The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

20-year old nursery worker arrested on suspicion of sexual abuse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

20-year old nursery worker arrested on suspicion of sexual abuse

Post by Judge Mental on 06.01.11 13:24

Yet another nursery worker arrested on suspicion of sexual abuse.

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Time to scrap OFSTED?

Post by Tony Bennett on 06.01.11 15:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12127899

OFSTED pronounced this nursey 'good' only a few weeks ago (November).

Time to scrap OFSTED?

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 20-year old nursery worker arrested on suspicion of sexual abuse

Post by Mickey on 06.01.11 16:12

This is appalling. I don't know if scrapping OFSTED will result in less of this kind of thing though.

Mickey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 06.01.11 18:19

As far as I know Ofsted tell the schools in advance when they are doing inspections, presumably they do the same with nurseries. Perhaps they should consider doing random visits and turn up at some of these places unnannounced.

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Better inspections

Post by Tony Bennett on 06.01.11 19:25

@Cherry wrote:As far as I know Ofsted tell the schools in advance when they are doing inspections, presumably they do the same with nurseries. Perhaps they should consider doing random visits and turn up at some of these places unnannounced.
The same is true of inspections e.g. of old people's homes, other residential establishments, foster homes etc.

That's why so much goes undetected, the poorly-run places are often capable of putting on a good show for a few days while the inspectors are there.

These inspections are often vrey poor at taking soundings from the actual clients, and their relatives. They could tell them a lot, if they bothered to ask them...

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 06.01.11 19:42

That's very true, I really dont see the point in letting people know you are going to be coming which defeats the object of checking up how things are going. giving establishments notice just gives time as you say to put on a show, change things, clean up etc., and that may not be a true reflection of everyday life and care in whatever establishment it is. They really need to review their inspection procedures imo.

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 06.01.11 22:57

I run a licensed premises that requires regular inspection of the premises, facilities and staff training and I am never warned when the inspectors are coming. If they ever found anything amiss my licence would be revoked. It is ridiculous that businesses that are involved in the care of children and the vulnerable are given warning of inspections.
It defeats the whole object.

I would hate for my grandson to attend a nursery. Are children left with just one member of staff on a regular basis? When my children attended there was always two members of staff per class. Crikey when I worked with money it had to be kept under dual control at all times - you were never left alone with it and that was only money!!

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.01.11 23:50

Now been charged

Nursery Assistant Is Charged With Rape

10:58pm UK, Thursday January 06, 2011

Andy Jack, Sky News Online

A 20-year-old nursery assistant is to appear in court charged with the rape of a child at his workplace.

An advice line for worried parents and guardians has been set up: 0121 675 4806

Paul Wilson was arrested at his home in Nechells, Birmingham, early on Wednesday by detectives from West Midlands Police's public protection department.

Jayne Salt, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "We have decided there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to charge Paul Wilson with two counts of rape in relation to an investigation into the Little Stars Nursery in Nechells, Birmingham.

"He faces two charges of oral rape of a child under 13 years, namely two or three years, between January 1, 2009, and July 30, 2010.

"Paul Wilson will be appearing before Birmingham Magistrates' Court tomorrow (Friday), where an application to remand him in custody will be made by the prosecution."

The Little Stars nursery was closed during the day

Police said the man had been employed as an assistant at the nursery for 18 months.

Superintendent Matt Ward, of West Midlands Police, said there was currently no evidence of other children at the nursery being abused.

He said he had spoken to parents of children at the nursery, who were "very angry and very shocked", adding that police were in the process of contacting the families of children who had previously attended.

The police investigation at the nursery was launched after a computer was seized from Wilson's home.

The nursery has been closed temporarily and a phone line offering advice and support to parents and guardians has been set up. The number is 0121 675 4806.

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 07.01.11 0:12

OMG - Rape!! I cannot believe it - where is the crying smiley Sad How do these people get into nurseries? - who was supervising him as I presume he was participating in some sort of NVQ training.

Did anyone see this today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344621/Care-workers-tormented-elderly-women-Green-Goblin-glove-puppet-banned-profession-life.html

God help Us!

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 07.01.11 0:16

They should have been given jail sentences, yet another example of how the state views abuse of the vulnerable.

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mischief on 04.02.11 19:12

I spend several days a week visiting schools and nurseries. I'll see up to a dozen nurseries in a week, around half of those I just drop by in passing without announcing I'm coming and of those six I drop in to see I'll end up in the manager's office and be given a quick tour of the nursery itself too.

I'm pleased to say that, having been inside several hundred nurseries "on spec" in the last year, not once have I seen anything amiss or unsettling. Only one stood out for the wrong reasons - it was on the shabby, smelly side. Aside from that one I've been really impressed with the lot! With no kids myself what strikes me most day to day is overall how utterly passionate the people working in these nurseries are about the kids in their care and their well being.

From what I've seen the staff are brilliant overall. On saying that I've come across a few pretty dopey, sometimes disinterested junior nursery nurses who haven't impressed me and who I wouldn't be likely to employ myself. I've never yet seen a male nursery worker either in any of them, or yet.

I'd like to hope this nursery in qiestion is a rarety rather than the norm. If I were a parent I'd hate to have to leave my child in a nursery, regardless of how well run and impressive it might be or seem. I didn't know that nursery had now closed down but it was obvious the place was doomed as soon as the news hit the press. No parent would leave their kid there after that.

mischief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Mental on 04.02.11 19:31

One is a great believer in constant cctv in nurseries and schools. Especially after seeing how some children are left to their own devices and not included in activities, abused, or missing out on meals etc. It would also ensure that some teachers are not exploited by malicious children who wish to accuse them of paedophilia and bullying. Too many teachers have had the finger pointed at them and already lost their careers and families before they are even tried in court or their cases dropped. .

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mischief on 04.02.11 23:25

@Judge Mental wrote:

One is a great believer in constant cctv in nurseries and schools. Especially after seeing how some children are left to their own devices and not included in activities, abused, or missing out on meals etc. It would also ensure that some teachers are not exploited by malicious children who wish to accuse them of paedophilia and bullying. Too many teachers have had the finger pointed at them and already lost their careers and families before they are even tried in court or their cases dropped. .

Me too...but I haven't noticed CCTV in even one nursery that I've visited. Some have CCTV at their main entrance so they can see who's knocking on their door but I've never seen any cameras inside. To visit schools and nurseries I obviously had to be enhanced CRB checked but not once have any establishments askd me about that and I think maybe twice only in the last eight months have I even been asked for ID, and it was Children's Centres who asked not nurseries.

mischief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 04.02.11 23:34

It sounds like there needs to be tightening up of procedures to protect children and I think cameras in the nurseries would certainly be a good idea, although I guess you cant cover every single area and if someone is intent on abusing a child they could take a child to where a camera isnt covering.

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Mental on 05.02.11 1:13

@mischief wrote:
@Judge Mental wrote:

Me too...but I haven't noticed CCTV in even one nursery that I've visited. Some have CCTV at their main entrance so they can see who's knocking on their door but I've never seen any cameras inside. To visit schools and nurseries I obviously had to be enhanced CRB checked but not once have any establishments askd me about that and I think maybe twice only in the last eight months have I even been asked for ID, and it was Children's Centres who asked not nurseries.

CCTV would certainly make paedophiles think twice about certain types of jobs such as paediatric nursing, teaching, nursery work etc., where they have instant access to view and mingle amongst children all day long. However, as Cherry has pointed out, a paedophile would take a child out of sight of cameras. Therefore cameras would have to be strategically placed, so that a paedophile would have to consider the risk of their being asked as to why a child was removed from a camera zone. Of course, this would not be at all expensive to commit to, providing that staff were dedicated to scanning the tapes at random but regular intervals, and without prior warnings.

One has long considered that schools should have security guards at night and weekends to counter the millions and millions of pounds worth of damage and theft in our schools and nurseries. Security is very cost effective, and would be more so if we placed cameras in them. It takes seconds and minutes to scour hours of tape, and if it saves only one child from being bullied or living with the traumas suffered at the hands of paedophiles, how can any nursery or school afford not to pay those extra pounds per week, to ensure that the tapes are randomly but regularly monitored? Privately run nurseries and schools rarely show losses, and usually only when they employ a very expensive accountant winkwink

The money is certainly there for this, albeit some owners of private nurseries may not be able to purchase as many second or third homes and cars from their profits. If the State continues to cry poverty, then turn the nurseries and schools over to the voluntary and private sectors. Many parents and guardians would be more than happy to donate a few hours per month to view video tapes for free in a group. One knows this for certain, for one knows people who have done it. It takes very little organisation, and it provides for safer environments.

All this talk of Cameron's big society is cheap, if he does not start with ensuring that parents look after and take care of their own children firstly and foremostly, and instil a sense of pride and respect in them. Being part of the wider community is important as communities become more transient, and not everybody will find it their cup of tea to sweep leaves up or monitor videos of their local nursery schools and parks, but we have to start somewhere in weeding out those who will take and take and allow everybody else to do things for their children in schools and nurseries, and those who want a genuinely better and safer environment for children to grow up and become decent citizens. Not every parent expects a nursery or school to do the job of caring for their child and bringing it up for them for 14 years, whilst they get on with their own careers and other pursuits.

It goes without saying that the Tapas 9 need not apply for the voluntary jobs of providing a safer environment for children, but some of them could certainly watch and learn how they should have been doing it. It would not be impossible for them to clear leaves and litter, without letting it rot and stink in the backs of their vehicles, and to watch how other parents take pride in the safety of their children.

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

nursery abuse of minors

Post by joyce1938 on 05.02.11 10:38

I have to wonder if this early abuse is a new thing or has it been going on for more years than we could possibly think?joyce 1938,do hope this will get through have had no luck so far.

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 05.02.11 17:32

Sadly I think it has been going on for a long time but I think raising awareness of child abuse and also helplines/charities being around whom children can turn to if not able to talk to parents directly, can only be a good thing. It is known that paedophiles will actively seek out jobs where they have ready access to children - there has been a recent local case where a music teacher was abusing kids in his home when giving them private lessons (with his wife in the house at the time, not knowing what was going on), and this had gone on for years and years with this guy seemingly a highly respected member of society!!

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 05.02.11 18:47

A NURSERY worker has been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a child.

The incident is alleged to have occurred at the Starlight Childcare Centre in Winfrith, Dorset.
Police have not revealed if the suspect, who has been released on bail pending further investigation, is male or female.
A Dorset Police spokesman said: "It should be emphasised that this investigation is in the preliminary stages and, at this time, no person has been convicted of any offence.
"This investigation will be conducted by the child abuse investigation team.
"The primary concern of Dorset Police and its partner agencies — including social services — is the continued safety of all children who attend this nursery."
An Ofsted spokesman said: "Ofsted is aware of the police investigation and is working closely with police and the Wareham Childcare team. The nursery registration has been temporarily suspended."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3393815/Nursery-worker-on-sex-assault-rap.html

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Mental on 05.02.11 19:51

@joyce1938 wrote:I have to wonder if this early abuse is a new thing or has it been going on for more years than we could possibly think?joyce 1938,do hope this will get through have had no luck so far.

You are through, joyce1938 roses We will keep an eye on this.

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 07.02.11 0:08

Another example of how a paedophile preys on kids and gets a job where he can have access to kids.

AN official tour guide at Windsor Castle has been exposed as a paedophile.

Ross Thomas, 76, groomed an 11-year-old boy and carried out a string of sex attacks on him 25 years ago, a court heard yesterday.

Trusted steward Thomas has shown thousands of parents and kids around the Queen's official Berkshire home. His sick secret was finally revealed when he and a pal admitted putting the lad "through hell" over a six-month period.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3392537/Queens-guide-is-exposed-as-a-paedophile.html

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Mental on 07.02.11 2:57

''Both were sentenced to 12 months in jail suspended for two years and put on the sex offenders register for ten years at Portsmouth Crown Court.''

Lest anybody ever be unsure how the British judiciary view paedophilia, all you have to do is look at the sentences passed.

Portsmouth seems a very paedophile-friendly place.

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum