The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Mm11

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Mm11

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Regist10

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading? (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?)

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is 'Smith-man'? (MULTIPLE CHOICE - You can vote for more than one answer)

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap11%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 27 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap1%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap44%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 107 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap7%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 16 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap10%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 25 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap6%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 15 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap2%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 6 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap11%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 27 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap5%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 13 ]
Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_lcap1%Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 241

Poll closed

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Empty Re: Where could "Smith-man" have been heading? (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?)

Post by russiandoll 21.10.13 14:47

twitterpros going ape again saying that in the CdM piece Amaral is lying about the Smith sighting and description. I think the paper has conflated the statements to come up with a description........ that given by  Peter Smith is why imo the build has varied slightly from Martin's. CdM describes it as athletic, which fits with what is stated below ;

"The description of the individual who carried the child was: Caucasian, around 175 to 180 cm tall. About 35 years, or older. He was somewhat tanned as a result of sun exposure. Average build, in good shape. "

We must remember who came across the man and where, the slope of the street and lighting. If you saw the man where there was more light you would notice skin colour, also depending on where you stood in relation to a man walking towards you and your eye for fashion.. you might notice trousers and any embellishments. [ young Aoife noticed the trousers]

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll
russiandoll

Activity : 4058

Back to top Go down

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Empty Re: Where could "Smith-man" have been heading? (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?)

Post by nobodythereeither 21.10.13 14:49

Beanie wrote:
nobodythereeither wrote:
ConcernedCitizen wrote:I've looked at the statements and the astrology as well. 
Hi Concerned Citizen.

Sorry, off topic, but there was an astrologer who used to post on either (or both?) the Mirror forum or 3As, and I found his (?) posts very interesting. I was sorry when the forum was shut down and s/he was no longer posting anywhere that I was aware of.

Can't remember his forum name. Was that you?

ETA: Is it just me, but catching up with  this thread tonight,  it feels to me that this forum has suddenly become quite divided on a  number ot things.

And for what it's worth, I don't have a lot of time for people who dismiss things like astrology without ever

having studied them for themselves. Which as it happens I have. And I am neither gullible nor stupid.
Are you thinking of jDomino, not sure if that is the correct spelling.
Yes, thank you, well remembered!
nobodythereeither

Activity : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21.10.13 14:51

Estelle wrote:
littlepixie wrote:I don't think there is any proof that Kennedy and the Murats are Witnesses. Kennedy came from a Witness family and I know some of them are still active, but everything he does shows he ISN'T an active Witness. By their acts you will know them. Money does not talk in a Kingdom Hall. Charity is done in secret.  Do we know how/why we think Kennedy paid for a Rapid Build (Kingdom Hall).

The Witness remain impartial in earthly matters and they are also in subjection to the law of the land. They accept that Jehovah PUT the authorities where they are and he allows them to remain for now. The only time they would ever make a stand against the law is if it asked them to break Godly Law.

Michaela could have been studying or been a baptized Witness but unless her husband had had an affair and left her and she had been granted a scriptural divorce,  she would not have been free to marry Murat and would have been disfellowshipped for doing so.

So that leaves the Masons?
Meanwhile, he (Robert Murat) married an Anglo-Portuguese woman, went to the USA, on a honeymoon, late last year, but did not go unnoticed: “Here, I feel the discomfort of seeing people pointing at me, but over there I was recognised, as well.”

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2010/03/robert-murat-continues-to-receive-death.html

I have seen several posts in the last few days claiming that Robert Murat married Michaela.

I would like to find out what proof you have of this because:

1. A local Portuguese told me this is not true. She is still with her husband. 

2.  Michaela is not an Anglo-Portuguese woman as it states above.
Murat is married on beach

Published: Sun, May 10, 2009

ROBERT Murat has married the woman who stood by him when he wrongly became a suspect in the Madeleine case, writes James Murray.

His bride, German-born Jehovah’s Witness Michaela Walczuch, 34, never doubted Mr Murat for a second and remained loyal throughout the time he was under suspicion.
The civil ceremony, held on April 17 on a beach just a few miles from Praia da Luz, was witnessed by 50 close relatives and friends of the couple.
Among them was 35-year-old Mr Murat’s daughter Sofia from his first marriage. Mr Murat’s brother Richard was best man.
Also there was Mr Murat’s mother Jenny, 72, who still lives just 100 yards from the apartment where Madeleine vanished.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/100070/Murat-is-married-on-beach
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21.10.13 14:52

That's strange about Robert Murat's second marriage, Estelle.

Here is just one link about it.

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/congratulations-robert-murat-and.html

They have had a son together since then.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 21.10.13 14:57

Estelle wrote:I have seen several posts in the last few days claiming that Robert Murat married Michaela.

Back in 2010, I wrote a long article [120 pages] titled: "Robert Murat: From Arguido to Applause", a reference to his being applauded after a speech at the Cambridge Union in March 2010, which he said at the time would be: "The first and last time I make any public statement about the disappearance of Madeleine McCann".

AFAIK, I have ensured that this has been completely removed from the internet following complaints that one or two sentences in it were libellous.

However, I can I think reveal once again the final short chapter, Chpater S, here it is:

S.  A happy ending? Murat marries Michaela Walczuk

Here’s how one newspaper, the Sunday Express, reported Murat’s wedding to Michaela Walczuk on 17 April 2009:

“Robert Murat has married the woman who stood by him when he wrongly became a suspect in the Madeleine case”, writes James Murray.

“His bride, German-born Jehovah’s Witness Michaela Walczuch, 34, never doubted Mr Murat for a second and remained loyal throughout the time he was under suspicion. The civil ceremony, held on April 17 on a beach just a few miles from Praia da Luz, was witnessed by 50 close relatives and friends of the couple.

“Among them was 35-year-old Mr Murat’s daughter S_____ from his first marriage. Mr Murat’s brother Richard [lives in Warwickshire, England] was best man. Also there was Mr Murat’s mother Jenny, 72, who still lives just 100 yards from the apartment where Madeleine vanished”.

Most stories would end here, with the words: ‘And they lived happily ever after’.

But perhaps there is more yet to be revealed about the involvement of Robert Murat in the Madeleine McCann mystery.

One of the outstanding questions that still remains a puzzle is just what made him book that flight to Portugal in the early hours of 1 May 2007.

ENDS

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie 21.10.13 15:11

Re The Link Estelle posted about Murat being recognized in America. I find it hard to believe that people in America would recognize him.

I wouldn't recognize him if I saw him on my local street and I have seen loads of pictures of him over the years.
littlepixie
littlepixie

Activity : 1392

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle 21.10.13 15:13

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:That's strange about Robert Murat's second marriage, Estelle.

Here is just one link about it.

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/congratulations-robert-murat-and.html

They have had a son together since then.
Thanks to CandyFloss and NFWD. I had assumed that Murat would have married her but I was told by this local Portuguese woman that that was not true. Then when i read on Joana's site today, it described her as Anglo-Portuguese, I thought that no one would describe Michaela as that as she is German.
Estelle
Estelle

Activity : 471

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle 21.10.13 15:26

From Nereid's post earlier:

Niall O'Connor – 19 March 2012 10:05 AM

AN Irish family holidaying in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz on the night Madeleine McCann went missing say they will "fully cooperate" with any new police probe.

Louth couple Martin and Mary Smith were quizzed by investigators after they claimed to have seen a man carrying a young child through the town on the night of the May 3, 2007.

Madeleine was almost four years old when she vanished from her bed in her parents' apartment at the Ocean Club holiday resort in Praia da Luz between 9.35pm and 10pm on May 3, 2007."

I am very interested in the timeline and this is the first article I have seen which states that Maddie could have disappeared as early as 9.35pm which I think will turn out to be more correct than 10pm.
Estelle
Estelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle 21.10.13 15:35

Tony Bennett wrote:
Estelle wrote:I have seen several posts in the last few days claiming that Robert Murat married Michaela.

Back in 2010, I wrote a long article [120 pages] titled: "Robert Murat: From Arguido to Applause", a reference to his being applauded after a speech at the Cambridge Union in March 2010, which he said at the time would be: "The first and last time I make any public statement about the disappearance of Madeleine McCann".

AFAIK, I have ensured that this has been completely removed from the internet following complaints that one or two sentences in it were libellous.

However, I can I think reveal once again the final short chapter, Chpater S, here it is:

S.  A happy ending? Murat marries Michaela Walczuk

Here’s how one newspaper, the Sunday Express, reported Murat’s wedding to Michaela Walczuk on 17 April 2009:

“Robert Murat has married the woman who stood by him when he wrongly became a suspect in the Madeleine case”, writes James Murray.

“His bride, German-born Jehovah’s Witness Michaela Walczuch, 34, never doubted Mr Murat for a second and remained loyal throughout the time he was under suspicion. The civil ceremony, held on April 17 on a beach just a few miles from Praia da Luz, was witnessed by 50 close relatives and friends of the couple.

“Among them was 35-year-old Mr Murat’s daughter S_____ from his first marriage. Mr Murat’s brother Richard [lives in Warwickshire, England] was best man. Also there was Mr Murat’s mother Jenny, 72, who still lives just 100 yards from the apartment where Madeleine vanished”.

Most stories would end here, with the words: ‘And they lived happily ever after’.

But perhaps there is more yet to be revealed about the involvement of Robert Murat in the Madeleine McCann mystery.

One of the outstanding questions that still remains a puzzle is just what made him book that flight to Portugal in the early hours of 1 May 2007.

ENDS
BIB  I think mobile phone records compared to his statements might reveal the truth about Murat and Michaela and his whereabouts. 

I would also like to know why he has never sued Jane Tanner and the other tapas people.  Was it dropped?

Also, I would like to know about Jane Tanner's call at about 4am on Sunday, 29 April, 2007.  I have often wondered whether she phoned Murat then or did she phone someone else to phone him.  

In other words, I do not think Murat is necessarily out of the woods yet. BTW he was definitely not the abductor.  
Estelle
Estelle

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 21.10.13 15:38

We were not given details of the British father, we only have AR's words that he exists.
Did AR invent him to cancel out Tannerman?
It would be a mad ploy unless....UNLESS Tanner has cracked!
Then there may be a madness to the strategy.

Where has Tannerman been for the last 6+ years that he did not know his image carrying his child has been circulating on news worldwide?

To be fair Smithman was never given same level of coverage/publicity as Tannerman, nor was the image (E-Fits) circulated before CW.
I believe Smithman isnt an invention because no vested interest for Smith family to do that, unlike Jane!
Anyway, the man as described by them does not match that of stocky bespectacled Murat.
Besides, they only need to state that the man wasn't the third arguido and that should suffice for the purpose.

If the man exists and comes forward, what then?  What is Redwood doing to do next?  
Chances of someone coming forward at this late stage is practically zero but you never know.
A Dutch father or German father coming forward belatedly (as the British father did) would be freaky especially coming on top of the Tannerman in the same freaky manner.  So I cant see Redwood inventing one such to cancel out Smithman.

He cant have been a guest at the resort or a guest who used the Creche as I'd imagine all guests with child/children would have been TIEd as a fundamental step of elimination.  He cant have been native to Portugal because no appeal went out there.  

Unless he lives in a cave or total isolation, in a desolate area without access to newspapers or TV or without access to community and social activities someone would have recognised him and reported him!

Redwood can't be having an open plan, as in open timeframe, for Smithman or witnesses to come forward....or this could go on for eon.....so it's a question of time sooner rather than later Redwood will have to show his cards.......
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle 21.10.13 15:46

Gonçalo Amaral: 'Irish family's testimony has enormous relevance to the investigation'
16 OCTOBER 2013 | POSTED BY JOANA MORAIS LEAVE A COMMENT

Former PJ coordinator recalls that testimony pointed to Gerry McCann

by Nuno Miguel Maia and Óscar Queirós

Where could "Smith-man" have been heading?   (OR: Was there ever a "Smith-man"?) - Page 18 Police+Kate+McCann+mother+missing+Madeleine+OLIRey4Xe2TalHow do you see the fact that only now Scotland Yard has presented an e-fit alleged to be of the main suspect? And of having made an arrest of another suspect?

- If the the e-fit is based on the Irish family's testimony that, in the night of the facts, saw a man carrying a child walking towards the beach, that e-fit will have to be in someway similar to Gerry McCann, since it was that person [Martin Smith] that has identified him with a high degree of probability. Why was this published only now is something you will have to ask Scotland Yard. As to the "another suspect", no suspect was detained. It was someone who "bragged" about having seen Madeleine and it's alleged that he had paedophile material in his computer. Thus, his detention is not a direct result of any investigation related to the disappearance of the child.

Why was that e-fit only made now and which criteria are behind that arrest? Do you believe that it has any veracity and is it important for the investigation?

- I believe I have already answered partially to your question. If we are talking about the Irish family's testimony that I have referred to, then it has an enormous relevance to the investigation. We only hope that their initial statements aren't misrepresented and "rewritten".

BBC made a programme on the reconstitution of the events related to Maddie disappearance. How do you see the fact that the McCann couple and their friends have refused to do a reconstitution at the time of the [PJ] investigation?

- It's not a reconstitution. Or rather, it is not a reconstitution as foreseen in our Code of Criminal Procedure, which was rendered impossible due to the unavailability of the participants (suspects and friends). It should be recalled what the prosecutor of the Republic stated at the time of the archival of the process: with the non-participation in the reconstitution, the couple lost the possibility to prove their innocence. In fact that is what the reconstitution offers, the opportunity to enlighten and clarify any doubts, and it should be done by the participants, while alive.

In the investigation that you coordinated, were there suspects and identikits?

- The investigation had had three suspects. Some identikits were made.

Did you, as coordinator of the investigation, had at your disposal all the necessary means?

- The only problem that we had was lack of time. As you know, I was removed from the investigation after six months. Therefore, we lacked time.

In this type of investigation, what is the importance of the time factor?

- It is crucial. It's necessary to act quickly and in a timely manner. Initiate the investigation immediately and then have time to investigate all the leads and answer to all questions. That was what I didn't have.

in Jornal de Notícias, October 15, 2013, paper edition

Video

ITV News' Europe Correspondent Emma Murphy interviews Gonçalo Amaral, ITV, October 15, 2013

See videos here:

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-reconstruction-that-never-was.html
Estelle
Estelle

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 21.10.13 16:16

Estelle wrote:From Nereid's post earlier:

"Madeleine was almost four years old when she vanished from her bed in her parents' apartment at the Ocean Club holiday resort in Praia da Luz between 9.35pm and 10pm on May 3, 2007."

I am very interested in the timeline and this is the first article I have seen which states that Maddie could have disappeared as early as 9.35pm which I think will turn out to be more correct than 10pm.
The fact that the alarm was raised at 22.00, according to the well-worn timeline, has confused people into thinking that Smithman couldn't have been carrying M because that sighting was at 21.55

In fact, even by that timeline, she could have been taken any time after 21.35, the time of MO's alleged last check, which fits Smithman fine. Abduction 21.50, Smith sighting 21.55, alarm 22.00

But if you take into account other independent witnesses, she was gone by 21.20, because word had already reached the streets by then that a little girl was missing

The problem is that an abduction at 21.20 doesn't really fit Smithman because it means he was wandering around with her for 35 minutes

So if she was gone by 21.20, as seems likely, Smithman was not M's abductor
StraightThinking

Activity : 180

Back to top Go down

Post by Nereid 21.10.13 16:19

Tony Bennett wrote:
sallypelt wrote:Has anyone seen Mary Smith's statement? All I can find is "she doesn't want to make another statement", and "doesn't want to make another one". So, where is the statement that she made?
 It's all very strange. AFAIK there is no Mary Smith statement. There would be no obvious reason for the Portuguese Police not to release it, along with everything else on the DVD, in July 2008.

sallypelt, do we know if Mrs Smith travelled to Portugal in late May to make her statement (if she made one at all)?
Mrs Smith did not come to Portugal late May:

"Two days later, Leicestershire police got on to us and said they wanted to speak to all nine of us. But we felt there was no point dragging grand children and the whole lot out to Portugal so just my eldest son, Peter, and youngest daughter, Aoife, and I flew to Luz to make a statement."

DailyMail 3rd January 2008 (paper version only).

It's most odd. His wife didn't come, but he dragged his 12 y/o daughter along. Would it have been a school holiday?

Why couldn't Drogheda Police take a statement of Mary Smith? She was happy enough to talk to the press.
Nereid

Activity : 327

Back to top Go down

Post by galena 21.10.13 16:20

Cristobell wrote:I can't see any reason for the Smith family to lie, or even confuse a memory to such an extent that they believed they saw a man with a child.  Mrs Smith spoke to the man and asked if the child was asleep, so it was a close encounter, not a distant one.  The Smith family have never sought publicity, so that motive can be ruled out, and from what I can decipher they refused to assist the McCann's alternate investigation.  Why should the McCanns be the only respectable people in this debacle? 

As impossible as it all seems, the facts are as they are.  How do you account for Gerry's presence outside 5A when he bumped into Jez? He wasn't 'hanging around', he was checking the children, it formed part of the tapas alibi, so all perfectly legitimate - or was he?  What if the cover up was already underway? Perhaps there was a rush of children being moved from their beds, wearing only their pyjamas. Within that small area in PDL there were TWO men walking around carrying small sleeping children in pyjamas without any sign of a blanket, a toy, a buggy, clean jammies or any of the other paraphernalia that every parent knows is essential to comfort or pacify a tired child on the move.  One man has now come forward 6.5 years later which is almost up there with Jesus walking on water, but he has and Tannerman can now be forgotten.  The other remains a mystery. 

It can't be Gerry because he is a nice middle class doctor who may or may not work for the Government and he has a fragrant wife. The fact that he was in the area, some might say acting suspiciously, and looks exactly like the man described by the Smith family complete with light coloured chinos with buttons down the side carrying a child who matched his missing daughter's description, must be discarded.  

I always felt that Jane Tanner's sighting was hastily dream't up to counter the sighting by the Smith family. Whoever the Smith family saw, saw them too, and Tannerman is not too dissimilar to Smithman, except of course he had long hair not short, like Gerry's.  If we look at the original timeline on the Maddy's torn up book, Jane's sighting has been added almost as an afterthought, as if they were wondering if they could get away with it.  They did of course, to the astonishment of us all, and Jane's sighting of course changed the face of the abductor from then on.   In my opinion Jane's sighting is so ridiculous, it must have been made up on the hop.  When she drew on her memory bank for the image of a child abductor, up popped a classic old b/w Frankenstein film, with the awkward creature carrying an inert child across his arms.  It may be that they had the timelines established before the alarm was raised, and had to change it hastily using that torn out page from Maddy's book? 

I don't have any reasons to doubt the Smith family, and the strange description given by Jane and the concerted efforts by Team McCann to avoid it, confirms that they are telling the truth.
Actually in retrospect it seems surprising that the McCanns latched on to the Tanner sighting so much given that it has actually done much to discredit them in that it makes the window of opportunity for the abduction almost impossible.  If they are making up a sighting, why not pick a more believable time?
galena

Activity : 291

Back to top Go down

Post by roy rovers 21.10.13 16:28

Nereid wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:
sallypelt wrote:Has anyone seen Mary Smith's statement? All I can find is "she doesn't want to make another statement", and "doesn't want to make another one". So, where is the statement that she made?
 It's all very strange. AFAIK there is no Mary Smith statement. There would be no obvious reason for the Portuguese Police not to release it, along with everything else on the DVD, in July 2008.

sallypelt, do we know if Mrs Smith travelled to Portugal in late May to make her statement (if she made one at all)?
Mrs Smith did not come to Portugal late May:

"Two days later, Leicestershire police got on to us and said they wanted to speak to all nine of us. But we felt there was no point dragging grand children and the whole lot out to Portugal so just my eldest son, Peter, and youngest daughter, Aoife, and I flew to Luz to make a statement."

DailyMail 3rd January 2008 (paper version only).

It's most odd. His wife didn't come, but he dragged his 12 y/o daughter along. Would it have been a school holiday?

Why couldn't Drogheda Police take a statement of Mary Smith? She was happy enough to talk to the press.
No parent would drag in a 12 year old child unless it was a genuine attempt to help the investigation. Must be genuine or a genuinely held belief.
roy rovers
roy rovers

Activity : 538

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle 21.10.13 16:29

Tony Bennett wrote:
jozi wrote:did not appear to be a tourist.

These words are also used by Jane Tanner in her statement about seeing bundleman, Which I find odd, why both witnesses to the "abduction " describe the person of interest as " not appear to be a tourist " ???
 YES:

From Wikipedia: "She described the man as white, dark-haired, 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) tall, of southern European or Mediterranean appearance, 35–40 years old, wearing gold or beige trousers and a dark jacket, and said he did not look like a tourist".

Quite frankly, when you pause from whatever you're doing for just a few seconds and really think about it, the description: 'He didn't look like a tourist" is, well, gibberish. If you disagree, then someone tell me what a tourist normally looks like, at 10.00pm on a coldish evening when it's already dark.

For two people to give such a ridiculous description begins to suggest collusion.  And that's without mentioning: dark jacket, light trousers, buttons.

We do have this from Jane Tanner's first statement, if it's of any help:

She swore "by everything most sacred" that what she said is true...

I am starting to believe that there could have been COLLUSION between Jane Tanner and Martin Smith via Robert Murat or even the McCanns!

Now it seems to have been merged into ONE sighting of the abductor by the McCanns, does that mean that Andy Redwood will soon tell us that this man who has come forward is the same man whom the Smiths saw???? 
big grin 

Estelle
Estelle

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 21.10.13 16:30

Tony Bennett wrote:

Could it be that when Mrs. Smith said "she doesn't want to make another statement" she meant that the two already given by her family were all that was needed maybe because she would not be able to add anything else of use?

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 21.10.13 16:37

plebgate wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:

Could it be that when Mrs. Smith said "she doesn't want to make another statement" she meant that the two already given by her family were all that was needed maybe because she would not be able to add anything else of use?
That is my understanding.  It was stated by the Irish Sargeant in his cover note accompanying Martin Smiths additional statement in January 2008.  He says:

I took an additional statement from Mr Smith as requested. His wife does not want to make another statement. I showed him the video clip and he stated that it was not the clip that alerted him but the BBC news at 10 PM on 9th September 2007.

The assumption is therefore made she had previously done one, I have not seen it.  Perhaps it was withheld ?
sami

Activity : 1019

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 21.10.13 16:42

Enough of these ridiculous efits!

There are people who have been walking past my house for the last 5 years, and I still wouldn't be able to make up an efit of them

On the basis of a fleeting moment lasting seconds, in the dark, in a chance encounter which appeared to have no significance at the time, so the efit had to be made later, we are supposed to believe the efit(s) of Smithman (assuming the two versions were suggested by two of the Smiths, but not Martin Smith) and the sketch of Bundleman

It's nonsense
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by galena 21.10.13 17:14

StraightThinking wrote:Enough of these ridiculous efits!

There are people who have been walking past my house for the last 5 years, and I still wouldn't be able to make up an efit of them

On the basis of a fleeting moment lasting seconds, in the dark, in a chance encounter which appeared to have no significance at the time, so the efit had to be made later, we are supposed to believe the efit(s) of Smithman (assuming the two versions were suggested by two of the Smiths, but not Martin Smith) and the sketch of Bundleman

It's nonsense
I have to agree with you - if someone asked me to do an efit of my bus driver this morning I wouldn't have a clue - can't remember if black/white, male/female age, whatever.  I don't notice strangers at all unless they are particularly unusual, or do something to draw my attention to them. To be fair I'm not particularly observant and usually have my nose stuck in a book, but surely other people don't go around noticing all these tiny details of strangers they pass in the night.
galena

Activity : 291

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 21.10.13 17:21

When passing strangers in the street, most people look away, rather than stare at them in case they need to give a description to the police

According to the statements, I can't see anything that suggests any of the Smith family might have remembered his face, which makes sense

In similar circumstances, you might possibly remember some detail of the clothing, which appears to have been the case

But if you are able to give a detailed description of his trousers, you can't have been looking at his face anyway!
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by endgame 21.10.13 17:23

It's nonsense
I agree. All witness statements comment on how poor the lighting was and none of them gives a detailed description of the man's face. Martin Smith's identification of GM is based on posture not face. Given that context how believable is it that 30 detectives spend 2 1/2 years on the case and the best they can come up with are e-fits based on recollection by people who couldn't describe the man's face at the time and prepared by PI's who have since been subject to all kinds of criminal charges, were actually being paid by the McCanns the only identified suspects in the case [along with Robert Murat] and who then suppressed the e-fits for 5 years. If that's the best SY can do I want my money back.
endgame
endgame

Activity : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthandjustice 21.10.13 17:26

galena wrote:

It's nonsense
I have to agree with you - if someone asked me to do an efit of my bus driver this morning I wouldn't have a clue - can't remember if black/white, male/female age, whatever.  I don't notice strangers at all unless they are particularly unusual, or do something to draw my attention to them. To be fair I'm not particularly observant and usually have my nose stuck in a book, but surely other people don't go around noticing all these tiny details of strangers they pass in the night.
I have to agree the e fits are 'ludicrous' given the time that has passed, however the MAIN reason that the Smith sighting was important was because of the 60 -80% certainty that it was GM and therefore it corroborated the evidence gathered thus far and the conclusions that the PJ were coming to.  The e fits were drawn up later by a detective agency in the pay of TM therefore we can assume that the likeness was somewhat diluted rendering them essentially meaningless.
Truthandjustice

Activity : 240

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21.10.13 17:43

Who is the resident who heard someone calling "madeleine......madeleine at 21.20- 21.30?
Is there a statement?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthandjustice 21.10.13 18:19

Ah yes, as I thought; GA says the Smith sighting was a positive ID of GM, that it has been later made into an e fit to devalue it http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/10/key-witness-identified-maddies-father.html
Truthandjustice

Activity : 240

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top