The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts - Page 2 Mm11

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts - Page 2 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts - Page 2 Mm11

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts - Page 2 Regist10

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts - Page 2 Empty Re: Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts

Post by Verdi 31.05.16 15:26

jeanmonroe wrote:the 'same' EX MP EM who WAS on 'the board' that authorised £4,000, for mortgage re-payments, from the publicly donated to 'search fund', to the McCan'ts!
Quite so - and I don't doubt still remains a source close to the family.  Not what you know it's who you know innit?

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 41936

Back to top Go down

Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts - Page 2 Empty Re: Controversy as McCanns “use Find Madeleine Fund” to pursue former PJ cop through courts

Post by pennylane 31.05.16 15:43

Verdi wrote:
jeanmonroe wrote:the 'same' EX MP EM who WAS on 'the board' that authorised £4,000, for mortgage re-payments, from the publicly donated to 'search fund', to the McCan'ts!
Quite so - and I don't doubt still remains a source close to the family.  Not what you know it's who you know innit?

And who you imply you know in this case!
pennylane

Activity : 4406

Back to top Go down

Post by HiDeHo 31.05.16 18:54

Verdi wrote:The crux of the matter is here methinks..

Former trustee and one-time GMTV presenter Esther McVey - who only a few months later resigned from the Fund and went on to become a Conservative MP - said the decision was taken despite the fact that “it would be legally permissible to use the money for a legal defence”.

There was a “spirit which underlies the generous donations to Madeleine’s fund”, she explained in 2007, and it was this spirit that trustees had the “responsibility to steer”.
----------

Whatever the Fund accounts specify at any given time, I strongly suspect there remains that hidden proviso that will cover all eventualities.

Excellent work again Natasha Donn!

We often presuming that people donated to one fund... They had the option of a second one.  Did they open it without telling anyone or did they refuse and turn it down?

HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Researcher

Activity : 5076

http://forum2.aimoo.com/MadeleineMcCann

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse 31.05.16 19:29

Not so long ago it was reported that they opened a "Special" fund and supposedly moved money for Madeleine.  Just wondering was that a ruse and they already had another 'account' set up whereby the 'squirrelling' away of those funds was already underway purely for legal fees? 

Just a thought...

Brian Kennedy and Jon withdrew from the meeting? Perhaps they were not impressed? 
Esther didn't stick around long either did she? 

Rather confused are they directors of the board as sometimes it says trustees and I thought that was only for a charity of which Madeleine's fund is not?

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html
MayMuse

Activity : 3472

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 31.05.16 20:49

HiDeHo wrote:

Former trustee and one-time GMTV presenter Esther McVey - who only a few months later resigned from the Fund and went on to become a Conservative MP - said the decision was taken despite the fact that “it would be legally permissible to use the money for a legal defence”.

There was a “spirit which underlies the generous donations to Madeleine’s fund”, she explained in 2007, and it was this spirit that trustees had the “responsibility to steer”.
----------

Whatever the Fund accounts specify at any given time, I strongly suspect there remains that hidden proviso that will cover all eventualities.

We often presuming that people donated to one fund... They had the option of a second one.  Did they open it without telling anyone or did they refuse and turn it down?

Well, I for one ain't aware of any secondary fund to cover legal expenses.  I have however wondered about the purpose of the unrestricted funds and restricted funds, identified in the limited company accounts.  I understand the difference as regards the administration of a registered charity but what I can't understand is why the official Fund administrators are trying to emulate the operation of a charity.  It would appear that money is being juggled around, in and out of the fund - could the restricted funds be a reserved sum, possibly the profits from 'madeleine' by KATE MCCANN, put aside for a rainy day, like litigation the search?

The word search that appears so frequently in this case is the key word in my opinion, covering a multitude of sins.  In the light of the McCanns claimed reasoning behind their legal action against Dr. Amaral, could it be said that the damage to the search by publication of 'The Truth of the Lie' constitutes fund allocation for the search (if you get my drift)?  I know this sounds a bit daft but one things for sure - they will have away around this.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by HiDeHo 31.05.16 22:07

Verdi wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:

----------

Well, I for one ain't aware of any secondary fund to cover legal expenses.  I have however wondered about the purpose of the unrestricted funds and restricted funds, identified in the limited company accounts.  I understand the difference as regards the administration of a registered charity but what I can't understand is why the official Fund administrators are trying to emulate the operation of a charity.  It would appear that money is being juggled around, in and out of the fund - could the restricted funds be a reserved sum, possibly the profits from 'madeleine' by KATE MCCANN, put aside for a rainy day, like litigation the search?

The word search that appears so frequently in this case is the key word in my opinion, covering a multitude of sins.  In the light of the McCanns claimed reasoning behind their legal action against Dr. Amaral, could it be said that the damage to the search by publication of 'The Truth of the Lie' constitutes fund allocation for the search (if you get my drift)?  I know this sounds a bit daft but one things for sure - they will have away around this.

There seems to be an indication that there WAS a seperate fund and they didn't turn down the option... they maybe just didn't tell anyone?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6997429.stm
'Tycoon Sir Richard Branson is giving £100,000 to a fund to assist Kate and Gerry McCann with their legal costs.'

http://themaddiecasefiles.com/post3249.html#p3249

I TRUST MCCANNS. SAYS SIR RICHARD

Monday September 17,2007

Multi millionaire Sir Richard Branson said he would be donating £100,000 to the McCanns' legal costs because he "trusted them implicitly" and wanted to ensure they had a fair trial if they were brought before a Portuguese court.

Sir Richard, who has spoken to the parents of missing Madeleine McCann on several occasions, said: "I wouldn't have got involved if I didn't feel good about them. I trust them implicitly and I can't think of anyone I know who's had a worse time." 

Explaining his decision, the entrepreneur and social campaigner, said: "I think they need proper representation and support."

He added: "I want to make sure they have the chance for their side of the story to be fairly told if they ever go to court, particularly in Portugal where they've already been tried by innuendo in the media.

"It's going to be tough for them to get a fair trial and they need all the help they can get."

Sir Richard confirmed he was in talks with other wealthy people to encourage them to contribute to a legal fund as well, and said at least one other anonymous donor was signed up already.

"I'm speaking to several people and hopefully there'll be others helping with the legal costs," he said. "One or two have already committed on an off-the-record basis."

http://themaddiecasefiles.com/topic4513.html
Madeleine's parents pray, while Branson pledges £100,000 for legal fight

Published Date: 17 September 2007 
By KATIE DAWSON

Last week, the family announced that it would not spend proceeds from the "Find Madeleine" fund on Mr and Mrs McCann's legal costs. 

However, a spokeswoman for Sir Richard Branson yesterday confirmed that the entrepreneur would be donating £100,000 to the McCanns' legal costs. 

"He wants to give them a chance to have a fair hearing," the spokeswoman said. "Over the last few weeks, Richard has been watching events as they have unfolded. There is a whole family involved here. 

"When the McCanns made it known that under no circumstances would they touch the Find Madeleine fund, and discussed selling their house, Richard felt that something had to be done."

IOL

Branson pledges cash for McCanns

September 17 2007 at 12:30am
By Peter Griffiths

London - British billionaire Richard Branson is to donate 100 000 pounds to create a fund to help the parents of missing girl Madeleine McCann pay their legal bills, his spokesperson said on Sunday.

The Virgin Group boss hopes other wealthy individuals will add to the fund as Gerry and Kate McCann try to clear their names after Portuguese police named them as formal suspects in the disappearance of their daughter.

Since their return to England last Sunday, the McCanns have faced intense media speculation about their role in the case.

"In the midst of all of this speculation and rumour, we must remember there is a family in pain and a little four-year-old girl is still missing," Branson said in a statement. "We must not lose sight of this fact. It is the only solid fact we know.

"The search for Madeleine must not let up for one moment."

The couple have denied any involvement in their daughter's disappearance. She went missing while on holiday in southern Portugal on May 3. They are convinced she is still alive.

Branson has closely followed the case and is keen to "relieve the burden" from the McCanns, his spokesperson said.

Well-wishers have already donated more than a million pounds to a fund to help find the girl. However, the trust's directors decided last week that the money should not be used to pay the couple's legal bills.

The McCanns, both 39-year-old doctors, have hired lawyers in Portugal and England to defend them in case they are charged.

Portugal's public prosecutor has passed the case against the McCanns to a criminal judge who will decide whether there are grounds for a trial.

A spokesperson for the prosecutor's office gave no details of the evidence or what accusations the McCanns might face.

On Sunday, the McCanns held hands as they walked to church in their home village of Rothley, Leicestershire, watched by TV cameras and photographers.
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Researcher

Activity : 5076

http://forum2.aimoo.com/MadeleineMcCann

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 31.05.16 23:10

OK - so maybe maybe not.  The Fund accounts have never been been recorded in detail by the appointed auditors, income and expenditure is identified as such without any indication as to the origin of donations or destination of expenditure.  Branson's altruistic offer of assistance as reported by the media is very much open to conjecture.  Maybe he joined forces with Brian Kennedy the double glazing salesman by providing legal assistance in the form of lawyers as opposed to actually coughing up the cash.  Maybe he made a pledge, much like the rich reward offered by the News of the World, that never reached fruition.  Maybe he donated money which was paid into the official Find Madeleine fund, as we know it to be.

Whatever, apart from a few statements issued by the media, there isn't any indication or proof to clarify one way or the other.  As it stands I remain unconvinced that there was/is two separate funds, one for the 'search' and one for litigation.  Don't forget in the very early stages, the birth of the fund was referred to as a 'fight fund' and a source close to the Rothley war memorial said outright that most likely the fund would be used for litigation - or words to that effect.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 31.05.16 23:23

A string of high powered wealthy business wo/men who jumped on the McCann bandwagon in the early stages  because they were instinctively convinced on the McCanns innocence.   People like this don't get where they are by being foolish with money, indeed I think generally they have earned the reputation of being tight-fisted - far more likely to assist by providing the services of their staff, lawyers, PR gurus and such, like rather than part with their cash.

Unless of course there is a PACT requiring the distribution of wealth - and I'm not talking of a communist plot!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory 31.05.16 23:28

Verdi wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:

----------

Restricted and unrestricted funds normally relates to charities accounting or the Charities SORP - oh the irony. I've never come across it in company accounts because it is specific to charity accounting rules.

It means the charity has raised money for a specific purpose or similarly was given a grant or donations to carry out such an action. If the charity doesn't spend the money by the end of its accounting year it must carry it forward to continue spending on the agreed purposes and NOT vire the income to any of its other different objectives. The unspent balance is carried forward in its restricted reserves for the next or subsequent years to defray the associated expenditure in those years.
Rogue-a-Tory
Rogue-a-Tory

Activity : 1115

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 31.05.16 23:30

Restricted and unrestricted funds normally relates to charities accounting or the Charities SORP - oh the irony. I've never come across it in company accounts because it is specific to charity accounting rules.

It means the charity has raised money for a specific purpose or similarly was given a grant or donations to carry out such an action. If the charity doesn't spend the money by the end of its accounting year it must carry it forward to continue spending on the agreed purposes and NOT vire the income to any of its other different objectives. The unspent balance is carried forward in its restricted reserves for the next or subsequent years to defray the associated expenditure in those years.
My point precisely!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top