The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN - Page 3 Mm11

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN - Page 3 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN - Page 3 Mm11

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN - Page 3 Regist10

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN - Page 3 Empty Re: McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN

Post by Jill Havern 09.02.18 11:36

Email from Tony Bennett this morning which he gave me permission to reproduce:

I think that, not for the first time, Textusa has misunderstood the situation.

I can claim some knowledge here as I have previously brought a case in the European Court of Human Rights.

You can look it up, it was Hyatt v United Kingdom (1987) and concerned a mother whose child was adopted without her consent.

There are basically FOUR stages in a case reaching the European Court of Human Rights,

First of all, you apply to the EUROPEAN COMMISSION on Human Rights, NOT the Court.

Stage 1 is: is the case ADMISSIBLE? That means, does it meet the basic criteria e.g. does it conform with the time limits, is the matter within the competence of the European Court etc.   

If that is successful, the COMMISSION then passes to

Stage 2, which is: does the case have MERIT. In British legal terms, this is akin to asking: is there at least an arguable case?

If the answer to Stage 2 is YES, ONLY THEN does the matter become referred to the COURT, and is no longer dealt with by the COMMISSION.

So Textusa was rather wasting his time in searching the COURT records, because no doubt the McCanns' application HAS been made, but has not yet passed the 'ADMISSIBILITY' and 'MERIT' stages. In other words, it has not yet reached the European COURT.

In the Hyatt case, I took the case myself successfully past the 'Admissibility' and 'Merit' stages. Once it got past that, I had to put the case in the hands of lawyers (I was not one at the time).

The outcome was that Mrs Hyatt was awarded £12,000 compensation for a serious breach of her rights under Article 6(1).

I would like to emphasise that the European Court has NO POWER WHATSOEVER to overturn a judgment of a national court. The Supreme Court verdict in Portugal in favour of Goncalo Amaral is SAFE.

All the European Court can do is to award compensation if they consider that any individual has suffered a breach of their rights under the European Convention on Human Rights. The compensation must then be paid by the national government to the person whose rights have been breached.

This by the way means that there is no legal basis whatsoever for the McCanns to deny paying the costs against them that were awarded to Goncalo Amaral. THE EUROPEAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS (if the Commission allows this case to go forward to the Court) has no power to change that order of the Portuguese Supreme Court.

By the way, the Hyatt case was eventually joined by four other natural parents whose cases were considered together by the European Court. The Court ruled that all five had had their human rights breached. As a result, very significant and far-reaching changes were made to the Children Act, in order to prevent such human rights violations happening again. You can read the case on the internet.

Tony Bennett

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40913

Back to top Go down

McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN - Page 3 Empty Re: McCann appeal to European court of Human rights - THE SUN

Post by quaestorr 09.02.18 11:48

Thanks, Tony, that's very informative and clarifies the situation about payment of costs awarded to Sr. Amaral. I note from another thread that the fund accounts show money set aside to pay the Mccanns' Portuguese lawyer; do they show any sum for paying the costs? If not, how long do the Mccanns get before proceedings are taken against them to collect??? Perhaps from your legal experience you have some idea how it goes when people fail to pay awards made by a court.
quaestorr

Activity : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse 09.02.18 11:51

Thank you for the clarity on the ECHR, can't see what the breaches are for the McCanns but do wonder what rights were breached for GA? 

Well done to Tony for the successes and changes resulting from the Hyatt case (may read this later)

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html
MayMuse

Activity : 3472

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 09.02.18 11:53

If you find it, MayMuse, can you post a link here please? I've just had a quick look on google and couldn't see it and I don't want to interrupt Tony again today as I know he's very busy on our upcoming project.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse 09.02.18 12:10

Yes of course, I cannot find it at the moment ...there are other family law freeing orders etc (which are interesting) but nothing in the name of Hyatt,would it be archived I wonder?

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html
MayMuse

Activity : 3472

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 09.02.18 12:25

MayMuse wrote:Yes of course, I cannot find it at the moment ...there are other family law freeing orders etc (which are interesting) but nothing in the name of Hyatt,would it be archived I wonder?
I've just dropped him a quick email...

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 09.02.18 12:57

Get'emGonçalo wrote:If you find it, MayMuse, can you post a link here please? I've just had a quick look on google and couldn't see it and I don't want to interrupt Tony again today as I know he's very busy on our upcoming project.

The full European Court of Human Rights decision can be read here:

http://www.bailii.org/eu/cases/ECHR/1987/14.html

'H', the applicant, was LINDA HYATT.

I brought the case in 1981, and handed it over to the lawyers in 1983 or 1984 when the European Commission on Human Rights decided that the case met the 'Merits' test, and referred the case to the Court.

Six years from application to final judgment is quite typical in the European Court of Human Rights.

So we might be waiting some time for a judgment in the case of Gerald McCann and Kate McCann vs. Portugal (thank you GEG for the correction).

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24767

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 09.02.18 14:09

United Kingdom? Don't you mean Portugal?

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by sar 09.02.18 14:10

Well Done Tony, thanks for bringing such clarity.
sar

Activity : 1680

Back to top Go down

Post by sar 09.02.18 14:29

nice work stalling device if you can get it
sar

Activity : 1680

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 09.02.18 23:36

There are no fewer than 39 references to the European Court of Human Rights contained in the Portuguese Supreme Court of Justice report. It's very lengthy and without a thorough knowledge of the law, in particular Portuguese law, is incomprehensible. This excerpt however, is easily understood and refers directly to the case of Madeleine McCann..

The ECHR has stressed that issues of public interest should be debated and that opinions expressed on such issues, offensive to the honour of public figures, often arising encrusted in violent, hard and exaggerated language, should be protected by freedom of expression.

In the present case, what is verified is that the respondent conveyed his opinion, in the terms exposed above, taking into account, according to his understanding, the outcome of the elements of evidence and the clues gathered in the scope of the criminal investigation opened by the disappearance of Madeleine McCann on 3/5/07.

Thus, the enhancing judgment and the logical-deductive reasoning he develops throughout the book leads the reader to the conclusion that the child - whose custody and safety, along with that of her siblings Sean McCann and Amelie McCann, were neglected by her parents, here appellants, though neither reckless nor grossly, as it is said in the filing order issued by the prosecutor of the Republic on 21/7/08 - died accidentally inside the apartment where she was, after which occurred the simulation of her abduction and the concealment of her corpse.

While he's reasoning, the respondent questions the grounds or the foundations on which the allegation that Madeleine had been abducted could be sustained.

Those conclusions were subsequently reproduced by the respondent in the documentary and interview mentioned above, where he sought to discredit the affidavit of the appellant Kate McCann.

There is no remaining doubt that the respondent having been up to 2/10/07, the Judicial Police Inspector responsible for coordinating the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann (n°12 of the proven facts), he could not fail to know, in detail, ..

… the clues and means of proof hitherto collected in it, and the inquiries that had hitherto been carried out.

That is why it is not surprising that the facts related to that investigation that the respondent refers to in the book, in the interview and in the documentary, are mostly facts that occurred and were documented in this investigation (n° 8 of the proven facts).

It should be noted that the understanding defended by the respondent was, also, in almost coincident terms, shared by chief inspector Tavares de Almeida, who wrote the report addressed to the Public Ministry and dated 10/9/7 (n° 9 of the proven facts).

It has still to be reckoned that the Public Ministry by fomenting by the JIC the obtention of (telecommunications) traffic data., alluded to their necessity for the investigation of the crimes of kidnapping, homicide, exposure or abandonment and concealment of a corpse. The sought to be obtained data were furthermore connected to the appellants and included not only the date of the facts but also the period they were staying in Portugal (n°10 of the proven facts).

These data were collected by order of the JIC (n° 11 of the proven fact).

Which means that the thesis profiled by the respondent, at a certain time, deserved being welcomed by the entity constitutionally in charge of carrying out the penal action (n° 11 of the proven facts).

For that matter, the appellants were constituted "arguidos" in the criminal investigation (n° 80 of the proven facts).

This implies that emerged supported suspicion that they had committed crimes or crimes (cf. art. 58° and 59° of the CPP ).

It is true that the criminal investigation was eventually closed, in particular because none of the clues which led to the constitution of the appellants as arguidos was subsequently confirmed or consolidated (n°15 of the proven facts).

However, even in the filing dispatch serious reservations are raised as to the likelihood of the allegation that Madeleine had been abducted, in view of the doubts raised by the Jane Tanner/Kate McCann version.

The investigation intended to see clarified those doubts by the reconstitution of the events mentioned in the closing dispatch, an initiative however that was made unfeasible by the witnesses' failure to appear after being summoned to.

In the said order, it was concluded also that the appellants had neglected, although not recklessly or grossly, the duty of custody of their children, and still that, although it had not been possible to determine if the child was alive or not, it seemed more likely she was dead.

Actually a spokesman for the appellants said on 17/10/07 that they were realistic enough to admit that their daughter was probably dead (n° 75 of the proven facts).

From another angle, it has to be observed that, in the introductory note to the book at stake, the respondent affirms that the book's objective is to restore his good name which, in his understanding, was tarnished in the public sphere, to contribute to the discovery of the material truth and to the achievement of justice (n°23 of the proven facts)

It is clear, however, that the proven facts reveal that the respondent intended, on the one hand, to put in crisis the decision to remove him from the investigation, getting even to the point to suggest there had been a political management of the investigation and, on the other hand, to safeguard the rigour of the work of all the police professionals involved in the investigation until the moment he ceased to coordinate them.

Of all those circumstances does not result, in our view, that underlying the book, the documentary and the interview, exists an defamatory intention against the appellants, i.e an animus injuriandi, but rather an animus informandi and an animus defendendi.(23)

The opinion expressed by the respondent is sufficiently detailed in an intelligible and logical assessment of the facts and elements of evidence gathered in the investigation. Therefore the existence of a mere attack ad hominem to the persons of the appellants is not to be prefigured.

In addition, the disappearance of Madeleine and the subsequent investigation have become subjects of general interest and discussion at national and even international level, which, incidentally, was afforded by the conduct of the appellants themselves (n°s 65 to 71 and 76 to 79 of the proven facts).

Thus, everything points to balancing the interests at stake and following a balancing methodology adapted to the specificity of the case, in the sense of freedom of expression, which in this case requires greater protection, taking into account, also, the European legal context where we are inserted and the influence of the European jurisprudential paradigm of human rights.

[Acknowledgement and thanks to Anne Guedes and pamalam]

As I've said before, if (and that's a very big if), the McCanns lawyer has advised them to proceed with an application to be heard by the ECHR, I should be extremely surprised if it even gets past the doorman.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 42327

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 10.02.18 11:56

PeterMac: "No mention of court costs in Portugal !
Is this because the "Fund" will not pay for legal expenses - (McVey) but if so, why has the 51k been set aside?"

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 10.02.18 12:22

The Find Madeleine (Leave No Stone Unturned) juggle Company Limited

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 10.02.18 12:24

McCann v. Amaral:  Supreme Court Verdict 31st January 2017

Presented before the court of justice in Lisbon..

Fraud or breach of trust ?

During a relaxation moment in one of these meetings, I would have committed a gaffe or, who knows, been inconvenient and undiplomatic. Concerned with the possibility that the McCann couple might be, in one way or another, involved in the disappearance of their daughter, and as I reckoned the types of crimes that could be imputed to them, a fact came to my mind. Were the responsibility of McCann actually confirmed, then the crime of fraud or breach of trust concerning the fund created to search for Madeleine, a fund that held more than 2 million pounds, would follow. The debate was open and, in fact, the assumptions pointed to the aggravated fraud or breach of trust crimes, but it did not belong to Portugal to investigate and judge such a crime. It belonged to the UK, as the fund was registered there.

Our English colleagues became then aware of a harsh reality: the strong possibility of a crime to be investigated in their country, having the McCanns as possible suspects, a prospect that did not seem to please them. I noticed the sudden pallor that invaded their faces.

Gonçalo Amaral

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 10.02.18 14:20

GeG:

‘PeterMac: "No mention of court costs in Portugal ! 
Is this because the "Fund" will not pay for legal expenses - (McVey) but if so, why has the 51k been set aside?"

It would be interesting to hear from an accountant specializing in ‘not a charity, but a limited company’ accounting, if such a person exists.

All of the ‘restricted funds’ info. I can pull up on line seems to fall into charities and charity trustees practices and responsibilities and their hands are tied where monies are donated for a specific cause, which is the case here.

They seem to be using the fund and the restricted/unrestricted designations as if it were a charity, which ring-fences the restricted assets (the bulk of the money) to the search and would not therefore be available for court costs, whereas the £51k seemingly set aside for Duarte comes from the unrestricted side were they can do pretty much as they like.

Quite how legally binding charity law and practices are to ‘not a charity, but a limited company’ accounts remains to be seen, but to a lay person, acting equitably, these funds should only be used in the search and once that finishes should be spent on ‘similar cases arising in th UK, Portugal or elsewhere’ as stated.

It is to be noted however that the publicly subscribed element of the News of the World’s reward fund was just chucked at the McCanns, contrary to the designated usages stated in the appeal wording and of course nothing ever came of it.

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t11588-news-of-the-world-reward-money?highlight=news+of+the+world
Doug D

Activity : 5283

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 10.02.18 15:48

Doug D wrote:It would be interesting to hear from an accountant specializing in ‘not a charity, but a limited company’ accounting, if such a person exists.

To keep thread on topic, some information in reply to your comment here..

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t14911-madeleine-mccanns-parents-have-750k-in-the-find-maddie-campaign-coffers-as-hunt-faces-being-shelved#top

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top