The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

The wisdom of Thomas Jefferson - still relevant today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The wisdom of Thomas Jefferson - still relevant today

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.01.13 8:35

Received from an American friend:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began studying under his cousin's tutor.

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America" - and retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence.

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia 's legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was the American minister to France and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American Philosophical Society.

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of Republican Party.

At 57, was elected the third president of the United States.

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase doubling the nation's size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired to Monticello.

At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served as its first president.

At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence along with John Adams.

Thomas Jefferson knew because he himself studied the previous failed attempts at government. He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man. That happens to be way more than what most understand today. Jefferson really knew his stuff. A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

WHAT THOMAS JEFFERSON SAID:

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The wisdom of Thomas Jefferson - still relevant today

Post by tigger on 07.01.13 9:21

I've copied it all!
thumbsup thank you.

View user profile http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.01.13 13:03

Thank you, Tony.

I am going to print this one and pin it on my office wall:

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-- Thomas Jefferson

I also consider to copy François Hollande on it

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 07.01.13 13:34

A town in the north of the Netherlands decided to do without traffic lights. The result was surprising, far fewer accidents.
It is a town of 45000 inhabitants, both traffic lights and traffic signs have been taken down. Excepting essential ones to give the speed limit and so on.
(Smallingerland-Drachten)
Government should work the same way. Both MPs and councillors have their own agendas, at the top of which is getting re-elected and whilst they are in office to lay their hands on as much money and to establish as many lucrative contacts as they can.

I agree with every single statement of Jefferson posted here.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 07.01.13 14:18

Monticello is a lovely place.
(Of course he also needed his hundreds of slaves to keep it going.)

PeterMac
Investigator

View user profile http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.01.13 14:57

@PeterMac wrote:Monticello is a lovely place.
(Of course he also needed his hundreds of slaves to keep it going.)

smilie

thanks PeterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 07.01.13 15:06

I'd say rather than "still" relevant they are in fact more relevant today.

Yes, I too have to agree with all of the quotes by Jefferson. Being author of the Declaration of Independence he clearly realised the fragility of democracy. It’s true purpose should be to protect, preserve and perpetuate the freedom of its people, not to systemically enslave and thieve from them. Yet we find ourselves in a world where government has taken on a life of its own, one it strides fervently to protect at the expense of the people under manipulation of corporation. Jefferson feared this potentiality.

“The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.” Thomas Jefferson

Is that the world we live in today? Or does it more closely resemble this...

“Diet, injections and injunctions will combine from a very early age to produce the sort of character and the sort of beliefs that the authorities consider desirable. And any serious criticism of the powers that be will become psychologically impossible.” Bertrand Russell (nobel prize winner)

and

“Gradually, by selective breeding, the congenital differences between rulers and ruled will increase until they become almost different species. A revolt of the plebs would become as unthinkable as an organised insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton.”
Bertrand Russell
monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roy rovers on 07.01.13 22:46

You forgot to mention his band Jefferson Airplane which he set up in San Francisco with the Wright Brothers in the 60's. Surrealistic Pillow (1967) was pretty good.
roy rovers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Observer on 07.01.13 22:51

@roy rovers wrote:You forgot to mention his band Jefferson Airplane which he set up in San Francisco with the Wright Brothers in the 60's. Surrealistic Pillow (1967) was pretty good.
And all druggies to boot

Observer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.01.13 23:02

I recognise a joke when I [am supposed to] see one.
But let's get back to e.g. "sheep against the practice of eating mutton."
Over to you Monkey Mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 08.01.13 0:33

Chatelaine, I am unable to discern the meaning behind Russell’s words. I’ve tried but cannot. I put it down to the poor stock from which I was spawned, that and a lifetime of vaccinations and food brimming with genetically modified e-numbers. Of course having the ability to think battered out of me five days a week at school didn’t help either. Luckily there has always been people like Tony, Gordon and now David to guide me. They are nice. I don’t know what I would do if David and his friends weren’t there to tell me. I wish Bary were here to tell me too but he's busy looking after his own family. Isn't that nice.
monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 08.01.13 7:01

Who is Bary?
Monkeymind, I make a case for truancy - I could spell better than the teacher and didn't agree with his view on recent history, i.e. we must hate all Germans.
Aged 12 to 14 I only made guest appearances at school, spending time in museums, long walks looking at architecture and sometimes libraries. Once I was found out all that lovely education stopped... the music lessons were good though.

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 08.01.13 15:17

Tigger did we ever bump into one another at the museum?

Don’t get me started on history, loathed the odious teacher and hence the subject. I recall O’level time when the evening before the exam I realised I had nothing. No text books, no exercise books and no memory of the previous two years. Nada! Horror! How could this have happened I wondered? Alien abduction, selective amnesia? Then I remembered I had mostly been out on long walks with you, at the museum, the library, playing cricket, anywhere other than history class. What to do? Tomorrow was 70 or 100 multiple choicers followed by a two hour exam 3 essays from choice of six covering the last century or so. Gulp. So I pilfered a text book, made three distinctly uneducated guesses, went through the night, ticked every box as ‘A’ and got three bullseyes and a C grade. Okay, so it’s not gonna open the door to Oxford but a pass ain’t a fail right? Beggars can’t be and all that.

Who is Barry? Barry is Barry, leader of the Western world.

monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 08.01.13 15:25

I'm afraid it was the opposite for me. My school tried to educate me to think and I failed. In Philosophy I was asked if the desk was there or could it be a figment of my own imagination. I replied 'it's there as are you Sir'. The teacher asked me how I knew for definite to which I giggled and said 'well if I pick up my bag and walk out of this lesson you'll let me know I'm not imagining things'. The teacher turned his back and I could see his shoulders shaking.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 08.01.13 15:32

@aquila wrote:I'm afraid it was the opposite for me. My school tried to educate me to think and I failed. In Philosophy I was asked if the desk was there or could it be a figment of my own imagination. I replied 'it's there as are you Sir'. The teacher asked me how I knew for definite to which I giggled and said 'well if I pick up my bag and walk out of this lesson you'll let me know I'm not imagining things'. The teacher turned his back and I could see his shoulders shaking.
big grin thumbsup
monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 08.01.13 16:50

In a history exam I only knew a handful of facts (if that) about Elizabeth I. I managed to write pages of waffle to pad out my lack of swatting. It was indeed picked up by the history teacher. He complimented me in red ink for my complete understanding of how it was to live in those times and to have written such an entertaining essay but would have liked more facts.

I didn't fail.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum