The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Amanda Knox Retrial? * UPDATE* Trial to go ahead, acquittal overturned

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Amanda Knox Retrial? * UPDATE* Trial to go ahead, acquittal overturned

Post by Guest on 30.01.14 21:01

@bobbin wrote:Sky News Flash Alert.
I think they're saying Knox guilty
Now Confirmed

Yes, this is the Sky banner/ticker

Breaking News

Amanda Knox Found Guilty Of Kercher Murder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30.01.14 21:02

Sky nick pisa @NickPisa
#Knox is guilty. 28 years six months for her. Sollecito 25 years. He has to hand in passport.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 30.01.14 21:04

candyfloss wrote:Sky nick pisa @NickPisa
#Knox is guilty. 28 years six months for her. Sollecito 25 years. He has to hand in passport.

Justice for Meredith Kercher at last! Now bring back Amanda Knox from the U.S. - or let her serve her 28.5 years in a U.S. jail.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils on 30.01.14 21:06

Well it will be interesting to see how this plays out now. I understand that today's verdict will need to be ratified by another court, and then there will inevitably be another appeal.
But ultimately, the question is, if Knox really is guilty, as per today's judgement, how will she ever face justice?  sad

Lance De Boils

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30.01.14 21:07

@Tony Bennett wrote:
candyfloss wrote:Sky nick pisa @NickPisa

Justice for Meredith Kercher at last! Now bring back Amanda Knox from the U.S. - or let her serve her 28.5 years in a U.S. jail.

I don't think they will manage to extradite her.  I was reading somewhere today on BBC something about the US law on not being re-tried for the same offence, and not being part of extradition.  Will go have a look.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 30.01.14 21:07

Sounds like they have a chitload of financial penalties and costs as well.
 They will get sollecito and slam him in jail since he is in the  and could try and flee especially since he isn't in court. he is allegedly in florence will he run or not?

knox will fight extradition no doubt claiming double jeopardy except it isn't . they are not retrying hr for the same crime, this is part three of the legal system and both can still appeal to the suprreme court who will validate or not the verdict.

What i wonder now is, since she is now a convicted murder will the book company demand their money back since it is based on a lie?

if so then the knox's are screwed since  they will have tp pay back the book money and advance, they will also be liable for all the fines and legal costs and, since knox pretty much bankrupted her family when they bought high priced lawyers and PR to defend her.

if she paid her family back then how will they repay money back to the book company, who will pay the legal fees and fines and will her family now go bankrupt?

Will they try and do a deal and have her serve her time in the States or will Italy seek to extradite her?

Will the States risk everything to defend a convicted murderer?

Will an extradition treaty be created?

As it now stands knox can never leave the states since if she flies to any country with an extradtion treat with Italy will arrest and extradite her.

Hobs

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 30.01.14 21:08

Let's hope her arrogance brings her in an area where she can be arrested and extradited.

I fear she has too many financial supporters to pull every trick in the book.

Throw her in jail already.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 30.01.14 21:20

@Lance De Boils wrote:Well it will be interesting to see how this plays out now. I understand that today's verdict will need to be ratified by another court, and then there will inevitably be another appeal.

But ultimately, the question is, if Knox really is guilty, as per today's judgement, how will she ever face justice?  

She has faced justice - and been found guilty.

Even if she never serves a day in prison, the sentence today is a permanent punishment - of a kind, anyway

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 30.01.14 21:38

Hobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils on 30.01.14 21:59

Tony, I shall rephrase:
How will she ever face her punishment?

I don't think the verdict itself is anywhere near punishment enough. Not even close. Especially as Knox doesn't come across as the type of person whose conscience would ever weigh her down.

Lance De Boils

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magrat70 on 30.01.14 22:19

Knox will never go back. The Americans are contrary when it comes extradition, let's hope the arrogant little ***** will go on holiday to somewhere like Canada and then find herself back behind bars. Rip Meredith let's never forget the victim of this terrible and sadistic crime

magrat70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 30.01.14 22:27

Once again justice has been done for Meredith and it now remains to be seen whether it can be undone once more by this pair of murderers.  

In noting that the Court handed down a longer sentence to Knox than they awarded Sollecito, I'm relieved to know that some judges are aware that the female of the species can be deadlier than the male.  

As always, my sincere and deepest sympathies to Meredith's family.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 30.01.14 22:58

@Hobs wrote:Sounds like they have a chitload of financial penalties and costs as well.
 They will get sollecito and slam him in jail since he is in the  and could try and flee especially since he isn't in court. he is allegedly in florence will he run or not?

knox will fight extradition no doubt claiming double jeopardy except it isn't . they are not retrying hr for the same crime, this is part three of the legal system and both can still appeal to the suprreme court who will validate or not the verdict.

What i wonder now is, since she is now a convicted murder will the book company demand their money back since it is based on a lie?

if so then the knox's are screwed since  they will have tp pay back the book money and advance, they will also be liable for all the fines and legal costs and, since knox pretty much bankrupted her family when they bought high priced lawyers and PR to defend her.

if she paid her family back then how will they repay money back to the book company, who will pay the legal fees and fines and will her family now go bankrupt?

Will they try and do a deal and have her serve her time in the States or will Italy seek to extradite her?

Will the States risk everything to defend a convicted murderer?

Will an extradition treaty be created?

As it now stands knox can never leave the states since if she flies to any country with an extradtion treat with Italy will arrest and extradite her.

I doubt her publisher will demand money back. In fact I read her story (or case) will be made into a movie.
Extradition Treaty exists between USA and Italy. Whether US officials will deny the extradition request or not is all down to how legal experts in US play the political card.
There will be lawyers who will argue for and lawyers who will argue against the extradition.
Effectively Knox is now a fugitive in the States. I think she'll be placed on the Interpol Alert "arrest on sight" list.
If she steps out of America, countries with Extradition Treaties with Italy will have to hand her over to Italy.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 30.01.14 23:08

Sollecito's lawyer Giulia Bongiorno confirmed that her client would appeal to Italy's highest court, and Knox's lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova said he was "stunned". The court will publish the reasons for its verdict in 90 days.

If final appeals are heard, neither Knox nor Sollecito would face arrest or jail time until a final verdict by the highest court.

Knox is in the United States and would have to be extradited to serve her sentence. The court banned Sollecito from leaving Italy.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 30.01.14 23:27

And so the agony goes on for Meredith's family.  It's heartbreaking and so very, very, unfair.

How they must wish their darling girl had never set eyes on Knox, but who would have thought such a propensity for evil could be embodied in such a young woman?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 30.01.14 23:44

If Knox is retried after she was acquitted, that would violate her constitutional rights, said Christopher Blakesley, a law professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas who specializes in international criminal law. On the other hand, the United States entered into an extradition treaty and, in doing so, accepted Italy's criminal justice system, he added.

It doesn't apply since the crime was committed in Italy and the trial is conducted under Italian Law.

Will the US risk diplomatic problems and all that that entails to protect a convicted murderer or will they say here she is  you deal with her, see you in 28 yrs ( although the time she has served may be deducted from it bringing it down to 24 and change and with parole she could be out after 12 or so.

What i expect to see is her family hiring spin doctors etc to paint Italian law in a bad light and also lawyers to sort out any repayment of monies ( since the book was sold on a lie ie she was innocent) how will the family pay for all this since they nearly bankrupted themselves paying for knox's defence plus the parents als faced slander charges.

It wouldn't surprise me if they say we don't have the money to fight the courts etc etc and knox will return but it will be everyone elses fault she didn't have the best most expensive  defence.

Hobs

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 30.01.14 23:46

AMANDA KNOX'S FULL STATEMENT

First and foremost it must be recognized that there is no consolation for the Kercher family. Their grief over Meredith's terrible murder will follow them forever. They deserve respect and support.

I am frightened and saddened by this unjust verdict. Having been found innocent before, I expected better from the Italian justice system. The evidence and accusatory theory do not justify a verdict of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Rather, nothing has changed. There has always been a marked lack of evidence. My family and I have suffered greatly from this wrongful persecution.

This has gotten out of hand. Most troubling is that it was entirely preventable. I beseech those with the knowledge and authority to address and remediate the problems that worked to pervert the course of justice and waste the valuable resources of the system: overzealous and intransigent prosecution, prejudiced and narrow-minded investigation, unwillingness to admit mistake, reliance on unreliable testimony and evidence, character assassination, inconsistent and unfounded accusatory theory, and counterproductive and coercive interrogation techniques that produce false confessions and inaccurate statements.

Clearly a wrongful conviction is horrific for the wrongfully accused, but it is also terribly bad for the victim, their surviving family, and society.

Why didn't Knox's lawyer tell her to shut up? Unless she's client who refuses to heed advice; leaving herself open to more pitfall.
Normally client leaves it to their lawyer to comment.
Reminds me of the other Mrs who's exactly the same - narcissistic.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 31.01.14 0:17

@Hobs wrote:If Knox is retried after she was acquitted, that would violate her constitutional rights, said Christopher Blakesley, a law professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas who specializes in international criminal law. On the other hand, the United States entered into an extradition treaty and, in doing so, accepted Italy's criminal justice system, he added.

It doesn't apply since the crime was committed in Italy and the trial is conducted under Italian Law.

Will the US risk diplomatic problems and all that that entails to protect a convicted murderer or will they say here she is  you deal with her, see you in 28 yrs ( although the time she has served may be deducted from it bringing it down to 24 and change and with parole she could be out after 12 or so.

What i expect to see is her family hiring spin doctors etc to paint Italian law in a bad light and also lawyers to sort out any repayment of monies ( since the book was sold on a lie ie she was innocent) how will the family pay for all this since they nearly bankrupted themselves paying for knox's defence plus the parents als faced slander charges.

It wouldn't surprise me if they say we don't have the money to fight the courts etc etc and knox will return but it will be everyone elses fault she didn't have the best most expensive  defence.

It would be silly for her family to hire spin doctors at this stage, too late for that. It's gone beyond damage limitation.
Besides, Amanda proves herself capable of undoing spin doctors.
She's been on TV sofas being scathing the Italian Police, lying that the Police hit her.
Her body language had been closely observed by experts with mostly unfavourable comments.

Her parents were threatened with potential lawsuit by Italian Police for libel, promised to be filed when this verdict is had.
They would be hoping the Italian Police wont follow this through.
If they were foolish to aggravate the situation, they will only be digging a bigger hole for themselves.

The costs read out in Court weren't astronomical running to ten of thousands (not hundred of thousands). Affordable to Knox given the $3.8m book deal provided it has not all gone to the previous appeal.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loopzdaloop on 31.01.14 0:32

Still don't think she did it. 

When Amanda Knox was initially acquitted there was a good article in the news paper (that I can't find at the moment) detailing all the shakey evidence against her and how they failed to follow proper protocols with regard to the collection of DNA. Subsequent to her acquittal we had all these stories about the pressure the lead prosecutor was over this. Furthermore, Italy from top to tail is one of the most endemically corrupt legal systems in the world. 
There is a man in prison for the murder, who has part of a 'plea bargain' for reduced jail time pointed towards Knox and Sollicito as being involved. Yes her 'story changed', but how mature do people think students really are in any given situation? From the reading of it, I just don't think she knew the gravity of what she had let herself in for. The motive of 'robbery' sits as nicely as the likelihood of burglars for the Mccanns. I think it all stinks to high heaven and if Sollicito has any sense he will get out of that country.

loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 31.01.14 0:51

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/amanda-knox-prison-meredith-kercher-murder

Amanda's Interview with the Guardian.
First part of the interview conducted in a Cafe, then continued in her home.
She came across as angry (second half interview in her home) contrived and incongruous.
Very difficult to watch.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loopzdaloop on 31.01.14 0:52

@aiyoyo wrote:
AMANDA KNOX'S FULL STATEMENT

First and foremost it must be recognized that there is no consolation for the Kercher family. Their grief over Meredith's terrible murder will follow them forever. They deserve respect and support.

I am frightened and saddened by this unjust verdict. Having been found innocent before, I expected better from the Italian justice system. The evidence and accusatory theory do not justify a verdict of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Rather, nothing has changed. There has always been a marked lack of evidence. My family and I have suffered greatly from this wrongful persecution.

This has gotten out of hand. Most troubling is that it was entirely preventable. I beseech those with the knowledge and authority to address and remediate the problems that worked to pervert the course of justice and waste the valuable resources of the system: overzealous and intransigent prosecution, prejudiced and narrow-minded investigation, unwillingness to admit mistake, reliance on unreliable testimony and evidence, character assassination, inconsistent and unfounded accusatory theory, and counterproductive and coercive interrogation techniques that produce false confessions and inaccurate statements.

Clearly a wrongful conviction is horrific for the wrongfully accused, but it is also terribly bad for the victim, their surviving family, and society.

Why didn't Knox's lawyer tell her to shut up?  Unless she's client who refuses to heed advice; leaving herself open to more pitfall.
Normally client leaves it to their lawyer to comment.
Reminds me of the other Mrs who's exactly the same - narcissistic.  

If I as innocent of something, I wouldn't shut up.
In fact ever since a child, If I have been accused of something that I have not done... I have never shut up.

aiyoyohttp://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/amanda-knox-prison-meredith-kercher-murder

Amanda's Interview with the Guardian.
First part of the interview conducted in a Cafe, then continued in her home. 
She came across as angry (second half interview in her home)  contrived and incongruous.
Very difficult to watch.

I interpreted that video differently. Her reactions to the situation made sense to me in the context of her using drugs around the time period and not understanding the gravity of the situation. She says herself she 'was a kid' when it happened.

loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 31.01.14 1:16

Have you read extensively about the case?
http://themurderofmeredithkercher.com/Main_Page

The evidence against her was overwhelming.  
She tripped up to flatmates when she revealed crime detail that could only be known to the Murderer.

She was acquitted because of a flawed Appeal Court's decision; that's why Prosecutor pursued the case.  
Appeal Court failed to take into account collective evidence.  All the circumstantial evidence (which incidentally is damning) was naturally never presented by appeal side to Court.  
Appeal Court based decision on Defence's presentation of Independent assessors' testimonies on forensic evidence on piece-meal basis.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 31.01.14 1:29

Her statement  re: the verdict was telling. Instead of saying the verdict was wrong because she didn't do it ) i would look for a strong first person singular, past tense event specific denial) she doesn't make a strong reliable denial, instead she bad mouths everyone.

She even claims a false confession was coerced out of her. This is part of what she got charged with slander as she claimed the police had abused her when they hadn't. Even her own lawyer said they hadn't. Her parents who repeated the claims also face slander charges.

If it was a false confession it would have been revealed in her words in her freely written statement in english.

counterproductive and coercive interrogation techniques that produce false confessions and inaccurate statements.

This is telling in that she admits there were confessions, sher however claims they were coerced which they weren't.

She doesn't say the statements were false or untrue, only that they were inaccurate.

How were the statements inaccurate?

What was meant by counterproductive and coersive  interrogation techniques?

She was initially treated as a witness not a suspect.

Her story kept changing and when reading her statement she appears to be writing it as if she was high on a hallucinogeic such as LSD rather than having smoked a bit of dope.

Will she continue to fight?

Will she try and do a deal so she serves her time in the States?
Will she roll on sollecito in order to get a reduced sentence?

Hobs

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 31.01.14 1:52

@Hobs wrote:Her statement  re: the verdict was telling. Instead of saying the verdict was wrong because she didn't do it ) i would look for a strong first person singular, past tense event specific denial) she doesn't make a strong reliable denial, instead she bad mouths everyone.

She even claims a false confession was coerced out of her. This is part of what she got charged with slander as she claimed the police had abused her when they hadn't. Even her own lawyer said they hadn't. Her parents who repeated the claims also face slander charges.

If it was a false confession it would have been revealed in her words in her freely written statement in english.

counterproductive and coercive interrogation techniques that produce false confessions and inaccurate statements.

This is telling in that she admits there were confessions, sher however claims they were coerced which they weren't.

She doesn't say the statements were false or untrue, only that they were inaccurate.

How were the statements inaccurate?

What was meant by counterproductive and coersive  interrogation techniques?

She was initially treated as a witness not a suspect.

Her story kept changing and when reading her statement she appears to be writing it as if she was high on a hallucinogeic such as LSD rather than having smoked a bit of dope.

Will she continue to fight?

Will she try and do a deal so she serves her time in the States?
Will she roll on sollecito in order to get a reduced sentence?

Yeap, her persistent bad mouthing of everyone is doing her a disservice.

People argued she's young vulnerable and afraid, yet on the other hand she demonstrates total independence and confidence beyond her age.
 Her continual action of persistent PR,  interviews and spin is antithesis to those arguments.
She comes across as controlled and manipulated in an educated way.

Her statement is thorough and a well thought out piece, not something written in a hurry.
It appears to me she had prepared the Statement on stand-by, meaning she half expected this verdict.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum