The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by fossey on 11.06.14 16:13

Google Translated.

Original - 

http://noticias.sapo.pt/nacional/artigo/julgamento-que-opoe-pais-de-madeleine-mccann-a-goncalo-amaral-reinicia-se-segunda-feira_17846572.html


Judgment that precludes parents of Madeleine McCann Gonçalo Amaral resumes Monday
The trial of the case in which the parents of Madeleine McCann claim compensation of EUR 1.2 million for alleged defamation of former judicial police inspector Gonçalo Amaral, restarts the morning of Monday.
The hearings in the trial 1. Th Civil Court of Lisbon in the Palace of Justice, found themselves suspended since October last year, so the parents of missing British girl in Praia da Luz in the Algarve in May 2007 , reached a court settlement with Goncalo Amaral.
As there was an agreement between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the trial judge in this action, which has motivated the request for seizure of goods to Gonçalo Amaral as a precautionary measure, marked the resumption of sessions.

fossey

Posts : 293
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by worriedmum on 11.06.14 16:30

Fossey quoted


''...in the Algarve in May 2007 , reached a court settlement with Goncalo Amaral.
As there was an agreement between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the trial judge in this action, which has motivated the request for seizure of goods to Gonçalo Amaral as a precautionary measure, marked the resumption of sessions.''






Is this source saying that Goncalo Amaral accepted a settlement from Kate and Gerry McCann?










worriedmum

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 248
Join date : 2012-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by fossey on 11.06.14 16:36

@worriedmum wrote:Fossey quoted


''...in the Algarve in May 2007 , reached a court settlement with Goncalo Amaral.
As there was an agreement between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the trial judge in this action, which has motivated the request for seizure of goods to Gonçalo Amaral as a precautionary measure, marked the resumption of sessions.''






Is this source saying that Goncalo Amaral accepted a settlement from Kate and Gerry McCann?









I didn't say it. Google translate did. (Can't get the staff these days)

Miss Morias has done a better translation which i believe she has blogged now.

fossey

Posts : 293
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by End on 11.06.14 16:41

@worriedmum wrote:Fossey quoted


''...in the Algarve in May 2007 , reached a court settlement with Goncalo Amaral.
As there was an agreement between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the trial judge in this action, which has motivated the request for seizure of goods to Gonçalo Amaral as a precautionary measure, marked the resumption of sessions.''






Is this source saying that Goncalo Amaral accepted a settlement from Kate and Gerry McCann?










Is it saying his assets have been frozen for long enough and there should be no further delay??

End

Posts : 77
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by sofieellis on 11.06.14 16:43

I just don't see how their claims can possibly stand up in court now that SY have been digging up Praia de Luz, apparently looking for a body. How can Goncalo's book be more damaging to the search, than the actions of the two police forces over the last couple of weeks?

It will be interesting to see if Gerry takes his opportunity to speak in court - I seriously doubt it. I wonder what excuse they will use.

sofieellis

Posts : 184
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by jay2001 on 11.06.14 16:54

This libel trial has gone on far too long and I pray Dr Amaral is totally exonerated.  The mccanns have treated him dreadfully by freezing his assets for 5 long years. Inhumane IMO, especially as they forgive the 'abductor' FGS!

jay2001

Posts : 116
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by Doug D on 11.06.14 16:56

Joana's report say's:


'Since no agreement was reached between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the judge who presides this court action - action which has caused Gonçalo Amaral's assets to be frozen as a precautionary measure, has decided to schedule the restart of the sessions for Monday'.

Doug D

Posts : 2146
Reputation : 635
Join date : 2013-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by fossey on 11.06.14 16:58

To avoid any further confusion.

This is how it should of translated. Google translate often gets bits wrong. Apologies.

Trial which opposes Madeleine McCann parents against Gonçalo Amaral to restart next Monday

The trial of the process in which the parents of Madeleine McCann ask for a compensation of 1,2 million euro, for alleged defamation [sic] by the former Judiciary Police inspector Gonçalo Amaral, is expected to restart next Monday morning.

The hearings that were taking place at the 1st Civil Court of Lisbon, at the Palácio da Justiça, had been on hold since October last year, so the parents of the English girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, in May 2007 could reach reach a court settlement with Gonçalo Amaral. 

Since no agreement was reached between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the judge who presides this court action - action which has caused Gonçalo Amaral's assets to be frozen as a precautionary measure, has decided to schedule the restart of the sessions for Monday.

fossey

Posts : 293
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by worriedmum on 11.06.14 17:00

Thanks Fossey!

worriedmum

Posts : 1628
Reputation : 248
Join date : 2012-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by missmar1 on 11.06.14 18:42

@sofieellis wrote:I just don't see how their claims can possibly stand up in court now that SY have been digging up Praia de Luz, apparently looking for a body. How can Goncalo's book be more damaging to the search, than the actions of the two police forces over the last couple of weeks?

It will be interesting to see if Gerry takes his opportunity to speak in court - I seriously doubt it. I wonder what excuse they will use.

Well I'm sure he knew he could have given evidence when they first issued the writ against Mr Amaral but chose not to - so when he dramatically turned up outside the court that day he knew he would be turned down because he knew he was'nt listed to give any evidence so couldn't ...imo, that appearance was for the UK public to see Madeleine's " sad " dad.

missmar1

Posts : 253
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by Doug D on 11.06.14 19:30

 Retweeted by Joana Morais
JillyCL 


[ltr]@JillyCL[/ltr]

 · 50m



[ltr]@xklamation We've been told the date - Monday 16 June - has been confirmed by GA's lawyer.[/ltr]

Doug D

Posts : 2146
Reputation : 635
Join date : 2013-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by plebgate on 11.06.14 22:13

Joana M posted on her site today =

"Trial which opposes Madeleine McCann parents against Gonçalo Amaral to restart next Monday

The trial of the process in which the parents of Madeleine McCann ask for a compensation of 1,2 million euro, for alleged defamation [sic] by the former Judiciary Police inspector Gonçalo Amaral, is expected to restart next Monday morning.

The hearings that were taking place at the 1st Civil Court of Lisbon, at the Palácio da Justiça, had been on hold since October last year, so the parents of the English girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, in May 2007 could reach reach a court settlement with Gonçalo Amaral.


Since no agreement was reached between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the judge who presides this court action - action which has caused Gonçalo Amaral's assets to be frozen as a precautionary measure, has decided to schedule the restart of the sessions for Monday. "

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................


Ref. red highlights -  Who requested this attempted settlement?

We did read that Mr. & Mrs. tried to get a settlement before the trial started, is it possible that having seen and heard how the trial was going they made another attempt but Rocky A has turned it down?

IF this is the case, I  believe the Judge will rule in Rocky's favour.

Also if this is the case, it will be interesting to see whether Mr. returns to Portugal to make his presentation to court.

I believe Rocky is confident and that is why we have seen him speaking out on tv recently.

plebgate

Posts : 5443
Reputation : 1156
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by missmar1 on 11.06.14 22:17

@plebgate wrote:Joana M posted on her site today =

"Trial which opposes Madeleine McCann parents against Gonçalo Amaral to restart next Monday

The trial of the process in which the parents of Madeleine McCann ask for a compensation of 1,2 million euro, for alleged defamation [sic] by the former Judiciary Police inspector Gonçalo Amaral, is expected to restart next Monday morning.

The hearings that were taking place at the 1st Civil Court of Lisbon, at the Palácio da Justiça, had been on hold since October last year, so the parents of the English girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, in May 2007 could reach reach a court settlement with Gonçalo Amaral.


Since no agreement was reached between Gerry and Kate McCann and Gonçalo Amaral, the judge who presides this court action - action which has caused Gonçalo Amaral's assets to be frozen as a precautionary measure, has decided to schedule the restart of the sessions for Monday. "

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................


Ref. red highlights -  Who requested this attempted settlement?

We did read that Mr. & Mrs. tried to get a settlement before the trial started, is it possible that having seen and heard how the trial was going they made another attempt but Rocky A has turned it down?

IF this is the case, I  believe the Judge will rule in Rocky's favour.

Also if this is the case, it will be interesting to see whether Mr. returns to Portugal to make his presentation to court.

I believe Rocky is confident and that is why we have seen him speaking out on tv recently.


I may be wrong plebgate but I believe it was the judge who made the ruling that both sides had a certain amount of days to see if they could come to an agreement - if not, the trial would resume in 30 days.

missmar1

Posts : 253
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by plebgate on 11.06.14 22:21

Thanks missmar1.   I wonder what prompted the judge to see if they could come to an agreement?   Did one of the parties ask for this, or is this the norm in Portugal?   Can't see it happening in UK, unless it was at the request of one of the parties concerned.

Did this also include the other defendants  I wonder?

plebgate

Posts : 5443
Reputation : 1156
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by lj on 12.06.14 1:00

Imo restarting the trial when the digs are still fresh does not look good for the McCanns.

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3275
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by tigger on 12.06.14 7:24

@plebgate wrote:Thanks missmar1.   I wonder what prompted the judge to see if they could come to an agreement?   Did one of the parties ask for this, or is this the norm in Portugal?   Can't see it happening in UK, unless it was at the request of one of the parties concerned.

Did this also include the other defendants  I wonder?

I would think that refers to the early days of this trial when I believe the McCanns wanted to reach an agreement.

I would think that yet another delay for the same reason seems unlikely.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by kitchen on 12.06.14 10:21

I think the delay was to allow time for the ward of  court  situation to be clarified by the English courts. I think the possibility of a settlement being reached relates to much earlier in the process.

@plebgate wrote:Thanks missmar1.   I wonder what prompted the judge to see if they could come to an agreement?   Did one of the parties ask for this, or is this the norm in Portugal?   Can't see it happening in UK, unless it was at the request of one of the parties concerned.

Did this also include the other defendants  I wonder?

kitchen

Posts : 62
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by Bishop Brennan on 12.06.14 15:24

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I guess we won't have a verdict for another few months...   Either way, I think the verdict may signal the beginning of the end.  If the McCanns lose, then the double-whammy of the dig and the loss will be a major blow from which they are unlikely to recover.  If they win, then the dig (and any subsequent SY activity) will be spun and will form part of their complete exoneration. 

All eyes on the judge.  And keep your fingers crossed that she has not been got at.

Bishop Brennan

Posts : 695
Reputation : 217
Join date : 2013-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by bobbin on 12.06.14 15:27

@Bishop Brennan wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I guess we won't have a verdict for another few months...   Either way, I think the verdict may signal the beginning of the end.  If the McCanns lose, then the double-whammy of the dig and the loss will be a major blow from which they are unlikely to recover.  If they win, then the dig (and any subsequent SY activity) will be spun and will form part of their complete exoneration. 

All eyes on the judge.  And keep your fingers crossed that she has not been got at.

Never a truer word BB.  yes 


bobbin

Posts : 2030
Reputation : 119
Join date : 2011-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by Bishop Brennan on 12.06.14 15:36

@bobbin wrote:
@Bishop Brennan wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I guess we won't have a verdict for another few months...   Either way, I think the verdict may signal the beginning of the end.  If the McCanns lose, then the double-whammy of the dig and the loss will be a major blow from which they are unlikely to recover.  If they win, then the dig (and any subsequent SY activity) will be spun and will form part of their complete exoneration. 

All eyes on the judge.  And keep your fingers crossed that she has not been got at.

Never a truer word BB.  yes 


Sadly it cannot be ruled out.  Significant events in the libel trial have consistently triggered distraction tactics from the UK.  Worryingly many of those distractions came directly from SY (crimewatch was the classic example but press releases and radio appearances also spring to mind).  Media spin from the McCanns is to be expected, but when SY does it, that is noteworthy.  

And just this week the dig was packed up very hurriedly at the end.  As though it was somehow important to rush away home before the trial kicked off again on Monday - offering the McCanns the chance to issue their "the dig reinforces our belief that she is still alive" statement. Coincidence again?   Perhaps. 

The trial verdict seems clear to all that have studied the transcripts and the legal basis of it.  So IF it were to go against Amaral then I think we would have to conclude once and for all that the McCanns are, have been, and always will be protected.   Let's just hope that justice for Amaral will be served - even if it is looking increasingly unlikely for Madeleine...

Bishop Brennan

Posts : 695
Reputation : 217
Join date : 2013-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by Guest on 12.06.14 17:32

Word has it that both Kate and Gerry will be giving statements in Lisbon on Monday ...  Mrs 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by PeterMac on 12.06.14 17:46

Does the plaintiff wish to address the court ?

"errm, well yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, and anyway it's all his fault and he eats sardines"

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by ultimaThule on 12.06.14 17:55

@Bishop Brennan wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I guess we won't have a verdict for another few months...   Either way, I think the verdict may signal the beginning of the end.  If the McCanns lose, then the double-whammy of the dig and the loss will be a major blow from which they are unlikely to recover.  If they win, then the dig (and any subsequent SY activity) will be spun and will form part of their complete exoneration. 

All eyes on the judge.  And keep your fingers crossed that she has not been got at.

What are you saying about Portuguese justice, Bishop?  Are you claiming that the judge in the libel trial can be bought and that a wee caber tosser from the slums of Glasgow has the power to hold the governments of two countries and the judiciary of Portugal to ransom?

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial resuming Monday 16th June

Post by ultimaThule on 12.06.14 18:05

@PeterMac wrote:Does the plaintiff wish to address the court ?

"errm, well yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, and anyway it's all his fault and he eats sardines"

I seem to recall that the court translator had some difficulty in deciphering the broad Scots accent of Trish Cameron and I don't envy her/him the task of attempting to put the wee one's mangled words which, allegedly, are untelligible when he becomes irate emotional into Portuguese.  

I anticipate that any verbal statement given to the court by the caber tosser and/or his spouse will cause the proceedings to run into an extra day, if not more big grin

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum