The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Mm11

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Mm11

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Regist10

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine.

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Empty Re: Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine.

Post by Syn 08.07.15 22:52

HKP wrote:
Syn wrote:
HKP wrote:
Nuala wrote:@ HKP via Rufus T

Given the above statement of ‘if this file doesn't exist web robots assume the web owner wishes to provide no specific instructions, and crawls the entire site’ is this what happened and the entire site was crawled picking up mccann.html & madeleine 01 & 02 jpgs???

This is the robots.txt file for the CEOP website as archived on 29th April at 14:15:59:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /pdfs/
Disallow: /role_profiles/

Nothing about excluding mccann.html there.

Also, just because the robots.txt wasn't crawled on 30 Apr 2007 doesn't mean it wasn't there. It would have been there on 30 Apr 2007, just not crawled on that date.

Note also:

1) robots.txt exclusion requests are just that, only requests. A robots.txt doesn't actually stop a crawler from crawling certain things, it just a request that they don't, so anyone wanting to hide anything wouldn't upload it and use a robots.txt to exclude it from crawlers.

2) robots.txt files are public, anyone can see them, all they have to do is enter the URL [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to view the file. So a robots.txt would not be used to " hide" mccann.html because it wouldn't actually hide it.
I've registered so I can post on this thread,.
Can you show us all the robot.txt for 30/04 rather than the 29/04
What part of they have taken all the erroneous 30/04/2007 urls out of the WB archive whilst they try and resolve this issue do you not understand? Ergo Nuala nor anyone else cannot provide what you ask but safe to say it will be EXACTLY the same as it was for 29/04/2007
Woops there goes that assumption again, nothing is safe to say it will be EXACTLY the same because in reality then you don't know. Since you're playing an assuming card let's assume that it didn't pick up a robots.txt and carried out a more rigorous sweep picking up all sorts maybe even mccann. html

What is safe to say is that the records show 28/04 was nothing like 30/04

Read and digest what Niuala has just posted.  You are straw clutching to the extreme because you really want this to be some big setup by CEOP but it isn't. I concur that there is more to the McCann case than meets the eye and but you are in tinfoil hat territory with your surmises. You are struggling to understand basic concepts re robots.txt. You do Madeleine no favours whatsoever in clutching onto such way out and non-provable theories. If you want justice for her, you will have to think a lot more rationally and logically than you are currently doing.
Syn

Activity : 110

Back to top Go down

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Empty Re: Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine.

Post by Syn 08.07.15 22:53

Nuala wrote:Quoting @ Syn

safe to say it will be EXACTLY the same as it was for 29/04/2007

Of course it will. And the idea that someone uploaded mccann.html on 30 Apr, and also uploaded a new robots.txt to exclude that page is ridiculous.

If they wanted to keep mccann.html secret they just wouldn't have uploaded it.

You don't upload a page you want to keep secret and then try and keep it secret with a robots.txt that is public (anyone can view it) and the exclusion request might be ignored by any crawler anyway.

Crazy idea.
Nail on proverbial head there :)
Syn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala 08.07.15 22:58

@ Syn

You are straw clutching to the extreme because you really want this to be some big setup by CEOP but it isn't. I concur that there is more to the the McCann case than meets the eye and but you are in tinfoil hat territory with your surmises. You are struggling to understand basic concepts re robots.txt. You do Madeleine no favours whatsoever in clutching onto such way out and non-provable theories. If you want justice for her, you will have to think a lot more rationally and logically than you are currently doing

Well said. I agree with all of that.
Nuala

Activity : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08.07.15 23:10

Nuala wrote:@ Syn

You are straw clutching to the extreme because you really want this to be some big setup by CEOP but it isn't. I concur that there is more to the the McCann case than meets the eye and but you are in tinfoil hat territory with your surmises. You are struggling to understand basic concepts re robots.txt. You do Madeleine no favours whatsoever in clutching onto such way out and non-provable theories. If you want justice for her, you will have to think a lot more rationally and logically than you are currently doing

Well said. I agree with all of that.
It's a bit like a big daddy and giant haystacks tag team around here sometimes, you both have concentrated on robots.txts being exclusions what I actually posted was...

"Given the above statement of ‘if this file doesn't exist web robots assume the web owner wishes to provide no specific instructions, and crawls the entire site’ is this what happened and the entire site was crawled picking up mccann.html & madeleine 01 & 02 jpgs??? Obviously there are still question marks around captures with future dates that still need to be explained."

What part of that statement did I say the McCann.html was on the robots.txt list? I suggested that for some reason the robots.txt file was not present and a more in depth sweep was conducted (the high number of captures would indicate a bigger sweep) which picked up McCann.html

As for the lecture, I've been around the Maddie forums since the 3As & Mirror I don't need you nit picking and espousing forum etiquette.

ETA Your non provable theory's statement.   Pot...kettle...black
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala 08.07.15 23:18

@ HKP

I suggested that for some reason the robots.txt file was not present

I understood that. You must have missed me saying:

so the robots.txt not existing on 30 Apr would have made no difference.
Nuala

Activity : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08.07.15 23:45

Nuala wrote:@ HKP

You seem to be missing something, 30/04 was like no other, something happened (do you even agree with that?) and an extraordinary amount of repetition and captures was conducted. Can you categorically state that a robots txt file from any previous crawl or current available (on that day) was 'read' and utilised? You are jumping to conclusions when stating that the robots txt on 30/04 makes no difference when you are struggling to understand (like us all) what was captured and what was not. I pointed something out and asked the question, your answer does not satisfactorily answer it

ETA and neither does your mate's
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Syn 09.07.15 0:36

Some people, in their endeavour to score points for some bizarre reason, fail to see the wood for the trees. They forget that we are on the same side in wanting justice for Madeleine. Everything has to be a conspiracy no matter what the evidence to the contrary and they wonder why 'antis' - hate that description as I prefer pro Madeleine, are labelled 'conspiraloons'  duh
Syn

Back to top Go down

Post by Syn 09.07.15 1:04

HKP wrote:

You seem to be missing something, 30/04 was like no other, something happened (do you even agree with that?) and an extraordinary amount of repetition and captures was conducted. Can you categorically state that a robots txt file from any previous crawl or current available (on that day) was 'read' and utilised? You are jumping to conclusions when stating that the robots txt on 30/04 makes no difference when you are struggling to understand (like us all) what was captured and what was not. I pointed something out and asked the question, your answer does not satisfactorily answer it

Sorry to be pedantic, and normally it does not bother me as I subscribe to the James Joyce ideology that lack of grammar and punctuation matter not  but you not knowing when to use was and were is irking some what :)  That is aside from your bullish assertion that a 30/04 capture really actually even existed. Twice now I and others have shown you that 30/04/2007 entries  in the WB Source Directory do not correlate with the captured entries on the Wayback calendar  but you have yet to counter what is fact.  Why is that?

By the way, I have no idea who Nuala is, our only encounter has been on here re this subject, on which we agree.  You assume we are mates and according to Resistor on your mainly frequented  forum that we are some kind of tag team.  Again, incorrect.  I would, if given the opportunity welcome Nuala as a mate/friend :) We are two individuals who have very similar views re this 30/04/07 anomaly. I think Nuala makes a lot of sense and you really should read and digest her posts before you really make a fool of yourself.  I have friends who are pro McCann which irks some of my fellow  'anti's' but we can have a civilised debate and I like them as people. You and I disagree re this CEOP issue but I bet we agree a lot re many other aspects of the McCann case.  That's just the way the cookie crumbles. It would be very boring and unrealistic to be like the pros who all agree re absolutely everything :)
Syn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09.07.15 8:55

Syn wrote:
HKP wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic, and normally it does not bother me as I subscribe to the James Joyce ideology that lack of grammar and punctuation matter not  but you not knowing when to use was and were is irking some what :)  That is aside from your bullish assertion that a 30/04 capture really actually even existed. Twice now I and others have shown you that 30/04/2007 entries  in the WB Source Directory do not correlate with the captured entries on the Wayback calendar  but you have yet to counter what is fact.  Why is that?

By the way, I have no idea who Nuala is, our only encounter has been on here re this subject, on which we agree.  You assume we are mates and according to Resistor on your mainly frequented  forum that we are some kind of tag team.  Again, incorrect.  I would, if given the opportunity welcome Nuala as a mate/friend :) We are two individuals who have very similar views re this 30/04/07 anomaly. I think Nuala makes a lot of sense and you really should read and digest her posts before you really make a fool of yourself.  I have friends who are pro McCann which irks some of my fellow  'anti's' but we can have a civilised debate and I like them as people. You and I disagree re this CEOP issue but I bet we agree a lot re many other aspects of the McCann case.  That's just the way the cookie crumbles. It would be very boring and unrealistic to be like the pros who all agree re absolutely everything :)

I'll address a couple of your posts if I may.

@ 12:36 am you stated “ Some people, in their endeavour to score points for some bizarre reason fail to see the wood for the trees”

I’m not here to score points, I don’t resort to adding urls to Wayback (and that sort of thing) in an effort to prove a point (which it didn’t).

You then bring up that anti’s are referred to as ‘conspiraloons’ does this have any relevance to this thread if you want to call yourself that fair enough, please don’t tar anybody else who is looking for answers with that brush.

@ 01:04 am you start off with an English grammar lesson, this forum (as with others) is about the mystery surrounding Madeleine McCann, not the mystery surrounding posters grasp of grammar. Your point once again is irrelevant and there are perhaps many posters whose grasp of the English language and grammar is not as good as yours, does that make their points not as worthy?

Your statement of a “bullish assertion that a 30/04 capture really actually even existed” is countered by nobody has proven otherwise. There may be question marks around some of the content (look at my post re. robots.txt where I specifically say “obviously there are still question marks around captures with future dates that still need to be looked at” in the last line). For information, 30/04 was a crawl date in the years 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2013 according to the records.

The twice shown entries of future dated news that you are using as evidence, I don’t see anybody particularly arguing that you are wrong, the records show entries for news items that could not have been in existence, that needs an explanation from the Wayback guys not me. What it does show is that some urls are there in error, it does not show they are ALL in error which seems to be your argument (feel free to correct me on that matter).

Your final paragraph where you show some sort of ‘concern’ that I am making a ‘fool of myself’, although rather touching that you care I wouldn’t bother if I were you! You seem to somehow subscribe to the fact that people are not allowed to look at this issue and question it, I have been looking at the dataset, some technical information, digested other posters views and put forward some scenarios (mostly backed up with information or data), you on the other hand seem to want to stifle my debate for some unknown reason.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Steve Marsden's WBM screenshot: The CEOP Home page for April 30, 2007 also refers to Missing Madeleine. - Page 28 Empty WOOOOSSH - 30 April 2007 never happened and to prove it, it's gone!

Post by skyrocket 09.07.15 9:08

Just checked the IA 10 mins ago and noticed that the 30 April 2007 calendar dates for all the ceop.gov.uk related pages have been officially wooosshed. All have gone and all records now show one less trawl for each url/page. Haven't checked out the source directory - assume that would have to be altered as well.

Wonder if the IA now feel in a position to release an explanation?! Probably not. :please:
skyrocket
skyrocket

Activity : 1537

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket 09.07.15 9:41

I should just add - I'm still on the fence despite the fact that the IA are obviously backing up their second response (error). If it was any other subject matter my scepticism would be satisfied but under the circumstances I'm not 100% convinced. Errors obviously occured and pages were dated 30 April by mistake - the only critical thing is whether there was a ceop trawl of any size on that date or not. I don't think the 'public' will ever know - perhaps it's time to move on?
skyrocket
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 09.07.15 11:21

skyrocket wrote:Just checked the IA 10 mins ago and noticed that the 30 April 2007 calendar dates for all the ceop.gov.uk related pages have been officially wooosshed.
To use Al Gore's memorable turn of phrase in his film about climate change: 'An Inconvenient Truth'? - airbrushed, or deleted out of existence.

We need a qualified and experienced neutral to calmly assess the entire history of this - and give us an expert opinion (sorry to all the many professed experts on this thread)

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus T 09.07.15 11:24

Like many others I find this subject a little hard to follow, but I have stuck with it and am managing to follow the ongoing debate as best I can. The one thing that is beyond my understanding is peoples inability to be civil, debate is good, discussion is good but sniping and bitching is not. It may be cheesy and twee but it really is nice to be nice. smilie
Rufus T
Rufus T

Activity : 312

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard IV 09.07.15 11:27

@ Syn "Sorry to be pedantic, and normally it does not bother me as I subscribe to the James Joyce ideology that lack of grammar and punctuation matter not  but you not knowing when to use was and were is irking some what :) "

I would stick to your James Joyce ideology then as coming on here and criticising someone`s grammar in order to denigrate them IS .... irking .........................  somewhat !  
Richard IV
Richard IV

Activity : 825

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09.07.15 11:46

Tony Bennett wrote:
skyrocket wrote:Just checked the IA 10 mins ago and noticed that the 30 April 2007 calendar dates for all the ceop.gov.uk related pages have been officially wooosshed.
To use Al Gore's memorable turn of phrase in his film about climate change: 'An Inconvenient Truth'? - airbrushed, or deleted out of existence.

We need a qualified and experienced neutral to calmly assess the entire history of this - and give us an expert opinion (sorry to all the many professed experts on this thread)
The wooshing was done a while ago, not long after they realised (told) that there was an issue. We can't be sure that anything we are picking up is the true reflection unless a capture by Stevo  at the time was conducted and made available

As for a qualified and experienced nuetral, I can't help there as I fit none of those three categories.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket 09.07.15 11:52

@ Tony Bennett - To use Al Gore's memorable turn of phrase in his film about climate change: 'An Inconvenient Truth'? - airbrushed, or deleted out of existence.

Tony, the 2 neutral profs I've contacted (both of whom are highly qualified and work in the field of computer archiving on the tech side - one American, one Austrian) both conceded that it is all very 'weird'; that either scenario is feasible but that error has the edge; that no amount of 'outsider' digging is going to solve this; and that the only ones who can follow the trail of errors (or not) and give a definitive answer are the IA team. I think we're scuppered!

@ Rufus T - Like many others I find this subject a little hard to follow, but I have stuck with it and am managing to follow the ongoing debate as best I can. The one thing that is beyond my understanding is peoples inability to be civil, debate is good, discussion is good but sniping and bitching is not. It may be cheesy and twee but it really is nice to be nice.

I concur - my old dad used to tell us kids "if you can't say anything nice, don't open your mouth'! The whole MBM issue is very emotive and I'm sure the intention is purely debate but it's not always easy to keep a lid on things when you're convinced your argument is the right one! Several times I've typed a response and then calmed down before I've clicked send - editing usually makes for a more rational response!!! yes
skyrocket
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket 09.07.15 11:59

@HKP
The wooshing was done a while ago, not long after they realised (told) that there was an issue. We can't be sure that anything we are picking up is the true reflection unless a capture by Stevo  at the time was conducted and made available

Hi HKP - I realise that the 30 April pages were wooshed almost immediately but I wasn't aware that the actual 30 April calendar date (showing on each of the calendars as a blue circle) had been completely removed/erased until now, it was certainly still there a few days ago. Thought it was a new development (think it's only very recent). Doesn't really make much difference in the whole scheme of things other than to show the IA's conclusion.
skyrocket
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09.07.15 12:08

skyrocket wrote:@HKP

Hi HKP - I realise that the 30 April pages were wooshed almost immediately but I wasn't aware that the actual 30 April calendar date (showing on each of the calendars as a blue circle) had been completely removed/erased until now, it was certainly still there a few days ago. Thought it was a new development (think it's only very recent). Doesn't really make much difference in the whole scheme of things other than to show the IA's conclusion.
Hi skyrocket,
The easiest thing for IA to do was to unlink from the calendar, remove 30/04 files from public view and tell people to contact the police if they think a crime has been committed. That's exactly what they've done, it explains nothing unfortunately.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 09.07.15 12:19

HKP wrote:

Hi skyrocket,
The easiest thing for IA to do was to unlink from the calendar, remove 30/04 files from public view and tell people to contact the police if they think a crime has been committed. That's exactly what they've done, it explains nothing.

All 'too late' though, HKP, don't you think?

The 30/40 'files' (removed?) HAVE been SEEN by the 'public'

'Saved' 'Screenshotted' for posterity, on hundreds/thousands of 'comps/disks'. (around the WORLD)

Surely, 'removing' er, 'contentious' files, only ADDS to 'conspiratorial theories'

"Out of the frying pan............." and all 'that'?

jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09.07.15 12:29

jeanmonroe wrote:
HKP wrote:

Hi skyrocket,
The easiest thing for IA to do was to unlink from the calendar, remove 30/04 files from public view and tell people to contact the police if they think a crime has been committed. That's exactly what they've done, it explains nothing.

All 'too late' though, HKP, don't you think?

The 30/40 'files' (removed?) HAVE been SEEN by the 'public'

'Saved' 'Screenshotted' for posterity, on hundreds/thousands of 'comps/disks'. (around the WORLD)

Surely, 'removing' er, 'contentious' files, only ADDS to 'conspiratorial theories'

"Out of the frying pan............." and all 'that'?

I think you're right Jean, IA could have handled this a lot better, they've added fuel to the fire if you ask me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rustyjames 09.07.15 13:06

I don't know who originally found the codexgeo.co.uk entries or how, but that had the same issue at the same time - i.e. an impossible 16033 entries all recorded at 30/4/07 11:58:03.

Those entries are now also gone.  As stated by other posters we don't have the information to make definitive statements, only those with access to the original source information might be able to, but there being at least one other site with the same problem leads me to leaning towards it being an error in the indexing.
rustyjames

Activity : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09.07.15 13:19

rustyjames wrote:I don't know who originally found the codexgeo.co.uk entries or how, but that had the same issue at the same time - i.e. an impossible 16033 entries all recorded at 30/4/07 11:58:03.

Those entries are now also gone.  As stated by other posters we don't have the information to make definitive statements, only those with access to the original source information might be able to, but there being at least one other site with the same problem leads me to leaning towards it being an error in the indexing.
Rustyjames, your posts have been the voice of reason, the codexgeo issue was found by Seahorse over by. The exact same questions can be asked, was the codexgeo site crawled 30/04 what if any true files were found. Alas I'm going to take a guess that we will never know, for IA I would have thought that their reputation has taken a dent. There have been several court case in the UK that have called upon Wayback evidence, in future (if nothing more is said) defendants will be pointing at this issue as their defence (against Wayback capture evidence). I would add that Chris Butlers statement of 31st July & 7 October (being the correct dates when archived) do not make sense.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 09.07.15 13:38

I think it is misleading to assert that WBM is unreliable in its use for electronic evidence in court cases as this is not what WBM was designed for and they stipulate as much:

The Internet archive Wayback Machine

The use of internet publications in legal affairs is surrounded by serious concerns as to their reliability, in particular about their date of availability.  Even if an earlier date may be retrieved for a particular internet page, it remains uncertain whether the retrieved page is faithful as to what was actually available at the older date.
Courts involved with intellectual property allow more and more that internet publications are used as part of the state of the art, but these courts usually apply very strict criteria with respect to the level of proof about the evidence provided.
The scarce Case Law so far, in which internet publications were introduced as evidence, clearly distinguishes sources having different reliabilities.
A problem arises when the publication is from a source of unknown reliability, and may not even mention a publication date.  Here further evidence to establish or confirm the publication date may be obtained, such as from an internet archiving service.  In this context, “The Wayback Machine” ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is often mentioned as the most prominent internet archiving service available.
The Internet Archive Wayback Machine is a service that allows people to visit archived versions of Web sites.  Visitors to the Wayback Machine can type in a URL, select a date range, and then begin surfing on an archived version of the Web.
The Wayback Machine however was not designed for legal use.  Its target users are researchers, historians, and scholars, not lawyers and judges.  Its purpose is to provide “a memory” for society, as comprehensive as possible.  In its design, it is therefore more important to provide links between various pieces of related information rather than an authentic picture of the internet at a particular point in history.
The vast volume of available information, and the rate at which this is generated and modified, also imposes practical limits to the Internet Archive.
These factors affect what can and what cannot be asked from the Wayback Machine.  They are causing possible pitfalls for a erroneous interpretation of the search results, and for drawing the wrong conclusions.  An interesting article on this subject by B.Howell published in the Journal of Internet Law of February 2006.
The present series of articles, of which this is the introduction, discusses some of the recent observations and examples the authors found with respect to possible legal (ab)use of the Wayback Machine in legal proceedings in Belgium with respect to Intellectual Property, and in their preparation therefore.

Activity : 2154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09.07.15 15:10

Joss wrote:I think it is misleading to assert that WBM is unreliable in its use for electronic evidence in court cases as this is not what WBM was designed for and they stipulate as much:

The use of internet publications in legal affairs is surrounded by serious concerns as to their reliability, in particular about their date of availability.  Even if an earlier date may be retrieved for a particular internet page, it remains uncertain whether the retrieved page is faithful as to what was actually available at the older date.
Courts involved with intellectual property allow more and more that internet publications are used as part of the state of the art, but these courts usually apply very strict criteria with respect to the level of proof about the evidence provided.
The scarce Case Law so far, in which internet publications were introduced as evidence, clearly distinguishes sources having different reliabilities.
A problem arises when the publication is from a source of unknown reliability, and may not even mention a publication date.  Here further evidence to establish or confirm the publication date may be obtained, such as from an internet archiving service.  In this context, “The Wayback Machine” ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is often mentioned as the most prominent internet archiving service available.
The Internet Archive Wayback Machine is a service that allows people to visit archived versions of Web sites.  Visitors to the Wayback Machine can type in a URL, select a date range, and then begin surfing on an archived version of the Web.
The Wayback Machine however was not designed for legal use.  Its target users are researchers, historians, and scholars, not lawyers and judges.  Its purpose is to provide “a memory” for society, as comprehensive as possible.  In its design, it is therefore more important to provide links between various pieces of related information rather than an authentic picture of the internet at a particular point in history.
The vast volume of available information, and the rate at which this is generated and modified, also imposes practical limits to the Internet Archive.
These factors affect what can and what cannot be asked from the Wayback Machine.  They are causing possible pitfalls for a erroneous interpretation of the search results, and for drawing the wrong conclusions.  An interesting article on this subject by B.Howell published in the Journal of Internet Law of February 2006.
The present series of articles, of which this is the introduction, discusses some of the recent observations and examples the authors found with respect to possible legal (ab)use of the Wayback Machine in legal proceedings in Belgium with respect to Intellectual Property, and in their preparation therefore.
I bet some of these people are interested onlookers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 09.07.15 15:20

HKP wrote:
Joss wrote:I think it is misleading to assert that WBM is unreliable in its use for electronic evidence in court cases as this is not what WBM was designed for and they stipulate as much:

I bet some of these people are interested onlookers.

I have no idea about that, but that isn't very many cases.

Recently, attempts have been made to preserve web data in the form of web archives, but these are still very much in their infancy. The Internet Archive ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a US-based non-profit, private archiving initiative that provides an open resource storing past "images" of websites, which are retrievable using its search engine, the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. From available information (see e.g. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and an article by B. Howell in the Journal of Internet Law, February 2006 at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the following details emerge: Though the Archive itself is non-profit, it receives its data from a for-profit company, Alexa Internet, which uses proprietary web crawl technology to harvest web data for its business interests. This data it donates to the Archive after a six month delay. The web crawls are not comprehensive: only non-password protected sites deemed of interest are captured, while site owners may further block the crawler, or request exclusion or retroactive removal of pages from the archive. The "images" are not necessarily instantaneous snap shots of a website, but may be assembled in the course of successive crawls. Links may not be preserved, or, if intact, may connect to different material than at the time of capture. Moreover, the archiving format may not be true to the original format of the site. The archived site may not be displayed in the format of the original or with all its functionality intact. Security structures are also not clear: the archive uses remote shell communication to its storage servers, but the extent of access once connected is not clear. Though there is a registration portal, users can gain access anonymously. Finally, there are known proprietary issues of the information retrieved and the terms of use advises the user that they use any content at their own risk.
The Internet Archive is not an archive in the classical sense. The givens of established archives such as authenticity and integrity of archived material - how truthful is archived material to the original, and how inviolable is the material against modification - cannot be taken for granted. This affects the evidentiary value of material retrieved from this resource. The Internet Archive itself for a fee offers an authentication service in the form of an affidavit, but states (see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] "Before asking the Internet Archive to authenticate your documents, we ask that you please seek judicial notice or simply ask your opposing party to stipulate to the documents' authenticity. Of course, the best source of such information is the party who posted the information on the URLs at issue, and the second-best source of such information is someone who actually accessed the historical versions of the URLs".
3.3 Recent considerations in case law of the evidentiary value of information retrieved from the Internet, and the Internet Archive in particular, may be of interest. However, such case law is sparse.

Activity : 2154

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top