The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Royal Prank Call Nurse 'Commits Suicide'

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Duchess of Cambridge hoax call nurse found dead

A nurse at London's King Edward VII hospital who took a hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge has been found dead, the BBC understands.

Police were called at 09:35 GMT to reports of a woman found unconscious at an address in central London.

The hospital has paid tribute to "a first class nurse".

Details of the pregnant Duchess's medical condition were unwittingly revealed to two Australian DJs posing as the Queen and Prince Charles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/royal-hoax-call-receptionist-commits-suicide-144751515.html

OMG this is terribly sad news. I read about this prank call the other day, and the clip on BBC of the hoax call. This is so sad!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Royal Prank Call Nurse 'Commits Suicide'

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Horrible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Princess Diana was hounded until she died and now they've started on Kate.

But now someone else has died in the pathetic efforts of the media to get a story at whatever cost about the Royal Family.

A happy story about a Royal baby has now turned into a tragedy. I hope those 2 DJ's are as shocked about their stupid prank as the rest of us. Maybe the media will now take stock of what they do to get a bloody story.

RIP Jacintha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:19 pm

One juvenile prank.

Massive press coverage.

Gross over-reaction to a simple and understandable mistake.

One death.

Many people who will be tormented by this death.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Yes, rest in peace Jacintha. Hopefully now the UK media will engage brains before getting mouths in gear. The following was one example of discussion of the hoax, and I am in no doubt more discussions took place on tv and radio and the nurse will have probably seen the front page tabloid coverage.

Insinuations she was not intelligent [ did she hear the crap impressions? Has she never heard the queen's voice?.. no thought wait a minute, she maybe was foreign and hardly if ever heard the voice of the queen. Would you as a foreign nurse dream of asking could the queen please show id, demonstrate that she was authentic?]
I am interested to see if she was mercilessly teased to the point of bullying by colleagues for being taken in.
Also how she was dealt with by her bosses, who said they needed to tighten up procedures.
Should they not have something in place in case this happens? I hope they did not haul her over the coals for their failures. I read that Jacintha was the nurse who took the call and passed it on, when a second nurse gave confidential info. Just how detailed did this info get I wonder given what Kate was admitted for.... Kate is feeling better/ is no longer vomiting... Kate had a good night... hardly dreadful disclosures, only the info we would get from the news imo.

The pranksters will feel awful and a sacking is on the cards, but there are others who need to be asking themselves some questions tonight.
How sad and what a waste of a valuable life.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:13 pm

But I understand she was the receptionist who simply put the call through to the nurse. It was the nurse who gave all the details. I don't understand how anyone could do that, no matter who it was supposed to be on the phone. Phonelines are not secure at the best of times. The conversation itself could be overheard by a passing nurse or porter.
Poor girl, I hope the palace press office gets its act together and gives a statement conveying regret and sympathy to the relatives of Jacintha.
It would be a good opportunity to point out the evils of publicity and the need for privacy.
Personally I think the nurse was at fault, if the Queen herself phoned, it's not likely she'd request great detail but would only want to know if the patients was doing well. The person who patched her through basically only did her job, I can't see any fault in what she did.

Basically it's a typical example of today's celebrity style interviewers, a generation which thinks they are cool, witty and top of the tree. Boring, botoxed faces and fake 'personalities' for whom anything goes as long as they're in the spotlight.
bad

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 pm

@tigger wrote:But I understand she was the receptionist who simply put the call through to the nurse. It was the nurse who gave all the details. I don't understand how anyone could do that, no matter who it was supposed to be on the phone. Phonelines are not secure at the best of times. The conversation itself could be overheard by a passing nurse or porter.
Poor girl, I hope the palace press office gets its act together and gives a statement conveying regret and sympathy to the relatives of Jacintha.
It would be a good opportunity to point out the evils of publicity and the need for privacy.
Personally I think the nurse was at fault, if the Queen herself phoned, it's not likely she'd request great detail but would only want to know if the patients was doing well. The person who patched her through basically only did her job, I can't see any fault in what she did.

Basically it's a typical example of today's celebrity style interviewers, a generation which thinks they are cool, witty and top of the tree. Boring, botoxed faces and fake 'personalities' for whom anything goes as long as they're in the spotlight.

From what I have read tigger, it was the nurse who took the call as it was the early hours of the morning and there was no receptionist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:38 pm

The two DJ's have been taken off the air - apparently they were still promoting the 'prank of the year' even after Jacintha's death was announced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:59 pm

According to this report, it was not Jacintha who gave out the information and she was not in any trouble at work over it.

http://news.sky.com/story/1022287/kate-prank-call-nurse-commits-suicide

I don't think that any assumptions can be made yet as to the reasons for what has happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Jean wrote:According to this report, it was not Jacintha who gave out the information and she was not in any trouble at work over it.

http://news.sky.com/story/1022287/kate-prank-call-nurse-commits-suicide

I don't think that any assumptions can be made yet as to the reasons for what has happened.

That's right, she only took the call, as no receptionist on in the early hours, and transferred it to the ward, and then another nurse gave out the information according to reports.

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmNotMerylStreep on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 am

This is such tragic and shocking news.

The fact remains that Kate was the target of this prank. She is newly pregnant and was in hospital because she was poorly, yet the Aussie DJs still saw fit to play a prank on her. She had already endured terrible stress when the topless pics of her were printed all over the media so didn't the DJs think this could add to the stress she felt only a few months ago?

The bottom line is that the media's underlying message to Kate is that she cannot feel secure despite all the bodyguards. She is a target. How is that supposed to make her feel? And how is that supposed to make poor William feel?

It's been said on the news that Kate was in tears after hearing the sad news about Jacintha's death. Please leave Kate alone.

And goodness knows how Jacintha's family feel, and so close to Christmas too. It's just awful that her family will have this tragedy as a constant reminder every year at Christmas.

IAmNotMerylStreep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 am

And the two DJs will get someone like Max Clifford to be their publicist !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 am

@PeterMac wrote:And the two DJs will get someone like Max Clifford to be their publicist !

The DJ's are receiving counselling according to today's Daily Mail. Thier boss is sticking up for them (he would have to wouldn't he as his organisation's legal department ok'd the broadcast). I wonder if Clarrie needs a winter holiday - he'll need a good sunscreen.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biker_don on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 am

Has it been established that the nurse committed suicide as opposed to died of natural causes and it was a case of it being a tragic coincidence? Just thinking that they were quick to lay the blame on the radio presenters and it would be a huge guilt trip if it transpires that the nurse had, say, a heart attack which was not related to the prank.

biker_don

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by idroppedmyspoon on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:28 pm

IMO there's something very fish about this. I can't get my head around a mother of two children doing this so suddenly. Even if she was told she'd never have another job as good as this, surely her kids come first?
I'd like to find out what religion she was and how devout she was as most religions would be against this.
I am speculating that she knew or saw something she shouldn't of and was possibly silenced IMO.

idroppedmyspoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:45 pm

I have not read anywhere that the presenters were laughing about their prank call even after news broke of this nurse's death.
Personally I imagine that this issue becane the straw on the camel's back for a woman already under stress.
I do not think the presenters should face the sack or as some people have suggested on comments pages, [ yes true] that they should face manslaughter charges. That is too ridiculous to comment on.

Ths sad fact is that a young woman who is in the early stages of pregnancy was like many others admitted for a short hospital stay to treat dehydration. It was turned into a front page drama by the tabloids and it was written about as a celebrity story with a light veneer of public interest because it is a royal baby due and it is Kate, who is already being treated as a fashion icon like Diana. No interest in the fact this girl is stick- thin and underweight, the important health issue here imo.
The Aussies are not deferential to the royals and they and those associated with them are fair game.
I disagree with a hospital spokesman that this was a cruel hoax, it was silly and has had tragic unforeseen consequences. The presenters no doubt thought that they would be told where to get off as soon as they introduced themselves.
Why had this hospital which regularly treats those with a high public profile not instructed staff what to do, given the intrusion Kate had experienced in France? How did the press get wind that she was there? They surely don't have reporters and photographers camped out there permanently in case a story breaks. So how did they know and why was such a fuss caused?
A young woman is pregnant with morning sickness. Kate was not admitted after a cocaine overdose, after a suicide attempt.
No story really apart from the succession issue if this child is a girl.
The gutter press should have not created such a drama out of a mundane event
Maybe that is why the presenters tried to take the mickey. It was daft and thoughtless, not cruel.
If they had got through to a film star like Daniel Craig and pretended to be the Queen because of the Olympics stunt, people would be laughing.
I disagree that Kate was a target, they were imo taking the mickey out of British deference to the Royals.
They can't reasonably be blamed for the tragedy of this nurse's death imo.

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShabbyTiger on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 pm

@russiandoll wrote:I disagree with a hospital spokesman that this was a cruel hoax, .

Those involved in this pathetic stunt would have been well aware that the nurses involved may potentially have got into serious trouble at work. That 's not really a "bit of fun", is it?

ShabbyTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Please do not put words into my mouth. I said it was not cruel imo, that is not the same as thinking it was a bit of fun.
No way do I think what the pair did was a "bit of fun." I think it was stupid, immature and thoughtless, exactly what I expect from a pair of 20-something radio presenters after publicity and ratings.
It is their employers who passed this as ok to go ahead, they should carry any can imo.
Cruel is not a word I would apply to what the pair did, there was no malice meant as far as I can ascertain and they I am sure thought they would not get past go.
UK media played up this hoax all over the front pages as yet another way to run the pregnancy story and played a part in this nurse's humiliation. I would imagine it being broadcast on youtube also did not help matters
I think the Aussies were mean in that they knew that no one at the other end other than a senior executive would question the authenticity of the caller's i.d. I doubt they thought anyone would get into trouble because in cases like this prank radio calls are usually terminated within seconds.
Let me make it clear as I did in my first post that this death is a tragedy.
There has still been no link made officially with the hoax, although I doubt that it is just coincidence.
But I strongly believe that if this turns out to be suicide linked to the fact this woman felt that she had let down the royals just because she put a hoax call through to a ward, the pranksters should not feel responsible for causing a death.
It is easy to blame the idiot presenters, imo we need to be addressing why this minor story of a pregnant woman with morning sickness was treated in such a way by media that the poor nurse felt as awful as she seemingly did for simply putting a phone call throught to a hospital ward.
That happens...sometimes info is given out mistakenly, by busy hospital employees in the UK to people not closely related to the patient. It is not treated as almost a crime....why did this nurse feel so bad that she took her own life, if it turns out that is the case......because a colleague told a stranger how Kate was doing? My earlier post discussed how this woman was humiliated on British tv and radio for not recognising that the "crap accents" could not have been genuine. Imo there are others who should be bothered about their behaviour apart from this pair of fools, who can be conveniently scapegoated .
I think what has happened is a tragedy, my heart goes out to Jacintha's family.

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 pm

@ShabbyTiger wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:I disagree with a hospital spokesman that this was a cruel hoax, .

Those involved in this pathetic stunt would have been well aware that the nurses involved may potentially have got into serious trouble at work. That 's not really a "bit of fun", is it?

Not to ignore the fact either that Jacintha was born in India and the Indian culture is very different to European culture - you only have to look at the number of honor killings that happen to see the difference between the two cultures.

Jacintha must have been horrified to find herself plastered all over the Worldwide web, twitter and in newspaper headines, the interview was heard all over the World, can you imagine the horror that would bring to any quiet, shy everyday person who was just going about their every day job trying to bring in money to help her husband and children to have a better life. If she had family back in India they too must have been horrified at all this shameful publicity brought on to them.

You also have to take into account whether Katherine may have had a miscarriage by the time this prank call was taken in the hospital, how would that have gone down with the world wide twitterers if the information had been broadcasted by these two "innocent" - as some people are calling them - too highly paid ignorant idiots, before Katherine's family or the Queen had been advised.

There is no excuse for what this radio station did, it was shameful and abhorrent, amongst other "very funny pranks" was the fact that they made a 14 year old girl confess to her mother on the air that she was raped at the age of 12. Does anyone find that funny, I certainly don't.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:34 pm

@russiandoll wrote:There has still been no link made officially with the hoax...
One thing that is for certain in this story, and which I anticipate we could all agree with on this forum, is that this was a hoax, and that it was the hoax that was the first and ultimate cause of the subsequent damage that has occurred (even though the subsequent news coverage may have been the proximate cause of the nurse apparently ending her life on this earth).

Hoaxes have many consequences, both intended, and unintended.

Pretending that something is true when it is not - which can include deliberate lying - may have minor, or very serious, consequences.

Sometimes a claim that a missing child has been abducted may be a hoax. There have certainly been many such recorded instances

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hoaxes

I'm just wondering who else might be included on this list in years to come........

Back to top Go down

Post by ShabbyTiger on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:55 pm

@russiandoll wrote:Please do not put words into my mouth. I said it was not cruel imo, that is not the same as thinking it was a bit of fun.
No way do I think what the pair did was a "bit of fun." I think it was stupid, immature and thoughtless, exactly what I expect from a pair of 20-something radio presenters after publicity and ratings.
It is their employers who passed this as ok to go ahead, they should carry any can imo.
Cruel is not a word I would apply to what the pair did, there was no malice meant as far as I can ascertain and they I am sure thought they would not get past go.

I did not put words in your mouth. Not cruel and no malice meant, eh? So you think that making a call, knowing full well that the nurses concerned could potentially get into very serious trouble, isn't cruel or malicious? What do you class as cruel and malicious then, if you don't think these actions were? In fact I'd go as far as to say that anyone who would pull a stunt like this, knowing very well that people could get into very serious trouble, were in fact nasty, malicious pieces of work.

ShabbyTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Jean wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hoaxes

I'm just wondering who else might be included on this list in years to come........

Certainly not the ones you're thinking about, they're too "well connected".

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Apparently two large supermarket chains have already withdrawn their advertising from the channel.
If those two lose their jobs it will more likely be for financial reasons than for reasons of lack of taste or poor professionalism.
Money talks.

(Incidentally does anyone know what a DJ actually does, except put records on a turntable from time to time after reading out the words on the label.
And from that does anyone know why "Quiz Masters" are held in such high regard. Or indeed "News readers" or nowadays "presenters".)

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:46 pm

@PeterMac wrote:Apparently two large supermarket chains have already withdrawn their advertising from the channel.
If those two lose their jobs it will more likely be for financial reasons than for reasons of lack of taste or poor professionalism.
Money talks.

(Incidentally does anyone know what a DJ actually does, except put records on a turntable from time to time after reading out the words on the label.
And from that does anyone know why "Quiz Masters" are held in such high regard. Or indeed "News readers" or nowadays "presenters".)

The channel seems to be in meltdown regarding advertising, they say "we've pulled all advertising until Monday", yeah right, that's their spin on what their advertisers are probably saying to them.

If the radio station goes under they only have themselves to blame, it doesn't seem to be a very popular broadcaster as to all the comments I've read over the past 48 hours on the different Aussie newspapers.

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum