The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 34 Mm11

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 34 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 34 Mm11

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 34 Regist10

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 34 Empty Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tony Bennett 20.11.13 21:21

canada12 wrote:Can I ask if it's normal in Portugal for a libel trial to be heard in fits and starts like this, over a long period of time, not consecutive days? It just seems as if there's a lot of stopping and starting, instead of having it all go over a few days at the same time. Is this the usual way trials are conducted in Portugal or is it unusual? Just wondering if there's some deliberate stalling going on....? Thanks.
I agree it is truly astonishing, and not the way justice should be done for either side. Not only has this (final) trial lasted 8 days spread over more than two months, the whole case has lasted over 4 years 6 months.

The trial of Goncalo Amaral on criminal charges followed a similar pattern. The hearings began on 24 October 2008, and there were 7 days of hearings spread over 7 months before the final hearing and verdict in May 2009.

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 20.11.13 21:30

Tony Bennett wrote:
canada12 wrote:Can I ask if it's normal in Portugal for a libel trial to be heard in fits and starts like this, over a long period of time, not consecutive days? It just seems as if there's a lot of stopping and starting, instead of having it all go over a few days at the same time. Is this the usual way trials are conducted in Portugal or is it unusual? Just wondering if there's some deliberate stalling going on....? Thanks.
I agree it is truly astonishing, and not the way justice should be done for either side. Not only has this (final) trial lasted 8 days spread over more than two months, the whole case has lasted over 4 years 6 months.

The trial of Goncalo Amaral on criminal charges followed a similar pattern. The hearings began on 24 October 2008, and there were 7 days of hearings spread over 7 months before the final hearing and verdict in May 2009.
Tony, I have a gut feeling that this McCann saga will go the way of Rosa Parks. Not that there is any similarities, whatsoever, between the two cases, but the Rosa Parks case showed how far decent, honest people, who want justice can be pushed.
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20.11.13 21:40

For the record, I haven't been involved in many court cases [Thank you lords - and have been trying to avoid other ones ever since], but none of them took less than 2 years with great intervals. And they were in the [highly efficient ...?] Netherlands.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 20.11.13 22:42

Is it actually relevant how much money Amaral has made from the book? Isn't the case about whether or not what he said was libellous?

Because the judge has asked for this information does that mean that Amaral is may have to pay the McCanns this amount? 

Or is it possible that the judge can award the McCanns part of the money on account of the fact that the MM case can't be proven one way or another (yet)? Is it possible for the judge to order some kind of compromise?

suzyjohnson

Activity : 1542

Back to top Go down

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 34 Empty Libel trial day 9

Post by TMH 20.11.13 22:51

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=2991.msg107153#msg107153

McCann v Gonçalo Amaral Libel Trial in Lisbon - Day 9 

Lisbon - Tuesday 19 Nov 2013

All lawyers are present. VCFilmes/Multimedia's lawyer is substituted by a lawyer who states that she took part in the Providência Cautelar (Injunction hearing).  Witnesses due to testify today are dismissed by defendants TVI, VC and Gonçalo Amaral and will no longer be required to give evidence.

The Judge starts the session by raising the issue of documents requested by the plaintiffs evidencing the value of royalties paid to Gonçalo Amaral. She reminds the Court that G&P's position is that the request is extemporaneous and illegal and that no other payment was received beyond that previously declared to the Court.  One such document relates to a request to Gonçalo Amaral to provide receipts X and Y specific to the period from 17 - 30 October 2008 and from 6 - 30 November 2009. The Judge adds that any others are of no consequence since G&P has proven that no other royalties were paid to Gonçalo Amaral.

The Judge reminds the Court of the principle that when a Party declares to another Party that a requested document does not exist or is not in their possession, the legal remedy is not for the pursuer to make a further request but to prove through whatever means that the respondent is being untruthful.  The Judge therefore grants a request by the plaintiffs that receipts be provided as previously requested since the defender has failed to produce the information sought.

TVI must provide an extract of accounts for the fiscal years 2008, 2009 and 2010 related to VCFilmes and VCMultimédia. They are given 10 days to produce the relevant documents.

The Judge omits partially a request concerning the accounts of VCFilmes, which are limited to the the period from the 7 February 2012 onwards. VC Filmes is also given 10 days to produce the documents.

The Judge reminds the Court that the request by the plaintiffs is related to the search of material facts in order that justice is done. However, she adds that the lawyer representing G&P should consider that if any of the documents requested in the process contain information unrelated to Gonçalo Amaral then that should be maintained apart for commercial and/or fiscal reasons. The defence is therefore authorised to present said documents in the judicial section in order to protect any commercially sensitive information, making only available that which relates to the process concerming the relationship between G&P and Gonçalo Amaral. G&P is given 10 days to respond to the request.

The Judge adds that G&P has already provided indications about the financial aspect of the publication of the book and about the number of books that have been sold.

The Judge finally confirms that the date of the next hearing will be on Wednesday 27 November 2013. The date for the final allegations will then be fixed.

End of session.
TMH
TMH

Activity : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20.11.13 22:52

As I understand it, it's the plaintiffs [McCanns] who have asked this via their lawyer ID.
It is, though, again - as I understand it, normal procedure in a trial involving money claims, but it may [IMO] turn against them .... as IIRC Amaral hasn't been paid his royalties outside of Portugal yet ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TMH 20.11.13 23:05

Châtelaine wrote:As I understand it, it's the plaintiffs [McCanns] who have asked this via their lawyer ID.
It is, though, again - as I understand it, normal procedure in a trial involving money claims, but  it may [IMO] turn against them .... as IIRC Amaral hasn't been paid his royalties outside of Portugal yet ...
 Yes, seems the McCanns have asked for the receipts and the Judge has just up held their request
TMH
TMH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20.11.13 23:23

TMH wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:As I understand it, it's the plaintiffs [McCanns] who have asked this via their lawyer ID.
It is, though, again - as I understand it, normal procedure in a trial involving money claims, but  it may [IMO] turn against them .... as IIRC Amaral hasn't been paid his royalties outside of Portugal yet ...
 Yes, seems the McCanns have asked for the receipts and the Judge has just up held their request
On another note: wouldn't it be nice if TM would finally be asked to provide receipts of the "fund" ... ?

Well, I'm only dreaming and will turn into the silken sheets now to continue that dream .. big grin 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TMH 20.11.13 23:28

Châtelaine wrote:
TMH wrote:
On another note: wouldn't it be nice if TM would finally be asked to provide receipts of the "fund" ... ?

Well, I'm only dreaming and will turn into the silken sheets now to continue that dream .. big grin 
Ooh yes!!! laughat
TMH
TMH

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow 20.11.13 23:29

I'm struggling to see why it is important if either 1 or 1,000,000 books were sold?
notlongnow

Activity : 541

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20.11.13 23:37

The way I see it, TM via ID have been able to seize his house [or part of it], his pension [or part of it], his royalties [IMO only the outstanding royalties abroad] and are looking for his Portuguese royalties, which is as much as ID stated: WHERE is the money ...? You see, they still count on cashing in on this trial. I"m dreaming occasionally. TM has the right to do that too. IMO, of course. I bid you all good night smilie 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 21.11.13 1:09

It might be favorable for Dr. Amaral anyway: ID has been suggesting all these years, and even at the start of this trial, that he is hiding money and profits. I guess after he produces whatever is left to produce he can tell her to stuff it.

(Sorry these lackeys of the McCanns bring out the worse in me.)

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 21.11.13 22:07

Transcript from Day 9 of the libel trial as posted on ukjustice forum and from which an be seen that Dr Amaral is not required to produce any further documents to the court or to the plaintiffs:

McCann v Gonçalo Amaral Libel Trial in Lisbon - Day 9
Lisbon - Tuesday 19 Nov 2013
All lawyers are present. VCFilmes/Multimedia's lawyer is substituted by a lawyer who states that
she took part in the Providência Cautelar (Injunction hearing). Witnesses due to testify today are
dismissed by defendants TVI, VC and Gonçalo Amaral and will no longer be required to give
evidence.
The Judge starts the session by raising the issue of documents requested by the plaintiffs
evidencing the value of royalties paid to Gonçalo Amaral. She reminds the Court that G&P's
position is that the request is extemporaneous and illegal and that no other payment was
received beyond that previously declared to the Court. One such document relates to a request
to Gonçalo Amaral to provide receipts X and Y specific to the period from 17 - 30 October 2008
and from 6 - 30 November 2009. The Judge adds that any others are of no consequence since
G&P has proven that no other royalties were paid to Gonçalo Amaral.
The Judge reminds the Court of the principle that when a Party declares to another Party that a
requested document does not exist or is not in their possession, the legal remedy is not for the
pursuer to make a further request but to prove through whatever means that the respondent is
being untruthful. The Judge therefore grants a request by the plaintiffs that receipts be provided
as previously requested since the defender has failed to produce the information sought.
TVI must provide an extract of accounts for the fiscal years 2008, 2009 and 2010 related to
VCFilmes and VCMultimédia. They are given 10 days to produce the relevant documents.
The Judge omits partially a request concerning the accounts of VCFilmes, which are limited to the
the period from the 7 February 2012 onwards. VC Filmes is also given 10 days to produce the
documents.
The Judge reminds the Court that the request by the plaintiffs is related to the search of material
facts in order that justice is done. However, she adds that the lawyer representing G&P should
consider that if any of the documents requested in the process contain information unrelated to
Gonçalo Amaral then that should be maintained apart for commercial and/or fiscal reasons. The
defence is therefore authorised to present said documents in the judicial section in order to
protect any commercially sensitive information, making only available that which relates to the
process concerming the relationship between G&P and Gonçalo Amaral. G&P is given 10 days to
respond to the request.
The Judge adds that G&P has already provided indications about the financial aspect of the
publication of the book and about the number of books that have been sold.
The Judge finally confirms that the date of the next hearing will be on Wednesday 27 November
2013. The date for the final allegations will then be fixed.
End of session.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 22.11.13 17:31

Am I alone in finding it remarkable that only one UK tabloid has reported the McCanns' spin of Tuesday's court proceedings? 

It seems to me the absence of documentation covering a total of c37 days in 2008 and 2009 is a matter which the plaintiffs would have been aware of some considerable time ago, in which case it's probable Izzy was specifically instructed to make this request on the 19th to provide opportunity for a creative account of the day's events to be fed to the media. 

As TM weren't to know the defence intended to dismiss those witnesses who were scheduled to appear, their canonball has landed like an ineffective damp squib far short of the target.  

I wonder what they've planned for the 27th, but I doubt it will extend to both McCanns appearing in Lisbon.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22.11.13 17:37

I LOVE the expression "damp squid". It is SO visual big grin

I could translate that to Dutch or French, but I won't because they would be staring at me and wonder whether I'd lost it...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 22.11.13 17:44

Châtelaine wrote:I LOVE the expression "damp squid". It is SO visual  big grin

I could translate that to Dutch or French, but I won't because they would be staring at me and wonder whether I'd lost it...
Oh please tell us Châtelaine ! I could so often use that phrase here in France and I'll be travelling to Holland early next year. You never know when these things can come in useful. big grin If you don't, I'll have to go and look them up myself, you've got me interested. spin 
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22.11.13 18:01

bobbin wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:I LOVE the expression "damp squid". It is SO visual  big grin

Oh please tell us Châtelaine ! I could so often use that phrase here in France and I'll be travelling to Holland early next year. You never know when these things can come in useful. big grin If you don't, I'll have to go and look them up myself, you've got me interested. spin 
Sorry, Bobbin, I just noticed that I've always read this expression as being a "damp squid" whereas the expression is a "damp squib". So instead of a wet piece of fireworks, I read it as a damp octopussy ......

Anyway, if you're still interested, the real translation in Dutch would then be "een nat rotje" instead of "een vochtige inktvis" .... I don't know whether to laugh or cry now ... empathy

Whereabouts are you in France? PM me, if you like.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Penfold 22.11.13 21:55

I always marvel at and admire the command of the English language by those of us whose second language it is -and would never dream of mocking anyone's phrases etc, but I must admit that a "damp squid" had me laughing. Thanks -I needed a laugh.airkiss
Penfold

Activity : 144

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 22.11.13 22:05

Penfold wrote:I always marvel at and admire the command of the English language by those of us whose second language it is -and would never dream of mocking anyone's phrases etc, but I must admit that a "damp squid" had me laughing. Thanks -I needed a laugh.airkiss
I am always in awe of true polyglots. What I find very amusing is those who speak only English and pretend to come from foreign lands when they write....Pedro Silva springs to mind.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13387

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22.11.13 22:07

Penfold wrote:I always marvel at and admire the command of the English language by those of us whose second language it is -and would never dream of mocking anyone's phrases etc, but I must admit that a "damp squid" had me laughing. Thanks -I needed a laugh.airkiss
You're most welcome to laugh at me, Penfold blushing1 
To be honest [sorry, Kate] , I had a big laugh at it myself too.
Having said that, I am still in favour of my image of a damp squid. And I will u-u-use it ....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 22.11.13 22:11

Châtelaine wrote:
You're most welcome to laugh at me, Penfold  blushing1 
To be honest [sorry, Kate] , I had a big laugh at it myself too.
Having said that, I am still in favour of my image of a damp squid. And I will u-u-use it ....
I have to go and pick up damp squibs out of my garden tomorrow. Between Guy Fawkes night and dewali I'm surprised there's a bloomin dog or cat here in good psychological shape.

Thank you Chatelaine, because tomorrow I'll chuckle when I pick up the squids.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 22.11.13 22:23

The Lisbon libel trial resumes on 27th November. That's Wednesday of this coming week. Remember that this libel trial is something that has taken around four years to bring to court and the outcome may take a little while longer BUT it is in a court of law, it is being heard, it will be judged. A positive outcome in this libel suit is probably more important to the McCanns than it is to Goncalo Amaral. If GA loses he loses. He'll live to fight another day. If TM lose then they lose more than money.

Just my opinion of course.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 22.11.13 22:35

aquila wrote:The Lisbon libel trial resumes on 27th November. That's Wednesday of this coming week. Remember that this libel trial is something that has taken around four years to bring to court and the outcome may take a little while longer BUT it is in a court of law, it is being heard, it will be judged. A positive outcome in this libel suit is probably more important to the McCanns than it is to Goncalo Amaral. If GA loses he loses. He'll live to fight another day. If TM lose then they lose more than money.

An acute observation aquila, and for me, it brings a positive note. We need encouragement to stay the journey. friends 
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22.11.13 23:11

bobbin wrote:
aquila wrote:The Lisbon libel trial resumes on 27th November. That's Wednesday of this coming week. Remember that this libel trial is something that has taken around four years to bring to court and the outcome may take a little while longer BUT it is in a court of law, it is being heard, it will be judged. A positive outcome in this libel suit is probably more important to the McCanns than it is to Goncalo Amaral. If GA loses he loses. He'll live to fight another day. If TM lose then they lose more than money.

An acute observation aquila, and for me, it brings a positive note. We need encouragement to stay the journey. friends 
May I join you ... ? friends 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KayHill 23.11.13 22:25

bobbin wrote:

People need encouragement and hope Amaral wins the trial? I thought this was about hoping for Madeleine to be found. Some would probably not be very happy if she was and her parents had nothing to do with her disappearance.
KayHill

Activity : 10

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top