The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

So suspicious... Mm11

So suspicious... Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

So suspicious... Mm11

So suspicious... Regist10

So suspicious...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So suspicious... Empty So suspicious...

Post by Okeydokey 02.12.13 0:25

I've mentioned this before but I have to say I find this dearth of news in the UK media incredibly suspicious.

All the news titles like to increase their circulation (especially in an era of steep decline in sales)  and anyone can see from the BBC News "most popular" lists that the Madeleine McCann mystery continues to command huge attention from the people of the UK. But how many stories have there been in the last 10 days? Virtually nothing.  And that's despite the Crimewatch update.

WTF is going on? I have no idea but there must be an element of editorial self-censorship or Carter-F***ing or superinjunction censorship because this deathly silence is just not natural for the media.

And there is plenty to write about if they wish - even if they just want to give it the usual McCann hot wash spin.

The silence makes no sense at all!
Okeydokey

Activity : 1013

Back to top Go down

So suspicious... Empty Re: So suspicious...

Post by ultimaThule 02.12.13 1:05

The recent silence of the press compared to previous blanket coverage makes sense to me.

Similar phenomena has been observed on past occasions when the police are close to arresting suspects in high profile cases as the media have no intention of jeopardising the proceedings and prejudicing the outcome of any subsequent trial(s).  

I'm also unsurprised by the complete absence of any mention on Crimewatch and in the UK press of David Payne, whose name has been given considerable prominence in the recent Portuguese tv 'reconstructions'.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by saltnpepper 02.12.13 1:10

Is it possible IF the 12 UK Persons Of Interest, that has made the review become a full investigation, become suspects... the arrests charge & trial could be on UK soil?

Is that a good enough reason for the media to play the game? Has there ever been cases where the police & media have worked in close collaboration?
saltnpepper
saltnpepper

Activity : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey 02.12.13 2:05

ultimaThule wrote:The recent silence of the press compared to previous blanket coverage makes sense to me.

Similar phenomena has been observed on past occasions when the police are close to arresting suspects in high profile cases as the media have no intention of jeopardising the proceedings and prejudicing the outcome of any subsequent trial(s).  

I'm also unsurprised by the complete absence of any mention on Crimewatch and in the UK press of David Payne, whose name has been given considerable prominence in the recent Portuguese tv 'reconstructions'.
Interesting comments. I long ago gave up belief in UK justice but if I am to be proved wrong, I will be most pleasantly surprised! :)  This is essentially a Portugese case  - they wouldn't be prejudiced by anything said in the UK Media.
Okeydokey

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey 02.12.13 2:08

saltnpepper wrote:Is it possible IF the 12 UK Persons Of Interest, that has made the review become a full investigation, become suspects... the arrests charge & trial could be on UK soil?

Is that a good enough reason for the media to play the game? Has there ever been cases where the police & media have worked in close collaboration?
If you look at what has been written about the Maoist Cult/Slavery case in London you will realise that there are absolutely no consistent rules about sub judice in the UK (in this we are not alone - the Portugese rules on "judicial secrecy" seem to be equally flexible).
Okeydokey

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 02.12.13 2:56

saltnpepper wrote:Is it possible IF the 12 UK Persons Of Interest, that has made the review become a full investigation, become suspects... the arrests charge & trial could be on UK soil?

I am confident that, unless they are nationals of another country, there will be no bar to bringing those responsible for the disappearance of Madeleine McCann to account in the UK.

Although 'close collaboration' may be something of an overstatement, it's not uncommon for the police and the media to be of use to each other as evidenced by there having been numerous occasions when the police have thanked the press for their forebearance and for their assistance.  

Fwiw, IME certain classes of the criminal underworld are known to leave no stone unturned when it comes to apprehending the perpetrators of crimes against children and I have no doubt the police and the media, both in the UK and in Portugal, have been given valuable information by sources who prefer to remain anonymous.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 02.12.13 3:43

Okeydokey wrote:If you look at what has been written about the Maoist Cult/Slavery case in London you will realise that there are absolutely no consistent rules about sub judice in the UK (in this we are not alone - the Portugese rules on "judicial secrecy" seem to be equally flexible).
In the case to which you refer, 2 suspects were arrested 'on suspicion of' committing a number of offences and have been given police bail to re-appear on a future date at which time they may be charged, or their current bail conditions may be extended or set again under the same or less or more restrictive terms. 

The rule of sub judice regulates the publication of matters which are under active consideration by a court of law.  If these particular suspects are charged and remanded on bail or in custody by a criminal court, sub judice will apply until such time as a verdict is given as to their guilt or innocence.  

As the alleged offences would appear to a large degree to be historic, and as it appears the suspects have lived at a number of addresses since first arriving in the UK, it can only aid any police investigation for certain details to be made public in the hope that witnesses or other victims will come forward, but you can rest assured that the MSM are well aware of what information could be considered to be contempt of court if published and it's highly unlikely that any of them will step over the line.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 02.12.13 3:51

I wrote:  I'm also unsurprised by the complete absence of any mention on Crimewatch and in the UK press of David Payne, whose name has been given considerable prominence in the recent Portuguese tv 'reconstructions'.

You wrote:  This is essentially a Portugese case  - they wouldn't be prejudiced by anything said in the UK Media.

Can you see why this is not essentially or even necessarily 'a Portuguese case', okeydokey? winkwink
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas 02.12.13 10:09

ultimaThule wrote:I wrote:  I'm also unsurprised by the complete absence of any mention on Crimewatch and in the UK press of David Payne, whose name has been given considerable prominence in the recent Portuguese tv 'reconstructions'.

You wrote:  This is essentially a Portugese case  - they wouldn't be prejudiced by anything said in the UK Media.

Can you see why this is not essentially or even necessarily 'a Portuguese case', okeydokey? winkwink
And presumably the appeal to the PJ to formally connect the two ends of the investigation under EU provision is a kind of a sledgehammer to the pin hammer of simply asking for a spot of cooperative steering of the enquiry and would be the best suited means of shifting the location, as it were, of the body of evidence from localised to delocalised in order to prosecute a collaborative case without tripping over any jurisdictional guide ropes?
Veritas

Activity : 88

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 02.12.13 20:24

scratchhead Are you saying that Thor's hammer crushes mountains, Veritas?
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum