The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Royal Prank Call Nurse 'Commits Suicide'

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Royal Prank Call Nurse 'Commits Suicide'

Post by tigger on 08.12.12 16:51

@PeterMac wrote:Apparently two large supermarket chains have already withdrawn their advertising from the channel.
If those two lose their jobs it will more likely be for financial reasons than for reasons of lack of taste or poor professionalism.
Money talks.

(Incidentally does anyone know what a DJ actually does, except put records on a turntable from time to time after reading out the words on the label.
And from that does anyone know why "Quiz Masters" are held in such high regard. Or indeed "News readers" or nowadays "presenters".)

I don't know what a DJ does - in my youth it was thought to be the height of 'cool' to have a DJ boyfriend. Went out with one once, found him singularly lacking in conversational skills. He gave me a free LP (Steeleye Span) as a 'get you into bed' present. I took a taxi home. Alone. smilie

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl on 08.12.12 16:57

@ShabbyTiger wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:Please do not put words into my mouth. I said it was not cruel imo, that is not the same as thinking it was a bit of fun.
No way do I think what the pair did was a "bit of fun." I think it was stupid, immature and thoughtless, exactly what I expect from a pair of 20-something radio presenters after publicity and ratings.
It is their employers who passed this as ok to go ahead, they should carry any can imo.
Cruel is not a word I would apply to what the pair did, there was no malice meant as far as I can ascertain and they I am sure thought they would not get past go.

I did not put words in your mouth. Not cruel and no malice meant, eh? So you think that making a call, knowing full well that the nurses concerned could potentially get into very serious trouble, isn't cruel or malicious? What do you class as cruel and malicious then, if you don't think these actions were? In fact I'd go as far as to say that anyone who would pull a stunt like this, knowing very well that people could get into very serious trouble, were in fact nasty, malicious pieces of work.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it, ST? It was a school boy prank that ended with a tragic consequence and I believe no malice was ever intended. The Aussie presenters are not blameless, but they would have been forgotten the next day were it not for the death of Jacintha Saldanha.

We don't know what pushed her to the point of taking her own life. The well publicised prank may have been the direct cause, or may have been a catalyst adding to the strain she was already under to make that fatal decision. We have been told that the hospital was not about to take any disciplinary action against her and the Royal Household was very understanding of her situation and never made an official complaint. I believe this should now remain a matter for her family and the tabloid press would do well to refrain from invading their privacy any further.

Ribisl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 08.12.12 17:02

@ShabbyTiger wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:Please do not put words into my mouth. I said it was not cruel imo, that is not the same as thinking it was a bit of fun.
No way do I think what the pair did was a "bit of fun." I think it was stupid, immature and thoughtless, exactly what I expect from a pair of 20-something radio presenters after publicity and ratings.
It is their employers who passed this as ok to go ahead, they should carry any can imo.
Cruel is not a word I would apply to what the pair did, there was no malice meant as far as I can ascertain and they I am sure thought they would not get past go.

I did not put words in your mouth. Not cruel and no malice meant, eh? So you think that making a call, knowing full well that the nurses concerned could potentially get into very serious trouble, isn't cruel or malicious? What do you class as cruel and malicious then, if you don't think these actions were? In fact I'd go as far as to say that anyone who would pull a stunt like this, knowing very well that people could get into very serious trouble, were in fact nasty, malicious pieces of work.

I think it was cruel in the same way that a child will do something 'thoughtless' - they want something and they go and get it. Utterly without awareness of consequences. If this pair had a personality other than the artificial one acquired 'because it's cool' they might have thought it would be intrusive and in fact not very funny. The selfish generation spawned in the last two decades never had to think about consequences of their actions. They're young, they're cool, hip, bad, whatever the going term is and all publicity is good. Self promotion and self love are the result of treating children like little gods.
Wouldn't be surprised if they feel hard done by right now.
They've been allowed to keep on behaving like 8 year olds until well into their twenties, thank the education system, thank the parents but above all, thank the youth culture for thinking they can do what they like and say what they like. Being a 'celebrity' seems to be the be-all end-all.

I could also name some people who by their late thirties should have seen the celebrity culture for what it is. But the wish to belong to it seems to be contagious.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShabbyTiger on 08.12.12 17:06

@Ribisl wrote:[It was a school boy prank .

A school boy prank is hiding someone's glasses/school-books for 5 minutes. Doing something that you know very well may get someone into very serious trouble at work, and then still going ahead with it and broadcasting it (without the permission of the nurses) is downright malicious and nasty. They didn't give a stuff that people might get into serious trouble.

ShabbyTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 08.12.12 17:41

I'm astounded that none of the security forces, neither the hospital's nor the bodyguards and their superiors, thought to screen calls. Deh!

I weep for the poor girl, she must have been traumatized.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 08.12.12 17:42

@ShabbyTiger wrote:
@Ribisl wrote:[It was a school boy prank .

A school boy prank is hiding someone's glasses/school-books for 5 minutes. Doing something that you know very well may get someone into very serious trouble at work, and then still going ahead with it and broadcasting it (without the permission of the nurses) is downright malicious and nasty. They didn't give a stuff that people might get into serious trouble.

They didn't give a stuff about the humiliation of the person involved either went it went Worldwide and they boasted about it to all and sundry.

I don't suppose they give a stuff about Jacintha's ordinary family now being thrown into the limelight when her burial takes place. No doubt photos of her husband and chidren will be plastered all over the front pages of the newspapers and on every website going, just in the name of two brainless DJs who probaby get paid thousands of dollars more in one year than this hard worked, dedicated nurse could ever have imagined earning in a lifetime.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShabbyTiger on 08.12.12 18:02

@Newintown wrote:
They didn't give a stuff about the humiliation of the person involved either went it went Worldwide and they boasted about it to all and sundry.

I don't suppose they give a stuff about Jacintha's ordinary family now being thrown into the limelight when her burial takes place. No doubt photos of her husband and chidren will be plastered all over the front pages of the newspapers and on every website going, just in the name of two brainless DJs who get paid no doubt thousands of dollars more in one year than this hard worked, dedicated nurse could ever have imagined in a lifetime.

Exactly. The way that this radio station is trying to make out that the two presenters are "victims", and have not yet sacked them, is highly offensive. I hope that someone sues the backside of the radio station (would the other nurse have any redress about being broadcast without permission I wonder?). At the end of the day, this was a malicious and nasty action that at the very least could have got someone sacked, but they just did not care. I hope everyone involved in this "prank" feels like shit.

ShabbyTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.12.12 18:47

I haven't followed this closely. Did I understand correctly that they even broadcasted it AFTER she was found dead?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShabbyTiger on 08.12.12 18:54

Châtelaine wrote:I haven't followed this closely. Did I understand correctly that they even broadcasted it AFTER she was found dead?

To be fair, it was the middle of the night in Oz when this story broke, and if this was the case then the show was probably just playing on a loop during the night. As disgusting as this radio station is, I don't think even they would stoop so low as to continue broadcasting it after they knew that Mrs Saldanha had died..... at least I hope not....

ShabbyTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 08.12.12 19:01

Châtelaine wrote:I haven't followed this closely. Did I understand correctly that they even broadcasted it AFTER she was found dead?

Yes, that's correct, although it was the early hours of the morning, Australian time, one editor had been told by the UK pess of the news and she had asked if it was a "hoax" call, when she realised it was true she burst into tears apparently.

I emailed an Aussie newspaper yesterday as they were still showing the video of the hoax call and also a link to the text of the telephone call 48 hours after the terrible news. I told them they were despicable printing the story of Jancintha's death yet still having a link to the video and the text, I can't find them on the list now when I googled the radio station involved. No doubt they've broken all links with them.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 08.12.12 20:11

@Cristobell wrote:I'm astounded that none of the security forces, neither the hospital's nor the bodyguards and their superiors, thought to screen calls. Deh!

It is my understanding that the hospital caters for members of the public and not just the royals. It is therefore unreasonable to expect all calls to be screened as such.

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShabbyTiger on 08.12.12 20:44

@ShuBob wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:I'm astounded that none of the security forces, neither the hospital's nor the bodyguards and their superiors, thought to screen calls. Deh!

It is my understanding that the hospital caters for members of the public and not just the royals. It is therefore unreasonable to expect all calls to be screened as such.

That's a fair point, ShuBob. The way that those two pathetic DJs were bragging about it "being the easiest prank ever" were particularly offensive... Mrs Saldanha was not a native speaker of English, so would not have realised that the accents were fake. Can you imagine how nervous the poor woman would have felt, thinking that she was speaking to the Queen? They duped and humiliated two nurses, quite possibly could have lost them their jobs, and now Mrs Saldanha is dead. I hope all concerned feel like shit and get their come-uppance.

ShabbyTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 08.12.12 21:11

@ShabbyTiger wrote:
@ShuBob wrote:

That's a fair point, ShuBob. The way that those two pathetic DJs were bragging about it "being the easiest prank ever" were particularly offensive... Mrs Saldanha was not a native speaker of English, so would not have realised that the accents were fake. Can you imagine how nervous the poor woman would have felt, thinking that she was speaking to the Queen? They duped and humiliated two nurses, quite possibly could have lost them their jobs, and now Mrs Saldanha is dead. I hope all concerned feel like shit and get their come-uppance.

I've no doubt they do feel shit but I suspect their priority in feeling shit is for themselves first - for the moronic DJ's 'what's going to happen to my career?', for the legal bods within the organisation who sanctioned the broadcast 'where's the lawbook that can justify my decision?' for the head of the radio station 'Oh shit, how can I get my advertisers back on board?' They will be justifying the shit they caused and will be busy on a huge damage limitation exercise. I can imagine the meetings.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.12.12 21:51

@aquila wrote:
@ShabbyTiger wrote:
@ShuBob wrote:

I've no doubt they do feel shit but I suspect their priority in feeling shit is for themselves first - for the moronic DJ's 'what's going to happen to my career?', for the legal bods within the organisation who sanctioned the broadcast 'where's the lawbook that can justify my decision?' for the head of the radio station 'Oh shit, how can I get my advertisers back on board?' They will be justifying the shit they caused and will be busy on a huge damage limitation exercise. I can imagine the meetings.

Sorry, but is this by any chance a Rupert Murdoch cum suis owned network?
Just wondering.

The clip with these aussies calling the hospital has been played and replayed over here many times.

The more you hear it, the more you are struck with the hesitant, lilting, lovely voice of the nurse.
Her voice is very sweet.
You'd have loved to be spoken to by her, by her voice during a crisis in the night.

How long had she been on duty when she filled in for an absent colleague?
How many hours?

Is a Bangla Deshi of Indian (I forget which) lady to be expected to differentiate between an aussie and a royal voice? Who on earth would have taught her, would have prepared for a horrible incident like this?

These aussies are animals. Horrible to subject total strangers to this sort of torment. And laughing their heads off in the process. Just replay their tapes.

No one I've spoken to has any sympathy for the down under station & its midgets. Disgust. Pure disgust.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Royston on 08.12.12 22:01

I'm sure we will hear in the future just how the management dealt with the media pressure that their two employees suffered. Did they support them or blame them?

Rob Royston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.12.12 22:27

@Rob Royston wrote:I'm sure we will hear in the future just how the management dealt with the media pressure that their two employees suffered. Did they support them or blame them?

Are you as puzzled & as horrified as I am about the whole affair?

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 08.12.12 23:25

Portia, I suppose a possible theory could be argued. Leveson drops in a report in UK, takes no questions, doesn't mention much about internet control in his report, is considered a bit of a dinosaur in that area and then buggers orf down-under within hours on a pre-planned engagement, gives a lecture on internet control and within days a two-bit radio station with a couple of bad marks against them already have behaved despicably - they are an easy sacrifice to prove the point of/move toward media control. It could also be suggested that having a go at the UK Royal Family will whip up the masses to support legislative constraints on the media. Diana was hounded and now Kate, nothing is learned.

A woman died. A young woman with a family. An ordinary woman who didn't court the media. A woman whose privacy was invaded, whose professional life was invaded, whose family's grief is invaded. I cannot, simply cannot bear the thought of this family attending the funeral of their loved one with the UK/worldwide press taking pictures. If any Press turn up then it will convince me that nothing is human anymore.

What do I know? nothing. I'm an opinonated ant.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 08.12.12 23:32

@aquila wrote:Portia, I suppose a possible theory could be argued. Leveson drops in a report in UK, takes no questions, doesn't mention much about internet control in his report, is considered a bit of a dinosaur in that area and then buggers orf down-under within hours on a pre-planned engagement, gives a lecture on internet control...
...reportedly to an invitation-only audience and with the reported price per ticket to this one-day conference being £960.

I wonder if the organisers will release an attendance list?

No?

I thought not

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 08.12.12 23:43

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@aquila wrote:Portia, I suppose a possible theory could be argued. Leveson drops in a report in UK, takes no questions, doesn't mention much about internet control in his report, is considered a bit of a dinosaur in that area and then buggers orf down-under within hours on a pre-planned engagement, gives a lecture on internet control...
...reportedly to an invitation-only audience and with the reported price per ticket to this one-day conference being £960.

No?

I thought not

I read that too Tony (I just kept my previous post short). What I find odd is that Australia isn't a great influence on world economy, it doesn't even have an enormous population, it produces little and most of its business depends on Asia. Why would Leveson bugger orf tout de suite there to give a lecture?

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 09.12.12 0:05

@aquila wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:

No?

I thought not

I read that too Tony (I just kept my previous post short). What I find odd is that Australia isn't a great influence on world economy, it doesn't even have an enormous population, it produces little and most of its business depends on Asia. Why would Leveson bugger orf tout de suite there to give a lecture?
Yes, good question.

Let's just kick this issue around a little.

When did Leveson accept this invitation?

Was it merely a coincidence that his 1,974-page report was delivered just a fortnight ahead of this conference?

Whose idea was the conference?

When was it decided to go ahead with it?

When was the conference hall booked?

What organisations/people attended it?

How many attended?

Who paid the fees of those attending? - and how many were funded by various governments...i.e. by us, the taxpayers?

Finally, you asked: 'Why Australia?

I would like to explore two possible reasons.

In much of western Europe at the moment, the temperatures are around freezing point.

In Australia, the temperatures are a warm-to-hot 80s and 90s.

Also, Rupert Murdoch lives there.

Do we need to look any further for explanations?

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 09.12.12 12:24

I've spent time in Australia. What shone through to me about Australians is they are very direct (sometimes to the point of being perceived as downright rude/offensive to outsiders), they get to the point and have an envious sense and conviction of fair play which is the backbone of Australia imo. I admire them immensely for this. This incident must have sickened the hearts of Aussies.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Royston on 09.12.12 12:59

@Portia wrote:
@Rob Royston wrote:I'm sure we will hear in the future just how the management dealt with the media pressure that their two employees suffered. Did they support them or blame them?

Are you as puzzled & as horrified as I am about the whole affair?

I'm certainly horrified. The media as ussual have learned nothing. When the news of the death broke yesterday, they were immediately lined up outside the hospital filming live from the scene. These nurses were put under massive stress by the continued internet release of their being "pranked" and the media coverage.

Employers who are in the media spotlight need to think more about the protection and support of their employees, especially when situations like this occur. It's easy to be wise after the event, but there is a big lesson here for all of us.

Rob Royston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 09.12.12 14:34

The prank got publicity for the radio station, which is good for revenue
The story sells papers, which is good for revenue
The pair will probably lose their jobs because they have damaged the flow of revenue.

Fairly clear, I would say.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 09.12.12 17:32

This story is awful, and a bit mysterious still. When the news broke that KM was pregnant and suffering from this disease I had a bad vibe in general. I think a few agencies bear some responsibility here, it cannot just be down to two DJs and a prank.

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10.12.12 21:23

These two television personalities sobbing their hearts out;

She the blonde innocuous;
He the staunch guy, biting back his tears, (but eyes flying in all directions, barely able to bite back a grimass)

Do they remind you of some others we might -or might not- mention?

Is there a protocol for damagecontrol for eejits in tight spots?

One would allmost think so.

One image pressing itself to the foreground: Australia, Crocodile County, Crocs all around

Crododile's tears even more so.

What a sham! Is there no sense of shame left in the world?

How could they do this to that lovely lady, whose poignant face is impossible to set aside?!

Dear Duchess: call the baby: Jacintha!

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum