofia, he moved into his mother's spacious £350,000 villa, Casa Liliana, barely visible behind a tall stand of pine trees amid unprepossessing breeze-block holiday apartments.

Murat's grand scheme foundered after barely three months. In September 2005, after a series of rows about his long working hours, his wife and daughter flew back to Britain.

He has since formed a relationship with a thirty-something German property saleswoman, Michaela Walczuch, who lives with her husband in nearby Lagos.

They have been described as lovers, but Murat denies this. "She's my partner, and we are very, very, very close - but she's not my girlfriend because she can't be. She's a Jehovah's Witness and she's still married. I'm not a Witness, but I attend study classes."

In recent months, Murat says, he has been striving to set up an on-line property sales business. His website was being designed by Sergey Malinka, 22, one of many Russians eking out a living on the Algarve.

However, Murat spent the spring in Sidmouth, Devon, renovating a house bequeathed to his mother, Jennifer, 71. He says it was she who collected him from Faro airport on May 1, a story she confirmed to me.

If we believe him, Murat spent the two days before the abduction in meetings about his website.

On Thursday, May 3, he returned home at about 8pm and ate supper with his mother. He thinks they had cheese and ham sandwiches. "I'm not much of a one for eating in the evening."

He claims to have passed the evening chatting with his mother and, again, she supports his alibi.

"It's an absolute nightmare," Mrs Murat told me. She is weatherbeaten and wears her long grey hair in a bun.

"I've lived in this area for 40 years. Now I can't walk into the supermarket. It's the biggest character assassination ever. Robert's older sister, Samantha, says he's the cleanest person she's ever known."

By Murat's account, he first learned about Madeleine's disappearance around 7.30am the following morning, when Samantha phoned from Devon after watching the news on TV.

Feeling the need to help, he quickly headed to the Ocean Club, mingling with the throng of police officers, family members and search volunteers.

As he is bilingual, he offered to interpret, and was later requested by the police to sign an oath of secrecy. "That's a matter of public record.'

At some stage, he recalls, he spoke to Gerry McCann, but he can't remember what passed between them. I ask him if he would like to meet the McCanns now? "I don't think that would serve any purpose for either of us," he replies, deadpan.

According to one witness, Murat went in and out of the McCanns' apartment. It has been suggested that he did this quite deliberately, so that he would have an explanation if and when his DNA was found inside.

However, he told me adamantly that he has never been inside apartment 5A, and knows its layout only because he searched a similar flat in the same block.

All this sounded plausible enough. His manner was less assured when I asked about the late-night mobile phone call to Sergey Malinka on the night of Madeleine's disappearance - a call he initially denied making, leaving some to suggest that the two men were in league. "I've checked my phone records and I admit they do show I made a call at 11.40pm," he says, lighting another cigarette.

"It lasted 30 seconds, so we must have talked, but I honestly can't remember what about. He was setting up my website, so it was probably that.

"It might seem very late to call someone, but that's how we live here. Afterwards, I phoned my sister. I rarely go to bed before midnight or 1am."

Ironically, Murat believes his mobile phone offers the best hope of proving his innocence.

He claims it is always switched on and in his possession.

British experts are said to have been coopted to pinpoint its precise whereabouts between 9.10pm and 10pm on May 3, using data about its position in relation to nearby phone masts, which can provide a mobile's location accurate to a radius of a few yards.

But this would be significant only if Murat could prove the phone was with him during that crucial window of time. Until these tests are complete, he is left in limbo.

"Basically, I'm just an ordinary, straightforward guy who's the victim of the biggest f***-up on this planet - if you'll excuse the language," he said.

Murat's gay American designer friend, Tuck Price, 43, who flitted in and out of the room during our interview, hardly helps his cause.

"When this is all over, I hope he makes a buck or two out of it," Price said shamelessly. "He bloody deserves it."

If Murat does, indeed, "make a buck", we may come to regard him in the same vein as Colin Stagg, who was wrongly accused of the Rachel Nickell murder on Wimbledon Common, for little reason other than that he was a local oddball who seemed to fit the frame. He is about to receive a huge police compensation pay-out.

Or will he turn out to be another Ian Huntley?

For Gerry and Kate McCann's sake, we can only hope that we find out unequivocally, one way or the other - and soon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html

[Any similarity between the journalist's name David Jones and David 'Fireman Sam' Jones is purely coincidental]

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 15.12.17 15:43

Mark Willis wrote:Remind me where they were the day after, Mr Verdi...
...as the SKYcopter follows Special Branch tailing them home (LIVE) to Rothley Towers...

Bit of a breakdown in communication methinks.  

Rather like the release of the PJ files into the public domain, very unfortunate that these reports are there for posterity.  How very embarrassing for the McCann defence league to witness one of their chief campaigners making such a colossal faux-pas on public record.

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Willis 15.12.17 16:24

By that time we had suspected our Government's intervention but it was nice of SKY to corroborate that.
I mean, I know you and me Mr Verdi are chaperoned about with police motorcycle outriders ahead and SWAT squads behind us, but not everyone is afforded that kind of protection lol!
Mark Willis
Mark Willis

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 16.12.17 1:05

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Sky News 

BREAKING NEWS 1:31pm UK, Tuesday July 15, 2008

Robert Murat has settled a claim for damages with a number of British newspapers over allegations of his involvement in the Madeleine McCann inquiry.

[color:b4a5=000000]Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Robertmurat1507
Mr Murat will be in the High Court in London on Thursday to receive apologies from the newspapers.

Sky's crime correspondent Martin Brunt said Mr Murat has settled with the lawyers of eight newspapers.

It is believed however that he was looking to sue 11 media outfits.

"I'm told there was speculation about a figure of £2m he was claiming," Brunt said.

"As I understand it, he's expecting to get £250,000 to £500,000."

"Sources say he will get a 'good substantial sum'."

Brunt added that Mr Murat was expecting to get a number of apologies read out in court.

It was widely considered at the time that this was one of the biggest ever libel claims.

Newspapers both in Portugal and Britain wrote many articles about Mr Murat when he became the first 'arguido' - or suspect - in the case of Madeleine's disappearance.

He was hauled in by Portuguese policemen, spoken to and questioned for about 17 hours before being released.

He vehemently denied any involvement and was quite taken aback by the newspaper speculation coverage of his alleged involvement.

Apart from allegations of him being involved, there were lurid allegations written about him and his private life.

"It will be of great relief to him," Brunt said.

"Certainly, the stigma of what's been said will be removed.

"It will go to clearing his name in the eyes of the British public. His reputation is somewhat restored."

Mr Murat remains arguido in Portugal and Brunt said there was no sign yet that that would change any time soon.

Madeleine disappeared on May 3, 2007, days before her fourth birthday.

She had been left sleeping in a holiday apartment as her parents Kate and Gerry dined with friends in a nearby tapas bar in the resort of Praia da Luz in southern Portugal.

Spokesman for the McCanns, Clarence Mitchell, said the couple would not be commenting as it is a matter for Mr Murat and his lawyers.

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 16.12.17 12:38

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 Bolton_newsOriginal Source: THE BOLTON NEWS: WEDNESDAY 30 MAY 2007
8:31am Wednesday 30th May 2007 By Saiqa Chaudhari ?

Media Mayhem - MCCANN MEDIA NONSENSE OF THE DAY - Page 8 BoltonNews-30-5-7-father_seddon
COMFORT: Father Seddon
A PRIEST from Atherton flew to Portugal to comfort the McCann family as they continue to search for their daughter Madeleine.
Father Paul Seddon baptised four-year-old Madeleine and married parents Kate and Gerry eight years ago while he was based in Liverpool.
He moved to Atherton in September last year but has maintained strong links with the family and was asked by them to fly to the resort of Praia da Luz in which Madeleine disappeared nearly four weeks ago.
He has now returned home although the search for the girl continues.
Yesterday, her parents released the last video clips taken of their daughter before her disappearance, showing her dressed in pink and holding a rucksack, walking on to a flight at East Midlands Airport.
The mobile phone footage also shows her on an airport bus in the Algarve.
Father Seddon has spoken of the "tidal wave of empathy and love" which has flowed towards the family during that anxious time.
He said: "I went as a friend rather than a priest. Kate called me in the early hours of the morning shortly after Madeleine's disappearance. Both she and Gerry were very distressed and I tried to comfort them as best I could."
He added that the world had been inspired by the family's resilient reaction to her abduction.
He was also impressed by the massive number of visitors who have visited a website set up for Madeleine.
He said: "Initially we all felt weak and helpless but when we looked at this couple in the most awful situation imaginable, we asked ourselves the question - if they can be so courageous, why can't we?"
He added: "The emphasis is now on how we can channel negative emotions into positive action to make things better. We are not going to look back now, we're going to look forward.
"Gerry spoke of the tidal wave of destruction Madeleine's disappearance caused. It has now been met by a tidal wave of empathy and love which has been turned into hope and action."
Father Seddon is the Roman Catholic parish priest of St Richard's Church in Atherton.
He said Kate's deep-rooted faith had helped carry the family through the trauma and that Gerry, a consultant cardiologist, has had a possible religious awakening

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 17.12.17 12:44

Panorama walk-out over McCann film

Why did TV journalist David Mills, the producer of a Panorama film on the McCann affair, quit the project before it was transmitted last week? The Observer's David Rose reveals the inside story of the latest row to hit the BBC's flagship show

David Rose
Sunday 25 November 2007 10.25 GMT   First published on Sunday 25 November 2007 10.25 GMT [that month again...]

In the credits at the end of last week's Panorama special on the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, one name was conspicuous by its absence - that of David Mills, the programme's original producer. His name had disappeared from the end credits despite the fact that it was his company, Mills Productions, that had done all the research and was responsible for bringing the exclusive footage at the film's heart to the BBC.

Two weeks before transmission last Tuesday, Mills - one of Britain's most respected documentary-makers, who in his 40-year career has made 120 investigative films for broadcasters including the BBC, Granada, Thames and America's CBS - walked out of the programme after a furious row with Panorama's editor, Sandy Smith, over the programme's approach and argument.

He then wrote a stinging email to the BBC attacking Panorama for losing its journalistic passion. It has created a stir in the media world, mixing as it does the controversial issues of the McCanns and how their story is covered, journalistic balance and television current affairs.

'I had written a draft script and had already been told it was compelling,' Mills said. 'Sandy turned up with a completely different version and basically imposed it on me. I told him, "I cannot edit the film to this: it's a completely different show, and I'm not going to do it." To have this happening is very depressing.'

The incident - one of several controversies Panorama has faced this year - suggests, Mills said, that 'the BBC is no longer interested in serious current affairs'. BBC sources confirmed last night that the decisions about the programme's shape had been taken 'close to the top' of the BBC management hierarchy - which has already conducted a series of internal meetings over how the corporation should approach McCann case coverage in general.

As one of those interviewed by Mills and the programme's reporter, Richard Bilton, I can attest to how different the programme shown was to what they told me less than a month ago that they were envisaging. Along with The Observer's Ned Temko, who has covered the case for this newspaper, I ended up on the cutting-room floor. At that stage - as Mills's draft script makes plain - his intention was to make an analytical, investigative programme that would have been very critical of the Portuguese police, not only for the errors in their investigation, but for their apparent campaign of disinformation designed to put pressure on Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann. It would also have criticised both the local and British press over allegations that they recycled unfounded rumours with little sign of fact-checking or detachment.

It would, as Mills confirmed again yesterday, have scrutinised the various allegations that have been floated against the McCanns and concluded they are baseless: 'We had an investigative team looking into the story for weeks. Our assessment was that the purported DNA evidence was weak and inconclusive, while so far as we could tell the supposedly significant "discrepancies" between the stories told by the McCanns' friends about the night of Madeleine's disappearance amount to very little indeed.'

The original film would have compared Madeleine to the JonBenet Ramsey case in Colorado, about which Mills has made three previous documentaries. After the body of JonBenet, a child beauty pageant winner aged six, was found in her parents' Boulder home, they were vilified by the police and media, despite their continued insistence that they had nothing to do with her death. They claimed she had been killed by an intruder. Mills's version of the McCann Panorama featured an interview - eventually not used - with JonBenet's father, John, in which he said that the Colorado police 'did a great job of convincing the media and the world that we were guilty, but they couldn't charge us, because of course they had no case'. Years later DNA evidence proved beyond doubt that JonBenet had been killed by an intruder. John Ramsey told Panorama: 'It's a life-time damage. No question about it.'

The programme on the McCanns that was broadcast by Panorama was much less ambitious. It recited the case both for and against the McCanns, but had nothing harsh to say about either the police or the media. It did include new material, including a video diary shot of the McCanns in Portugal by their friend John Corner - footage that had been acquired by Mills and had led to his company getting the BBC commission.

It also cast doubt on some of the wilder claims published by the tabloids, and contained the first interview with Jane Tanner, one of the McCanns' companions on the holiday in Praia de Luz last May, who said that she was certain she had seen a girl who looked like Madeleine being carried in the street by a strange man around the time she is thought to have disappeared. But the programme avoided firm conclusions.

Having handed the film's editing over to a colleague, Mills emailed Smith on Monday, the day before transmission, saying he felt compelled to remove both his name and his company's from the credits. 'In part this is because its muddled structure and lack of narrative drive means it is far below the standard of any work that I or my company would wish to be associated with,' the email said. 'In part, too, my decision reflects the programme's intellectual impoverishment. The McCann case poses issues of real importance which Panorama should have examined. That it is instead running a laboured, pedestrian, extended news report is shameful.

'But the most important reason for my decision is that because the programme is insufficiently analytical it verges on the dishonest. Our lengthy investigation revealed that there is no meaningful evidence against the McCanns... The real question must be how, without any meaningful evidence, the Portuguese police and the media in Portugal and Britain have been able to convince most people that the couple were involved.'

Mills had been working closely with a CBS team, which also used the video diary footage. They, he told Smith, had concluded it was 'ludicrous' and 'crazy' to think the McCanns could have caused the death or disappearance.

Smith emailed Mills back, accusing him of wanting to broadcast 'advocate journalism', and pointing out that the broadcast version did describe some of the allegations against the McCanns as 'tenuous, to put it mildly'. Smith said that, while it was true that the programme 'changed substantively,' this was because 'it is a current affairs programme and it was overtaken by events'. He added: 'To get Jane Tanner and some of the McCann family meant that some of the other stuff moved to the edge, and the original version was just not journalistically as important.'

Mills disagrees. 'So far as I can see, investigative journalism at the BBC is over,' he said. 'The broadcast script contains nuances that suggest that the McCanns still have a case to answer. The BBC should have had the courage to state that this is simply not so.'

Clarence Mitchell, the former BBC reporter who is the McCanns' spokesman, said Kate and Gerry were 'content' with the broadcast version and accepted that events meant it had to change. He said they had spoken to Bilton and told him they considered the film to be 'fair'.

Other McCann family members were less happy. John, Gerry's brother, whose interview was broadcast, said: 'It wasn't the programme that I was told they were going to make. They've made something very different, and I am disappointed, because I'd hoped the full story was going to be told. Nevertheless I'm pleased they interviewed Jane Tanner. She said she saw Madeleine being abducted, and we want people to remember that.'

The row follows controversies over previous films this year, such as a report on Scientology by former Observer journalist John Sweeney, in which he lost his temper and turned - in his words - into an 'exploding tomato,' and a story claiming that wi-fi technology might be harmful, which was denounced by some scientists as 'irresponsible'.

As someone who once spent a year reporting for Panorama myself, I know that no BBC programme is more closely scrutinised and, sometimes, fought over. The fact remains some of its most distinguished contributors, including Tom Mangold and John Ware, have left in recent years, and that it has been repeatedly accused of punching below its weight. Mills is not a marginal figure, and the CBS film with which he was collaborating was much firmer in its conclusion that the McCanns had to be innocent.

Last night the BBC hierarchy was closing ranks to resist Mills's arguments. Outside the corporation, they may not be as easily dismissed.

'Your programme verges on the dishonest'
Sent: 19 November, 2007 12:12
To: 'Sandy Smith'
Subject: credit
Dear Sandy,
As you know, in the end I felt I could not leave either my name or my company credit on the programme.

In part this is because its muddled structure and lack of narrative drive means it is far below the standard of any work that I or my company would wish to be associated with.

In part, too, my decision reflects the programme's intellectual impoverishment. The McCann case poses issues of real importance which Panorama should have examined. That it is instead running a laboured, pedestrian extended news report is shameful.

But the most important reason for my decision is that because the programme is insufficiently analytical; it verges on the dishonest. Our lengthy investigation revealed that there is no meaningful evidence against the McCanns. Our CBS colleagues concluded that it was 'ludicrous' and 'crazy' to think them involved and that ... 'the child was abducted'.

The real question must be how, without any meaningful evidence, the Portuguese police and the media in Portugal and Britain have been able to convince most people that the couple were involved. Yet while the programme drips innuendos against the McCanns, it does not put a single challenging question to anyone in the Portuguese police or to anyone in the media. This is truly astonishing.

David Mills

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/nov/25/bbc

----------

Trouble-at-t-mill?  I see Jon Corner gets a mention.  Remind me, what was the function of Clarence Mitchell - spin doctor or just someone who knows a lot of faces?

ex moderator
ex moderator

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top