The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Casa Pia - Six Jailed In Child Abuse Case In Portugal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Casa Pia - Six Jailed In Child Abuse Case In Portugal

Post by Guest on 04.09.10 9:08

Share Share
11:59pm UK, Friday September 03, 2010

Philip Thomas, Sky News Online

Six men have been jailed for sexually abusing dozens of children at a state-run care home after a trial lasting almost six years which has gripped and horrified Portugal.

Former TV presenter Carlos Cruz arrives at court for sentencing

Those condemned include a television presenter, a lawyer, a former ambassador and a doctor.

The abuse happened at the Casa Pia children's home in Lisbon.

Carlos Silvino, a driver and gardener at the home who helped procure boys to be abused at orgies, was sentenced to 18 years.

The 53-year-old, the only defendant to have pleaded guilty, had admitted more than 600 counts of abuse and gave evidence against the others.

Carlos Cruz, a veteran TV presenter, was sentenced to seven years, while Jorge Ritto, a former Unesco ambassador, was given six years and eight months.

Now, when a child accuses an adult, nobody will look with the same lack of attention that they did for many years.

Casa Pia's current boss, Catalina Pestana
Six victims - now aged between 16 and 22 - punched the air and cheered when the verdicts were returned.

One of them, Bernardo Teixeira, said: "The court recognised that we were telling the truth. It's a happy ending for us. The paedophiles are going to jail."

The scandal emerged in 2002 when a victim accused Silvino of raping him. A year-long police investigation led to what is believed to be the longest-running court case in Portuguese history.

Some observers have said the process has highlighted the slowness and inefficiency of Portuguese courts. The judges heard 920 witnesses in 460 court sessions.

Casa Pia was founded in 1780 to help care for the hundreds of children orphaned by a massive earthquake five years earlier.

Casa Pia now cares for about 4,500 children

It now cares for around 4,500 orphans and children whose parents cannot care for them.

Catalina Pestana, who was put in charge of Casa Pia after the crimes were first reported, said: "The stories that I heard were the most terrible of my life.

"I think Portugal, the country, all of us, won a lot from this process. Now, when a child accuses an adult, nobody will look with the same lack of attention that they did for many years."

In March 2006, a court ordered the Portuguese government to pay two million euros (£1.6m) in compensation to 44 former Casa Pia residents, saying it had failed in its duty to protect the children
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Portugal-Child-Abuse-Six-Men-Jailed-For-Abusing-32-Children-In-Casa-Pia-Case/Article/201009115712910?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15712910_Portugal_Child_Abuse%3A_Six_Men_Jailed_For_Abusing_32_Children_In_Casa_Pia_Case

Back to top Go down

Re: Casa Pia - Six Jailed In Child Abuse Case In Portugal

Post by laurie on 06.09.10 22:20

I am really glad that those involved in the Casa Pia are now going to serve a Prison sentence., even though i believe there were many many more involved. It has taken a very long time for this to come to an end but i feel for all those kids who were abused..some justice at last has been served. Bless them who suffered but will Paedophilia ever end in all Countries not just Portugal? No in my opinion and it never will Evil or Very Mad

laurie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on 06.09.10 23:06

Perhaps they could also have the decency to name ALL those involved, not just in Portugal but the ones involved from UK and any other country.

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayniia on 23.06.13 22:49

candyfloss wrote:Share  Share
11:59pm UK, Friday September 03, 2010
Philip Thomas, Sky News Online
Bernardo Teixeira, said: "The court recognised that we were telling the truth. It's a happy ending for us. The paedophiles are going to jail."
In March 2006, a court ordered the Portuguese government to pay two million euros (£1.6m) in compensation to 44 former Casa Pia residents, saying it had failed in its duty to protect the children

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Portugal-Child-Abuse-Six-Men-Jailed-For-Abusing-32-Children-In-Casa-Pia-Case/Article/201009115712910?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15712910_Portugal_Child_Abuse%3A_Six_Men_Jailed_For_Abusing_32_Children_In_Casa_Pia_Case
I begin by saying I am NOT defending pedophiles or criminals or whatever. But this case has much more to it than what has been said in the press. I read all the files of the process. And it's a HUGE process. This process in my personal belief was a circus where the big fish escaped. Where they just wanted to find someone famous to shift the attention from the real people involved. Two of the main witnesses of this case have since the end of the trial given interviews explaining how  they were payed and pampered by the police to say what they wanted them to say, to point the fingers to the people they wanted to. Anyway I'm not going to discuss all of what I think about this case or I'd talk for ages but If anyone's curious here's the website from Carlos Cruz , one of the persons condemned in this case. As evidence goes, he was able to prove by receipts and other things that he couldn't have been where the crimes took place, but the prosecution decided to believe the boys (now men) and condemn him just by the testimonies who were far from consistent. ALL IMHO of course. Here's the website opening in english with google translator http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.processocarloscruz.com%2F&act=url

"My advice to any British tourist ,please come to Portugal,please come to the Algarve but if you're coming as a family holiday treat it as a family holiday and do things together, don't leave the kids"
Words from an ExPat Algarve resident

Ayniia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum