The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Mm11

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Mm11

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Regist10

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Empty EXCLUSIVE: Gerry McCann to open up about his mental health struggles in 'honest, personal and sometimes painful' Radio 4 interview

Post by Jill Havern 16.09.18 23:17

EXCLUSIVE: Gerry McCann to open up about his mental health struggles in 'honest, personal and sometimes painful' Radio 4 interview 11 years after daughter Maddie vanished

• Cardiologist, 50, has rarely discussed his own battles with depression and grief 
  • Hopes speaking candidly will encourage more men to talk about their problems 
  • Maddie vanished from apartment in Algarve's Praia da Luz, Portugal, in 2007
  • He said: 'It's a good opportunity to discuss the special bond between fathers and daughters. Speaking openly might help other men in similar positions'

By Tracey Kandohla For Mailonline
Published: 22:34, 16 September 2018  |  Updated: 22:53, 16 September 2018

Madeleine McCann's father will tell of the heartache of losing his daughter in a rare and powerful radio interview to raise awareness about mental health. 
Gerry McCann will speak candidly about his own struggles in a bid to help other men facing unimaginable loss and grief cope with their issues.
The eminent cardiologist - whose daughter Maddie vanished nearly eleven and a half years ago during a family holiday in Portugal - will open up about the once taboo subject of males talking frankly about their emotions.
Mr McCann, 50, will discuss his own agony in 'honest, personal and sometimes painful terms' for the BBC Radio 4 special show.
He said: 'I decided it was a good opportunity to say something about the special bond between fathers and daughters, thinking that speaking openly might help other men in similar positions. It feels like the right time.' 
The McCanns have struggled with grief since three-year-old Maddie vanished from an apartment in the Algarve's Praia da Luz in May 2007 while they were dining in a nearby tapas restaurant with friends.
They still cling onto a glimmer of hope their eldest child, who would now be aged 15, could still be alive.

Over the years former GP turned medical worker Mrs McCann, 50, has given heartfelt media interviews about her loss, which once became so unbearable she contemplated taking her own life. 
Her husband has also spoken out but usually to talk about the police investigation into her disappearance and has rarely discussed his own grief.

Maddie's father will reiterate 'his absolute determination to keep looking for Madeleine', a spokesperson for the one-off arts programme told MailOnline.
Prince Harry was involved in a similarly candid interview in 2017, where he defied British royal tradition by discussing years of pain and mental health struggles.
In the podcast interview with Telegraph columnist Bryony Gordon he tied his issues to directly to the grief of losing his mother.    

Coincidentally the show: 'Pearl: Two Fathers Two Daughters' will be aired in a fortnight, just a day before Scotland Yard's funding for their Maddie inquiry, codenamed Operation Grange, is due to run out. 
It will weave together two voices of grief to reflect loss and consolation - one of the present day Gerry McCann and one from 600 years ago. 
Maddie's father, a world renowned heart doctor at Leicester's Glenfield Hospital, will be giving 'a very personal and in depth interview and a rare and unprecedented insight into his life,' the BBC spokesperson added.
One of Britain's leading poets Simon Armitage, who reached out and befriended the McCanns' after their loss, translates and dramatises a medieval poem 'Pearl' which recounts a father's grief over the loss of his daughter. 
The poem will be performed by Game of Thrones star Iain Glen and Casualty actress Grace Doherty with Maddie's father 'powerful' interview.
Mr McCann said: 'As a family we'd worked with Simon Armitage before and know what a sensitive, thoughtful writer he is. When I read the Pearl poem, I could see echoes in it with Madeleine's situation and our loss.'

Mr Armitage, who wrote a moving poem The Bacon to mark the harrowing 1,000-day milestone of Maddie's abduction in 2010 remarked: 'Pearl is one of the most moving poems in the language, written by a man grieving over the loss of his young daughter. 
While translating it into modern English I kept thinking of the McCann family and their daughter Madeleine. I'd written a poem for the family to mark the one thousandth day of her disappearance, spending some time with Kate and talking to her about life without Madeleine and the campaign to find her.'
The Professor of Poetry at Oxford University added: 'Gerry's voice hasn't been heard as much, and after reading the poem he agreed to give an extended interview, to tell his side of the story in terms of how men deal with loss and grief in a world where they're usually expected to stay strong and silent. I knew that religion plays an important part in the McCann's family life, as it does for the author of Pearl, who seeks consolation through his faith.'
The McCanns' from Rothley, Leicestershire, who have 13-year-old twins Sean and Amelie, are devout Roman Catholics, although Maddie's loss has made her father question his faith at times during a particularly low periods.
The doctor's new-found openness to help others cope with loss comes after Prince Harry, now Duke of Sussex, spoke about his struggles with mental health in a groundbreaking podcast interview on May 2017 with the Daily Telegraph's Bryony Gordon for her revered 'Mad World' series. The young royal spoke openly about bottling up his emotions and being unable to grieve for years after the loss of his mother Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in Paris in August 1997.
Later this month on the afternoon of September 29 Mr McCann will broadcast his own battles following the loss of his daughter in the world's biggest ever baffling missing child cases.

A BBC show spokesperson told MailOnline: 'We look at Gerry's experiences, his thoughts and feelings, and the wider context in society of mental health issues surrounding a loss. 
'Susan Roberts, our producer, has already interviewed Gerry over the past few weeks, it has been recorded and we are now doing the final edit. It's very emotional and helps get across the point of view of mental illness associated with a loss or bereavement of a family member or friend, that there is no stigma in men opening up and discussing emotions with someone is important.
'In our show there is a parallel between the poem of a father's loss and the real life experience, reflecting the two.'
The Middle English poem 'Pearl' written by an unknown author sees a father lamenting the loss of his daughter, who returns to him in a dream to help him come to terms with her absence.
The anonymous poet demonstrates that grief for loved ones is the hardest grief of all as he seeks consolation in the idea of heaven and the power of prayer. The original manuscript, now held in the British Library, has been dated to the late 14th century.
Eight years ago Mr Armitage wrote a poem entitled The Beacon, which was read at an event marking 1,000 days of Maddie's disappearance. It has since been repeated during anniversary gatherings to remember the missing girl at the war memorial in her home village, and read by her great aunt, local resident and church goer Janet Kennedy.
At the time the author said: 'My poem drew on the imagery of the photograph of Madeleine in missing posters around the world as well as the candle her parents keep burning in a lantern in their village square. On my part, like a lot of people, it's something that, right from the beginning, I felt moved by.
'They have hope and that's what keeps them going. For as long as that's the case they have a parent's duty and it's their fierce desire to keep looking for her.'
The McCanns praised the poem, saying: 'We think it is an incredible and really beautiful sonnet. It manages to convey so accurately and succinctly both our darker moments and the reality of hope and possibility, as well as including powerful and touching references to Madeleine.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6173813/Gerry-McCann-open-mental-health-struggles-Radio-4-interview.html

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 41616

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Empty Re: Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018

Post by maebee 17.09.18 0:19

Me Me Me, my mental health. Nothing about Madeleine and her mental health, being held captive, as he would have us believe.
maebee
maebee
Madeleine Foundation

Activity : 682

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Empty Re: Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018

Post by Verdi 17.09.18 0:26

Geeez - give me strength :puke:

That's taking the wee with a capital P! Will this ridiculous woman ever give up - all very well sticking up for a mate but don't make a total ass of yourself in the process.

Another transcript pending to add to the reference forum. waiting .

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Madeleine-church

Maybe they took the advice of a friendly source not to show emotions in public.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 41936

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 17.09.18 0:35

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 News-g10

At least they've been practicing their walkabouts for when they join forces with Prince Harry.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer 17.09.18 9:15

His " mental health struggles " have'nt stopped him advancing to Professor McCann have  they ? 

Jumping on the bandwagon of mental health , total disrespect for those genuinely suffering and unable to access the help they desperately need . 

Comparison to Prince Harry ? Kandhola really does plumb the depths her sycophantic writings are sickening !

Activity : 2374

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory 17.09.18 9:39

The special bond between fathers and daughter. So special they dumped Madeleine in the kids club every day, all day and then left her locked in her room for 6 consecutive nights. Just listen to what they are telling you, as Peter Hyatt would say.
Rogue-a-Tory
Rogue-a-Tory

Activity : 1115

Back to top Go down

Post by patricia999 17.09.18 10:05

I would have thought he would have wanted to keep a low profile and keep away from any more 'publicity' but it does appear that Mr McCann see's it as an opportunity to gain public support and sympathy.    There is certainly something odd with him wanting to do this, it can't just be about his own ego or raising his own profile as no normal person who has had a lovely child 'taken' would not put themselves through more agony and pain would they?
patricia999
patricia999

Activity : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundance 17.09.18 10:07

Must be tough maintaining his and Kate's 'composure' all this time. That would take its toll mentally.
Sundance
Sundance

Activity : 187

Back to top Go down

Post by By Numbers 17.09.18 10:19

Rogue-a-Tory wrote:The special bond between fathers and daughter. So special they dumped Madeleine in the kids club every day, all day and then left her locked in her room for 6 consecutive nights. Just listen to what they are telling you, as Peter Hyatt would say.

This is pretty good advice for all occasions. Looking back at apparent 'shocks' in the last 11 years, when someone was exposed as a terrible person, they were always telling you who they were, in one way or another.

I found many of the comments on the Mail quite disheartening. They just kind of exposed that, largely, the public is pretty unaware of the actual events or the endless inexplicable contradictory statements; they just have a generic emotional response. 

I suppose it's slightly less disheartening than reading the local paper and seeing that some of the commenters are well aware of the facts, but one of them is still cherrypicking and appears to have real hatred for anyone that questions the official version. If someone knows that things are lies, what makes them so desperate to defend them? It's a bit of a leap, but that 'anonymous person' with the dossier was filmed near to me, and it wasn't clear why she'd come all the way over here. Maybe she has family or ardently-supportive friends in the area?

Returning to the original point, though -- this interview might be interesting from 'listening to what he's telling us' point of view.
By Numbers

Activity : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 17.09.18 12:18

Well, this new article by Gerard du Cann in the Sun today isn't going to help Gerry's mental health cos they've posted a video of Eddie and Keela at the end.

ooops

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7273738/madeleine-mccanns-dad-to-reveal-his-painful-mental-health-struggle-11-years-after-she-vanished/

eyebrows

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Gducan10
Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Gducan11

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 17.09.18 12:30

I take it from this flurry of not news that the Operation Grange stay of execution is already rubber stamped for the next six months or funding crash - whichever comes first.

This is just gingerly paving the way to placate the inevitable public reaction angry !!!

Second thoughts - it could just be a precursor to the old "please Sir .... can I have some more" begging bowl coming out of the dust.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 17.09.18 12:51

Radio 4 presents Pearl: Two Fathers, Two Daughters, featuring a rare interview with Gerry McCann

Date: 12.09.2018     Last updated: 12.09.2018 at 16.24
Category: Radio 4; Radio; Commissioning; Casting

Gerry McCann: As a family we'd worked with Simon Armitage before and know what a sensitive, thoughtful writer he is. When I read the Pearl poem, I could see echoes in it with Madeleine's situation and our loss
A programme weaving together two voices of grief - one from 600 years ago and one of the present day, in Gerry McCann - comes to Radio 4 this September, in a reflection on loss and consolation.

Alongside this in-depth interview given by McCann, Simon Armitage (pictured), one of the country’s premiere poets, has dramatised Pearl - a medieval poem recounting a father’s grief from the loss of his daughter. The poem will be performed by Iain Glen (Game Of Thrones) and Grace Doherty (Casualty) and intercut with McCann’s interview.

The medieval poem is combined with unprecedented insight into the life of Madeleine’s father.

Gerry McCann’s daughter Madeleine disappeared from an Algarve holiday apartment in May 2007. In an honest, personal and sometimes painful terms, Gerry reflects on the special bond between fathers and daughters, the difficulties men have in articulating sorrow, and his absolute determination to keep looking for Madeleine.

The Middle English poem Pearl sees a father lamenting the loss of his daughter, who returns to him in a dream to help him come to terms with her absence. The anonymous Pearl poet demonstrates that grief for loved ones is the hardest grief of all as he seeks consolation in the idea of heaven and the power of prayer. The original manuscript, now held in the British Library, has been dated to the late 14th century.

Professor of Poetry at Oxford University, the recipient of a Bafta and numerous other awards, Simon Armitage is one of the most respected modern-day literary talents. In addition to poetry, Armitage has written for radio, television and film. In 2010 Armitage wrote a poem titled The Beacon, read at the event marking 1,000 days since Madeleine’s disappearance.

Gerry McCann says: “As a family we'd worked with Simon Armitage before and know what a sensitive, thoughtful writer he is. When I read the Pearl poem, I could see echoes in it with Madeleine's situation and our loss. I decided it was a good opportunity to say something about the special bond between fathers and daughters, thinking that speaking openly might help other men in similar positions. It feels like the right time.”

Simon Armitage says: “Pearl is one of the most moving poems in the language, written by a man grieving over the loss of his young daughter. While translating it into modern English I kept thinking of the McCann family and their daughter Madeleine. I’d written a poem for the family to mark the one thousandth day of her disappearance, spending some time with Kate and talking to her about life without Madeleine and the campaign to find her.

"Gerry’s voice hasn’t been heard as much, and after reading the poem he agreed to give an extended interview, to tell his side of the story in terms of how men deal with loss and grief in a world where they’re usually expected to stay strong and silent. I knew that religion plays an important part in the McCann’s family life, as it does for the author of Pearl, who seeks consolation through his faith.”

TX details:
Pearl: Two Fathers, Two Daughters

• Saturday 29 September 2018, 2.30pm - 3pm
  • Performed by Iain Glen and Grace Doherty
  • Translated and dramatised by Simon Armitage
  • Producer: Susan Roberts for BBC Radio 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/radio-4-presents-pearl-two-fathers-two-daughters-with-gerry-mccann

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory 17.09.18 14:44

Jill Havern wrote:Well, this new article by Gerard du Cann in the Sun today isn't going to help Gerry's mental health cos they've posted a video of Eddie and Keela at the end.

ooops

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7273738/madeleine-mccanns-dad-to-reveal-his-painful-mental-health-struggle-11-years-after-she-vanished/

eyebrows
Oops indeed - and that Jane Tanner had wrongly identified a burglartor. But still MSM likes to claim the McCs had been cleared. #McLies
Rogue-a-Tory
Rogue-a-Tory

Activity : 1115

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer 17.09.18 16:41

So the " eminent " Professor is going to be " honest " , well that'll be a first won't it ?

His battle with depression and grief , is that the same " grief " we saw on their faces coming out of church on Madeleines birthday grinning like a pair of Cheshire cats ?

Were the Glenfield and his colleagues aware of this battle when he returned to work , was he fit to return to work ?

Kate was also apparently " steeped in a deep depression " due to the release of The Truth of the Lie .

Life must have been difficult in Rothley especially for the twins , poor kids seriously I hope someone keeps a close eye on them . 

The close bond between father and daughter , didn't stop him putting her in the Crèche every day and allegedly leaving all of them alone every night ! 

I have friends who suffer with serious depression , two came close to suicide . One has just written a book about her experiences , I'm reading the draft , heartbreaking . 

Gerry McCann , you haven't got a clue , imho another " marketing ploy " !

Activity : 2374

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe 17.09.18 16:56

Operation Grange will either shortly receive the extended funding - in which case there will be harsh criticism from those who believe police time, money and resources are being wasted at a time of cut-backs - or it will be denied the funding - in which case there will be criticism if it ceases without having achieved something which can satisfy the public and justify it's cost. In either scenario there is a strong potential for renewed criticism of the McCanns. In my opinion Gerry is trying to shelter behind a worthy, popular concern - mental health. Here in Ireland there is a cynical saying that describes this type of sympathy garnering - " Hit me now, with the child in me arms!!" In this case I would paraphrase it as Gerry whimpering - " Hit me now, with mental health in me arms!!"  big grin
Phoebe

Activity : 3046

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 17.09.18 19:19

Good ol’ Trace!

On the ball as ever.

Mr Armitage, who wrote a moving poem The Bacon to mark the harrowing 1,000-day milestone of Maddie's abduction in 2010……. 

The poem was actually titled ‘The Beacon’.

Maybe Tracey was having a ‘porkies’ come-uppance moment.

(As pointed out by Poe over the road.)
Doug D

Activity : 5284

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 17.09.18 19:47

Who on earth does Gerry think he is?  For goodness sake, he is a prime suspect in a missing child case.

Firstly, he is once again copying a royal

Secondly, he thinks that he can tell other men about the father and daughter bond.  I think that most men who have children will already be well aware of this bond, and I am certain that they wont take kindly to hearing it from someone who claims to have left his daughters, both under 4 years old, plus his 2 yr old son, home alone to go partying with his mates.  What kind of bond is that?

Thirdly, most men would be horrified if there were suggestive pictures of their daughters splattered all over the media, no matter what age they were but at 4 and under?  The males of this country must be furious reading this nonsense.

Stop whinging Gerry - Madeleine is the only victim here, not you and Kate.
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11200

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 18.09.18 9:39

Cynical thought from Textusa blog:

Anonymous 17 Sep 2018, 19:03:00
https://www.rlb-law.com/briefings/mental-health-law/legal-issues-in-the-extradition-of-patients-with-mental-disorders/

Posted by annieonymous on Abscam.

Is G preparing to resist extradition?

Always best to get your retaliation in first?
Doug D

Activity : 5284

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundance 18.09.18 9:57

Doug D wrote:Cynical thought from Textusa blog:

https://www.rlb-law.com/briefings/mental-health-law/legal-issues-in-the-extradition-of-patients-with-mental-disorders/

A European Arrest Warrant would suffice, wouldn't it? But only 1. Charges are pressed and he is to be 'prosecuted' 2. We are still bound by EU laws at the time.
Besides, he may (or may not) have plenty of support from various influential figures to delay any proceedings indefinitely, or make them go away altogether.
Sundance
Sundance

Activity : 187

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 18.09.18 12:36

Doug D wrote:Cynical thought from Textusa blog:

Nah - I doubt it.  I reckon this latest blitz is just a lead up to extending Operation Grange for another period - to placate the otherwise embarrassing decision to continue something that never started.

I do however feel that the wife, Kate McCann's, mental state has been emphasised since the beginning of this saga for a specific reason.  A safety net maybe or the proverbial sacrificial lamb?

No crime is 100% fallproof - there's always a chance somewhere down the line some new evidence might emerge.  The hole would of course be swiftly plugged but still the stigma would remain.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by tara 19.09.18 11:05

I hope GM is rehearsing well for this new, impaired mental health version of his narcissistic self. He will need to get the wording just right and will need to imagine what it might have been like if Madeleine had been abducted rather than dead for 11 yrs. I wish he was doing a televised interview as I do love watching his squirmings. I have to agree that I think it's related to OG wanting more money
...and avoiding extradition is a possibility as he is a master of manipulation and timing.
Is 'an eminent cardiologist' fit to work if he has mental health problems? Probably not if the mental health problems were real. To gain a professorship when your daughter is 'missing' shows a very strong mind, I would have thought......
How much is he being paid for this airing of his mental health ? There may be many listeners to this broadcast but few who will believe him.Yawwwnnn.
tara

Activity : 98

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann Radio 4 Interview - 29/09/2018 Empty Gerry's Mental Health

Post by willowthewisp 19.09.18 13:40

tara wrote:I hope GM is rehearsing well for this new, impaired mental health version of his narcissistic self. He will need to get the wording just right and will need to imagine what it might have been like if Madeleine had been abducted rather than dead for 11 yrs. I wish he was doing a televised interview as I do love watching his squirmings. I have to agree that I think it's related to  OG wanting more money
...and avoiding extradition is a possibility as he is a master of manipulation and timing.
Is 'an eminent cardiologist' fit to work if he has mental health problems? Probably not if the mental health problems were real. To gain a professorship when your daughter is 'missing' shows a very strong mind, I would have thought......
How much is he being paid for this airing of his mental health ? There may be many listeners to this broadcast but few who will believe him.Yawwwnnn.
Best inform Home Office Mr Javid that funding No longer required as they mustn't add to the stress,anxiety built up over Eleven yrs,all those special Talk shows have caused unique havoc,so best to close Operation Grange down now please.

I would like to thank all of the Officers who have taken part in Operation Grange and would kindly ask,due to our frail condition,that they understand that if the case is shelved/closed,yours sincerely?

Irony!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Activity : 4912

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 20.09.18 14:02

According to Natasha Donn, Gerry will be interviewed on Radio 4 on 29 September.

Is there anyone who can record this interview for us please, in a format that can be saved/posted on the forum?

I think there are 2 fathers, so GM will only be 10 minutes worth - after heavy editing and proof reading of course.

Then Peter Hyatt and Hobs can get to work big grin

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 20.09.18 16:45

Not what you're talking of ^^^ but there is a five minute discussion on the forthcoming interview concerning Gerry McCann's mental state. It's right at the end..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06lp2fp

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 20.09.18 16:52

Mr McCann will appear on the BBC Radio 4 programme “Pearl: Two Fathers, Two Daughters” on September 29.

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-09-17/gerry-mccann-to-discuss-his-mental-health-issues-in-rare-interview/

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top