The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Mm11

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Mm11

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Regist10

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007

Page 7 of 29 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Re: McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007

Post by TheTruthWillOut 24.10.11 0:05

Daisy, just to add to your post above, according to Pamalam's site Philomena was born in Lifford 8 miles south of St Johnston and that they relocated to Glasgow in 1967!

Quoting the first sentence:

Phil McCann was born in Lifford (20 miles from Londonderry) but the family re-located to Glasgow in 1967

This might take a while to figure out it is such a mess. thinking
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Activity : 754

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Re: McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007

Post by Guest 24.10.11 2:34

I certainly think that the stories linking the McCanns to Donegal are as suspect as everything else about them. Why would anyone whose child had been genuinely abducted be planting false stories with no relevance to whatever happened in Portugal? I have tried looking up Irish records and got nowhere; perhaps someone less clueless (that will be nearly everyone) can find the birth records for John and Philomena as they would confirm whether or not they were born in the pub. John was born on 15th February 1959. I can't find Phil's date of birth but she is 47 so would have been born in 1964? Trisha is 51 so year of birth 1960? Nobody seems to have claimed that she was born in the pub too! Not that I believe any of them were.

It does seem feasible that great-grandfather Joe McCann ran the pub at one time hence the place still being known locally as Joe's Bar, nothing to do with the mysterious Joe Peoples.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy 24.10.11 7:38

russiandoll wrote:Kate says in her book that the police in Portugal took Maddies passport. that does not prove she was in Portugal though does it?. I am just starting to read the posts suggesting she might never have been on the Algarve in May........can't understand what the heck was going on if that was the case but Im intrigued. While the girl in the tennis ball photo looks much older than the compact girl at the pool, I have seen photos of a younger Maddie looking facially very similar to the Donegal photo.

Im beginning to ask myself if she had a twin !
russiandoll, or anyone, please feel free to check into a topic I started weeks ago - 'Missing McCann Sibling'. I'm sure it ties in with this somewher, just can't work out how.....

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.
rainbow-fairy
rainbow-fairy

Activity : 2140

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina 24.10.11 9:39

Marian wrote:I certainly think that the stories linking the McCanns to Donegal are as suspect as everything else about them. Why would anyone whose child had been genuinely abducted be planting false stories with no relevance to whatever happened in Portugal? I have tried looking up Irish records and got nowhere; perhaps someone less clueless (that will be nearly everyone) can find the birth records for John and Philomena as they would confirm whether or not they were born in the pub. John was born on 15th February 1959. I can't find Phil's date of birth but she is 47 so would have been born in 1964? Trisha is 51 so year of birth 1960? Nobody seems to have claimed that she was born in the pub too! Not that I believe any of them were.

It does seem feasible that great-grandfather Joe McCann ran the pub at one time hence the place still being known locally as Joe's Bar, nothing to do with the mysterious Joe Peoples.

Good morning Marian. Just a mention but it was rare for a baby to be born in hospital in the 50s and early 60s. Both my children were born at home, there was no alternative unless there was a problem with the pregnancy or an emergency. Now that was in England so cannot speak of Ireland but would guess it was the same.

Activity : 3218

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Irish Records

Post by uppatoffee 24.10.11 10:13

Unfortunately online Irish records for births only go up to 1958, so too early for any of the McCann siblings. Scottish records go much more recent and it's possible to see Gerry's birth entry on the Scotland's people website, although you have to order the certificate rather than view details online.
uppatoffee
uppatoffee

Activity : 645

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24.10.11 10:16

Hi Nina. I take your point that most babies used to be born at home but I mentioned trying to find the birth certificates because they would provide the place of birth (wherever that was) and that would prove or disprove that some if not all of Gerry's siblings were born in the pub at St Johnston.

I note from the previous posting from Uppatoffee that the online records only go up to 1958 so that's the end of that!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 24.10.11 14:38

uppatoffee wrote:Unfortunately online Irish records for births only go up to 1958, so too early for any of the McCann siblings. Scottish records go much more recent and it's possible to see Gerry's birth entry on the Scotland's people website, although you have to order the certificate rather than view details online.

So no good to trace the McCann siblings but still possible to trace their father John McCann, or grandfather Joe McCann? I have tried but no luck.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Activity : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 24.10.11 14:58

Marian wrote:

I agree Marian, that does seem plausible. About the mysterious Joe Peoples. We know there's a funeral directors in the tiny village of St Johnston named 'Joseph Peoples'. I believe this to be the same Joe Peoples, and I think it's in this capacity that he knows Eileen McCann. Johnny McCann is apparently buried in the graveyard at St Johnston. I suspect Mr Peoples was the funeral director. Wonder why it took them 4 years to get his tombstone inscribed? Maybe they just didn't have the spare funds until 2008? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

MADDIE GRAN IRELAND VISIT

Irish Daily Mirror
12 March 2008
By MICHELLE Nic PHAIDIN (snipped)

But Kate and Gerry will miss annual Easter trip

THE heartbroken grandmother of missing Madeleine McCann will arrive in Ireland tomorrow.

But her devastated parents will not be joining her for the annual Easter trip.

Gerry
and Kate McCann came to Ireland last year with their three children -
but four-year-old Madeleine vanished soon after from the Portuguese
resort of Praia da Luz while on holiday last May 3.

Last night Donegal publican Joe Peoples said he was looking forward to a visit from Eileen McCann.

He added: "I know for a fact Eileen McCann will be here this week. She will be calling here on Thursday.

"Kate and Gerry will not be with her.

They have been through a lot.

"I remember last year when they were here. Madeleine was with them.

"Our
pub is on the corner of a road so it is dangerous for children. We kept
a sharp eye on them." Last year the entire family enjoyed a great
holiday in Donegal. They spent time in St Johnston where Eileen McCann's
late husband Johnny is from and visited other relatives in Dungloe.

One of the last pictures taken of Maddie was of her eating ice cream beside a wall in the Rosses.

It was an annual event for the McCanns to visit the county over Easter.

The family has relatives in the quiet villages of St Johnston and Crolly in north-west Donegal.

Joe added: "Johnny passed away four years ago in 2004. Thursday will mark his fourth anniversary.

"He was cremated in England but is buried in the graveyard in St Johnston.

"Eileen
will be here to get his name written on the tombstone to mark the
anniversary

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty The elusive McCann Family!

Post by uppatoffee 24.10.11 15:37

You would think so Daisy, but I am having trouble finding any record of them! I have also checked the 1901 Census transcript for St Johnston and there are no entries for McCann. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I seem to remember reading the father John McCann was actually born in Derry. I can't remember where I saw that though, so don't know if its true. There are certainly more records for McCanns in Derry in the 1901/1911 Census. Kate mentions that John's parents and elder brother all died before he was 16, leaving him to bring up his little brother, who I think was called Hugh.

There is that old fashioned photo of Madeleine with John on Pamalam's site which also appears in the bewk. How old do you think he is in that photo? At least 60. I find it very hard to judge ages! I have just scoured the bewk for references to Gerry's father and it says that he died in March 2005 in hospital in Glasgow, just six weeks after Sean and Amelie were born. However looking on the Scotlandspeople website there don't appear to be any McCanns whose death was registered in Glasgow and who were old enough. Joe Peoples in the article below also has John's year of death wrong, which is odd, but hardly surprising.

Why is nothing in this case straightforward? aaagh

Also interesting is that the article says that it was an annual event for the McCanns to visit the county over Easter, but wasn't this supposed to be the first time they'd ever been?
uppatoffee
uppatoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24.10.11 16:13

Have you tried searching 'freebmd.org.uk' ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee 24.10.11 16:32

FreeBMD is only for England and Wales records Stella.
uppatoffee
uppatoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24.10.11 17:53

uppatoffee wrote:You would think so Daisy, but I am having trouble finding any record of them! I have also checked the 1901 Census transcript for St Johnston and there are no entries for McCann. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I seem to remember reading the father John McCann was actually born in Derry. I can't remember where I saw that though, so don't know if its true. There are certainly more records for McCanns in Derry in the 1901/1911 Census. Kate mentions that John's parents and elder brother all died before he was 16, leaving him to bring up his little brother, who I think was called Hugh.

There is that old fashioned photo of Madeleine with John on Pamalam's site which also appears in the bewk. How old do you think he is in that photo? At least 60. I find it very hard to judge ages! I have just scoured the bewk for references to Gerry's father and it says that he died in March 2005 in hospital in Glasgow, just six weeks after Sean and Amelie were born. However looking on the Scotlandspeople website there don't appear to be any McCanns whose death was registered in Glasgow and who were old enough. Joe Peoples in the article below also has John's year of death wrong, which is odd, but hardly surprising.

Why is nothing in this case straightforward? aaagh

Also interesting is that the article says that it was an annual event for the McCanns to visit the county over Easter, but wasn't this supposed to be the first time they'd ever been?

In that picture I think he looks more 75-80 years old...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Hope you don't mind Daisy.

Post by tigger 24.10.11 17:58

[quote="Daisy"]
Marian wrote:You can see the name McCanns on the pub. I would guess that it was at one time owned by someone called McCann (remember it's a very common name in Ireland) and that has led to the myth that it was Gerry's parents.

I'm at a loss though to think of a reason for the McCanns to keep the story going.

The pub certainly doesn't appear to have been in use for years.

That's a good question Marian, one that keeps me researching the Donegal connection.

I'd like to say this is just my opinion, or my theory, but it's more than that. I have every reason to believe that the good will of Irish folk (in particular), was taken advantage of from a very early stage. It's pretty clear right from the outset someone (maybe clarrie?) spotted much mileage for financial gain from the Irish market. Gerry, Kate, Clarence and a few others are all quoted praising the Irish public for their "overwhelming generosity". According to Gerry over 50% of all "cards" from wellwishers came from Ireland. So why wouldn't they milk it? A bit risky I agree, "but in in terms of marketing, it was a good ploy".

I found this bit of info earlier, It is, as far as I know the only article that mentions this information. Credit: themaddiecasefiles because the original article appears to have been whooshed or buried deep. dated 5/5/2007 & 8/5/2007?

ONCE UPON A TIME....

"Maddy's great-grandfather Joe McCann owned a pub in St Johnston after retiring as an RIC constable.

One
of his three sons, Johnny, married Eileen, from Burtonport, in the
1960s and they moved to Scotland where heart surgeon Gerry - Maddy's
father - was born." [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So, the Irish market proved very lucrative right at the very beginning; a marketing strategy was put in place to take every advantage. However, they needed stronger links than 'great grandfather once ran a pub there' Jeez! even I can lay claim to that one. ( albeit a different part of Ireland). No, they needed something more current, a solid foundation, (looking at 'their pub' it's anything but) and a spokesperson of course - enter Joe Peoples. Not a relative, (there is not one relative of the McCanns to speak up from Ireland, not one!) just a spokesperson that is quoted differently from one publication/article to another. Interesting to note Quote snipped.
And the nasty men who stole everything from the pub and the even nastier men who stole the little practically Irish girl, were put in prison and all the people of Ireland gave all their money to the practically Irish family and they all lived happily.......

I added a few essentials?

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 24.10.11 19:34

Good addition to the fairy tale there tigger. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Athough it doesn't appear there's going to be any happy ending for the little girl who liked to dress as a princess, no happy ending for Madeleine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Unknown

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Who to believe?

Post by uppatoffee 29.10.11 8:56

One further discrepancy I have come across when looking at the Donegal connection is with regards to Gerry's mum, Eileen. In the bewk, Kate says that she was born in Glasgow (p12 HB) to Irish parents. She was sent back to live with her grandmother in Donegal shortly after the outbreak of WW2. However every one of the newspaper reports that appeared in the Irish press stated that she was born somewhere (and it did vary from paper to paper!) in Donegal. I guess that this was all part of the marketing ploy to sell the 'Irish Connection'.

Interestingly there is no birth entry for Eileen on ScotlandsPeople between 1937-1940 which is when I would have expected to find an entry for her.

uppatoffee
uppatoffee

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Who to believe? Possibly not the McCanns!

Post by Guest 29.10.11 9:07

According to Gerry's blogs his mother comes from Crolly, near Burtonport in Donegal though they do not state that she was actually born there. They do say that she still owns Peoples' Bar so, like everything else that the McCanns come up with, has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Somehow I'm reminded of the joke about a politician. How do you know when he's lying? His lips move.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 01.12.11 14:22

I’ve just signed the guestbook on: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I don’t expect it will stay there long before it’s whooshed though. I'm hoping I'll get an e-mail back with some explanation - I can hope. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Entry: 164 Time: Thu Dec 1, 2011 02:27pm
Name: Daisy City:
have the people of this site (talking about you Joe People's)allowed
the good people of Ireland to be manipulated into handing over their
money based on the lies that Eileen mcCann owns the pub 'Joe's
bar''McCann's bar' This is not true! The McCann's don't even have
relatives in Donegal - another lie! Isn't this fraud? - obtaining money
by false pretenses. Shame on you.

Unknown

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Back to top Go down

McCanns Easter break Donegal 2007 - Page 7 Empty Eileen/Ellen Ferry

Post by uppatoffee 01.12.11 14:58

I remember reading somewhere that Gerry's mum Eileen was also called Ellen sometimes. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was in one of the Irish newspaper reports of Madeleine's disappearance.

I have found a birth entry for an Ellen Frances Ferry in 1939 in the Gorbals district of Glasgow, which would fit with the dates we have for her.
uppatoffee
uppatoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy 01.12.11 15:01

Daisy wrote:I’ve just signed the guestbook on: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I don’t expect it will stay there long before it’s whooshed though. I'm hoping I'll get an e-mail back with some explanation - I can hope. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Entry: 164 Time: Thu Dec 1, 2011 02:27pm
Name: Daisy City:
have the people of this site (talking about you Joe People's)allowed
the good people of Ireland to be manipulated into handing over their
money based on the lies that Eileen mcCann owns the pub 'Joe's
bar''McCann's bar' This is not true! The McCann's don't even have
relatives in Donegal - another lie! Isn't this fraud? - obtaining money
by false pretenses. Shame on you.

Attagirl, Daisy! Will eagerly await some kind of response from the mysterious 'Joe Peoples' Wink

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

rainbow-fairy
rainbow-fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.11 15:43

Good work Daisy and you too Uppatoffee for finding a record for what might be Gerry's mother. It really was beginning to look as if none of the family officially existed! Yes it certainly will be interesting to see if the mysterious Joe Peoples replies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 01.12.11 16:03

Cheers rainbow-fairy, it would be great to recieve a reply from Mr Peoples but I shan't hold my breath.

I got really excited earlier. I thought I'd finally figured how to upload pictures from my PC, alas when I went to preview post it had gone blank. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I wanted to show the pic because it appears the signage (the name mcCann on the pub) has just been daubed on rather hastily with paint or something? The only other way to view the pub is through google streetview (main st, st johnston - just up from the Orange Hall) or by freezing the video (link below) at 3.38 onwards.

This video is basically an appeal for more money from the Irish population. It really p*ss*s me off that they can get away with this. It's all lies and propaganda! I guess the McCann's don't mind these kind of press lies though, not when they work in favour of their fund. I always believed obtaining money by false pretenses was fraud?

The poor chap interviewed in the video has probably been roped in unwittingly, he calls them the McGanns for pete's sake!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unknown

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 01.12.11 16:14

uppatoffee wrote:I remember reading somewhere that Gerry's mum Eileen was also called Ellen sometimes. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was in one of the Irish newspaper reports of Madeleine's disappearance.

I have found a birth entry for an Ellen Frances Ferry in 1939 in the Gorbals district of Glasgow, which would fit with the dates we have for her.

Nice one uppatoffee! that's most defintely her. I've read that about her name being Ellen too. The Gorbals eh?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Unknown

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 01.12.11 16:50

The link below should take you to a still of the pub. Note the signage above the window is no where near as prominent, looks like it was touched up for the video appeal. Also, the broken upstairs windows. I hope the Mccanns and children wore hard hats when they visited at easter, looks like the whole place is crumbling and unhabitable.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unknown

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy 01.12.11 16:58

Daisy wrote:
uppatoffee wrote:I remember reading somewhere that Gerry's mum Eileen was also called Ellen sometimes. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was in one of the Irish newspaper reports of Madeleine's disappearance.

I have found a birth entry
for an Ellen Frances Ferry in 1939 in the Gorbals district of Glasgow, which would fit with the dates we have for her.

Nice one uppatoffee! that's most defintely her. I've read that about her name being Ellen too. The Gorbals eh?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Is Eileen McCann's maiden name Ferry? I must've missed that.
I had a friend from The Gorbals! She was always lovely to me and we never fell out, but I did witness her temper when she fell out with others - she was..... scary! No other word for it lol Wink

rainbow-fairy
rainbow-fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.11 17:35

I'm not sure if there are any broken windows Daisy, they look like shadows or reflections to me. The place certainly looks very neglected, the curtains upstairs seem to be in tatters. There are lights on in the left ground floor windows and objects showing so maybe the place is still in use. Its appearance is not exactly welcoming though!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 29 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top