The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Forty years after mysterious teen death officers appeal for information

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Doug D on 20.01.16 15:28

Robert Chewter made a FOI request on 29th November 2014 in respect of the death of Peter Watts in 1976. He was given the runaround until May 2015 and the request is now flagged with ‘waiting for an internal review by Home Office of their handling of this request’.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/january_1976_peter_watts_a_15_ye

Don’t know what has happened since then, but suddenly the other day the Met put up a request for information.

Jan 19, 2016 08:56 GMT

Forty years after the mysterious death of a Welsh teenager in Euston, London, detectives are appealing for anyone with information about the incident to come forward.

Peter Watts was just 15 years old when he left a note to his parents at his home in Colwyn Bay, North Wales. He said he was planning to help a school friend with homework and would return soon. His family never saw him alive again.

Just hours later Peter was discovered collapsed in London in the middle of the Euston Road underpass, around half a mile from Euston station. A passing cab driver called an ambulance but Peter died in hospital an hour later.

Following extensive police appeals in both England and Wales, officers were able to piece together some of Peter's last known movements.

The teenager was last seen at his home address at 16:00hrs on Sunday, 18 January 1976. After a family lunch he told his parents he wanted to finish his homework rather than go for an afternoon drive with them and his older brother.

A short while later Peter wrote his parents a brief note and then left his home to purchase a train ticket from Colwyn Bay station to Chester. He is thought to have travelled on the 17:15hrs, Holyhead to London train, but failed to leave the train at Chester. It is then thought he continued on to Euston, possibly arriving at 21:15hrs.

Apart from the guard who sold Peter his train ticket at Colwyn Bay, there were no further confirmed sightings of the 15-year-old.

Peter was found below a bridge at Euston Road underpass at around 01:30hrs on Monday, 19 January by a passing taxi driver. A post mortem examination gave the cause of death as head injuries consistent with a fall. There were no marks on Peter's body to indicate he was pushed from the bridge or had been involved in an earlier struggle. There was also no evidence of any sexual assault.

Officers established that Peter was missing his watch and glasses when he was found. These items have never been found.

Peter was described as white, 5ft 11in tall with long brown hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a long brown leather jacket, trousers and a roll-neck sweater.

Four decades on, the Met's Special Casework Investigation Team, are releasing details of Peter's death in an effort to trace anyone who is yet to speak to police about the incident.

Detective Inspector Susan Stansfield, of the Met's Special Casework Investigation Team, who is leading the investigation, said: "Despite numerous appeals, mystery still surrounds the death of Peter Watts. He came from a loving and close-knit family but tragically his parents both died without the answers they were seeking.

"After 40 years, his only surviving relative - his older brother Mark, aged 57 - said this may be his last opportunity to find out what happened to his older sibling.

"At the time Peter went missing, 40 years ago, there were no mobile phones and wide-spread CCTV was not available.

"The investigation continues to be dealt with as an unexplained death and is not being linked to any other investigations. We've never had any information to suggest that anyone else was involved in Peter's death but, for the sake of his brother, we would like to speak to anyone who may be able to assist."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Incident Room on 020 7230 7963; alternatively, to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/metpoliceuk/news/forty-years-after-mysterious-teen-death-officers-appeal-for-information-143848

……………………………………

Snipped from the original request:

‘More curious was the fact that forensic examination revealed that the boy and his clothes were "impeccably clean" as though he had just been bathed. Even his wound had no sign of the grit expected if he had fallen on his head from the overpass above. ‘

Another case of ‘missing files’ perhaps or just an incomplete investigation, where the Home Office have asked the Met for a full report?

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forty years after missing teens death "Officer" appeal for information

Post by willowthewisp on 21.01.16 13:13

Another request to be made to the IPCC to examine this case?
Thank goodness for the non-stop inquiries by Mr Robert Chewter, sticking to the facts of this "Mysterious disappearance" and note the "subterfuge" on non-disclosure of requested information trying obfuscate evidence of Coroners Reports and inquests of any sexual activity taken place? 
Keep up the excellent investigations DougD and one day we can only hope the "Exposure of the culprits" being brought to Justice?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Forty years after mysterious teen death officers appeal for information

Post by Doug D on 24.01.16 10:21

And the very same day as the Met appeal, although next day from ITV news, we get this from the BBC.

Did London police car kill Colwyn Bay teenager Peter Watts?

19:48, 19 JAN 2016 UPDATED 19:49, 19 JAN 2016 BY BEN BUTLER
A retired cab driver says he saw a man hit by a police car in Euston in 1976, following an appeal for information about the 15-year-old's death

A cabbie from London believes he could have solved the mystery of a Colwyn Bay teenager's death 40 years ago.

Retired cab driver John Varney today told ITV News London that, in January 1976, he was travelling through the Euston bypass when he spotted a man coming over the railings at the same time as a police car with blue flashing lights drove past him at speed.

The police car then “hit him up into the air”, said Mr Varney.

The revelation comes as London detectives continue their investigations into the mysterious death of 15-year-old Peter Watts , of Woodhill Road, Colwyn Bay, who was found seriously injured in a “vehicles only” underpass near Euston station in 1976. He died soon after.

He had left a note to his parents at his home in Colwyn Bay only hours earlier, saying he was planning to help a school friend with homework and would return soon.

Following a report on Peter's death on ITV News London last night, Mr Varney realised he could be a vital witness.

Timeline of Peter Watts murder investigation

He said: “The police car hit him and he went up in the air. He was half way across the road but then came back into the lane that I was in.

“I put my brakes on about six feet away from where he was laying on the road.
“Having seen the guy in my headlights, he moved for a while and then his eyes were looking at me – gradually his eyes just closed.

“The police car reversed back and to the rear of me. I was about to get out the cab and one of the police officers got out the car and said to me ‘Go!’"

Peter’s brother Mark Watts had told ITV News London that he feared the mystery around his brother’s death would never be solved.

Mr Varney said: “The vision of this guy has lived with me for 40 years, but I thought the police would take care of it.
“If they did, if it proves they checked it out, then fine. I’ll admit I’m wrong.”

This week's appeal for information was the first time Mr Varney had seen any publicity around the case.

He says he didn’t go to the police at the time because he felt he didn't need to.
Mr Varney said: “There were two policemen there. They would take charge of it. It’s unbelievable really.

“If I’d known about it, I’d have come forward straight away. This would have given me closure 40 years ago.”

A spokesperson for the Met Police said: “As a result of the press appeal, detectives have today been contacted by a third party acting on behalf of an individual who has claimed to have new information regarding the death of Peter Watts .

“Officers have since spoken with the man by telephone and will be meeting with him at the earliest opportunity.

“Detectives would encourage anyone with any information to contact the Incident Room on 020 7230 7963; alternatively, to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

“Any new information will be vigorously investigated.”

…………………………………………….

Yet 40 years ago, a London cabbie driving, probably, daily along the Euston Road failed to notice this or any of the newspaper stories/appeals at the time.

From the ITV report:

Peter was discovered by a taxi driver ten hours after he was last seen by his family, lying barely alive in the Euston Underpass - 250 miles from home.

He had suffered an extensive fracture of the skull and other internal injuries which were consistent with a fall but there were no fragments of dirt from the road in the head wound and nothing to show he'd been in a fight or involved in an road accident.

Personal belongings, including his watch and glasses were missing.
The inquest jury returned a unanimous verdict of murder by a person or persons unknown. In his closing remarks the coroner said the case was odd, and notes written by the lead detective at the time show he was baffled.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-01-18/the-40-year-mystery-of-the-murder-of-15-year-old-peter-watts/

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forty years after mysterious Death of Peter Watts?

Post by willowthewisp on 24.01.16 16:40

So the taxi driver did not discover the body of Peter Watts after ten hours, "He actually saw a (green coloured, with flashing blue lights)  Car hit him (Peter) and the police told him to go away from the scene of the accident or murder?
Did the Police Officers provide a police report to corroberate what their involvement was in the discovery of Peter Watts and any damage sustained to the vehicle they were driving on the night of the accident?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum