The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 Mm11

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 Mm11

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 Regist10

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 Empty Re: McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Post by cockerspaniel 16.06.14 18:25

ultimaThule wrote:
cockerspaniel wrote:
Bishop Brennan wrote:
cockerspaniel wrote:
hi kevmack, i think what the mccanns are claiming is that the book has informed the general public that MBM is dead and so they (the general public) will not search for MBM, or at the least keep an eye out for her whilst abroad in case they see her, hence damaging the "search". as someone who has read his book, i doubt i would "search" for her...would you just on that evidence alone?  I think this may be the whole crux of their libel case.. someone please tell me im wrong tho!

Right, but 'harming the search' is not the same thing as libel.  From a legal point of view, 'harming the search' is irrelevant - it seems to have been a PR device used by Team McCann to legitimize their libel action - so that they didn't look too grasping and money-obsessed.   For the same reason they had Madeleine (and the twins) on the libel action as plaintiffs.  With Maddie now officially off the docket, then the 'harming the search' becomes even more irrelevant (if that's possible).   This is a simple libel action - either the book is libellous against the parents or it is not.  Maddie nor the twins were never remotely libelled and as such could never really 'win' their respective claims.

During the trial itself, the McCanns then focussed on the harm and anguish it caused them.  But again, even a high level of harm and anguish does not make it libellous.  If the book is truthful, then it cannot be libel.  However that wasn't the defence.  The defence was that the book simply narrated the views of Amaral and the views of the investigation. And if THAT is true then he should be found not-guilty.   But as any lawyer will tell you, many a good case has been lost on a technicality, so nobody will be celebrating (on either side) until the verdict is announced.

is MBM officially of the docket now, i thought we were still waiting for the judge to decide on that? i thought that  the mccanns had 30 days to produce the relevant WOC documents?  please forgive if im behind on this point.

You're not behind on this point, cs.  MBM is not officially 'off the docket' and won't be unless her parents are unable to provide properly sworn and attested documentation from the High Court in London to the effect that consent has been given for them to embark on libel proceedings on her behalf.

Following what should have taken place today, the Lisbon court was scheduled to hear closing arguments after which the McCanns will have 30 days to produce the required documentation before the verdict is handed down.

As the McCanns were made aware of this ruling some weeks ago, it's to be hoped that they have already obtained the necessary paperwork and that it will be submitted to the judge prior to revised hearing date of July 8 in order to avoid any unnecessary delay in judgement being given.
Thank you Ultimathule,  I do wish people would stop stating something as "fact" when it is no such thing, thus causing timewasting and thread derailing. Also i have to say that this thread has  a certain "hate" thread running through it that leaves me a bit uncomfortable (and im sure others too) and that the thread could function perfectly well without it. constant effing and jeffing and snipping at peoples appearance just reduces it to playground level. I know its been said before but we really dont need to lower ourselves to the same level as the pro's. !!! thanks

Activity : 227

Back to top Go down

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 Empty Re: McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Post by kevmack 16.06.14 18:31

Shubob, I took Kate's line about it happening to other children, as meaning that they had been found many years later.  Ironically enough though, I don't recall many long term searches, involving numerous police departments to find Jacyee Duggard, Michelle, Knight, Amanda Berry, Gina Dejesus, Natashca Kampusch, Elizabeth Fritzl etc, they all escaped as a result of their own efforts, and of course were all much older than Madeleine when they disappeared, so not really comparable..but you know what the McCanns are like..waiting to jump on anyone else's story if it suits their agenda.
kevmack

Activity : 241

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 16.06.14 18:31

Brian Griffin wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:
Bellisa wrote:only getting the chance to skim posts now.

What a strange day it was. Am hoping goncalo has something up his sleeve.

Great to see the media reporting in full(even mentioning clarries statement/order to the press not to repeat the claims)!

I do not believe GA would have spoken about the cremation unless he was certain about this - if this can be proven then...
Ask the priest, Sandra. You know, the one that went effin' ape-$hit over something to do with the couple in question and was then conveniently removed.

The priest who needs to be asked is the McCanns' very good friend 'Father' Haynes Hubbard, a man of the cloth who, for some unaccountable reason, didn't take the witness stand for them and sent his wife to do the honours while he ministered to the his frocks flocks in Canada.  Or did he?  Was he holed up in the 5* star in Lisbon writing a sermon in green ink on hotel stationery prior to he and his spouse visting old friends in Luz?
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16.06.14 18:35

tiny wrote:@Bishop Brennan, the only way he could lose this case would be if the judge has been got at.

No chance in hell; things like that do not happen to Portuguese nobility
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kevmack 16.06.14 18:37

Thank you Ultimathule,  I do wish people would stop stating something as "fact" when it is no such thing, thus causing timewasting and thread derailing. Also i have to say that this thread has  a certain "hate" thread running through it that leaves me a bit uncomfortable (and im sure others too) and that the thread could function perfectly well without it. constant effing and jeffing and snipping at peoples appearance just reduces it to playground level. I know its been said before but we really dont need to lower ourselves to the same level as the pro's. !!! McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 1956175960

Sorry, who is stating things as fact when they are not, and how would that be considered to be time wasting or thread derailing?  Also not sure what you mean about this being a hate thread..I don't think I've seen anyone swear, sniping or any other type of rudeness, in fact this thread has been, thankfully, totally clear of that, I haven't seen one impolite disagreement at all.
kevmack

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 16.06.14 18:37

kevmack wrote:Shubob, I took Kate's line about it happening to other children, as meaning that they had been found many years later.  Ironically enough though, I don't recall many long term searches, involving numerous police departments to find Jacyee Duggard, Michelle, Knight, Amanda Berry, Gina Dejesus, Natashca Kampusch, Elizabeth Fritzl etc, they all escaped as a result of their own efforts, and of course were all much older than Madeleine when they disappeared, so not really comparable..but you know what the McCanns are like..waiting to jump on anyone else's story if it suits their agenda.

Ah, that interpretation makes more sense. Thanks Kev  roses 
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 16.06.14 18:40

kevmack wrote:
Thank you Ultimathule,  I do wish people would stop stating something as "fact" when it is no such thing, thus causing timewasting and thread derailing. Also i have to say that this thread has  a certain "hate" thread running through it that leaves me a bit uncomfortable (and im sure others too) and that the thread could function perfectly well without it. constant effing and jeffing and snipping at peoples appearance just reduces it to playground level. I know its been said before but we really dont need to lower ourselves to the same level as the pro's. !!! McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June - Page 34 1956175960

Sorry, who is stating things as fact when they are not, and how would that be considered to be time wasting or thread derailing?  Also not sure what you mean about this being a hate thread..I don't think I've seen anyone swear, sniping or any other type of rudeness, in fact this thread has been, thankfully, totally clear of that, I haven't seen one impolite disagreement at all.

Neither have I!
ShuBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Ochosi 16.06.14 18:40

Just had a chance to watch it. I think at around 1:41, the question is:
"Don't you think he might be in pain too, Mr Amaral" to which Kate replies "Why?".
Apologies for repetition if this has already been cleared up.

Gerry didn't look happy at Kate speaking at any point, I thought.
BBC just managed to do a very good plug for the best seller and the theory that it covers.
Ochosi

Activity : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan 16.06.14 18:42

aquila wrote:
Bishop Brennan wrote:
Newintown wrote:
It was GA who had to apply for the documentation regarding Madeleine's Ward of Court status.  It cost him a lot of money, there was a request on his website for help to fund this, which was achieved and he was able to get the documentation necessary.  It was reported a week or two ago.

However, something else must have cropped up in the meantime for him to delay the court case today, perhaps something more pressing which may throw the whole thing out off kilter.

That's right.  As of the judge's ruling of 1st June 2014, Madeleine is officially 'off the docket' UNLESS the McCanns can come up with something from the UK court that owns her wardship. In theory they had 30 days from today.  So presumably they will have 30 days from the postponed date.   If they fail to do so, the defendants will be “acquitted of the proceedings concerning the requests that have been formulated on behalf of the latter" (Maddie).

I'm a bit confused now.

ultimaThule has written the opposite

quote:

You're not behind on this point, cs.  MBM is not officially 'off the docket' and won't be unless her parents are unable to provide properly sworn and attested documentation from the High Court in London to the effect that consent has been given for them to embark on libel proceedings on her behalf.

Following what should have taken place today, the Lisbon court was scheduled to hear closing arguments after which the McCanns will have 30 days to produce the required documentation before the verdict is handed down.

Actually ultimaThule is saying the same thing, except using a double negative which can be confusing and in this case is slightly inaccurate. The full details of the judge's 1st June ruling can be read here and should clarify the situation fully:

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/86june14/pjga_01_06_2014.htm

Basically she was saying that because Maddie is a ward of court the parents cannot bring a libel suit on her behalf.  Only the court can do that, and right now the McCanns do not have the court's authorisation.  They have 30 days to get that authorisation or else the defendants will be found 'not guilty' by default.
Bishop Brennan
Bishop Brennan

Activity : 920

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 16.06.14 18:44

Bishop Brennan wrote:
aquila wrote:
Bishop Brennan wrote:
Newintown wrote:
It was GA who had to apply for the documentation regarding Madeleine's Ward of Court status.  It cost him a lot of money, there was a request on his website for help to fund this, which was achieved and he was able to get the documentation necessary.  It was reported a week or two ago.

However, something else must have cropped up in the meantime for him to delay the court case today, perhaps something more pressing which may throw the whole thing out off kilter.

That's right.  As of the judge's ruling of 1st June 2014, Madeleine is officially 'off the docket' UNLESS the McCanns can come up with something from the UK court that owns her wardship. In theory they had 30 days from today.  So presumably they will have 30 days from the postponed date.   If they fail to do so, the defendants will be “acquitted of the proceedings concerning the requests that have been formulated on behalf of the latter" (Maddie).

I'm a bit confused now.

ultimaThule has written the opposite

quote:

Actually ultimaThule is saying the same thing, except using a double negative which can be confusing and in this case is slightly inaccurate. The full details of the judge's 1st June ruling can be read here and should clarify the situation fully:

Basically she was saying that because Maddie is a ward of court the parents cannot bring a libel suit on her behalf.  Only the court can do that, and right now the McCanns do not have the court's authorisation.  They have 30 days to get that authorisation or else the defendants will be found 'not guilty' by default.
I tried to delete my post when I realised it was the same thing but I didn't confirm it and then it was too late.  roses

Sir Winston Churchill: “Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.”
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13387

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown 16.06.14 18:44

Brian Griffin wrote:
maebee wrote:
kevmack wrote:
jeanmonroe wrote:YES she's says 'Maddie' NOT 'Madeleine'

1min 37 secs.
Hmmm, not so sure about that Jean, I think it's just her usual strangulated pronunciation, Mad-lin, as opposed to saying it with all three syllables, Mad-el-eine as it should be, Gerry's bad for that as well, only his is more like Mad-lun..

Yep. She said "Mad-lin". There was a lot of "mad" in KM today
I can't stand the way Gerry says 'Madeleine'. It kind of drops about 5 tones for the 'ma' and then comes up for the 'delin' bit. Having siad that, it's probably a positive that he actually has some tune to his voice: I find he kind of drones monotonously, like a bagpipe - you know, a bag of wind. I realy have to concentrate to listen to him and even then he just lulls me into boredom.

It always seems to me that Gerry says the word "Madeleine" with no compassion, he and K have been fighting their cause to keep the "abduction" story afloat for 7 long years now and it must be getting very tiring for them.  They probably never thought that when they invented the story of an "abduction" 7 years ago they would still be fighting their corner to make the whole World believe that there was an "abduction", and it's now coming back to bite them both on the bum.

Whether Madeleine was a child they even wanted or whether she was given away to a family member to look after and the McCanns had very little to do with her, she is still coming back to haunt them and they can't get away from that.  Whether they win their lawsuit against GA will not take away the fact of what happened to Madeleine, which is most probably in their dreams every day and they live and breath it through the twins.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown
Newintown

Activity : 1622

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 16.06.14 18:46

Bishop Brennan wrote:SNIP

My understanding is that they have 30 days to produce said authorisation from the libel case files which should ALREADY have been applied for before they brought the case in 2009. That is, the authorisation should be dated no later than the date they initiated legal proceedings in this libel case.
ShuBob

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 16.06.14 18:48

I wonder what Kate was going to say when she twice started her comment with "Either way" and was prevented from completing said comment by her husband.
ShuBob

Back to top Go down

Post by stargazer59 16.06.14 18:49

ShuBob wrote:
Bishop Brennan wrote:SNIP

My understanding is that they have 30 days to produce said authorisation from the libel case files which should ALREADY have been applied for before they brought the case in 2009. That is, the authorisation should be dated no later than the date they initiated legal proceedings in this libel case.
I agree Shubob, they should have had authorisation to start the case .
stargazer59

Activity : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by MaybeMaybenot 16.06.14 18:52

It seems to me that they even plan their positions on camera. They appear on TV as if like Ant & Dec. I suppose its because he can squeeze harder with his right hand.
MaybeMaybenot

Activity : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by cockerspaniel 16.06.14 18:53

ShuBob wrote:
kevmack wrote:

Neither have I!
well i have read everyword on this thread and there ARE comments about Kmcanns anorexic arms, the constant snipes at her appearance and them being called effing tossers etc.  IF you read ALL the thread you will see them to. i just think this site can do without it as it helps in NO way that i can see. and before you ask me to highlight lines for you im not going to go back tnrough 84  pages to prove my point.. but the comments are there.

with regards to stating things as fact kev mack, you said that MBM was officially of the docket, i thought she wasnt, ultimathule seemed to confirm my view, then someone else i think negated it...hence i am still confused re this point. if you can point me to where it officially says that she is of the docket so i can check for myself, that would be much appreciated. apologies to you KMack if i. wrong.!

Activity : 227

Back to top Go down

Post by kevmack 16.06.14 18:53

ShuBob wrote:I wonder what Kate was going to say when she twice started her comment with "Either way" and was prevented from completing said comment by her husband.
Hmmm, Yes Shubob, it was clear she was raging, would have been really interesting if she'd been allowed to just say what she wanted.  She did not look happy when Gerry wouldn't let her speak, and when he finally did, she came out with the ultimate clanger about childcare
kevmack

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 16.06.14 18:56

MaybeMaybenot wrote:It seems to me that they even plan their positions on camera. They appear on TV as if like Ant & Dec. I suppose its because he can squeeze harder with his right hand.
I have a little observation about which side couples stand together and whether the man holds the female's right hand etc. I don't want to disrupt this topic. I'll open a new thread in the member's lounge if that's ok with the Mods.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13387

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 16.06.14 18:57

cockerspaniel wrote:
ShuBob wrote:Snip

Neither have I!
well i have read everyword on this thread and there ARE comments about Kmcanns anorexic arms, the constant snipes at her appearance and them being called effing tossers etc.  IF you read ALL the thread you will see them to. i just think this site can do without it as it helps in NO way that i can see. and before you ask me to highlight lines for you im not going to go back tnrough 84  pages to prove my point.. but the comments are there.

with regards to stating things as fact kev mack, you said that MBM was officially of the docket, i thought she wasnt, ultimathule seemed to confirm my view, then someone else i think negated it...hence i am still confused re this point. if you can point me to where it officially says that she is of the docket so i can check for myself, that would be much appreciated. apologies to you KMack if i. wrong.!

I thought you were referring to posters sniping amongst themselves.

On the point you raise about commenting on Kate's appearance etc, I actually agree with you.
ShuBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Snifferdog 16.06.14 19:00

sofieellis wrote:
tiny wrote:Just watch the sky video,can any one tell me what Gerry said [email=at@2-13,it]at@2-13,it[/email] sounds to me like seriously injured, but I cant understand Gerry accent.

Do you mean this bit? 

(from the transcript I did above)

Gerry: What is clear is that the searches haven't found any evidence to show that Madeleine has been seriously injured or is dead. So, as far as we're concerned, there is a good chance she's still alive and we have to keep searching for her. That's why we're here.

There he goes, parroting old guff again. No, we already know you're not in Portugal to search for Madeleine!!! You're there to take/steal G.A.'s property. Does this pair ever listen to themselves?

Snifferdog

Activity : 1039

Back to top Go down

Post by kevmack 16.06.14 19:03

cockerspaniel wrote:
ShuBob wrote:
kevmack wrote:

Neither have I!

I've said nothing about MBM being off the docket, you asked my opinion about whether the search was hindered and I gave it, pages and pages ago, nothing to do with dockets, the legal jargon is not my thing

As for remarks about Kate McCann, it was she who called the Portuguese Police F*ing T*ssers, in her book no less, so yes, she gets parodied for that, she shouldn't have made the remarks in the first place, about people who were only trying to help her.  And I think I've seen one remark about her having anorexic arms, and to be fair, she is thin to the point of anorexia, no idea if she is or not, I don't think talking about how thin she is, is hate speech.  As for her general appearance, Kate also dresses up or down depending on what mood she is trying to portray, and yes, we comment on that.  But I can truly say that I haven't seen any truly nasty remarks on this thread today.

Don't forget, the McCanns have brought all of this on themselves, they have attacked, abused and been generally vile to anyone who has questioned them, so if karma is now hitting them between the eyes then so be it.  We haven't forced them to be in Lisbon spitting feathers today, that was their own doing and they deserve everything they get in terms of criticism as far as I'm concerned, and no, I don't hate them, I don't hate anyone, but I certainly do not think that they deserve any compassion from me, because they haven't shown any, to anyone else.
kevmack

Back to top Go down

Post by View-from-Ireland 16.06.14 19:06

Urgh.

The narcissism of the McCanns really irritates me so much. The most difficult part of following and reading up on this case is having to plough through so much of their ego-centrism.

View-from-Ireland

Activity : 149

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16.06.14 19:07

Snifferdog wrote:There he goes, parroting old guff again.  No, we already know you're not in Portugal to search for Madeleine!!! You're there to take/steal G.A.'s property.  Does this pair ever listen to themselves?  

I really think they rarely speak unless from prepared statements.   That's what Clarrie is for I suppose.    Emotion especially anger 

can sometimes let out words we later regret, but once said it cannot be unsaid.

Fortunately they will have plenty of opportunity to listen to themselves on the newsfeeds today.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shhh 16.06.14 19:07

tiny wrote:
jack dexter wrote:She definitely showed her true colours today with here suspect temper, the way she spoke to the reporter and the way she looked at gerry when he wouldn't let her speak, she definitely wanted to cause him pain.
One angry woman

More like a time bomb bomb,  makes you wonder if Madeleine was ever exposed to this temper off kates
Fits in with my theory
Shhh

Activity : 238

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus 2 16.06.14 19:13

The latest delay in the case comes as Mr Amaral made more outlandish claims today about Madeleine's disappearance in an interview with Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha and its sister TV channel CMTV.

The Independant no sympathy for Mr Amaral
Markus 2

Activity : 399

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top