The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Farmers Responsibilities towards their Animals

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Farmers Responsibilities towards their Animals

Post by Angelique on 30.03.13 9:47

Apologies in advance but I get angry with animal cruelty just as I do with child neglect.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/welfare/weather/

Snipped:

"During severe weather, although priority will be given to human needs, the welfare of animals is also important. Officials (Local Authorities and Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency) will monitor the situation closely in liaison with the RSPCA, NFU, and other organisations who play a role in assisting farmers and pet owners to protect the welfare of their animals.

This page provides general advice on a variety of severe weather situations:

severe cold weather
floods, and
hot weather

Under the law an animal keeper has a duty of care to his animals and is required to take reasonable steps to protect their welfare and prevent suffering - the legal responsibility is with the animal’s owner/keeper.
Farmers are expected to take reasonable steps to address animal welfare contingency planning as part of their farm business planning where it is known or could be anticipated that livestock might be at risk during severe weather.
Equine industry guidelines on welfare similarly require such business continuity plans.
As a general principle, animals must not be left in circumstances where they’re likely to suffer. If it is possible to take action, even if that action is killing by a veterinary surgeon or other legally competent person, then action should be taken.
In an emergency Animal Health, Local Authorities, RSPCA and others will do what they can to provide advice, and to facilitate means to prevent or alleviate the suffering of animals.

Severe cold weather
Advice to Farmers

During periods of bad weather farmers will already be working to ensure livestock is protected from the severe weather and that food and water is available. Farmers will be best placed to identify and source feed and water for their animals, for example by co-operating with neighbours if supplies run short or access is difficult.

It is important to ensure that where animals are kept outside drinking water troughs etc. are kept free of ice and that if pipes and other water supply fittings are blocked water is taken to the animals regularly.

If you face serious difficulties in sourcing supplies to protect the welfare of your animals, contact one of the organisations listed at the end of this page who will try and identify solutions in co-operation with each other.  Local Authorities (County and unitary councils) have statutory responsibilities in relation to animal health and welfare on farms, at markets and in transport, and can provide further advice and support. In an emergency the RSPCA will also provide help and advice."

IMO being a farmer requires a certain amount of care not only of one's Bank Account but the animals. Any farmer, even arable farmers have access to Met. Office weather reports every day. Not now and then but every day. It's the first thing on the list of things to do. So how come with plenty of warning, we saw through this recent bad weather,farmers complaining about their loss of animals and how how much money they have lost when, if they are raising animals they were not given shelter from the raging snow storms?

Animals given free reign will search out shelter, yes some probably would have died but these animals we understand were left in the fields to fend for themselves, unable to roam to find the necessary shelter. No proper shelter was given as far as I could make out. All I heard was complaints that they would have pay to have the cost of removal of dead animals thus incurring more loss! I expect whilst they were snuggled by the fire nice and warm they could not be bothered about the animals which were providing them with income. 

If I felt it would do some good I would report these so called farmers to the RSPCA.

But as usual it seems that we must again swallow the excuses for lack of care as something that can be glossed over - after all its a breaking news item - let's not think about the suffering involved.

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Farmers Responsibilities towards their Animals

Post by Nina on 30.03.13 10:40

This lady, Hannah Hawkswell knew how to care for her animals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlo4An-1YW0

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 30.03.13 11:33

Nina

Many thanks for then link.

I recall seeing Hanna struggle with life against the weather. It's always been the weather which controls what happens so how come some farmers think you can ignore it or worst still, blame it for their loss. It's inevitable that you should react accordingly.

What gets me is that these during these recent snow events they complain when they should have been adapting to the conditions.

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 30.03.13 11:37

@Angelique wrote:Nina

Many thanks for then link.

I recall seeing Hanna struggle with life against the weather. It's always been the weather which controls what happens so how come some farmers think you can ignore it or worst still, blame it for their loss. It's inevitable that you should react accordingly.

What gets me is that these during these recent snow events they complain when they should have been adapting to the conditions.

There is one thing that you can be sure of in the UK and that is weather, and often extreme weather. Bet they prepare for their own needs.
Hannah was a strong woman, still is I hope, and carried buckets of water for her own use and her animals too in terrible weather conditions. She loved her animals.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30.03.13 12:21

Listening to the news, and seeing some of the pictures in Scotland and Ireland, it seems that a lot of people were caught out by the snow drifts and many households have been cut off from help...some of the snow drifts are reported to be as high as telegraph poles and even snow ploughs and tractors couldn't get through to help some people or the thousands of sheep and lambs, which have frozen to death.

Some people have very little food and have had no electricity for several days and are even burning their furniture to keep warm. Helicopters are delivering food parcels.

I'm an animal lover and it's heartbreaking what happened to the sheep and lambs.

But at least, thankfully, people are helping each other as best they can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.03.13 3:36

Dear admin, dear all. On youtube the heartbreaking vids of Gareth Wyn Jones@1GarethWynJones for members on twitter. Video is called "Welsh farmer digging out sheep from over 5ft snowdrifts.
Twitter tip two is herdyshepherd@herdyshepherd1 And please have a look at his pics of his sheep dog Mac, gaga about lambs, cant take its eyes off them! Quoting herdyshepherd now.
Happy Easter
parapono

http://youtu.be/zhpturoYuJM

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 01.04.13 11:20

parapono

Thank you for the link.

I had watched some other YouTube rescues too and pleased to see the sheep survived in the snow. Well done those dogs!

My point is that the weather was forecast, even in the media, a week ahead of it's arrival. I can't accept that the farmers featured on some news stations saying they have suffered monetary losses from dead sheep because of the weather. Since the beginning of farming it has always depended on the weather. It's not new that winter arrives after summer they have lived on these farms through generations. They have at their fingertips up to date forecasts for their area so they should have provided shelter or let their sheep roam to find shelter where deaths would have been minimal.

I accept obviously that not all sheep will survive in exceptional conditions.

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 01.04.13 12:26

And always remember that this will affect the price of spring lamb in the butchers ! The male lambs are destined to die within a few weeks anyway. As are male calves in dairy herds, male chickens . . .

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum