The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

murat - Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case? - Page 1 Mm11

murat - Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case? - Page 1 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

murat - Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case? - Page 1 Mm11

murat - Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case? - Page 1 Regist10

Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

murat - Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case? - Page 1 Empty Re: Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case?

Post by Lance De Boils 26.08.14 12:54

sharonl wrote:
aquila wrote:They're all valid questions sharonl but number 3 interests me beyond the others.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Service Information document dated 11 May 2007 from Inspector Pedro Varanda relating to an informal conversation with Robert Murat

As you will know, Sir, on this day at 11h30, there appeared before the undersigned and (lady) Inspector Patricia Duarte, a British citizen called Diane Webster, holder of UK passport XXXXXXX, in order to hear her witness statement.

In the course of an informal approach that preceeded that work, it was determined that she was not conversant in Portuguese, written or spoken, and the service of an English-speaking interpreter was therefore called for.

In this function appeared a British citizen, Robert J.Q.E. Murat (duly identified in the files from previous work), official resident of Casa Liliana, Rua Ramalhete, Praia da Luz, Lagos.

The work   [the DW interview] being concluded, and during an informal conversation that the undersigned began with that interpreter (as would be characteristic in this type of situation), Robert Murat displayed an unusual curiosity about the investigation that was developing around the disappearance of the minor Madeleine McCann that occurred on 3 May 2007.

As an example, it will be proper to point out that he has insistently and repeatedly questioned me about the identity of possible suspects, about the strategy outlined by the lead coordinator of the investigation and the work that might possibly have been considered for the coming days.

Before  [faced with] such an attitude, that was so unusual and absolutely inappropriate that I immediately became highly suspicious, I always countered   [ducked the questions], insistently requesting that person to be aware of the contractual duties pertaining to the role which he has assumed in this investigation, pointing out that it was presently the inquiry phase, and, naturally, covered by judicial secrecy.

Does that mean previous work on the McCann case, or another?

================
From the same source as quoted above, I'm pointing out, below, more about RM's 'nosiness':

... Robert Murat displayed an unusual curiosity about the investigation ...

... he has insistently and repeatedly questioned me about the identity of possible suspects, about the strategy outlined by the lead coordinator of the investigation and the work that might possibly have been considered for the coming days.

... an attitude, that was so unusual and absolutely inappropriate that I immediately became highly suspicious....

...  I became aware that Robert Murat would covertly attempt to catch glimpses of various procedural pieces
[items being prepared for the case file] that make up the present inquiry...

...the suspicious attitude shown by Robert Murat, I venture still to state that, beyond having manifested an enormous knowledge about the dynamics inherent in the functioning of the "Ocean Club Garden" ... and of the routines followed by the McCann family and their companions during their respective stays in in Praia da Luz, he has tried persistently to influence the conduct of the present investigation, suggesting various analyses

I wonder... who was he really working on behalf of, and what was his brief?
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

murat - Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case? - Page 1 Empty Re: Under what circumstances did Robert Murat secure the job of interpreter in the McCann case?

Post by sharonl 26.08.14 15:40

Lance De Boils wrote:
sharonl wrote:
aquila wrote:They're all valid questions sharonl but number 3 interests me beyond the others.

Service Information document dated 11 May 2007 from Inspector Pedro Varanda relating to an informal conversation with Robert Murat

As you will know, Sir, on this day at 11h30, there appeared before the undersigned and (lady) Inspector Patricia Duarte, a British citizen called Diane Webster, holder of UK passport XXXXXXX, in order to hear her witness statement.

In the course of an informal approach that preceeded that work, it was determined that she was not conversant in Portuguese, written or spoken, and the service of an English-speaking interpreter was therefore called for.

In this function appeared a British citizen, Robert J.Q.E. Murat (duly identified in the files from previous work), official resident of Casa Liliana, Rua Ramalhete, Praia da Luz, Lagos.

The work   [the DW interview] being concluded, and during an informal conversation that the undersigned began with that interpreter (as would be characteristic in this type of situation), Robert Murat displayed an unusual curiosity about the investigation that was developing around the disappearance of the minor Madeleine McCann that occurred on 3 May 2007.

As an example, it will be proper to point out that he has insistently and repeatedly questioned me about the identity of possible suspects, about the strategy outlined by the lead coordinator of the investigation and the work that might possibly have been considered for the coming days.

Before  [faced with] such an attitude, that was so unusual and absolutely inappropriate that I immediately became highly suspicious, I always countered   [ducked the questions], insistently requesting that person to be aware of the contractual duties pertaining to the role which he has assumed in this investigation, pointing out that it was presently the inquiry phase, and, naturally, covered by judicial secrecy.

================
From the same source as quoted above, I'm pointing out, below, more about RM's 'nosiness':

... he has insistently and repeatedly questioned me about the identity of possible suspects, about the strategy outlined by the lead coordinator of the investigation and the work that might possibly have been considered for the coming days.

... an attitude, that was so unusual and absolutely inappropriate that I immediately became highly suspicious....

...  I became aware that Robert Murat would covertly attempt to catch glimpses of various procedural pieces

...the suspicious attitude shown by Robert Murat, I venture still to state that, beyond having manifested an enormous knowledge about the dynamics inherent in the functioning of the "Ocean Club Garden" ... and of the routines followed by the McCann family and their companions during their respective stays in in Praia da Luz, he has tried persistently to influence the conduct of the present investigation, suggesting various analyses

And meanwhile, his 71 year old mother has set up a stall next to the green camper van, where she is encouraging witnesses who don't want to go the police, to pass information about Madeleine onto her.

Extracted from: 986 to 992 External diligence in Lagos regarding Robert Murat 2007.05.12

At 13h05 the target goes to a roadside bench sited in Rua 1 de Maio, Luz. In this place he speaks with an elderly woman who was there in order to gather information about the disappearance of the child. This bench, it was clearly said in the media, is being attended by a lady who is in Portugal for several years, and who was there to receive information about Madeleine from people who had some reluctance to communicate it to the authorities. This woman is the mother of the observed person and identifies herself as JA Murat.
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11199

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicks 26.08.14 16:41

This question has probably been resolved, apologies if so.

Does anyone know the confirmed name of the bald playground man?

He was seen before Madeleine's disappearance, oddly watching her play, and seen after with Murat.

I have read, several times, that he is possibly in the PJ. Also there are rumours he may have travelled back to PDL with Murat on May 1st.

Activity : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer 26.08.14 16:52

petunia wrote:and the husband of Fiona wearing clear pants, beige she thinks.

Gosh i hadn't read her statement before  Woofer, i alway's thought i had read it that it  was Gerry wearing beige pants? I also ponder why Robert's mum Jenny set up a camper van asking people who, maybe didn't want to go to the police to pass information on to her.Was it her idea or Roberts i wonder? also what became of the book she was writing. 

What I find interesting is that Silvia Batista confirms that RM was there on the night of the 3rd.  Although she had known Mr. and Mrs Murat for many years she did not know they had a son.  It was only the next day that someone else identified him to her as the Murat`s son and this was the same man she had seen the night before.
Woofer
Woofer

Activity : 3508

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 26.08.14 17:12

Going slightly off topic here, but were we aware that Murat was a Jehova witness?

Ian CI: 139..., phone in the Mr Ian Cxxxxx's house ...in Exeter, "ansião" of the congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Exeter with whom he maintains a close relationship because he had been his Bible teacher in Exeter;

1947 to 1956 Interrogation of arguido Robert Murat 2007.07.10
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 26.08.14 17:17

sharonl wrote:Going slightly off topic here, but were we aware that Murat was a Jehova witness?

Ian CI: 139..., phone in the Mr Ian Cxxxxx's house ...in Exeter, "ansião" of the congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Exeter with whom he maintains a close relationship because he had been his Bible teacher in Exeter;

1947 to 1956 Interrogation of arguido    Robert Murat 2007.07.10

I can remember reading that R Murat wasn't a Jehovah's Witness, but he "attended Jehovah's Witness classes". I will look to see if I can find the article.
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 26.08.14 17:23

sallypelt wrote:
sharonl wrote:Going slightly off topic here, but were we aware that Murat was a Jehova witness?

I can remember reading that R Murat wasn't a Jehovah's Witness, but he "attended Jehovah's Witness classes". I will look to see if I can find the article.

Here it is:

He has since formed a relationship with a thirty-something German property saleswoman, Michaela Walczuch, who lives with her husband in nearby Lagos.

They have been described as lovers, but Murat denies this. "She's my partner, and we are very, very, very close - but she's not my girlfriend because she can't be. She's a Jehovah's Witness and she's still married. I'm not a Witness, but I attend study classes."

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then he goes on to marry her.

sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 26.08.14 17:31

Woofer wrote:
petunia wrote:and the husband of Fiona wearing clear pants, beige she thinks.

Gosh i hadn't read her statement before  Woofer, i alway's thought i had read it that it  was Gerry wearing beige pants? I also ponder why Robert's mum Jenny set up a camper van asking people who, maybe didn't want to go to the police to pass information on to her.Was it her idea or Roberts i wonder? also what became of the book she was writing. 

What I find interesting is that Silvia Batista confirms that RM was there on the night of the 3rd.  Although she had known Mr. and Mrs Murat for many years she did not know they had a son.  It was only the next day that someone else identified him to her as the Murat`s son and this was the same man she had seen the night before.

Is this the link that your looking for?

SECOND PAGE BATISTA
She's here as a witness. She is responsible for maintenance in the Ocean Club Resort located in Praia da Luz - Lagos. Because of her profession she knows many people of the English community, who live in Praia da Luz.
She knows the Murat (sic !) family, who has been there for about 30 years. In particular Mr. Murat and his wife Jenny. Mr. Murat was linked to building business and development of tourism enterprises, in Salema in her opinion. Mr. Murat died some years ago.
The Murat live in a house named "casa Liliana", near the Ocean Club.
Asked, she said not to remember whether the Murats have any child.
Asked, she said that on the night when Madeleine McCain (sic...) disappeared (03-05-2007), she was called by her boss, at about at 22:30. As she lives in Lagos she arrived shortly after at the resort. Close to the apartment A-5 of the OC there were already about 60 people to look for the girl.
She remembers, although she is not absolutely certain, given the time already elapsed, that an individual of about 1,70m, short light brown hair, with thin framed and light brown glasses, wanted from the start to help finding the child Madeleine McCann.
She doesn't remember at what time she saw him.
She doesn't remember how he was dressed up.
She doesn't remember who was with him, whether he came walking or in some vehicle. That same individual, she was told later, is the son of Morat, his first name is ROBERT.
Robert speaks fluently English and Portuguese. He helped the GNR of Lagos and later the PJ, translating the testimony of some British persons.
She admits as possible that Paul and June of the bar "Duke of Holland" and Mr. Byron of the firm JNB (management of properties in PDL) should be able to confirm if Robert Murat was there when Madeleine disappeared, and eventually other details.
She states that she spoke for the first time with Robert on Saturday (05-05-2007) or Sunday (06-05-2007) or may be on Monday (07-05-2007), during the breaks between the interviews in which he participated as a translator.
She describes him as a very sympathetic and direct guy. RM was very communicative and extrovert during the conversations they had together. He didn't mention any personal subject.
She ratified and will sign...............................
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut 26.08.14 17:49

Hicks wrote:This question has probably been resolved, apologies if so.

He was seen before Madeleine's disappearance, oddly watching her play, and seen after with Murat.

I have read, several times, that he is possibly in the PJ. Also there are rumours he may have travelled back to PDL with Murat on May 1st.

That would be Raj Balu Hicks. A consultant/director for Cooper Tuff, a immigration firm. http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/RAJ_BALU.htm
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Activity : 754

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 26.08.14 19:57

Lance De Boils wrote:
sharonl wrote:

================

Indeed LDB.

Did the PJ engage his services at this time or any other time previously?

Was he paid for this work? (iirc he was paid by Norfolk Police for translation work)

Did the PJ have official translators on their books that could have been engaged? Bit of a silly question but one that needs to be asked imo. If so, were they approached/considered? This can hardly be the only case in Portugal that needed a Portuguese/English translator can it!

When translating did he sign a contract of terms and conditions for that service with the PJ?

Was he presented by the PJ as an official translator and if not how did he present himself to the McCanns and their lawyer as a translator?

It all boils down to who engaged the translation services of Robert Murat? I for one can't accept that he just rocked up and was allowed to translate sensitive interviews on the grounds he was a local, spoke both languages and offered to be helpful.

As with all things in this case one question creates a hundred.

Just my opinion.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13361

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicks 26.08.14 21:13

TheTruthWillOut wrote:
Hicks wrote:This question has probably been resolved, apologies if so.

That would be Raj Balu Hicks. A consultant/director for Cooper Tuff, a immigration firm. http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/RAJ_BALU.htm
Thanks. He did get about didn't he!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut 26.08.14 21:43

No problem Hicks. Just glad to actually remember something for a change! banana
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Activity : 754

Back to top Go down

Post by LombardySkeptik 26.08.14 21:45

In my view RM was not actively involved in any of this - though perhaps he is not an entirely innocent law abiding chap (hence his subsequent contradictory statements and behaviour) 

Has anyone considered that RM was just himself suspicious about the McCanns from the very beginning and just rather clumsily got himself too involved - and thereafter attracting the interest of Team McCann/MSM for their own obvious reasons

Activity : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by petunia 26.08.14 21:51

Hicks.Iv'e read his statement and reread his statement, and reread his statement,and have come to the conclusion he was so pissed he couldn't remember if he left the bar with Neil or not Imo and my opinion only his statement is like a sieve,full of holes.
petunia

Activity : 607

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicks 26.08.14 22:07

petunia wrote:Hicks.Iv'e read his statement and reread his statement, and reread his statement,and have come to the conclusion he was so pissed he couldn't remember if he left the bar with Neil or not Imo and my opinion only his statement is like a sieve,full of holes.
I have done the same petunia. And came to much the same conclusion. confused

This is worth a read. 

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rooster 27.08.14 12:33

I think you could well be right Skeptik.  Some people seek attention none more so than the McCanns.  Maybe that was Murat's big mistake.

The Rooster

Activity : 524

Back to top Go down

Post by j.rob 27.08.14 13:37

sallypelt wrote:
sallypelt wrote:

Here it is:

He has since formed a relationship with a thirty-something German property saleswoman, Michaela Walczuch, who lives with her husband in nearby Lagos.

They have been described as lovers, but Murat denies this. "She's my partner, and we are very, very, very close - but she's not my girlfriend because she can't be. She's a Jehovah's Witness and she's still married. I'm not a Witness, but I attend study classes."

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then he goes on to marry her.

What planet is David Jones on?

What a heap of garbage. Are these journalists really thick? They just write total rubbish. Why is Murat's remark 'inappropriate'? 

Still, the fact that David Jones thinks that Max Clifford might be able to salvage his reputation (or not!) shows how distorted his thinking is.

The last line is positively vomit-inducing. Why, oh why did the Mcs get canonized? It's just extraordinary.

IMO

Later, when protesting his innocence, Murat made another wholly inappropriate remark.

"It might sound harsh, but if anyone has broken the law, then the McCanns have," he said, frowning behind the thick-lensed glasses he has worn since a motorcycle accident cost him the sight of an eye.

"Portuguese law says that you can't leave young children unattended. They say they were eating in the complex (the Ocean Club, where the family were holidaying). But actually the apartment is outside, across an alley. So, I'm sorry, but they broke the law.

"I would never leave my daughter (Sofia, who lives with his estranged wife, in Norfolk). I won't let her out of my sight because she gets up at night and walks off.
"That said, I wouldn't criticise them because children are different, and only they know how their kids behave."
Listening to Murat talk in this manner, one wonders whether even the PR guru Max Clifford - who has offered his services to him, if and when he is cleared - can salvage his reputation.

But whatever we make of Murat, one thing is plain: he inhabits such a different world from the McCanns - caring parents, brilliant medical professionals, devout Roman Catholics.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html#ixzz3BaxKqsK7 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
j.rob

Activity : 2511

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27.08.14 14:19

More about David Jones here.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by j.rob 27.08.14 14:30

Obviously sold his soul to the devil. I suppose with four children he needs all the money he can get. He must know. Probably a lot, if, as he claims, he became 'obsessed' with the case.

I used to work as a journalist for some of those crappy newspapers. Some days you would literally have journalists sitting around you tapping on keyboards chanting: 'crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!! as they churned out the latest garbage. 

Pathetic.
j.rob

Activity : 2511

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 31.08.14 7:19

Just found this in the PJ files

995 -1001 Further background information on Robert Murat

This individual, voluntarily, went to the GNR post alleging that he was an interpreter of the English language, and could be useful in helping to realise diligences. He was directed to the elements of this police which were at the locale. Right on this day and on the following days, he helped in various diligences realised by this police, namely in the inquires of the British functionaries of the LOC.

At this point in time we noted immediately a strange comportment, especially with the press/media, alleging that he did not want to be photographed, or to make allusions to this presence.

We stress that at this time, we were contacted by various journalists, who alleged that they had noticed his strange comportment, and that he showed himself to be extremely curious. When they tired to capture his picture, he repudiated this vehemently, alleging that he was father to a little girl, the same age as Madeleine and was in the middle of a divorce.

Confronted with this incoherent comportment, Robert Murat, showed much nervousness and offered to stop providing services, if that was our desire.

For the investigative strategy, in order to better control and collect relevant elements, we opted to continue to use his services. Also via communication with the Leicester police authorities, the locale where the McCann family lives in the U.K., we were informed that an English reporter had suspicions regarding Robert, for the reason of his evasive comportment when she tried to take his picture and from a telephone call, which he said was to his daughter, making it in a loud voice, as if he wanted to demonstrate something
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 01.09.14 20:53

Anyone here in direct contact with GA?

If so, perhaps they could ask him more about RM's 'appointment' - whether he'd worked for the PJ before, whether they checked out his credentials, incl. with UK police, etc? Who authorised him to be present as a translator? Do the PJ have their own 'batch' of translators and if so, why use RM?

I think these questions might shed some light on where RM 'sprang' from.
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by cloak'ndagger 02.09.14 11:00

LombardySkeptik wrote:In my view RM was not actively involved in any of this - though perhaps he is not an entirely innocent law abiding chap (hence his subsequent contradictory statements and behaviour) 

Has anyone considered that RM was just himself suspicious about the McCanns from the very beginning and just rather clumsily got himself too involved - and thereafter attracting the interest of Team McCann/MSM for their own obvious reasons
 Spot on . Robert Murat is an effusive type of guy ...overly anxious to impress and as Kate said would be the type who would have been likely to have been bullied at school.

I would imagine that he offered his services as interpreter because he was on the spot. I cannot recall reading that he was working in an official capacity
cloak'ndagger

Activity : 133

Back to top Go down

Post by palm tree 02.09.14 11:10

cloak'ndagger wrote:
LombardySkeptik wrote:In my view RM was not actively involved in any of this - though perhaps he is not an entirely innocent law abiding chap (hence his subsequent contradictory statements and behaviour) 

Spot on . Robert Murat is an effusive type of guy ...overly anxious to impress and as Kate said would be the type who would have been likely to have been bullied at school.

I would imagine that he offered his services as interpreter because he was on the spot. I cannot recall reading that he was working in an official capacity
And wasn't it a sky news reporter who reported him in the first place?
palm tree
palm tree

Activity : 368

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 02.09.14 11:20

palm tree wrote:
cloak'ndagger wrote:

I believe it was Lori Campbell a Sunday Mirror Journalist.
sami

Activity : 1019

Back to top Go down

Post by palm tree 02.09.14 11:41

sami wrote:
palm tree wrote:
cloak'ndagger wrote:

I believe it was Lori Campbell a Sunday Mirror Journalist.
Oh sorry Sami, the red tops, never do print lies lol!
palm tree
palm tree

Activity : 368

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum