The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Liars look to their Right Mm11

Liars look to their Right Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Liars look to their Right Mm11

Liars look to their Right Regist10

Liars look to their Right

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Liars look to their Right Empty Liars look to their Right

Post by Ciawoman 13.08.12 19:45

I was watching a TV show that stated liars look to their Right as that is the creative side of the brain. I don't know if it is really true or not but my son told me it was a known fact.

So I looked up the McCann's first interview ans found the first minute interesting

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ciawoman
Ciawoman

Activity : 77

Back to top Go down

Liars look to their Right Empty Re: Liars look to their Right

Post by tigger 13.08.12 22:06

Ghosh! Well observed and they're flicking to the right all the time, yet not looking at anything in particular.

Hello and welcome, but ... it's confusing as you have the same avatar as Bobsy - perhaps you could change it? roses

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina 13.08.12 22:12

tigger wrote:Ghosh! Well observed and they're flicking to the right all the time, yet not looking at anything in particular.

Hello and welcome, but ... it's confusing as you have the same avatar as Bobsy - perhaps you could change it? roses

Welcome and a good video, you just cannot alter your natural responses and they are a delight to watch Mrs

Activity : 3218

Back to top Go down

Post by petesdog 13.08.12 23:31

Looking to the right suggests the person is constructing an image (eyes up and right) or an auditory construc (up and straight). There are surpisingly few mccann interviews where they are asked to recall/talk about the actual events (lots on the aftermath). So this first interview is one of the few times they talk about it and it does suggest a constructed image. Compare similar eye patterns in the recent stuart hazell ITN interview when asked about last time he saw Tia.
petesdog

Activity : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom 13.08.12 23:47

tigger wrote:Ghosh! Well observed and they're flicking to the right all the time, yet not looking at anything in particular.

Hello and welcome, but ... it's confusing as you have the same avatar as Bobsy - perhaps you could change it? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hello and welcome, you have the same avatar as me also (tuom) ...
tuom
tuom

Activity : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciawoman 14.08.12 15:18

tuom wrote:

Hello and welcome, but ... it's confusing as you have the same avatar as Bobsy - perhaps you could change it? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hello and welcome, you have the same avatar as me also (tuom) ...

Will Change it now sorry big grin
Ciawoman
Ciawoman

Activity : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 14.08.12 17:12

Wow! super avatar!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 14.08.12 18:11

tigger wrote:Wow! super avatar!

sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but I had always thought that looking down and to the left meant 'lying'.
So I googled it. It seems to go both ways according to whose word it is.
Perhaps normally, right-handed people look down and to the left, but Kate is possibly left-handed so looking down to her right might be the equivalent.
I have tried to simulate lying, being right-handed, and definitely would feel most comfortable, with my lie, looking down to the left.
If I am trying to recall something I go up to the right, but looking down to my right, I feel I'm expressing ...nah, I don't believe that...

Is there a rule, a recognised stance, or what .....
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by aquarius2 14.08.12 18:26

bobbin wrote:
sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but I had always thought that looking down and to the left meant 'lying'.
Perhaps normally, right-handed people look down and to the left, but Kate is possibly left-handed so looking down to her right might be the equivalent.
I have tried to simulate lying, being right-handed, and definitely would feel most comfortable, with my lie, looking down to the left.
If I am trying to recall something I go up to the right, but looking down to my right, I feel I'm expressing ...nah, I don't believe that...

The eye-movement thing comes from NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming) which has it's uses but I wouldn't put too much faith in it as far as criminal investigation goes. Also the notion that "right-brain" is creative and the left brain is "rational" is the sort of erroneous over-simplification which has neuro-scientists shrieking in fury when they see it in a newspaper or magazine. A very recent research paper has just been published debunking some of the claims about eye-movement and lie detection (see link below).

P.S I'm a research Psychologist and have done some NLP training (out of interest)
aquarius2
aquarius2

Activity : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 14.08.12 20:33

aquarius2 wrote:
bobbin wrote:

The eye-movement thing comes from NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming) which has it's uses but I wouldn't put too much faith in it as far as criminal investigation goes. Also the notion that "right-brain" is creative and the left brain is "rational" is the sort of erroneous over-simplification which has neuro-scientists shrieking in fury when they see it in a newspaper or magazine. A very recent research paper has just been published debunking some of the claims about eye-movement and lie detection (see link below).

P.S I'm a research Psychologist and have done some NLP training (out of interest)

I read this article a few weeks ago. I would still agree that the eye movements of both the mcCanns in the above clip are textbook behaviour.
Of course there are exceptions and perhaps this phenomenon is only 70% true. Gerry's classic nervous movements in the earlier videos were eventually suppressed, although he still has more trouble with his body language and facial expressions than Kate, who seems to have none. Sometimes I'm even looking for someone who's pulling her strings she so wooden. That's why I call them Wallace and Grommit.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquarius2 14.08.12 20:43

The Overall body language/non verbal behaviour is pretty horrifying (the Kate sneer, the Gerry masked smile) that's part of a bigger issue than the narrow (and much less credible) issue of direction of gaze and deception put down in the Wiseman & colleagues article.

I'd love to know what someone like Paul Ekman would make of those video interviews. If there's ever a conviction I suspect they'd end up as textbook examples.
aquarius2
aquarius2

Activity : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 14.08.12 20:48

aquarius2 wrote:
The Overall body language/non verbal behaviour is pretty horrifying (the Kate sneer, the Gerry masked smile) that's part of a bigger issue than the narrow (and much less credible) issue of direction of gaze and deception put down in the Wiseman & colleagues article.

I'd love to know what someone like Paul Ekman would make of those video interviews. If there's ever a conviction I suspect they'd end up as textbook examples.

The analyses of Murat's interview after being awarded a record compensation payout is in the Madeleine Foundation papers. Well worth a read.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum