The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 29 Mm11

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 29 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 29 Mm11

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 29 Regist10

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE   - Page 29 Empty Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Liz Eagles 18.11.13 14:31

Over The Hill wrote:
worriedmum wrote:OTH you are giving me the impression of someone galloping round in circles at a fairground ,shooting off fusillades willy-nilly in the hope of hitting something, anything really*.  The main thing that comes across to me is that IMO you are  really annoyed about the Gaspar statements...
* so far you have won a goldfish
Well worriedmum, you are wrong all counts, which doesn't give you much hope of solving what happened to Maddie. And at least I don't post spiteful comments about other contributors
No offence here, but what have your posts got to do with the Libel Trial?

This is about McCanns v Amaral.

This is the important one for me as this is the trial that has taken so many years to actually get to court.

NEVER forget there is a libel trial going on. Keep the focus on that.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13382

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum 18.11.13 14:35

aquila wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
worriedmum wrote:OTH you are giving me the impression of someone galloping round in circles at a fairground ,shooting off fusillades willy-nilly in the hope of hitting something, anything really*.  The main thing that comes across to me is that IMO you are  really annoyed about the Gaspar statements...
* so far you have won a goldfish
Well worriedmum, you are wrong all counts, which doesn't give you much hope of solving what happened to Maddie. And at least I don't post spiteful comments about other contributors
No offence here, but what have your posts got to do with the Libel Trial?

This is the important one for me as this is the trial that has taken so many years to actually get to court.

Yes Aquila, sorry you are right. This is a distraction.
worriedmum
worriedmum

Activity : 2819

Back to top Go down

Post by Over The Hill 18.11.13 14:41

aquila wrote:No offence here, but what have your posts got to do with the Libel Trial?

Aquila, I apologised a few posts back for this getting a bit off topic, but when other posters pick up on things you have said it would be rude not to reply. I made one simple point about the link between the trial, the book and the police's decision to make the witness statements public, and was bombarded with questions

As I said back there, the relevance to the libel trial is that the issue of truth will be at the centre of it, because (in contrast to a libel trial in England) the McCanns have to prove (a) that things that Amaral has said in the book are untrue and (b) that they have suffered damage as a result (eg they say the search was hindered). So everything that's in the book is relevant, including the Smith sighting and the Gaspar statements

But I agree, we should get back to the legal issues that will come up in court because that's what really interests me
Over The Hill

Activity : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 18.11.13 14:48

Over The Hill wrote:
aquila wrote:No offence here, but what have your posts got to do with the Libel Trial?

Aquila, I apologised a few posts back for this getting a bit off topic, but when other posters pick up on things you have said it would be rude not to reply. I made one simple point about the link between the trial, the book and the police's decision to make the witness statements public, and was bombarded with questions

As I said back there, the relevance to the libel trial is that the issue of truth will be at the centre of it, because the McCanns have to prove (a) that things that Amaral has said in the book are untrue and (b) that they have suffered damage as a result (eg they say the search was hindered). So everything that's in the book is relevant, including the Smith sighting and the Gaspar statements

But I agree, we should get back to legal issues that will come up in court because that's what really interests me
This libel trial has nothing to do with the truth. It is about the content of the suit. It has nothing to do with Madeleine or finding out what happened to her. It's also been served in Portugal under Portuguese law.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 18.11.13 14:51

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the McCann's wanting to drop the Libel charge against Mr. Amaral, but he wanted to go ahead with it all? Just something i read on another article last week.

Activity : 2154

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 18.11.13 14:54

aquila wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:

As I said back there, the relevance to the libel trial is that the issue of truth will be at the centre of it, because the McCanns have to prove (a) that things that Amaral has said in the book are untrue and (b) that they have suffered damage as a result (eg they say the search was hindered). So everything that's in the book is relevant, including the Smith sighting and the Gaspar statements

But I agree, we should get back to legal issues that will come up in court because that's what really interests me
This libel trial has nothing to do with the truth. It is about the content of the suit. It has nothing to do with Madeleine or finding out what happened to her. It's also been served in Portugal under Portuguese law.
Exactly. Its a Civil Suit isn't it? The other stuff would pertain to a criminal Trial i would think?
Joss
Joss

Back to top Go down

Post by Over The Hill 18.11.13 14:56

aquila wrote:This libel trial has nothing to do with the truth. It is about the content of the suit. It has nothing to do with Madeleine or finding out what happened to her. It's also been served in Portugal under Portuguese law.
Truth is a central feature of any libel case, otherwise it wouldn't be a libel case. The issue of personal hurt and damage to the search have been cited as key arguments, but the prosecution still has to demonstrate that points in Amaral's book are either untrue, or that it wasn't reasonable to make them on the basis of the evidence
Over The Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 18.11.13 14:59

Over The Hill wrote:
aquila wrote:This libel trial has nothing to do with the truth. It is about the content of the suit. It has nothing to do with Madeleine or finding out what happened to her. It's also been served in Portugal under Portuguese law.
Truth is a central feature of any libel case, otherwise it wouldn't be a libel case. The issue of personal hurt and damage to the search have been cited as key arguments, but the prosecution still has to demonstrate that points in Amaral's book are either untrue, or that it wasn't reasonable to make them on the basis of the evidence
I'm happy to leave these things to the Portuguese Court and not pontificate on things outside that.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 18.11.13 15:01

Over The Hill wrote:
I think all they have to figure out in the Libel Trial is if in fact Mr. Amaral libeled the McCann's in any way isn't it?
And my personal opinion is that he didn't.
He was the lead Investigator initially and wrote about his findings and his personal impressions about it all. Nothing wrong with that, it is in the PJ files and supported by the other police officers on his team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 18.11.13 15:02

aquila wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
I'm happy to leave these things to the Portuguese Court and not pontificate on things outside that.
aquila, Yes i think i will leave it to the experts on the case too,smilie
Joss
Joss

Back to top Go down

Post by Over The Hill 18.11.13 15:48

Indeed, let's do just that then
Over The Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by currio 18.11.13 16:16

Joss wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
I think all they have to figure out in the Libel Trial is if in fact Mr. Amaral libeled the McCann's in any way isn't it?
He was the lead Investigator initially and wrote about his findings and his personal impressions about it all. Nothing wrong with that, it is in the PJ files and supported by the other police officers on his team.
But to throw a spanner into the works, ..... why was he expelled? ppcorn
currio

Activity : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 18.11.13 17:27

currio wrote:
Joss wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
Dr. Amaral refused to compromise the truth to which he got too close.
The McCs and their supporting entourage clearly believed that they could manipulate the truth to suit themselves but have subsequently discovered that Dr. Amaral is not only intelligent, upright and steadfast but will also not bend under pressure.
He has behaved with dignity at all times, even with compassion.
This, placed in juxtaposition with the McCs and their inconsistencies, their lying and vexatious harassment of Dr. Amaral show them for what they are.
Portugal has been insulted in every way possible, I believe now that Portugal will show the McCs where true dignity lies.
The McCs and their entourage caused Dr. Amaral to be 'removed'.
In so doing, he became freed to take the route he has now taken.
His book, intelligent, mindful of all the legal issues, is the result.
The libel court case is the direct result of the McCs abysmal greed, arrogant self-belief and stupidity.
They sewed a wind, they will reap the whirlwind.
Força Portugal, Força Gonçalo Amaral.
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 18.11.13 17:37

Þ
bobbin wrote:
currio wrote:
Joss wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
The McCs and their supporting entourage clearly believed that they could manipulate the truth to suit themselves but have subsequently discovered that Dr. Amaral is not only intelligent, upright and steadfast but will also not bend under pressure.
This, placed in juxtaposition with the McCs and their inconsistencies, their lying and vexatious harassment of Dr. Amaral show them for what they are.
Portugal has been insulted in every way possible, I believe now that Portugal will show the McCs where true dignity lies.
The libel court case is the direct result of the McCs abysmal greed, arrogant self-belief and stupidity.

Bobbin, clapping   Well said.
sami

Activity : 1019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell 18.11.13 17:43

Joss wrote:Does anyone know if there is any truth to the McCann's wanting to drop the Libel charge against Mr. Amaral, but he wanted to go ahead with it all? Just something i read on another article last week.
I don't know how far behind I am with this thread Joss, and you may have had a reply.  The case was due to go to Court in January this year but was postponed for 6 months in order for the parties to negotiate a settlement.  It seems the McCanns were prepared to offer almost anything to settle, but Goncalo Amaral insisted on going to Court.  Quite right too.  As he put so eloquently, The world should know the truth of the lie.
Cristobell

Activity : 2552

Back to top Go down

Post by currio 18.11.13 18:09

bobbin wrote:
currio wrote:
Joss wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
Yet, if someone had the power to 'remove' him to prevent the truth emerging...who knows that same power is still not in control...
I'm sure I read here on this forum that T Blair knew he was being sacked before he did.
currio

Activity : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by petunia 18.11.13 19:53

bobbin clappingclappingclapping
petunia

Activity : 607

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 19.11.13 9:25

currio wrote:
Joss wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:
 I read it was because he said stuff about the UK PD?
Joss
Joss

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 19.11.13 9:27

Cristobell wrote:
Joss wrote:Does anyone know if there is any truth to the McCann's wanting to drop the Libel charge against Mr. Amaral, but he wanted to go ahead with it all? Just something i read on another article last week.
I don't know how far behind I am with this thread Joss, and you may have had a reply.  The case was due to go to Court in January this year but was postponed for 6 months in order for the parties to negotiate a settlement.  It seems the McCanns were prepared to offer almost anything to settle, but Goncalo Amaral insisted on going to Court.  Quite right too.  As he put so eloquently, The world should know the truth of the lie.
Christobell, Thankyou very much for the clarification. And great reply by Mr. Amaral.
Joss
Joss

Back to top Go down

Post by joyce1938 19.11.13 9:32

I think ,mr amaral wasn't sacked ,but removed to the faro branchm he I believe himself ,decided that the only way he could tell the truth of his and liecs police  they had agreed with findings too well he decided to leave and later wrote his book that was legal in prtugal as the case was shelved,so I think he was sacked is wrong .joyce1938
joyce1938
joyce1938

Activity : 1013

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 19.11.13 9:34

Expelled from what ?  As I understand it, Snr Amaral was removed from the investigation in question and later resigned, no ?
sami

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19.11.13 9:39

joyce1938 wrote:I think ,mr amaral wasn't sacked ,but removed to the faro branchm he I believe himself ,decided that the only way he could tell the truth of his and liecs police  they had agreed with findings too well he decided to leave and later wrote his book that was legal in prtugal as the case was shelved,so I think he was sacked is wrong .joyce1938
Quite right, GA's book chapter 21 is worth a read
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 19.11.13 10:37

Is there something going on in Portugal today? So many on Twitter wishing Dr Amaral "all the best for today".
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryB 19.11.13 10:59

I think I read the next trial date was the 19th which is today.  Maybe we could have a new thread for this as some people might not know about it.
MaryB
MaryB

Activity : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 19.11.13 11:01

I think the next date was decided to be 27th November and the twitter references are confused.
sami

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top