The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Primark condemned for selling padded bikinis for 7-year-olds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Primark condemned for selling padded bikinis for 7-year-olds

Post by ufercoffy on 14.04.10 9:20

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:44 AM on 14th April 2010
Comments (0) Add to My Stories Padded bikini tops have gone on sale in Primark stores aimed at girls as young as seven.
The £4 sets - which are a low-cut halterneck style - have padding in the cups which mean girls from the age of seven will look as if they have breasts. bigshock

It has sparked accusations that the high street chain is encouraging the sexualisation of young girls.
Criticised: Primark stores are selling padded bikinis in their children's range, which starts at age seven to eight

The tops come in candy pink with gold stars or black with white polka dots.
Child protection consultant Shy Keenan, of Phoenix Chief Advocates - which helps victims of paedophiles, said: 'It never fails to amaze us just how many ordinary High St household names are now prepared to exploit the disgusting ‘paedophile pound’ to feed a dark market that has no place in our society, let alone near our children.

'As victims advocates we know why you should never sexualise children or help to normalise the sexualisation of children.

'They may be learning how to look sexy in an adult way, but no one is teaching them what to do if they receive robust unwelcome adult attention.'
She urged parents to boycott the store.
Jenny Stallard, deputy editor of Practical Parenting and Pregnancy magazine said the padded bikini top was 'too much at too young an age'.
She added: 'No wonder girls are confused about their bodies and self image.'
Two years ago stores such as Marks & Spencer and Tesco were slammed for selling tiny bikinis to children as young as four, while in 2005, Asda were forced to withdraw a pink and black lace padded bra aimed at nine-year-olds.
Primark, which has 138 UK stores and 38 in Ireland, says on its website: 'Every girl wants to look her best and at Primark we make no exception for the younger ladies.

'All the high fashion trends can be found in our Girlswear section, no matter what age you are.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265859/Primark-condemned-selling-padded-bikinis-7-year-olds.html#ixzz0l3ozzvW5

ufercoffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Primark condemned for selling padded bikinis for 7-year-olds

Post by justagrannynow 1 on 14.04.10 10:04

My common sense self tells me to keep out of this as I have no daughters so my only experience is of my own childhood, which was many years ago. However, I have mixed feelings about it. I can recall dressing up in adult clothes and plastering my face with rouge and lipstick. Is this not the modern day equivalent ? Maybe little girls have always dreamed of when they would be grown up, all beautiful and admired for their looks. Should they be stopped from what is to them "pretend" or would it not be better to ensure more detection and prevention of the sick adults who would harm them? This reminds me of the argument that girls in mini skirts were to blame if they were raped.

The big difference that I can see is that I would never have been allowed out of the gate in my glad rags whereas todays children can parade their grown up fantasies for all to see, so how do we allow little girls to have their pretend dreams and also protect them?

Off now to hide from the flack.

justagrannynow 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 14.04.10 11:13

The way I figure it, no 9 year old girl goes clothes shopping without her parents - if they're selling, then it's because the parents are paying for them.

If they don't sell then Primark won't stock them any more.

I don't think it has anything to do with the 'paedophile pound'

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang on 14.04.10 14:40

What sort of parent would buy a padded bikini for a seven year old... thinking

kangdang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by justagrannynow 1 on 14.04.10 15:09

I agree. I suppose if there are parents stupid enough to buy their young daughters these outfits, they cannot be expected to have enough intelligence to be able to educate their children to the fact that there are dangers in the world, without scaring them to death. When something happens, it it then someone else's fault, and someone else's responsibility to put it right.
These parents deprive their daughters of the innocent delights of being able to dress up in safety.

justagrannynow 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum