The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Mm11

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Mm11

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Regist10

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Empty IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member

Post by Jill Havern 20.05.17 16:17

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member:

Personally speaking now the IPSO has had it's chance so I feel like it's time to go public with some of this and how corrupt they are in connection to this case.

Initial complaint raised on the 2nd April 2017.

To Sir/Madam,
I wish to raise an official complaint about a breach of your Code of Practice, clause 1 – Accuracy.  The offending article in question is this one [url=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-relieved-portuguese-10141308 from April 1st 2017][/url]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-relieved-portuguese-10141308 from April 1st 2017, 22:31pm by Patrick Hill.  This article breaches your Code of Practice because of the following quote which is stated as fact in the article “Amaral’s first book was published three days after Portuguese authorities closed the inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance in 2008 and cleared Gerry and Kate of any wrong doing”.  This is a flat out lie based on several legal sources and documentation of the Portuguese Justice and Court system of which I’ll include links to at the end.  For now though let me bring this Daily Mirror article to your attention http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-slam-judges-9865132 which was published in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s decision and judgement in which it was stated as fact that the McCann’s were not proven innocent – not cleared.  The Daily Mirror’s own quote in this article states “Kate and Gerry McCann slammed judges who said the lifting of their arguidos status was not the same thing as ruling them innocent”.  It is crystal clear that even from these two articles that the latter and more recent one has breached your clause for Accuracy as they have printed an out and out lie in saying the McCann’s were “cleared of any wrong doing”.  The Portuguese Justice System has made it crystal clear that this is not the case, they have not been cleared, they have not been found innocent of any wrong doing.  Further articles go on to say that the McCann’s complained about this decision and judgement but this too was rejected pretty quickly as it had no foundation and yet again the courts in Portugal reaffirmed that the McCann’s have not and have never been cleared of any wrong doing and to quote the Supreme Court of Portugal “It should not be said that the appellants were cleared via the ruling announcing the archiving of the criminal case”.  That quote can be found not only in the official court documents of the Supreme Court but also in the Daily Mirror’s own article, link here http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-gerry-mccann-not-totally-9782804.  The Daily Mirror themselves has proven the breach of your Code of Practice, clause 1 – Accuracy within their offending article by using proper legally backed documentation.

You may peruse the official court documents for yourself here http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/

It is crystal clear that ANY media outlet that prints that the McCann’s were cleared in 2008 upon archiving of the case, or any words that intimate the same outcome is wholly wrong to do so and therefore breaches your clause 1 – Accuracy as it is misleading, distorting, worse still it’s a bare faced lie which can be proven with legal documentation.

Yours faithfully,

---------------

A further complaint was submitted on the 3rd April 2017 about a reprint of the original offending article from a different rag:
To Sir/Madam,
I wish to raise another official complaint about a breach of your Code of Practice, clause 1 – Accuracy.  The offending article in question is this one https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3234402/relief-for-tormented-parents-of-madeleine-mccann-as-cop-ditches-plans-to-write-new-bombshell-book-on-missing-girls-case/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-TheSun-_-News-_-FBLink-_-Reply-_-FBPAGE by Sara Koumani at 02:32am on 2nd April 2017.  This article breaches your Code of Practice because of the following quote which is stated as fact in the article “Amaral’s first book was published three days after Portuguese authorities closed the inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance in 2008 and cleared Gerry and Kate of any wrong doing”.  This is a flat out lie based on several legal sources and documentation of the Portuguese Justice and Court system of which I’ll include links to at the end.  For now though let me bring this The Sun article to your attention https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2901386/mccanns-prepped-for-new-court-battle-against-detective-who-claimed-they-faked-maddies-kidnap/ which was published in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s decision and judgement in which it was stated as fact that the McCann’s were not proven innocent – not cleared.  The Sun’s own quote in this article states “Last month’s ruling bought more anguish for Kate and Gerry, both 48, after judges also said the removal of their arguidos status or ‘formal suspect’ should be equated to proof of innocence”.  It is crystal clear that even from these two articles that the latter and more recent one has breached your clause for Accuracy as they have printed an out and out lie in saying the McCann’s were “cleared of any wrong doing”.  The Portuguese Justice System has made it crystal clear that this is not the case, they have not been cleared, they have not been found innocent of any wrong doing.  Further articles go on to say that the McCann’s complained about this decision and judgement but this too was rejected pretty quickly as it had no foundation and yet again the courts in Portugal reaffirmed that the McCann’s have not and have never been cleared of any wrong doing and to quote the Supreme Court of Portugal “It should not be said that the appellants were cleared via the ruling announcing the archiving of the criminal case”.  That quote can be found not only in the official court documents of the Supreme Court but also in the Daily Mail’s  article, link herehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4206214/Court-says-Madeleine-McCann-s-parents-HAVEN-T-cleared.html. 
You may peruse the official court documents for yourself here http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/

It is crystal clear that ANY media outlet that prints that the McCann’s were cleared in 2008 upon archiving of the case, or any words that intimate the same outcome is wholly wrong to do so and therefore breaches your clause 1 – Accuracy as it is misleading, distorting, worse still it’s a bare faced lie which can be proven with legal documentation.  To date that now makes 2 newspaper outlets that have breached your Code of Practice for the same issue.

Yours faithfully,

--------------

Response received for the 2nd April 2017 complaint:

Dear Mr H,
Thank you for contacting the Independent Press Standards Organisation. 
Your complaint is currently being assessed by IPSO’s staff, and we will be in touch with you again shortly. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. 
Should we decide that your complaint does not raise a possible breach of the Code, we will write to you to explain why and send a copy of your complaint, including your name and any contact details you have provided, and our letter to the publication. 
Alternatively, if we decide that the concerns you have raised fall within our remit and raise a possible breach of the Code, and you have not previously exhausted the publication’s internal complaints procedures, a copy of your complaint and any other correspondence you have sent to us, including contact information, will be sent to the publication to provide it with the opportunity to resolve the matter directly with you. 
A copy of the Editors’ Code of Practice, which is administered by IPSO, can be found at: https://www.ipso.co.uk/editors-code-of-practice/. 
Please note, in addition, the following information about our confidentiality and data protection procedures: 
Confidentiality: The system of self-regulation requires good faith on both sides.  In order for us to be able to investigate complaints effectively, it is essential that neither party to a complaint, complainant or newspaper/magazine, publishes information which has been provided as part of the investigation - most notably correspondence - without the consent of the other party. Should either party publish or disclose such information without consent, we may decline to consider the complaint further. Material provided by both complainants and publications during an investigation must only be used for the purpose of the complaint to us. This policy does not prevent IPSO from publishing details of correspondence exchanged during the complaint as part of a ruling on the complaint. 
Data protection: By pursuing the complaint, you consent to the processing of any personal data which may be provided for the purposes of dealing with your complaint.  
Publication of decisions: Should IPSO’s Complaints Committee be asked, after an investigation of your concerns by IPSO, to decide whether your complaint raises a breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice, its conclusions will be published. You will be identified as the complainant, unless you have requested to be anonymous, and the Committee has granted the request. 
Further information about complaining to IPSO, including a summary of the complaints procedure, can be found at: https://www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/makeacomplaint.html. 
With best wishes,

Todd Stammers
Systems Handler
IPSO
Gate House
1 Farringdon Street
London
EC4M 7LG
Tel: 0300 123 2220
----------------

21st April 2017 sees the rejection of my complaint:
I write further to our earlier email regarding your complaint about an article headlined “Madeleine McCann’s parents relieved as Portuguese cop axes controversial new book on case”, published by Mirror.co.uk on 8th February 2017.

On receipt of a complaint, IPSO’s Executive reviews it to ensure that it falls within our remit, and discloses a possible breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice. The Executive has now completed an assessment of your complaint under the terms of the Code. Having considered the points you have raised in full, we have concluded that your complaint does not raise a possible breach of the Code.

Your complaint was made under Clause 1 (Accuracy). You said that it was inaccurate to state that the Inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance “cleared Kate and Gerry of any wrongdoing”. You provided news articles in support of your complaint which reported that the Portuguese civil court has said the removal of their status as persons of interest did not amount to being cleared of any wrongdoing.

The status of the McCanns as persons of interest was lifted in 2008. The newspaper was entitled to characterise the removal of this status as being cleared of any wrongdoing in the absence of any official determination on the issue of their guilt or innocence. We did not therefore consider that the article was significantly inaccurate, and did not consider that your complaint raised a possible breach of Clause 1.

You are entitled to request that the Executive’s decision to reject your complaint be reviewed by IPSO’s Complaints Committee. To do so you will need to write to us in the next seven days, setting out the reasons why you believe the decision should be reviewed. Please note that we are unable to accept requests for review made seven days after the date of this email.

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider the points you have raised, and have shared this correspondence with the newspaper to make it aware of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Alistair Henwood
---------------

This prompted my appeal which was filed on the 27th April 2017:

Sir/Madam,
My original complaint comprised of two main points which are actually the same point, but from the IPSO response appear to have been misrepresented so for clarification I will now list the two points of complaint:
1)       I said that it was inaccurate to state that the Inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance “cleared Kate and Gerry of any wrongdoing”.  This was stated in my original complaint and also the one point focused on by the IPSO given your response.
2)       I also stated and reiterated “any media outlet that prints that the McCann’s were cleared in 2008 upon archiving of the case” is wrong to do so.

To support this I included links to 3 Daily Mirror articles which are;
1)       [url=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-relieved-portuguese-10141308 from April 1st 2017][/url]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-relieved-portuguese-10141308 from April 1st 2017  In this link the offending quote is printed “Amaral’s first book was published three days after Portuguese authorities closed the inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance in 2008 and cleared Gerry and Kate of any wrong doing”.  For the purposes of my complaint I think this quote can be reduced down to the following “Portuguese closed the inquiry in 2008 and cleared Kate and Gerry”.
2)       http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-slam-judges-9865132 In this link is the following quote “Kate and Gerry McCann slammed judges who said the lifting of their arguidos status was not the same thing as ruling them innocent”.
3)       http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-gerry-mccann-not-totally-9782804 In this link is this quote ““It should not be said that the appellants were cleared via the ruling announcing the archiving of the criminal case”.

For further corroborating evidence I submitted this link to you http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/ This link contains all of the official Portuguese court system documentation that the McCann’s V Mr Amaral case has been involved in, including the more recent Supreme Court ruling in its entirety for your information when assessing the validity of the Daily Mirror’s quotes from the same documents.  From your response it is plain to see that you accept these documents exist and that they are the ultimate guide for your information in deciding upon breaches of your Code of Practice.  For matters of convenience here is a link to the Supreme Court documents that have been translated into English http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Supreme_Court_31_01_2017.htm#70.  This link will take you directly to page 70 of the Portuguese Supreme Court ruling documents in which you will find the following quotes:
1)      “And let it not be said, too, that the appellants were cleared by the order of filing the criminal proceedings”.
2)      “Thus it does not appear acceptable to consider that the alluded dispatch, based on the insufficiency of evidence, should be treated as evidence of innocence”.

With this in mind I will now include a quote from your response to me which appears to be the deciding factor in rejecting my initial complaint; “The newspaper was entitled to characterise the removal of this status as being cleared of any wrongdoing in the absence of any official determination on the issue of their guilt or innocence”.  There are a few serious problems with your response here namely:
1)       In the absence of any official determination on the issue of guilt or innocence, no one can say for sure which one it is can they?  So how can you state implicitly that the Daily Mirror can state they were cleared?!  Surely in the interest of your Code of Practice and in fairness if you cannot state with fact and there’s no official determination either way then it would be better to not say anything at all, as the matter is so ambiguous?!
2)       Except there is some guidance and fact here in this instance, as per point 2 (above) made from page 70 of the Supreme Court documentation – It’s not acceptable to consider the archiving, based on insufficiency of evidence, as evidence of innocence.  Their current status as per the Portuguese Supreme Court documentation is not innocent.  True they are not classed as guilty either but either way for the IPSO to claim the press can print that the McCann’s have been cleared is factually, legally and morally wrong.

This brings me onto the main point of my original complaint namely that when press articles state that the McCann’s were cleared in 2008 when the Portuguese PJ case was archived, this is factually and legally incorrect and that it is wrong to state this.
I need only include the one quote from the Portuguese Supreme Court documents and it is this one:
1)       “And let it not be said, too, that the appellants were cleared by the order of filing the criminal proceedings”.  The McCann’s were not cleared when the case was archived in 2008!  For the record they were the only 2 formal suspects!

To summarize then, the McCann’s have not been cleared of any wrong doing and neither have they been cleared because of the archiving of the case in 2008 by the Portuguese authorities.  These two main issues are corroborated by documents from the highest court in Portugal to which the McCann’s took their legal battle, again the reference to these legal documents is here http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Supreme_Court_31_01_2017.htm#70.  To state that either or both of these points in the British media is factually, legally and morally incorrect and inaccurate to do so and is therefore a clear and obvious breach of the IPSO Code of Practice, clause 1 – accuracy.

Some other interesting additional information to consider:
1)       The IPSO stated in their response “You provided news articles in support of your complaint”.  As previously mentioned I also provided links to the official Portuguese Supreme Court documents on which the Daily Mirror’s articles are loosely based.  The IPSO refused to acknowledge these documents as supporting evidence in their response.
2)       This original complaint was submitted late on the 2nd April 2017, confirmation received on the morning of 3rd April 2017.  Considering the main point of my complaint which was “any media outlet that prints that the McCann’s were cleared in 2008 upon archiving of the case” is wrong to do so, and that on the evening of the 3rd April 2017 The Sun also repeated the exact same claim from the first Daily Mirror link I provided.  I have evidence that the IPSO temporarily blocked the email address that I used to submit this complaint from, to prevent me from submitting further complaints.  I also have further evidence to support this accusation as per complaint IPSO: #05801-17# which was submitted about The Suns article but sent from an alternative email address in between times that I attempted to submit from my usual email address, all attempts of which came back as rejected/blocked by the IPSO server and client host.

Moving on to complaint #05801-17# of which you have just responded to.  My response to this complaint is mostly the same as above with the exception of the following errors on the IPSO’s part.
1)       Alistair Henwood claims that my complaint was about an article from The Sun on the 19th February 2017 entitled “Cover Up Challenge”.  This is wholly wrong as my complaint was actually about this article of which you have provided proof I submitted to you, via several means https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3234402/relief-for-tormented-parents-of-madeleine-mccann-as-cop-ditches-plans-to-write-new-bombshell-book-on-missing-girls-case/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-TheSun-_-News-_-FBLink-_-Reply-_-FBPAGE dated 3rd April 2017.  So immediately your decision in this particular complaint is invalidated because you haven’t assessed the correct article.
2)       In conjunction with this complaint and all of the above I will state once more that it is legally, factually and morally wrong for newspapers or indeed yourselves to print, state or reinforce the notion that the McCann’s have been cleared of a) any wrong doing or b) upon case archival in 2008.  This is simply not true and supported by legal court documents from the highest court in Portugal.  Therefore newspapers are not entitled to characterise this is any other way, shape or form just to be able to print clear propaganda that has been so evident over the last decade.  Furthermore your Code of Practice dictates that you must not support this characterisation or (un)intentional misleading of the facts.
3)       The Metropolitan Police have stated several things over the years via press releases.  Some of the more important ones are: 1) It’s a Portuguese Police investigation, they have supremacy. 2) The original Portuguese Police original investigation concluded that the McCann’s are involved with Madeleine’s disappearance, death, disposal and subsequent cover up of this. 3) Scotland Yard’s Operation Grange has very recently admitted that they’ve reviewed these files and as far as parental involvement goes, they are happy with these files – What does that tell you?! 4) Ultimately as the original incident occurred in Portugal, the lead police force was the Portuguese PJ, the legal trials that the McCann’s instigated and subsequently lost against Mr Amaral in were all Portuguese, the final verdicts in that dispute all came from the highest court in Portugal – The Supreme Court.  Therefore considering all of this neither you or the newspapers have any grounds whatsoever to ignore, contradict or misinterpret the a) verdict or b) the legal ramifications of those Supreme Court documents or the Portuguese PJ case files.

Yours faithfully,

--------------

Received the rejection last night based upon what I perceive to be an absolute joke given it appears to be a flat out lie:

Dear Mr H,

The Complaints Committee has considered your complaints, the emails of 21 and 26 April 2017 from IPSO’s Executive notifying you of its view that your complaints did not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice, and your email of 27 April 2017 requesting a review of the Executive’s decision, and has agreed the following decision:

The Committee would like to apologise, on behalf of the Executive, for the incorrect reference to the headline, in their initial response to you in regards to your complaint against thesun.co.uk. It would like to assure you that this was an administrative error, and that your complaint has been carefully considered under the correct article.

The Committee noted your broader concerns regarding the reporting of the Portuguese police investigation into Madeleine McCann’s disappearance. You expressed concern that it was inaccurate to report that Mr and Mrs McCann were “cleared of any wrongdoing”. In circumstances where Mr and Mrs McCann are no longer being investigated as formal suspects, in light of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the Committee did not consider that it was significantly misleading to report that Mr and Mrs McCann were “cleared of any wrongdoing”. As the articles do not refer to the case being archived, the Committee declined to reopen your complaint on this point. 

For these reasons, and the reasons already provided by IPSO’s Executive, your complaint did not raise a possible breach of the Code.

The Committee would like to thank you for giving it the opportunity to consider your concerns. 

Best wishes,

Abigail Tuitt
-------------

The IPSO's deciding factor in rejecting this appeal was because "the articles do not refer to the case being archived".  Yet one of the very first points I raised in my complaints was about this line "Amaral’s first book was published three days after Portuguese authorities closed the inquiry into Madeleine’s disappearance in 2008 and cleared Gerry and Kate of any wrong doing".  I also stated this in my complaint as it's quite relevant: It is crystal clear that ANY media outlet that prints that the McCann’s were cleared in 2008 upon archiving of the case, or any words that intimate the same outcome is wholly wrong to do so.  Might just be me, but now the IPSO are denying the very thing the press have printed, the press apparently didn't refer to the case being archived - just closed!

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40917

Back to top Go down

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Empty a load of old IPSOS

Post by worriedmum 20.05.17 18:20

GEG,I applaud your endeavour and tenacity. Personally I think the fact that the articles that IPSO say 'do not refer to the case being archived' being an excuse not to re-open the original complaint is a total red herring.

And what, pray, does 'not significantly misleading ' mean? A little bit misleading? Fairly misleading? Misleading but hey, who cares? Isn't it either 'misleading'(weasel word) or TRUE? angrypcuser
worriedmum
worriedmum

Activity : 2819

Back to top Go down

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Empty Re: IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member

Post by Jill Havern 20.05.17 18:43

Hi worriedmum, I can't take the credit for the excellent letters I've posted on the forum this afternoon, it was another CMOMM member who wants to remain anonymous.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member Empty Re: IPSO complaint written by a CMOMM member

Post by Verdi 20.05.17 21:03

glee Someone is not procrastinating!

Another humdinger clapping1 .

Time-wasters take note - CMoMM means business whether you like it or not!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 42327

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 20.05.17 21:12

Verdi wrote:glee Someone is not procrastinating!

Yes, indeed.

Now that the 10th Anniversary shitefest tsunami is over we can get back to business.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 20.05.17 21:19

Get'emGonçalo wrote:

Yes, indeed.

Now that the 10th Anniversary shitefest tsunami is over we can get back to business.
Amen!

I don't envisage another 'special occasion' in the foreseeable future - at least not until the latest Operation Grange stay of execution has ended and/or next Yule Tide. 

They've played their finale they've had their encore and now the curtain is down.

End of show!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 28.07.17 12:41

New complaints raised in relation to recent articles. 

A CMOMM member writes: "As they won't do anything I have not put much effort into the complaint here but have done in an official formal complaint that I'm writing, pending the results of this."

Dear Sir/Madam,
Please find attached 2 separate complaints about contraventions of your Code of Practice, clause 1 for Accuracy.

Complaint 1 – Regarding this link - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2751442/goncalo-amaral-madeleine-mccann-kate-gerry/ - Passages in this article breach the accuracy clause because they are flat out incorrect. 
The snippets I refer too are:
·         “Ex-Madeleine McCann cop who claims Kate and Gerry killed their daughter”
·          “He has repeatedly claimed Mattie was killed by her parents ever since”
·          “The 57 year old has remained an outspoken critic of British Police and the McCann’s and has repeatedly claimed Gerry and Kate killed their daughter”.

Worse still in this article, is the fact that something resembling the truth is printed which refutes the aforementioned lies and proves that a breach of your Code of Practice has taken place multiple times:
·         “Amaral released a book and subsequent TV documentary called ‘The Truth of The Lie’ in which he claims the McCann’s faked the abduction to cover their tracks after she had been accidentally killed”
·         “In the book, it is claimed that Maddie had died in the family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz and her parents faked her abduction to cover up the tragedy”.

As one can clearly see, the first blatantly incorrect claims are inaccurate and outright lies and therefore a clear breach of the IPSO Code of Practice, clause 1 – Accuracy.

Complaint 2 – Regarding this link - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3996381/madeleine-mccanns-parents-kate-and-gerry-have-failed-in-their-battle-to-silence-ex-portuguese-cop-over-sick-slurs/ - - Passages in this article breach the accuracy clause because they absolutely cannot be determined and therefore inaccurate and misleading. 
The snippets I refer too are:
·         “Mr Amaral claimed in a TV documentary and his bestselling 2008 book that the parents had killed Maddie and faked her kidnapping after she vanished in Praia da Luz in 2007 – but there is no truth in the claims”.      
·         “The Policia Judiciaria inspector led the initial bungled hunt for Maddie”

First point here also pertains to Complaint 1 in that nowhere does Mr Amaral claim such a thing.  Secondly in this point is the ludicrous assertion that “there is no truth in the claims” – This is absolutely 100% uncorroborated, unconfirmed and neither the journalist in question, The Sun or you the IPSO can ascertain or confirm such a statement.  For the truth of this point I could use that same quote to explain the logic – There is no truth in the claims of Tracey Kandohla/The Sun who claims there is no truth in the claims of Mr Amaral that the McCann’s killed Madeleine.
Second point, who said any part of the investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance was ‘bungled’ besides the McCann paid for and fed media? – of which it is documented.  No one is the answer.  This claim is libellous of Mr Amaral and the Portuguese PJ not to mention wholly unsubstantiated and misinforming. 

Clear breaches of your Code of Practice, clause 1 – Accuracy here for you to action.

------------------

As predictable as ever, complaints rejected:

I write further to our earlier email regarding your complaint about articles headlined:

1.    “’IT’S THE END OF THE ROAD Madeleine McCann’s parents Kate and Gerry ‘have failed’ in their battle to silence ex-Portuguese cop over sick slurs” published by thesun.co.uk on 12 July 2017.

2.    “MADDIE CONSPIRACY COP Who is Goncalo Amaral? Ex-Madeleine McCann cop who claims Kate and Gerry killed their daughter” published by thesun.co.uk on 12 July 2017.

On receipt of a complaint, IPSO’s Executive reviews it to ensure that it falls within our remit and raises a possible breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice. The Executive has now completed an assessment of your complaint under the terms of the Code. Having considered the points you have raised in full, we have concluded that your complaint does not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code.

We noted your concerns that the articles breached Clause 1 (Accuracy), because they described Goncalo Amaral as claiming that the McCanns “killed” Madeleine, when his book in fact claimed that Madeleine died in an accident and that Kate and Gerry McCann concealed her death. We noted that both articles also reported that he had alleged the McCann’s faked the abduction after Madeleine had accidentally been killed. The first article went on to make clear that “in his once banned book ‘The Truth of the Lie’, [Mr Amaral] claimed Maddie accidentally died in an accident at the holiday flat or by being given an overdose of sedatives”. We considered that, where Mr Amaral had alleged that the McCanns may have accidentally killed their daughter and the articles both explained the precise allegation made, the use of “killing” in the sentences you highlighted was not significantly misleading.  

We also noted your second complaint under Clause 1 (Accuracy).  We considered that the statement “Mr Amaral claimed in a TV documentary and his bestselling 2008 book that the parents had killed Maddie and faked her kidnapping after she vanished in Praia da Luz in 2007 – but there is no truth in the claims” accurately summarized the allegations Mr Amaral had made and the fact that they had not been substantiated; we considered that the Sun was entitled to make clear its view that, in the absence of evidence, there was no truth in the allegations.  We considered that the claim “the Policia Judiciaria inspector led the initial bungled hunt for Maddie” was the Sun’s comment on Mr Amaral’s involvement in a lengthy police investigation that had involved an initial search and subsequent re-investigation.  We considered that the newspaper was entitled to give its opinion in this way and that it was not significantly misleading for the newspaper to refer to the “initial bungled hunt for Maddie”. 

Overall, we considered that your complaint did not raise a possible breach of Clause 1. 

You are entitled to request that the Executive’s decision to reject your complaint be reviewed by IPSO’s Complaints Committee. To do so you will need to write to us in the next seven days, setting out the reasons why you believe the decision should be reviewed. Please note that we are unable to accept requests for review made seven days after the date of this email.

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider the points you have raised, and have shared this correspondence with the newspaper to make it aware of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Catherine Thomas
cc thesun.co.uk

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by sar 28.07.17 13:57

Get'emGonçalo wrote:

Yes, indeed.

+1 Get'emGonçalo

Hats of for your unswerving dedication
sar

Activity : 1680

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 28.07.17 15:52

Overall, we considered that your complaint did not raise a possible breach of Clause 1. 

Best wishes,

Catherine Thomas

---------

Best wishes - my bum! 

What a load of old waffle.  If you asked them to provide the spelling and/or meaning of the word 'tabloid' they've no doubt got a clause to hide behind.  Deliberately, they make it nigh on impossible to penetrate the system.

I had an ongoing altercation with the BBC many moons ago - end result zero.  I went right the way through the system from the tea-trolley up to the Director General who referred me to the Trust who sent me on my way back down the ladder, only ending back where I started - the tea-trolley.

gm

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Philo Beddoe 28.07.17 16:27

Appeal complaint filed, written with unhappy thoughts in mind so probably wrong but sent it anyway.
Philo Beddoe
Philo Beddoe

Activity : 155

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 28.07.17 16:43

Verdi wrote:

Best wishes,

Catherine Thomas

---------

Best wishes - my bum! 

What a load of old waffle.  If you asked them to provide the spelling and/or meaning of the word 'tabloid' they've no doubt got a clause to hide behind.  Deliberately, they make it nigh on impossible to penetrate the system.

I had an ongoing altercation with the BBC many moons ago - end result zero.  I went right the way through the system from the tea-trolley up to the Director General who referred me to the Trust who sent me on my way back down the ladder, only ending back where I started - the tea-trolley.

gm
But at least you got a cup of tea - and a newspaper too by the looks of it!

The NHS complaints system is exactly the same. When I was complaining about the way my husband was declared inoperable by a Professor with a Knighthood, even though he wasn't inoperable as he ultimately got a successful life-saving operation after an 18-month fight with the NHS, I worked my way to the top of the complaints system only to be sent right back to the beginning.

And I didn't even get a cup of tea, let alone a newspaper!

Complaints systems only seem to exist providing you don't actually have a complaint. Just as 'No-quibble guarantees' exist providing you don't have a quibble.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 29.07.17 0:31

Get'emGonçalo wrote:
Verdi wrote:

Best wishes,

Catherine Thomas

---------

Best wishes - my bum! 

gm
But at least you got a cup of tea - and a newspaper too by the looks of it!

The NHS complaints system is exactly the same. When I was complaining about the way my husband was declared inoperable by a Professor with a Knighthood, even though he wasn't inoperable as he ultimately got a successful life-saving operation after an 18-month fight with the NHS, I worked my way to the top of the complaints system only to be sent right back to the beginning.

And I didn't even get a cup of tea, let alone a newspaper!

Complaints systems only seem to exist providing you don't actually have a complaint. Just as 'No-quibble guarantees' exist providing you don't have a quibble.
Yes, I clearly remember reading your chronicle of the horrendous fight you endured with the NHS to get the required treatment for your husband, you deserve a medal - if only a medal was worth something and not just an empty gesture attached to name only.

On a lighter note - round 2 of my BBC altercation, I tried reverse psychology by circumventing the lower echelons and going straight to the top.  This rapidly sent me back down the ladder to the tea-trolley and thus a repeat performance of climbing up only to be kicked back down.  I had to give up! 

By that time the tea was cold and the newspaper used more productively winkwink .

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 17.08.17 19:38

Appeal rejected and initial complaint about "kidnapping" article rejected:

Dear Mr ,

The Complaints Committee has considered your complaint, the email of 27 July 2017 from IPSO’s Executive notifying you of its view that your complaint did not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice, and your email of 28 July 2017 requesting a review of the Executive’s decision. The Committee agreed the following decision:

The Committee decided that it was not inaccurate for the articles to state that Goncalo Amaral had claimed that Madeline McCann’s parents had “killed” their daughter. In Mr Goncalo’s book, he presented the theory that Madeline may have been given sedatives by her parents, and this may have led to her death. Where Mr Amaral presented a theory that Madeline’s parents may have been responsible for her death, it was not inaccurate to state that he had claimed they had “killed” their daughter. Your complaint did not represent a possible breach of Clause 1. For this reason, and the reasons already given by the Executive, the Committee declined to re-open your complaint.

The Committee would like to thank you for giving it the opportunity to consider your concerns. 

Best wishes,

Lauren Sloan

------------
And another rejection letter:

Dear Mr ,

I write further to our earlier email regarding your complaint about an article headlined “HOPING AND PRAYING Madeleine McCann’s parents make emotional plea for return of girl, 5 who ‘vanished with her wanted dad after he skipped court’” published by thesun.co.uk on 30 July 2017.

On receipt of a complaint, IPSO’s Executive reviews it to ensure that it falls within our remit and raises a possible breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice. The Executive has now completed an assessment of your complaint under the terms of the Code. Having considered the points you have raised in full, we have concluded that your complaint does not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code.

We noted your concern that the article was inaccurate, in breach of Clause 1 (Accuracy), because it referred to “Kate and Gerry, whose daughter Maddie was kidnapped from a holiday resort more than 10 years ago”, because it had not been established that she had been kidnapped.  The article made clear that Madeleine McCann was missing, and that this was the McCanns’ reason for making an appeal for the return of Molly Owens. The disappearance of Madeline McCann is very well-known, and while we noted your comments on this case, we did not consider that, in the context of the article, it was significantly misleading for the newspaper to report that she had been kidnapped. Your complaint did not raise a possible breach of Clause 1.  

Best wishes,

Lauren Sloan

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 17.08.17 23:54

"We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider the points you have raised, and have shared this correspondence with the newspaper to make it aware of your concerns.

Best wishes,"

angry2

That goes beyond patronizing - it's tantamount to taking the wee wee.

There is always the small print, even if you read, it doesn't necessarily mean it's intended that you should understand - if you get my drift.  The proverbial get-out clause to cover all eventualities.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by tnb 18.08.17 22:03

IPSO, Independendt press suppression orgonisation.
tnb

Activity : 129

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top