The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Many casualties when roof collapses in London theatre

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Many casualties when roof collapses in London theatre

Post by Guest on 19.12.13 21:48

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25458009#"

Let's hope that there are no fatalities.

Back to top Go down

Re: Many casualties when roof collapses in London theatre

Post by ultimaThule on 19.12.13 21:58

It sounds as if it'll be a miracle if there aren't any fatalities - but, fingers crossed, I hope all are safe and accounted for.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.12.13 22:47

I just saw it on the news.
I feel for the casualties, but I cannot help thinking .... HOW the heck is it possible that the roof of a public building collapses in a Western country ... ?????

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 19.12.13 23:17

Châtelaine wrote:I just saw it on the news.
I feel for the casualties, but I cannot help thinking .... HOW the heck is it possible that the roof of a public building collapses in a Western country ... ?????

Because it is a western country, and no one thinks to check the ceilings of buildings built in 1901 !
We just assume that Victorian buildings are somehow better.

All those lovely terraces of townhouses in Westminster, and Belgravia and along the Cromwel road are in fact "jerry built".
They dug out half a cellar and used the spoil for the road outside, hence the 'area'. The made hundreds to an identical patten.
Just the one set of architect's plans
We now consider them beautiful, but what horrors lurk within their construction ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 20.12.13 7:40

There are reports that there was a huge thunderstorm a short time before it happened.
Slow drip through a Victorian roof into the plaster moulding ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 20.12.13 8:22

@PeterMac wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:I just saw it on the news.

Because it is a western country, and no one thinks to check the ceilings of buildings built in 1901 !
We just assume that Victorian buildings are somehow better.

All those lovely terraces of townhouses in Westminster, and Belgravia and along the Cromwel road are in fact "jerry built".
They dug out half a cellar and used the spoil for the road outside, hence the 'area'. The made hundreds to an identical patten.
Just the one set of architect's plans
We now consider them beautiful, but what horrors lurk within their construction ?

They must have continued a tradition. The famous terraces of Regent's Park were also jerry built. One building collapsed during construction work. The 'cottages' of the  same period all had single-skinned walls, making them expensive to heat.
Lovely proporions though....
As to foundations, one house I know of couldn't cope with the weight of books and sank  an inch or so on that side.

On the other hand the first post war government planned to flatten all the terraces and replace them with tower blocks, which as we know, have continued the jerry-building tradition as these blocks gave a life expectancy of about 50 years.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 20.12.13 8:27

They are now showing the plans of the building.
FLAT roof (ca 1901)
and then of course the inner ceiling in one unsupported arch, with heavy plaster mouldings and a huge central chandelier.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 20.12.13 10:12

It's left to be seen who will point the finger at who.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bristow on 20.12.13 11:16

Thankfully no fatalities.

Every time I go to the theatre I always wonder about the balconies, they look like they could collapse at any moment.

My house was built in 1480 is timber framed, has no foundations and is single skin wall, padded out with wattle and daub, it sinks and rises, cracks appear in the newer plaster and then disappear again, the doors move -sometimes I can't unlock the back door as it has sunk so much then miraculously it's back to normal.  Worrying but then I think to myself it has stood here for many centuries and must have been built to last.

bristow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 20.12.13 11:22

This will be very worrying for all the other theatres built around the same time - or earlier.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 20.12.13 11:29

And to think, within the last few weeks, we were in 2 of those theatres, within yards of the Apollo. On 2 December, we were in the Queen's Theatre, watching Les Mis. I believe this theatre was used, last night, as a temp hospital for those injured in Apollo incident.  I can only imagine what must have been going through the minds of those in the Apollo when things started to go pear-shaped. Thank God that no one was killed, and those who were injured, will recover quickly.

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum