The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

New Heights of insanity - Express - Page 24 Mm11

New Heights of insanity - Express - Page 24 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

New Heights of insanity - Express - Page 24 Mm11

New Heights of insanity - Express - Page 24 Regist10

New Heights of insanity - Express

Page 24 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Heights of insanity - Express - Page 24 Empty Re: New Heights of insanity - Express

Post by Guest 05.11.13 20:51

Tony Bennett wrote:
I have failed to see 'the total picture'.

I think you mean that you are wiser and more knowledgeable than me about these things.

Or maybe, just maybe, it is 'Associative Memory', as Professor Sockpuppet has just told us.

Or perhjaps we could refine this interesting concept still further:

'Total Picture Associative Memory".
Tony, I am at a complete loss with you. Your rants, sarcasm and aggression are not the way I thought to "know" you. In order not to escalate the case, I will withdraw from commenting on this thread.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New Heights of insanity - Express - Page 24 Empty Re: New Heights of insanity - Express

Post by Mirage 05.11.13 20:51

When reporting any incident or accident in my place of work it was routine for staff to write up a contemporaneous report. This practice was rigorously adhered to because immediate recall is known to yield more reliable results. Not only does the memory fade surprisingly quickly - within hours I believe - but the memory starts to be overlaid by other accounts or images.
Mirage

Activity : 2711

Back to top Go down

Post by Beanie 05.11.13 20:51

Gosh where has all this in fighting come from, it reminds me of 3As. Come on everyone this is not what we are about! We are here for Madeleine, aren't we?
Beanie

Activity : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 05.11.13 20:51

thetruthbeknown wrote: Our brains fill in missing details...That's what our brain does, it fills in missing 'blanks', we actually take in very little of minute detail...
Wait - you've not explained this.

Have I got this right?

We see something for, say, one or two seconds.

In the dark i.e. not clearly at all.

As you correctly say, "we actually take in very little of minute detail".

++++++++

You say that 'the brain fills in the missing blanks'.

I am not sure if you are a qualified neurologist, but even if you aren't, it doesn't matter.

Just please help me on this.

When (if you are right) our brains 'fill in the missing blanks', does the brain do so...

...with correct information...

...or incorrect information...

...or a jumble of both?

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.11.13 20:53

Thank you Candyfloss and Chatelaine.

Tony, you know how much I respect you but I feel that you are not helping the forum at the moment.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by justathought 05.11.13 20:53

Tony Bennett wrote:
Sockpuppet wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:Sorry, Tony, I don't agree.
As I've been writing earlier, it may be difficult if not not impossible, to describe a person briefly seen, especially when there's no reason to be interested or alarmed even.  E.g. sex, colour, height, maybe age, posture, hair, most visible parts of closing, etc. but that would be impossible to recognise from a photo. However, if you see someone walking, acting, behaving, that may trigger a memory, subconsciously in your mind.
FWIW
In this case, you could argue, Chatelaine, that seeing GMcC coming down the plane carrying a child triggered the memory of his seeing a man with a child.

But, surely, not of seeing Gerry McCann?
It triggered the memory of the man with the child, and the man he was looking at getting off the plane was Gerry McCann.  The man getting off the plane triggered the memory of the guy in PDL.  Not a man carrying a child in Blackpool.  Not a man carrying a child in Kuala Lumpur.  A man carrying a child in Praia da Luz.

It's called associative memory.
Gosh!

'Associative memory'.

Does that trump everything?

Any jury would be bound to be impressed with that.

"Members of the jury, some of you may think it somewhat improbable that Martin Smith could have been 60% to 80% certain that, back on 3 May - 4 months and 6 days earlier - the man he saw coming off the plane on 9 September, Dr Gerald McCann, was the very man he saw in May.

You may be thinking: but it was dark.

You may be thinking: he only saw him for one or two seconds.

You may be thinking: he didn't even see his face.

Put all of that to one side. 

You have heard the expert evidence in this court of Professor Sockpuppet.

He told you it was 'Associative Memory'.

I rest my case".
Mr Bennett
You and i know that nearly all the leads surrounding this case (at present) would not stand up in a trial. so to use the comparison is wrong.
as i see it the reason for your interchange with fellow posters. is a result of SY have not been transparent i.e. have they interviewed the smiths recently, whom is Tannerman etc. individuals are bound to speculate when not aware of all the facts.
justathought

Activity : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 05.11.13 20:55

candyfloss wrote:
Tony, I am at a loss to know what the problem is.   Can't people disagree with you without you being sarcastic in your replies?

Of course they can - but IMO some very ridiculous things are being said on this thread.

I shall continue to believe Mr Smith and his family...As I have said before, we still do not know what Mary Smith said in her statement...I still find it very hard to believe a whole family would lie to the police in such a serious matter.

I am probing and probing every aspect of the Smiths' statements.

Please forgive me.

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Issy 05.11.13 20:59

The whole thing is too confusing for words, jumping about from one suspect to the next, giving the Daily Star and the other red tops new pictures and new headlines every few days. It's like a sick joke IMO, which in the case of a missing child feels like a mockery. I remember the Sun's 'Gotcha!' front page when the Belgrano was sunk, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see a 'Gotcha!' heading about a Maddie suspect one of these days. The tabloids go from bad to worse. sad
Issy

Activity : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.11.13 21:00

We can dream though of one day seeing GOTCHA! over a picture of the McCanns.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by thetruthbeknown 05.11.13 21:02

Tony Bennett wrote:
thetruthbeknown wrote: Our brains fill in missing details...That's what our brain does, it fills in missing 'blanks', we actually take in very little of minute detail...
Wait - you've not explained this.

Have I got this right?

We see something for, say, one or two seconds.

In the dark i.e. not clearly at all.

As you correctly say, "we actually take in very little of minute detail".

++++++++

You say that 'the brain fills in the missing blanks'.

I am not sure if you are a qualified neurologist, but even if you aren't, it doesn't matter.

Just please help me on this.

When (if you are right) our brains 'fill in the missing blanks', does the brain do so...

...with correct information...

...or incorrect information...

...or a jumble of both?
im sure there will be better explainations around from those more qualified. I would simply put it as the 'blanks' would usually be filled with 'assumptions' or 'schemas' of how we would 'expect' things to be, or past experience.
thetruthbeknown

Activity : 282

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow 05.11.13 21:03

OT what happened to cw being shown in Ireland?
notlongnow

Activity : 541

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 05.11.13 21:04

justathought wrote:
Mr Bennett

[SNIPPED] ...as I see it the reason for your interchange with fellow posters is a result of SY hav[ing] not been transparent i.e. have they interviewed the Smiths recently, who is Tannerman etc. - individuals are bound to speculate when not aware of all the facts...
DCI Redwood, the BBC and all the mainstream media have told us that the Smiths' sighting is genuine, and that he and his family have produced two radically different e-fits of the same person - even though none of them saw his face (in the dark).

Smith said he was '60% to 80% sure' it was Gerry McCann; now he has changed his mind. 

In addition, the Sunday Times has told us that these e-fits are 5 years old and that the McCanns suppressed them. No statement has yet been put out by the McCanns or anyone on their behalf denying that claim.

If you look at this quite long thread, many are speculating e.g. on who Smithman might be.

My role has been to question all aspects of that claimed 'sighting'.

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Beanie 05.11.13 21:05

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:We can dream though of one day seeing GOTCHA! over a picture of the McCanns.
We can indeed.
Beanie

Activity : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.11.13 21:06

notlongnow wrote:OT what happened to cw being shown in Ireland?
Oh yes, that seems not to have hit the headlines anywhere does it. It was supposed to be shown in October wasn't it.....wonder if it was. I'm sure we would have heard something. Anyone know anything?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 05.11.13 21:07

As Candy Floss said, it's just going round and round in circles imo and sorry to say it, but I agree with Prof. Moriarty I think said, it is boring.

It seems as though nobody is going to give way, (that is not what the site is about anyway).   People can post their views and others can come back rightly so, but it's the same things being said over and over.

This thread is becoming like it was on 3As somebody posted and I agree.

I would also like to say to Tony, I know you know what you are doing, but please be careful about what you are sending in PMs to relatively new posters.  Always be wary.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 05.11.13 21:08

thetruthbeknown wrote:
I'm sure there will be better explanations around from those more qualified. I would simply put it as the 'blanks' would usually be filled with 'assumptions' or 'schemas' of how we would 'expect' things to be, or past experience.
Thank you very much.

I believe that that is the correct answer and one that a neurologist would also give.

What you are saying is that your brain remembers a few details - and then 'makes up' the rest.

If there ever was a genuine 'sighting' (which I doubt), no doubt Martin Smith's 'brain' made up the stuff about seeing Gerry McCann.

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by justathought 05.11.13 21:09

Tony, I am at a loss to know what the problem is.   Can't people disagree with you without you being sarcastic in your replies?

We are going round and round in circles, and you coming up with the same answer, and no real hard evidence so unless you can come up with something else, then I shall continue to believe Mr Smith and his family, as do many others here. People are entitled to their opinion and to voice that opinion.  Most here appreciate the work you do, but that doesn't mean they have to agree with everything you say.   As I have said before, we still do not know what Mary Smith said in her statement do we?    I still find it very hard to believe a whole family would lie to the police in such a serious matter.

Candyfloss
maybe I should have pm'ed this message to you, rather than writing on a public fourum. but say things as I find, and dont like to hide behind such means
yesterday, i posted a new thread. it was later on moverd to another forum site. not an issue at all. what it emphasised to me, is the huge amount of hard work and time you and other mods spend on the site, to make it is what it is.
i posted a few weeks back, that the site shouldn't seem "elitist". especially with many new members logging on in recent times. everyones views, opinions should be respected. there is no need to "be little" peop,e whom are showing a genuine interest in the case.
justathought

Back to top Go down

Post by justathought 05.11.13 21:13

Tony Bennett wrote:
justathought wrote:
Mr Bennett

[SNIPPED] ...as I see it the reason for your interchange with fellow posters is a result of SY hav[ing] not been transparent i.e. have they interviewed the Smiths recently, who is Tannerman etc. - individuals are bound to speculate when not aware of all the facts...
DCI Redwood, the BBC and all the mainstream media have told us that the Smiths' sighting is genuine, and that he and his family have produced two radically different e-fits of the same person - even though none of them saw his face (in the dark).

Smith said he was '60% to 80% sure' it was Gerry McCann; now he has changed his mind. 

In addition, the Sunday Times has told us that these e-fits are 5 years old and that the McCanns suppressed them. No statement has yet been put out by the McCanns or anyone on their behalf denying that claim.

If you look at this quite long thread, many are speculating e.g. on who Smithman might be.

My role has been to question all aspects of that claimed 'sighting'.
Mr Bennett
you seem to be in many ways agreeing with my point? as many of your questions might have alreadt been answered if SY had been more "forward" as to recent developments.
justathought

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon 05.11.13 21:16

Tony Bennett wrote:
thetruthbeknown wrote:
I'm sure there will be better explanations around from those more qualified. I would simply put it as the 'blanks' would usually be filled with 'assumptions' or 'schemas' of how we would 'expect' things to be, or past experience.
Thank you very much.

I believe that that is the correct answer and one that a neurologist would also give.

What you are saying is that your brain remembers a few details - and then 'makes up' the rest.

If there ever was a genuine 'sighting' (which I doubt), no doubt Martin Smith's 'brain' made up the stuff about seeing Gerry McCann.
We're actually going down the wrong track. A schema is not an assumption, and it is not something the brain constructs as a detail. A schema is a 'blueprint' for coping with the world. For example, in the UK we have a schema for washing the dishes that is quite unlike other countries methods of washing dishes.

This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.
whmon
whmon

Activity : 545

Back to top Go down

Post by sofa 05.11.13 21:18

I believe the Smith family recognise GM, I am quite sure that when they said 60 to 80% sure it was him it was difficult for them or anyone to say 100% as it is an important case as well as publicised in big way. If I was the Smith, I would be scared of repercussion from the public, the police and mainly the couple.
sofa

Activity : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 05.11.13 21:19

SixMillionQuid wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:
SixMillionQuid wrote:Can some enlighten me about this Kellys Bar receipt for 21:55pm?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.htm

There's an entry 21:50 then it jumps to 22:16
Thank you for raising this point.

I have always understood that the story was that the Smiths paid their 'bar billl' at 9.55pm, then walked out of Kelly's Bar on their way back to the Estrela da Luz complex, seeing Smithman at about 10.00pm.

I have always taken it on trust that there existed a receipt for drinks, ordered by the Smiths, at 9.55pm. I assumed that for some reason the Smiths had kept the receipt themselves.

Here we have the till receipts from 8pm to midnight.

If indeed there are no receipts between 9.50pm and 10.16pm, then are we to assume that the Smiths paid their bar bill at 9.50pm? I can't read the receipts very easily.

I assume then that (if it is indeed theirs) the 9.50pm receipt would be for around 9 (or more) drinks?

The whole timing of the Smiths' 'sighting' has been fixed around this 9.55pm receipt, so one way or another, these till receipts must prove which one is theirs.
I am not sure if anyone has carried this point on any further.

I have now checked the till receipts mentioned by SixMillionQuid.

There are 20 receipts, total value during the four hours: 148.50 euros

This is a full record of them, from 8.00pm on 3 May 2007 to 12.02am:

8.01  18.25 euros

8.15  3.15 euros

8.20 24.50 euros

8.52 1.50 euros

9.39 13.75 euros

9.46 8.00 euros

9.49 8.00 euros

9.50 5.00 euros

10.16 8.00 euros

10.24 4.00 euros

10.28 3.00 euros

10.29 1.25 euros

10.31 5.75 euros

10.47 1.00 euros

10.53 16.50 euros

11.09 5.75 euros

11.30 5.75 euros

11.49 10.00 euros

11.50 2.75 euros

12.02 2.50 euros

The four in bold are the only four that fit the Smiths' account of moving from the Dolphin restaurant at 'between 9.00pm and 9.30pm to Kelly's Bar' and leaving 'around or shortly before 10.00pm'.

I cannot find any information about which (if any of them) is said to be the Smiths' bill.

All four IMO are small bills for a family of 9. The Smiths do not say what they ordered.

8 euros might buy 3 or 4 drinks.

Did they pay when the drinks were ordered? - probably.

Or when they left? - unlikely.

So, did they order 13.50 euros worth of drinks at 9.39pm - and then leave about quarter of an hour later? We do not know.
That's some research!!

The reason why I asked about the 9:55 receipt is that if some is going to use it proof it will be date/time stamped the time the transaction took place. If hey held onto this receipt then there should be a corresponding record from the cash register. But the PJ obtained the cash registers months later and copied the records from the registers then the 9:55 entry should show up.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.htm

But it doesn't. So I'm wondering what the receipt is that they are referring to.
Sorry that I haven't caught up on this thread and am short of time at the moment. I haven't therefore seen any further discussion on this.

But am jumping in because this could be very important.

I've been looking at these receipts myself.

I don't think it likely that the family paid individually. Although not impossible, I'd plump for them paying together.
If bars in Portugal work the same as most other countries, except the UK, it is normal to pay just before leaving.

The receipts that look most likely to be the Smiths' are (based on the prices) imo:

21:39 (Eu 13.75  Bar) <--- that's the one closest to the given time.

But, had the Smiths' made a mistake?  (Intentionally or otherwise?) Had they gone for a drink or two BEFORE  heading to the restaurant? If so, these are possibilities:

20:26 (Eu 24.50  Bar)         
20:01 (Eu 18.25 Bar)

Or just popped in for cigarettes?
20:15  (Eu 3.15 cigarettes)  

Or were their times an hour too early? If so, these:

22:47 (Eu 11.00  Bar)
22:53 (Eu 16.50  Bar) 

Perhaps, just perhaps, the Smiths' sighting timing is not right. Maybe they were leaned on. Maybe not.
But it does seem to me that their sighting was at least a few minutes out.

Please correct me if this has been discussed in more detail and I've missed it all.

(Admin: any chance of seperating this out to a new/other thread as little nuggets like this get lost in these fast moving threads? smilie  )
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by thetruthbeknown 05.11.13 21:20

Tony Bennett wrote:Thank you very much.

There are variations though..of course if you witness something 'out of the ordinary' you would be more likely to take in more detail. A man carrying a child, even if in a blanket/pjs in a holiday resort, I doubt would be 'out of the ordinary' enough to start alarm bells ringing for our brain to 'take note'  I wouldnt have thought.
thetruthbeknown

Activity : 282

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 05.11.13 21:22

Or could the till time be an hour out ?  Do the clocks change in Portugal and the till was not re-set ?
sami

Activity : 1019

Back to top Go down

Post by justathought 05.11.13 21:24

Lance De Boils wrote:Sorry that I haven't caught up on this thread and am short of time at the moment. I haven't therefore seen any further discussion on this.

But am jumping in because this could be very important.

I've been looking at these receipts myself.

I don't think it likely that the family paid individually. Although not impossible, I'd plump for them paying together.
If bars in Portugal work the same as most other countries, except the UK, it is normal to pay just before leaving.

The receipts that look most likely to be the Smiths' are (based on the prices) imo:

21:39 (Eu 13.75  Bar) <--- that's the one closest to the given time.

But, had the Smiths' made a mistake?  (Intentionally or otherwise?) Had they gone for a drink or two BEFORE  heading to the restaurant? If so, these are possibilities:

20:26 (Eu 24.50  Bar)         
20:01 (Eu 18.25 Bar)

Or just popped in for cigarettes?
20:15  (Eu 3.15 cigarettes)  

Or were their times an hour too early? If so, these:

22:47 (Eu 11.00  Bar)
22:53 (Eu 16.50  Bar) 

Perhaps, just perhaps, the Smiths' sighting timing is not right. Maybe they were leaned on. Maybe not.
But it does seem to me that their sighting was at least a few minutes out.

Please correct me if this has been discussed in more detail and I've missed it all.

(Admin: any chance of seperating this out to a new/other thread as little nuggets like this get lost in these fast moving threads? smilie  )
Mr De Boils
We know for certain the till was set at the correct time. did the PJ check?
ps willing to test your theory as drinks consumed if you paypal me funds
justathought

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.11.13 21:26

Lance, there are only one or two posts really on the till receipt, and it would take forever to try and split them from such a long thread. All the posts come up in one long line on a page and you have to read each one and split them out. This thread is now far too long to be able to do that, so perhaps you could start a new thread on it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top