The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

The forthcoming trial

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The forthcoming trial

Post by sans_souci on 04.12.09 13:08

I thought maybe this deserves its own thread, and I hope posters here will forgive my presumption. A few questions or predictions. I would be fascinated to hear others views on this.

1 First of all, is it simply an appeal, or is it the full libel trial? Any ideas?

2 It has been widely predicted in another place that the McCanns are bluffing and will withdraw the action. Any thoughts on this?

3 It is also widely predicted that if the trial goes head, the McCanns will not appear, or if they do it is because they have been ordered to.

4 Again, if the trial goes ahead, what are Amarals chances of winning?

sans_souci

Posts : 58
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A fair fight

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 16:10

@sans_souci wrote:I thought maybe this deserves its own thread, and I hope posters here will forgive my presumption. A few questions or predictions. I would be fascinated to hear others views on this.

1 First of all, is it simply an appeal, or is it the full libel trial? Any ideas?

2 It has been widely predicted in another place that the McCanns are bluffing and will withdraw the action. Any thoughts on this?

3 It is also widely predicted that if the trial goes head, the McCanns will not appear, or if they do it is because they have been ordered to.

4 Again, if the trial goes ahead, what are Amarals chances of winning?

Hello sans-souci.Let me repeat what I've posted elsewhere: that in making a contribution to the amaral defence fund, despite your disagreement with virtually everything he has ever said, you have shown a spirit that I wish was more often followed.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but judging by the statement amaral has released - posted on the MF site and elsewhere - he looks like he will stick it out to the end.

BTW, are you not at all troubled at the filth thrown at amaral on the pro sites? When one considers that he was only in actual charge of the case for three days how would any ethical or procedural shortcomings he might have possessed have affected the McCanns?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

It all depends on the degree of political interference

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.12.09 16:11

@sans_souci wrote:I thought maybe this deserves its own thread, and I hope posters here will forgive my presumption. A few questions or predictions. I would be fascinated to hear others views on this.

1 First of all, is it simply an appeal, or is it the full libel trial? Any ideas?

2 It has been widely predicted in another place that the McCanns are bluffing and will withdraw the action. Any thoughts on this?

3 It is also widely predicted that if the trial goes head, the McCanns will not appear, or if they do it is because they have been ordered to.

4 Again, if the trial goes ahead, what are Amarals chances of winning?
If, as has been reported, the McCanns are to fly to Portugal on 11 December to witness the start of the trial, then that would tell me that, like the previous court case at which he was wrongly found guilty of making a false statement, the whole thing has been stitched up by the Portuguese establishment.

If however he is to have a fair hearing without political interference, I am sure he will win and strike a blow for freedom of expression across the European Union.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13975
Reputation : 2147
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by sans_souci on 04.12.09 16:57

smith wrote:
@sans_souci wrote:I thought maybe this deserves its own thread, and I hope posters here will forgive my presumption. A few questions or predictions. I would be fascinated to hear others views on this.

1 First of all, is it simply an appeal, or is it the full libel trial? Any ideas?

2 It has been widely predicted in another place that the McCanns are bluffing and will withdraw the action. Any thoughts on this?

3 It is also widely predicted that if the trial goes head, the McCanns will not appear, or if they do it is because they have been ordered to.

4 Again, if the trial goes ahead, what are Amarals chances of winning?

Hello sans-souci.Let me repeat what I've posted elsewhere: that in making a contribution to the amaral defence fund, despite your disagreement with virtually everything he has ever said, you have shown a spirit that I wish was more often followed.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but judging by the statement amaral has released - posted on the MF site and elsewhere - he looks like he will stick it out to the end.

BTW, are you not at all troubled at the filth thrown at amaral on the pro sites? When one considers that he was only in actual charge of the case for three days how would any ethical or procedural shortcomings he might have possessed have affected the McCanns?

Three days? Really? Are you sure?

As for the commenst made about Amaral on the "pro" sites, I agree that some are out of court, but some are perfectly justified. In the same way as much of the comment about the McCanns and others involved in the case made on "anti" sites is equally unacceptable.

I am puzzled by the apparent airbrushing of him on certain sites - I prefer plain unvarnished truth, to be honest - not denial of perfectly self evident facts. He is, I assume, a grown up with virtues and flaws.

As you say, I fundamentally disagree with almost everything he has done, but defend his right to a fair and proper defence.

sans_souci

Posts : 58
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by sans_souci on 04.12.09 17:00

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@sans_souci wrote:I thought maybe this deserves its own thread, and I hope posters here will forgive my presumption. A few questions or predictions. I would be fascinated to hear others views on this.

1 First of all, is it simply an appeal, or is it the full libel trial? Any ideas?

2 It has been widely predicted in another place that the McCanns are bluffing and will withdraw the action. Any thoughts on this?

3 It is also widely predicted that if the trial goes head, the McCanns will not appear, or if they do it is because they have been ordered to.

4 Again, if the trial goes ahead, what are Amarals chances of winning?
If, as has been reported, the McCanns are to fly to Portugal on 11 December to witness the start of the trial, then that would tell me that, like the previous court case at which he was wrongly found guilty of making a false statement, the whole thing has been stitched up by the Portuguese establishment.

If however he is to have a fair hearing without political interference, I am sure he will win and strike a blow for freedom of expression across the European Union.

Mr Bennett that is truly pathetic. So you are saying that if he wins it is because he has been able to put his case, but if he loses it is because of political interference. Frankly, it does not say much for your opinion of the Portuguese justice system, and speaks volumes for your prejudicial attitude. Interesting mindset for a lawyer, even a retired one.

sans_souci

Posts : 58
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 17:10

Oh My.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Remember Casa Pia?

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.12.09 17:30

@sans_souci wrote:Mr Bennett that is truly pathetic. So you are saying that if he wins it is because he has been able to put his case, but if he loses it is because of political interference. Frankly, it does not say much for your opinion of the Portuguese justice system...
Too true. Remember the Portuguese MPs who escaped justice in the Casa Pia case?

You don't?

Then here's a reminder (or two):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-reeling-over-child-sex-abuse-scandal-540811.html

http://www.the-news.net/cgi-bin/article.pl?id=757-8

The Portuguese justice system let high level paedophiles get away with their unspeakable crimes against children.

Unless the Portuguese judiciary are cleared of corrupt judges, the same could happen again one day.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13975
Reputation : 2147
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Remember Casa Pia

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.12.09 17:35

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@sans_souci wrote:Mr Bennett that is truly pathetic. So you are saying that if he wins it is because he has been able to put his case, but if he loses it is because of political interference. Frankly, it does not say much for your opinion of the Portuguese justice system...
Too true. Remember the Portuguese MPs who escaped justice in the Casa Pia case?

You don't?

Then here's a reminder (or three):


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Pia_child_sexual_abuse_scandal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-reeling-over-child-sex-abuse-scandal-540811.html

http://www.the-news.net/cgi-bin/article.pl?id=757-8

The Portuguese justice system let high level paedophiles get away with their unspeakable crimes against children.

Unless the Portuguese judiciary are cleared of corrupt judges, the same could happen again one day

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13975
Reputation : 2147
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

GA's role

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 17:35

"Three days? Really? Are you sure?"

Check. He was in charge at the very beginning but, as you know, he didn't attend with the other officers in the initial stages. Within days he was informed that the PJ head himself was taking charge of the case and he was subordinated to him.

The issue is, as it always has been, simple: did Amaral have the power and opportunity to influence the case decisively in the way suggested by his enemies? Forget whether he's good bad or not.

IMO he did not. If he did not then character assassination makes not a whit of difference to the case for and against the parents.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by sans_souci on 04.12.09 18:05

Well I am truly gobsmacked. I was under the impression that he was the senior investigating officer, and that is what he thought lent some credence to his book.

But if he was merely a flunky doing someone elses bidding, well, I most humbly apologise to him.

sans_souci

Posts : 58
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 18:10

I'm amazed, I thought it was because he was the officer in charge, at least for a few months that was why he felt justified in writing a book based on the evidence up until his dismissal.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by sans_souci on 04.12.09 18:21

clarity wrote:I'm amazed, I thought it was because he was the officer in charge, at least for a few months that was why he felt justified in writing a book based on the evidence up until his dismissal.

I think all of those who bought it, or bought into the ideas, should demand a refund. They wanted a book written by the mechanic, not the oily rag.

sans_souci

Posts : 58
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 18:50

Oh dear, he was only in charge for three days? Those first days when most of the mistakes were made, like no thorough forensic examination of the apartment, no seizure of Madeleine's clothes, CuddleCat, the bed linen?
So why did he get sacked in stead of his superior?

Oh and is he lying when he writes in his book (chapter 1)

"It is time for the story to be told by the one who was responsible for its operational coordination and who lived it intensely in the company of men and women who constitute the élite of the police judiciaire."

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Old Nick on 04.12.09 18:58

Amaral (like dogs) never lies.

Old Nick

Posts : 154
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 50
Location : Hades

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Limoncello on 04.12.09 19:07

Tony (like Amaral) never lies

Limoncello

Posts : 48
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-04
Location : Mount Olympus

View user profile http://www.light and air

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by preciousramotswe on 04.12.09 19:20

Why is it that Morais and her crowd are raising money for Amaral when it is reported in today's Portuguese press, from his lawyer's own mouth, that he is representing him pro bono?

What exactly are they collecting money for?
He should be able to find the 5 grand court fees easily, he has an income far higher than most Portuguese people even after spending large sums on a lavish birthday party.

I got banned from her site just for asking that.

preciousramotswe

Posts : 269
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 19:23

badmanners wrote:Why is it that Morais and her crowd are raising money for Amaral when it is reported in today's Portuguese press, from his lawyer's own mouth, that he is representing him pro bono?

What exactly are they collecting money for?
He should be able to find the 5 grand court fees easily, he has an income far higher than most Portuguese people even after spending large sums on a lavish birthday party.

I got banned from her site just for asking that.

I haven't a clue what all the money is about, the man had a good job and he made a fortune abusing the memory and the fate of Madeleine, the man is minted, why on earth does he need more, I hate greed.

You can't ask anything on Morais site, she is very particular about controlling what is said there, I don't think she understands the concept of free speech.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by scampi on 04.12.09 19:43

Aw C'mon now. You don't begrudge the man a few drinks with his mistress and petrol for his jag.? big grin Afterall it is Christmas time.

scampi

Posts : 102
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 19:52

@scampi wrote:Aw C'mon now. You don't begrudge the man a few drinks with his mistress and petrol for his jag.? big grin Afterall it is Christmas time.

And then he's got to pay for Jaoa's Christmas Dinner.

Unless he's in there with him.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 19:59

A pity those poor pensioners who gave him money can't ask for a refund to buy themselves or their loved ones Christmas presents. Wonder if GA's wife and children go out to do Christmas shopping.
If Jo knew that lawyer is working pro bono, she's been conning people to donate.
The only honorable way for Jo to act now, is to offer a refund or donate that money immediately to an official children's charity. A charity that's NOT controlled by or related to any of GA's friends.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 20:03

@Cath wrote:A pity those poor pensioners who gave him money can't ask for a refund to buy themselves or their loved ones Christmas presents. Wonder if GA's wife and children go out to do Christmas shopping.
If Jo knew that lawyer is working pro bono, she's been conning people to donate.
The only honorable way for Jo to act now, is to offer a refund or donate that money immediately to an official children's charity. A charity that's NOT controlled by or related to any of GA's friends.

Who's going to be brave enough to ask for a refund, he knows their personal details now, not the sort of man one would want knowing stuff!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 20:26

clarity wrote:Who's going to be brave enough to ask for a refund, he knows their personal details now, not the sort of man one would want knowing stuff!

Indeed, it seems he's got quite a temper and can become violent.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 20:28

@Cath wrote:
clarity wrote:Who's going to be brave enough to ask for a refund, he knows their personal details now, not the sort of man one would want knowing stuff!

Indeed, it seems he's got quite a temper and can become violent.

So it is alleged, and we know he has no compunction about acting outside the law.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 20:37

clarity wrote:
@Cath wrote:
clarity wrote:Who's going to be brave enough to ask for a refund, he knows their personal details now, not the sort of man one would want knowing stuff!

Indeed, it seems he's got quite a temper and can become violent.

So it is alleged, and we know he has no compunction about acting outside the law.

I wonder if he'll come after me if I don't donate. I only live up the road a bit. I shan't sleep tonight for worrying about it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The forthcoming trial

Post by Guest on 04.12.09 20:39

clarity wrote:
@Cath wrote:
clarity wrote:Who's going to be brave enough to ask for a refund, he knows their personal details now, not the sort of man one would want knowing stuff!

Indeed, it seems he's got quite a temper and can become violent.

So it is alleged, and we know he has no compunction about acting outside the law.

Indeed, he's got a conviction for a criminal offense. Quite unusual for a cop.

ETA Sabot as long as you're anonymous, you're safe I guess. Hope. May be.. big grin

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum