The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Jeremy Bamber, a mass murderer or a victim of a miscarriage of justice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jeremy Bamber, a mass murderer or a victim of a miscarriage of justice?

Post by sallypelt on 17.07.15 10:28

Jeremy Bamber is back in the news. I have never once thought the man was innocent, but now I have my doubts. Most people will know the background to this tragic affair. Last night my law student daughter called me and asked what I thought about Jeremy Bamber. I didn't hesitated in answering, guilty as charged, as I have read so much about this case over the years, during the first decade of the crime. My daughter said to me, "are you sure he's guilty?. I believe that within the next few years we will learn that he's innoncent". Again, without hesitation I didn't change my view, but told her I would have another look into the case. Now, I must say, that the evidence against Bamber was flimsy, to say the least.

Very often in these high-profile cases, we are told to "follow the money". Who would gain from Jeremy Bamber being found guilty of murdering his parents, sister and nephews? I will post this article in its entirety for people who read here, to make up their own minds, and maybe they would like to add to this thread, if they think JB is guilty or a victim of a miscarriage of justice:

Jeremy Bamber: What part did his relatives play?

1. In 1985, Nevill Bamber, his wife June Bamber and their son, Jeremy Bamber co-owned the farming company, N and J Bamber Ltd. The share ownership was distributed whereby Nevill Bamber owned 79%, June Bamber owned 1% and finally Jeremy Bamber owned 20% of the company.

1. While N and J Bamber Ltd, owned all the assets of the company, i.e. machinery, buildings, crops, livestock and vehicles, 600 acres of the farm was leasehold, and a further 100 acres was freehold. 50 acres (otherwise known as Charity Farm) was owned by Nevill and June Bamber, while the other 50 acres (otherwise known as Renters Farm) was shared equally between Nevill Bamber, June Bamber and Jeremy Bamber, while White House Farm itself was and still is leasehold.

1. Upon the tragic deaths of Nevill and June Bamber, Basil Cook was appointed Executor of their respective estates and thus was responsible for safeguarding their assets. In order to assist Jeremy Bamber in the daily management of the farm, Basil Cock appointed Peter Eaton to manage N and J Bamber Ltd, until Jeremy Bamber was able to take that role upon himself. Peter Eaton was appointed Farm Manager on the 9th August 1985.

1. Upon the successful conviction of Jeremy Bamber for the murders at White House Farm, Peter Eaton and his wife Ann became the tenants of the leasehold properties previously rented by Nevill Bamber. This included White House Farm, which they had already moved into. However, Basil Cock as the Executor of the estate, after the conviction of Jeremy Bamber, concluded that all the assets of the Bamber estate should be inherited by Pamela Boutflour. This decision was later challenged in the Chancery Division by Anthony Pargeter and Jacqueline Wood, Nevill Bamber’s nephew and niece - Case Number CH 1991 PN 8680.

1. In these proceedings Anthony Pargeter and Jacqueline Wood sued Basil Cock, Robert and Pamela Boutflour, David Boutflour and Peter and Ann Eaton alleging theft and false accounting in managing N and J Bamber Ltd. In any event, Anthony Pargeter and Jacqueline Wood settled after it was agreed they would inherit Nevill Bamber’s estate, while Robert and Pamela Boutflour, and Peter and Ann Eaton and David Boutflour would in turn inherit June Bamber’s estate.

1. Notwithstanding Jeremy Bamber’s conviction, he was still in ownership of 20% of N and J Bamber Ltd when eventually it was wound up and the assets sold.

1. N and J Bamber Ltd was dissolved on the 14th September 1999, with no assets, only costs. These costs covered winding up the company, depreciation, repairs, outstanding management fees and other miscellaneous costs totalling £80,000. Indeed Jeremy Bamber received a bill from Basil Cock stating that upon liquidation, Jeremy Bamber owed almost £16,000, which was his share of the costs of winding up N and J Bamber Ltd.

1. However, in 1985, N and J Bamber Ltd was a prosperous company worth approximately £388,000. £308,000 was the 79% share Nevill Bamber owned in N and J Bamber while a further £80,000 was from other personal assets, and indeed in 1985, Jeremy Bamber’s share was worth approximately £72,000.

1. Barbara Wilson the farm secretary raised concerns she had about the mismanagement of the farm back in 1987 to Essex Police, however it was not proceeded with pending the appeal of Jeremy Bamber. In view of her allegations going to the heart of the credibility of the chief prosecution witnesses as to their propensity for dishonesty, it is clear that Essex Police had an agenda in maintaining Jeremy Bamber’s conviction by eventually never investigating her complaints in any event.

1. Her allegations were cumulative in nature, involved numerous third parties and illustrated a clear propensity for dishonesty. In view of the fact that after being managed for fourteen years by Peter Eaton on behalf of Basil Cock the company had gone from being worth £380,000 to owing £80,000 while profits for that time span are not accounted for, yet totalling almost £500,000 lost, the question remains as to why Essex Police breached their duty of care to Jeremy Bamber by not investigating the allegations listed in the first instance. The allegations are based upon reasonable suspicion, and Essex Police should have acted in the public interest in investigating them, especially as the officer who interviewed Barbara Wilson described her as an honest person with no clear agenda against the family.

1. It is fact that during Jeremy Bamber’s trial the jury asked ‘If Jeremy Bamber was found guilty and imprisoned for many years, who would be the beneficiaries of the Bamber estate and monies? Could it be his Uncle and family? A possible reason or motive for Robert Boutflour’s statement about Jeremy’s being able to kill his own parents.’

1. The fact that the jury were suspicious as to motive by Jeremy Bamber’s relatives places in issue their credibility as prosecution witnesses whereby they stood to make a pecuniary gain by securing a conviction for murder with Jeremy Bamber as the accused. Thus where Jeremy Bamber’s appeal was pending at that time and where the honesty or credibility of these material witnesses to the case is in question it is relevant that these allegations were investigated appropriately. Indeed the allegations of dishonesty and asset stripping clearly tolerated by Essex Police highlights a further agenda that bites on motive by the relatives of Jeremy Bamber who misled the jury regarding that relevant question. Due to their misleading the jury, they were never cross examined at trial as to this issue.

1. Robert Boutflour witness statement given to the jury, dated 17th October 1986, in response to the jury’s question, he stated that he was a very wealthy man in his own right owning a 50% share in Carbonell’s Farm, (Document A – 16), this was his primary asset. Yet he did not state that it is fact that on the 7th August 1985, he had a much greater motive to mislead the jury, because at that time he did not own Carbonell’s Farm. On the 7th August 1985, Jeremy stood to inherit 50% of Carbonell’s Farm upon the death of Mabel Speakman (his maternal grandmother) whose will left her estate equally between her two daughters, Pamela Boutflour and June Bamber.

1. In his diary for that period in 1985, Robert Boutflour was concerned about Jeremy being a beneficiary only 5 days after the tragedy at White House Farm, (Robert Boutflour’s Diary Doc  D-18). It is fact that on the 24th August 1985, Robert Boutflour met his own solicitor, Mr Rant, to receive legal advice to be informed as to how he could stop Jeremy from ‘profiting from his act.’ At that meeting he records how he was advised that the only way to allay this was for Mabel Speakman to change her will. Thus on the 2nd September 1985, Robert Boutflour organised for a solicitor, Mr Peek to visit Mabel Speakman in order for her to change her will. Thus ensuring that his wife, Pamela Boutflour was the only beneficiary of the estate.

1. Indeed during the trial there is record (Document AB-40 pages 50 – 52), of a discussion in chambers between counsel and the trial Judge regarding Robert Boutflour having a motive to lie to the jury about Jeremy

1. In 2003, Jeremy commenced civil proceedings against the Boutflour’s as to their use of undue influence in ensuring Mabel Speakman changed her will. There was no legal aid available for this action, and Jeremy was forced to represent himself, thus he was not fully informed of the procedures undertaken to ensure a hearing took place. The proceedings never commenced, because Jeremy failed to submit a pre-action letter to the respondents stating his case, prior to launching the action.

1. In January 2004, the Boutflour’s countersued Jeremy, this was for the costs of defending his proceedings. They were awarded £18,359.50 including over £7,000 for two barristers to oppose him. They did not have any need to employ a barrister in any event because they would have been instructed that due to there being an omission to act accordingly as to procedure, the case would have been struck out in any event.

1. Thus, not only were the Boutflour’s instrumental in ensuring that Jeremy had no recourse to funds in order to fight his case while in prison, by running down N and J Bamber Ltd, they also ensured that he was made liable for legal costs that they needn’t have incurred in the first instance due to their having access to legal advice. They have cynically ensured that Jeremy lost altogether just over £100,000 of his own money.

1. Not content with inheriting Mabel Speakman’s estate and June Bamber’s, they needed to ensure Jeremy suffered great financial loss, so as to prevent him fighting his case from prison. Basil Cock was employed to protect his interests, but on the face of it colluded with the family regarding the asset stripping of N and J Bamber Ltd.

1. In view of the fact that Essex Police did not address the matter with a view to investigating it, it is obvious that they did not want any attention drawn to the allegations of theft and dishonesty because it would have impugned the credibility of these witnesses as to the successful prosecution of Jeremy Bamber.

1. In Jeremy’s complaint to the IPCC dated December 2011, he questions why the Eaton’s and the Boutflour’s were not investigated in the first instance and that they are investigated again, by an external Police Force for theft and fraud in addition to investigating Essex Police themselves as to why they did not undertake a full and comprehensive investigation of the allegations made back in 1987.

END

Here is the link to the above article, which contains extra links:

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jeremy Bamber, a mass murderer or a victim of a miscarriage of justice?

Post by Guest on 17.07.15 11:01

The Mail on Sunday featured an article last week where an expert re-examined the case and agreed that he was guilty.  I've always believed he is, but not read before Sallypelt's link.

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Bamber Guilty?

Post by willowthewisp on 17.07.15 11:32

Hi saltypete,
Thanks for the article,I have read your reply to Jeremy Bamber being Guilty I will look at his trail and any Evidence for his conviction being safe unsafe?
In reply to a summary of the article, it doe's look as though there are a lot of benefactors who stood to obtain land,property and machinery of the estates and the only person who has not been a beneficiary appears to be the Guilty party, Jeremy Bamber!
According to Chris Spivey Essex Police force leave a lot to be desired, but then again any current serving Police Officers must be cringing every time they hear of how former  Police Officers have conducted them selves with regard to murder cases and the child abuses that have been covered up!!?
You can only hope that Mr. J Bamber to have access to proper legal representative's in any forth coming appeals and challenges to his inheritance that appears to have been handled in an unprofessional way to say the least?
I hope he is able to contact the people who were prepared to have the Police investigate and challenge the benefactors who have obviously fretted away to his rightful legacy!
Let us hope the Police are at least prepared to investigate the alleged perpetrators who may have swindled Jeremy Bamber out of his assets and at least be able to either absolve him of the Original crime of Murder they may now catch the guilty parties, who could have committed the Murders in the first place, after all aren't the Police supposed to look for a Motif for the crime?
In this case he has not benefitted from any inheritance of the Estate but has received bills owed to him whilst incarcerated at Her Majesty's Pleasure, surely there is a case to answer for the miscarriage of his inheritance if it is found that he did not commit the original crime?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 17.07.15 11:41

@willowthewisp wrote:Hi saltypete,
Thanks for the article,I have read your reply to Jeremy Bamber being Guilty I will look at his trail and any Evidence for his conviction being safe unsafe?
In reply to a summary of the article, it doe's look as though there a lot of benefactors who stood to obtain land,property and machinery of the estates and the only person who has not been a beneficiary appears to be the Guilty party, Jeremy Bamber!
According to Chris Spivey Essex Police force leave a lot to be desired, but then again any current serving Police Officers must be cringing every time they hear of how former  Police Officers have conducted them selves with regard to murder cases and the child abuses that have been covered up!!?
You can only hope that Mr. J Bamber to have access to proper legal representative's in any forth coming appeals and challenges to his inheritance that appears to have been handled in an unprofessional way to say the least?
I hope he is able to contact the people who were prepared to have the Police investigate and challenge the benefactors who have obviously fretted away to his rightful legacy!
Let us hope the Police are at least prepared to investigate the alleged perpetrators who may have swindled Jeremy Bamber out of his assets and at least be able to either absolve him of the Original crime of Murder they may now catch the guilty parties, who could have committed the Murders in the first place, after all aren't the Police supposed to look for a Motif for the crime?
In this case he has not benefitted from any inheritance of the Estate but has received bills owed to him whilst incarcerated at Her Majesty's Pleasure, surely there is a case to answer for the miscarriage of his inheritance if it is found that he did not commit the original crime?

Jeremy Bamber has lost 2 appeals to have his case reheard. At the time I welcomed these refusals. However, as I have stated, I am now looking over the latest information on JB's case. At the moment, I have an open mind. This is a shift from "guilty as charged".

As for JB he's the "only life-serving prisoner to have never admitted his guilt". He has, however, JB has quite a lot of support from people in "high places" and he is free to have contacts with newspapers etc. So, he's not rotting away in some cell without being heard.

Here is another link you may find interesting: http://poppymeze.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/jeremy-bamber-anthony-pargeter.html

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.07.15 11:52

JB was quick to point the finger at his sister, Sheila.

Just re-read the article I mentioned (could some-one c/p, please) and the expert is a crime writer who has recently published a book on the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 17.07.15 12:03

Ladyinred wrote:JB was quick to point the finger at his sister, Sheila.

Just re-read the article I mentioned (could some-one c/p, please) and the expert is a crime writer who has recently published a book on the case.
According to the evidence, JB had received a call from his father to say that Sheila ( a diagnosed schizophrenic and in fear of losing her twin boys) was running riot with a gun. Again there are different versions of whether this phone was made, but JB phoned the police to say that something was wrong "at the farm". JB went to the farm with the police and "waited outside the farmhouse all night, with the police" before entering in the morning.

Here is the link to Julie Mugford, the scorned ex-girlfriend of JB, whose "evidence" against JB got him arrested for the killing of his family a MONTH after the police had believed that Sheila had been responsible.

http://poppymeze.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/jeremy-bamber-julie-mugford.html

Edited to add that Jeremy Bamber took a lie detector test in 2007 and PASSED.

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Bamber Guilty?

Post by willowthewisp on 17.07.15 12:27

Hi Saltypete,
We all know how unreliable those lie detectors are!!!!!?
To test the machine for Accuracy the first person to test the Machine in Operation Grange, Clarence Mitchell followed by appropriate suspects,,any one care to put forward a list?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Bamber Guilty?

Post by willowthewisp on 17.07.15 13:33

Hi Saltypete,
I have just read an extract from the Guardian about JB, in the piece it stated when Police were at the crime scene, Police officers may have seen someone in the Farmhouse, whilst JB was stood outside with them?
Apparently some cousins of his found the silencer from the gun with bloodstains on it, note the Police did not find it and the date it was found was after the Murders were discovered by the Police?
The Police failed to inform the Jury at trail of a phone call from Jeremy's adopted Guardian, that his adopted daughter was acting strangely on the night of the Murders? 
Were these cousins benefactors of the Will of Testament of Bambers parents?
But it doesn't say who the blood belong to or whether it came from an animal?
Photographic evidence is cast in doubt on the Two sets of photographs,taken on two different dates, with no evidence of marks on furniture that was not shown to the jury,photos shown to jury had marks on the furniture that led to the Judge stating"it was conclusive evidence on it's own?
It would seem as though the Original Police investigation was flawed and they failed to tell the Jury of crucial evidence that would have cast a doubt as to JB conviction?
Yet another miscarriage of Justice!!!?
Just suppose for a moment of the man's innocence and how he will feel after losing more than 50% of his adult life incarcerated for something he did not do?
I suppose the only consolation is that capital punishment was before the time of the crime other wise another death on the states hands!

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 17.07.15 13:42

I have watched the Guardian video (13 minutes long).

I studied the case at the time, being an Essex case. I have always thought that Bamber was a manipulative liar and as guilty as hell. I think he was an unhappy soul because of his feelings of abandonment by his real parents (he was adopted).

I have just seen this photograph of Bamber at his parents' funeral:

To me his scrunched-up, crying face is pretend, acting, fake.

Not saying anything, but it does remind me of Kate McCann's appearance before the press after Madeleine went missing, which looked like another scrunched-up face (bit difficult to see, mostly hidden by Cuddle Cat).

It looks like it was yet another incompetent Essex Police investigation. Maybe the Court of Appeal will release him on some technicality. Despite the Guardian video, I am sure he shot and killed all five relatives.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 17.07.15 14:49

Sifting through the evidence, so far, and putting aside the alleged police "irregularities", I am still of the belief that JB is the guilty party. Provided we are told the truth, it is statements such as this statement that makes me question JB:

"a about 3.30 in the early morning of August 7, 1985, Bamber telephoned Chelmsford police station. ‘You’ve got to help me!’ he said tersely to PC Michael West. He claimed he had just received a frantic phone call from his father, who’d said, ‘Please come over . . . Your sister’s gone berserk and she’s got the gun,’ before the line went dead"

Yet, it has also been stated that "the police listened on the phone line to the farm, after they had been informed by JB about the phone call he'd received from his father.  If the line was silent, but still open, then why didn't JB tell the police that he heard the gun shots, and not just say "the line went dead"?

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow on 17.07.15 14:53

Apologies for giving MWT exposure

notlongnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MRNOODLES on 17.07.15 18:32

So why didn't the old man call the police himself if he knew his daughter had a mental illness and running around with a shot gun?

Bamber is a bulls*****er he's guilty.

MRNOODLES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lands_end on 17.07.15 19:14

I remember this horrible incident well. I was living in Colchester at the time. When I discussed it with friends back in the day we were all of the opinion that he was lying therefore most likely to be the guilty party. Rather like the jemmied shutters story and the sea bass explanation. People who are genuine have no need to lie.

Lands_end

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Innocent, or not...?

Post by missbeetle on 17.07.15 23:26

Not entirely dissimilar case to that of New Zealand's own David Bain :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bain

He was known for his flamboyant taste in knitwear :

- and was acquitted in 2009 after 13 years in jail - but still no compensation... 

(sorry if this is off-topic)

missbeetle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 18.07.15 0:21

@notlongnow wrote:

Apologies for giving MWT exposure
Well, thank you for posting.
And yes, you should apologise for the pretender Mark Williams-Thomas being in this film yes

As far as I'm aware, there are not many cases where a young gjrl, aged 24, who apparently had no firerarms experience whatsoever, can shoot herself  dead TWICE in the neck, holding the trigger of a 2-foot long rifle and pointing at her neck.

But this simple fact doesn't deter the intrepid Williams-Thomas poring over irrelevant details and ignoring the obvious - and not forgetting Bamber's tissue of lies, which were not dealt with in this film at all.

Funnily enough, there is an eerie connection between the Bamber case and the killing of Lee Balkwell.

That's because the lawyer featured in the above film, Simon McKay, intervened in the Balkwell case after I'd managed to secure a top-level IPCC investigation into Essex Police's conduct of their investigation, resulting in eight senior Essex Police officers being found guilty of 26 counts of misconduct.

He launched a civil claim for compensation on Les Balkwell's case, but handled it so badly that I then had to take over running the case for Les! (see details on Post No 4 of this thread:   http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t11106-les-balkwell-update-high-court-hearing-2-july-was-media-release-12noon-thursday-19-march-2015-high-court-hearing-room-e111-queens-bench-division-monday-23-march-11-30am )

As can be seen from my post there, Simon McMay had a few run-ins with the Law Society and went out of business last year. He has made £££££ from representing Bamber the past few years under the Legal Aid scheme. I was not impressed with him. I am having to pick up the pieces on the Balkwell case - a time-consuming job - because of the inadequate work done by Simon McKay. That's why I had to go to court with Les two weeks ago and get the judge to add in 16 new heads of claim. Simon McKay had left all these important heads of claim out!   

Back to the film, and one line early on, from his former girlfriend or a family member, was this:

"In the days after the killings, Jeremy Bamber showed no sadness for his lost family members".    

And how very telling is that??

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum on 18.07.15 1:40

Some of the 'new evidence' about the silencer raises more questions than it answers, surely?

Firstly, how did Sheila grapple with her father ,causing injury, whilst sustaining none herself? Why did she have no blood on her? How do we know in which order the two shots were fired at her throat- we are assuming the 'fatal' shot was last but this is only tenable if she shot herself. A murderer may simply want to' make sure'. How indeed would anyone shoot themselves twice in the neck. And then lay the gun across themselves.   Why would someone who murdered then committed suicide bother to put the silencer into a box and then on a shelf. Surely if it made the gun too long you would just unscrew it and drop it...

worriedmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum