The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

The 'Bedroom Tax' - thousands protest

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The 'Bedroom Tax' - thousands protest

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 18:59

Just wondering about members views on this. I find it totally abhorrent, to cut benefits if you have a spare room.
16 March 2013 Last updated at 18:32

Housing benefit change protests held

Protests have taken place
across the country, including Manchester.

Thousands have been demonstrating in
a series of cities against government plans to cut housing benefit for those
considered to have too much space.
Protests against the plan - labelled the "bedroom tax" by Labour - have been
held in 52 towns and cities, including Manchester and London.

Organisers said between 12,000 and 13,000 people turned out.

The government's welfare changes are due to come in in April and are expected
to affect 660,000 people.

Those deemed to have a spare room in their council or housing association
home will have their housing benefit claims reduced by £40-£80.

The protests' national organiser, Éoin Clarke, said: "This is a cruel policy
that primarily hits single parents, and the adult disabled.

"Even children deemed disabled but not 'severely' so, are affected. Carers,
the terminally-ill, battered wives and husbands are all affected.

HOW WILL THE CHANGES WORK

• The new rules will affect housing benefit, which is paid to less well-off
    tenants to help with rent. Typically claimants receive between £50 and £100 a
    week.
  • From next month, families deemed to have too much living space by their
    local authorities will receive a reduced payment.
  • Under the government's so-called "size criteria", families will be assessed
    for the number of bedrooms they actually need.
  • If tenants are deemed to have one spare room, the amount of rent eligible
    for housing benefit will be cut by 14%. If they have two or more spare rooms,
    the cut will be 25%.
  • The government estimates that 660,000 households will have their benefit
    cut, roughly a third of social sector claimants. Only those of working age will
    see reduced payments.

"Soldiers living in single accommodation or indeed
foster parents with more than one foster child are hit, despite the government's
talk of a U-turn.

"There are times in history when people must stand together in defence of
common decency - that time has come."
'Spare room
subsidies'

The government estimates that roughly a third of social sector claimants will
have their benefit cut. Only those of working age will see reduced payments.

But foster carers and families of armed services personnel will be exempt
from controversial changes to housing benefit, ministers have said.

Prime Minister David Cameron and Labour leader Ed Miliband have been involved
in a fierce war of words over the issue for weeks, with the Mr Miliband branding
the policy as a "bedroom tax".

The prime minister has insisted the proposals are not a tax and will,
instead, see curbs on what he has called existing "spare room subsidies".

No 10 has defended the policy as a whole, saying it was important to address
pressure on social housing waiting lists and growing overcrowding.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21815636

Back to top Go down

Re: The 'Bedroom Tax' - thousands protest

Post by aquila on 16.03.13 19:08

Snipped from Candyfloss' post.

'No 10 has defended the policy as a whole, saying it was important to address
pressure on social housing waiting lists and growing overcrowding.'

This tax is cruel imo. Why not build more houses instead of carving up the countryside (apparently illegally) to install a fast train to London? Why not invest in the building trade, award apprenticeships, reclaim brownfield/industrial buildings in the cities. Why not curtail foreign aid to countries who use it for anything but?

Why not just bloody invest in this country and leave those who need social housing alone? A bedroom tax I ask you! It will cost more to administrate than it will put into the coffers. Still never mind, the poor will pay.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 16.03.13 19:13

How many spare bedrooms do the Royal Family have. Start with the mega rich first.

The Tories tried this on last time they were in power but it was quashed - well they were booted out before they could get it going.

Tories, Liebour, Lib dems all useless articles imo but who is there who can get us back on track.

Kick the lot of them out.

All they seem to be interested in is keeping z z z list celebs happy and a good few of them choose to live outside of the UK for most of the year thus avoid paying taxes here.

Hacked Off - YES I AM WITH THE WHOLE SORRY BUNCH OF THEM.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 19:17

Those deemed to have a spare room in their council or housing association

home will have their housing benefit claims reduced by £40-£80

So people are not allowed a spare room, to have their family stay. What happens when your children are old enough and leave your house,are you are expected to uproot and move to a smaller property God knows where, after living in the same house for donkey's years. £40-£80 is an awful lot of money to those relying on it........... The world has gone mad!!

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 16.03.13 19:22

I read in the week that it was being mooted that a dining room tax was being planned as well.

Listen you plebs you are not allowed to eat in a dining room, you are not allowed a spare bedroom - REMEMBER you are cannon fodder only. Do not even think of rising above your station. You will obey, you will obey.

If you disagree or protest we do not need to set the army/police on you, we will get you imprisoned through the courts for speaking out. KNOW YOUR PLACE.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 16.03.13 19:42

There are a lot of upper/middle class people on benefits. Will the government be requiring them to sell their properties and move into 'minimum space' in order to reduce the benefits bill?

Keep the borders open, let anyone and everyone into UK because there is an agreement with the EU, crisis manage education, NHS, benefits and housing. Keep paying endless sums in legal aid for the human rights of terrorists to live in UK. Keep paying for the set-up of more quangos, public enquiries and reports. Above all, privatise everything, create an enormous fatty layer between the responsibility of the government and service delivery.

Oh dear, I think I've just nailed my colours to the mast.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 19:45

Aquila, it is only those who are tenants of councils or housing associations that are being penalised.

ETA - Sorry, I misread your post. I see what you mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 19:47

That does make it sound less dreadful in my opinion. Presumably tenants who no longer need such large homes can be found something smaller by their landlords.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 16.03.13 19:51

candyfloss wrote:Aquila, it is only those who are tenants of councils or housing associations that are being penalised.

Yes Candyfloss, I realise that. I wanted to make the point that there are a lot of home-owners on benefits too.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 19:53

Jean wrote:That does make it sound less dreadful in my opinion. Presumably tenants who no longer need such large homes can be found something smaller by their landlords.

So no spare room allowed then Jean? What about Granchildren that want to stay with Granny and Grandad. What about having to get out of your home you have lived in for years, got to know the neighbours, maybe convenient for shops etc., the home you love and maybe re-furbished at your own cost, to then have to move out because you have a spare room? I would find that really stressful and upsetting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 19:58

Yes I do agree - another not very well thought out idea and, as someone else said, it will be a nightmare to implement.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 16.03.13 20:09

candyfloss wrote:
Jean wrote:That does make it sound less dreadful in my opinion. Presumably tenants who no longer need such large homes can be found something smaller by their landlords.

So no spare room allowed then Jean? What about Granchildren that want to stay with Granny and Grandad. What about having to get out of your home you have lived in for years, got to know the neighbours, maybe convenient for shops etc., the home you love and maybe re-furbished at your own cost, to then have to move out because you have a spare room? I would find that really stressful and upsetting.

I agree Candyfloss.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kinell on 16.03.13 20:12

And what about the cost of having to move out and downsize? Removals aren't cheap - neither is having to re-carpet another house...council houses/housing association don't come with carpets/curtains etc. Some people, as you say candyflosss, may have refurbished their house at their own cost just before the bedroom tax came in only to learn they have to do it all over again.

How will people pay for the cost of removals and setting up home again just because they've got a spare room? This could tip some emotionally or mentally fragile people over the edge.

I wonder how long before the Government start building gas chambers to get rid of those that they don't want in the UK - the sick, the poor, the disabled, the elderly, those with a spare room or a dining room etc.

kinell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 16.03.13 20:46

I amraspberry rippld and live in a 2 bed disabled bungalow.

I originally moved in as a carer to my mom who was riddled with arthritis ( it runs in our family) as well as OCPD. Asthma. Emphysema, Diabetes, Uneractive thyroid, overweight, myxoedema and other smaoking and age related ailments.

We live to a decent age, we get crocked real early though.

I developed ME/CFS probably as a result of a severe case of glandular fever and then ended up with a frozen left shoulder. a torn rotor cuff in my right shoulder after i recycled myself and fell in a wheelie bin. I also have arthritis in all joints, a burn spur and bursitis in my right hip and a right knee that doesn't like where it's at and BPVD ( crap balance due to crystals in my ear)

As i am now registered raspberry ippled i was allowed to stay in the bungalow once mom popped her clogs ( 2 strokes 4 weeks apart)

I have been told i will now have to find nearly £12 a week as i have a spare room.

There are no 1 bedroom disabled bungalows or flats, if oushed i could ask my neighbor to move in ( she was a carer for her mom who had parkinsosn so they had the other disabled bungalow in my walk) as her mom is now dead she has to move out to a 1 bed flat.

I don't want her to move in since she is schizophrenic and alcoholic.

When she has one of her turns she knows to come to me and i then take whatever action is needed regarding calling her dr etc, giving her any meds she is allowed that isn't contraindicated with the booze and so on.

I am a bossy first responder, they do what i tell them when i tell them. I don't minimise nor do i judge, i use humor to keep things calm.

I am going to go to the council and discuss my options since £48 a month is lot when i am on a fixed income.

Some have said the disabled are exempt i will check on this.

I can see why the governemt is doing this when there a single adults living in 3 bed council houses now the family has moved out.

What should be exempt is where the adult or couple are elderly, disabled or infirm and a spare bedroom is needed if they have to have a carer stay over when they are struggling to manage.

Each case should be taken on it's merits.

Council properties where the tenants are fit, healthy and have no need for a spare room should be persuades to downsize.

tenant of private housing who are fit etc the same, downsize to a property that suits their needs (plus rents will be cheaper)

People don't choose to be old, infirm or disabled, I know i would rather be fit and healthy and working. I would happily move into a 1 bed property.

Heck i would move into a 1 bed property now if it could be fixed to allow for my needs ( no stairs, sockets at waist level. walk in shower and handrails in shower and toilet wide doors to allow for wheelchair to get around ( when i am too stiff and sore to move)

I will update you on what happens once i have talked to citizens advice and the council.

Hobs

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 16.03.13 20:48

I think the problem is partly to do with the lack of enough available social housing to meet demand. Policies in recent years have seen councils sell off social housing at ridiculous prices way under market value, so no surprises there are shortages now. I don't agree with the new policy as it very unfair on those who have lived somewhere all their lives and are being forced to move now, even though their circumstances haven't changed.

However there are also some people that feel they are entitled to a large council property and I guess this is what they are trying to address. I know one case where a single father was making himself intentionally homeless because he refused to take a number of one bedroom flats he was offered, because he wanted a two bed flat so he could have his son to stay over. He didn't have custody and the child could hardly stay with him while he was homeless, so a sofa bed in the lounge would have been fine for staying over occasionally. Better to have a property than no property surely?

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 16.03.13 20:59

@aquila wrote:There are a lot of upper/middle class people on benefits. Will the government be requiring them to sell their properties and move into 'minimum space' in order to reduce the benefits bill?

Keep the borders open, let anyone and everyone into UK because there is an agreement with the EU, crisis manage education, NHS, benefits and housing. Keep paying endless sums in legal aid for the human rights of terrorists to live in UK. Keep paying for the set-up of more quangos, public enquiries and reports. Above all, privatise everything, create an enormous fatty layer between the responsibility of the government and service delivery.

Oh dear, I think I've just nailed my colours to the mast.

And I am saluting them.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.03.13 23:31

Just posted this on another thread re the trolls targeting KM, but the main headline fits in here, how are things going to get any better, people already cutting back, and cutting benefits will only make matters ten times worse. People have less and less money to spend, the economy worsens, more people lose jobs, more benefits paid out..........so why the hell cut them in the first place. Save a few quid inthe short term but lose millions in the long term.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 17.03.13 6:56

It's definitely short-term thinking Candyfloss and has nothing to do with growth.

I took a look at the plans for tax-payer bailed out RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland). Spending public money with no accountability speaks for itself so it seems.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/12/rbs-doubt-government-selloff

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.03.13 8:44

I agree with all your comments candyfloss, the rich not only have spare bedrooms they have spare houses aswell.

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.03.13 9:19

There is no need for this tax to be imposed.

Do not give 12 billion pound a year to other countries - some of those countries have huge amounts to spend on space programmes. where is the sense in that.

Stop sending money to families of people who have come to this country, yet hey never set foot on British soil.

Stop NHS tourism. Using taxpayers funding to pay for health tourists to have surgery and hospital appts without ever repaying a penny.

The list goes on and on and yet they punish the old, sick and disabled people of this country.

This government and all MPs have the cheek to criticise other countries who keep their people poor.

We are a very rich country and yet the politicians, bankers and Royals get richer and rub our noses in their wealth.

If the politicans acted for their own people, (they are our servants) then we would all be able to enjoy a good standard of living.

It is our money they give away not their own. Their own money is very nicely looked after thank you very much.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.03.13 10:01

YET ANOTHER WASTE OF OUR BILLIONS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294560/The-great-green-1-The-hard-proof-finally-shows-global-warming-forecasts-costing-billions-WRONG-along.html

Global warning forecasts were wrong all along. Now why am I not surprised.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30.03.13 21:59

Bedroom tax: Protesters turn out in their thousands to march on Downing Street

30 Mar 2013 18:01

And dozens of other protests sprang up across the country as almost 26,000 people took to the streets in fury

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bedroom-tax-protesters-turn-out-1794079

And this...

Bedroom tax: Iain Duncan Smith lives rent free in £2million country home with at least FOUR spare bedrooms

30 Mar 2013 20:46

The Old Etonian - the man behind the hated tex - is a tenant of the landed gentry Fremantle family

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bedroom-tax-iain-duncan-smith-1794517

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 30.03.13 22:29

IMO this is not about saving money because of the deficit in the country.

As I have said before I can remember the Tories were talking of making people take in lodgers or face losing money when they were last in power. I believe they have waited a long time and now they have the "excuse" they need to keep the cannon fodder in their place.

Start with the rich who have spare bedrooms(all parties) and are claiming expenses every day and flipping their mortgages. These are handouts from the taxpayer. What hypocrites most of our politicians are.

Of course people who come into the country having never worked and have big families will not be affected because they can fill the bedrooms. Why doesn't IDS or any of his colleagues offer them a room in one of their homes.

All in it together - yep that's right the poor get kicked out of their homes and the rich get richer and live very luxurious lifestyles thank you very much. duh

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 31.03.13 9:15

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301756/Royal-Marines-patrol-Boat-Race-prevent-repeat-years-disruption-protester-jumped-river-halt-event.html

I hope taxpayers' money is not being used for the security.

A bunch of toffs who can afford to build a new luxury boathouse plus much more imo should foot the bill.

Edited to add: commandos will be "armed" with thermal imaging equipment. Purleeeassee.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 03.04.13 0:42

Bit of a kick in the teeth for all the people having benefits and disability cuts, which incidentally came into effect on Monday the same day as the cuts, but was kept rather quiet.......

Queen's funding to rise by £5m under new Sovereign Grant

The new grant, which came into full effect on Monday, replaces the old system of the Civil List and grants-in-aid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22003165

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum