The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Fiona Woolf Resigns

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fiona Woolf Resigns

Post by sallypelt on 31.10.14 17:06

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fiona Woolf Resigns

Post by Guest on 31.10.14 17:22

So, who will they appoint next? Margaret Hodge? laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.10.14 17:23

Who appointed her? was it Cameron?

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 31.10.14 17:24

Rose Quartz wrote:So, who will they appoint next? Margaret Hodge? laugh
don't laugh yet,they might just do that big grin any thing for a cover up

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 31.10.14 17:29

@tiny wrote:

I heard it's going to be Jimbo spin

I'll get my coat!

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 31.10.14 17:41

@sallypelt wrote:
@tiny wrote:

I'll get my coat!
then its a whitewash from the off. I hope if he does get the job there is a petition to get him out.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.10.14 17:56

Deleted my post, I was a bit worried about what the content might have accidentally implied whistling

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 31.10.14 18:00

I had to laugh when Theresa May states she has every confidence in these people she has chosen.

She doesn`t seem to get it - its not about HER confidence, its about the victims` confidence.

These government bods seem to be implying that the only people who are intelligent enough to chair this panel are establishment figures.

They should let the victims decide on someone.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 31.10.14 18:53

@Woofer wrote:I had to laugh when Theresa May states she has every confidence in these people she has chosen.

She doesn`t seem to get it - its not about HER confidence, its about the victims` confidence.

These government bods seem to be implying that the only people who are intelligent enough to chair this panel are establishment figures.

spot on.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.10.14 19:23

@tiny wrote:
@Woofer wrote:I had to laugh when Theresa May states she has every confidence in these people she has chosen.

spot on.
Is it pressure from the victims on who they don't want?

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 31.10.14 19:45

@tiny wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:
@tiny wrote:

I'll get my coat!
then its a whitewash from the off. I hope if he does get the job there is a petition to get him out
I know - I think it was good ole Jimbo that I heard on Radio 5 Live this morning saying that a new appointment should be made.....I think he was asked if he wanted the job, but he said he would but he hadn't been asked. He also mentioned that it could be given to another or our faves.....MWT!!!!!!

Imagine if it's between these two characters. Interesting though (if it was JG that I heard on the radio - perhaps someone could put me right) JG's preference for MWT - didn't know they were pals, but not surprised.

V.Pleased that the Woolf has gone, as I said on another thread - if she hasn't the confidence of the victims it will be a pointless insensitive exercise. She has stepped down, but it does beg the question as to why David Cameron and Mrs May still thought it okay, even today, that she was the right appointment when Victims representatives said they wanted her to resign. Are they listening to victims like they promised.....Not a chance!

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 31.10.14 19:50

If it's Jimbo them a march on Parliament with pitchforks might be in order.

("Troll" monitors please note... that's figurative speech).

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.10.14 19:51

I read on the twitter feed that JG thinks that Brian Moore, child abuse survivor, ex England rugby player, and now lawyer would be a good candidate.

On twitter BM was asked if he'd consider the position and he replied that he would, but would never be asked.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 31.10.14 20:46

@sallypelt wrote:
@tiny wrote:

I'll get my coat!

rotfl pop2 etc...

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 01.11.14 6:33

@mouse wrote:
@tiny wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:
@tiny wrote:

I'll get my coat!
then its a whitewash from the off. I hope if he does get the job there is a petition to get him out
I know - I think it was good ole Jimbo that I heard on Radio 5 Live this morning saying that a new appointment should be made.....I think he was asked if he wanted the job, but he said he would but he hadn't been asked. He also mentioned that it could be given to another or our faves.....MWT!!!!!!

Imagine if it's between these two characters. Interesting though (if it was JG that I heard on the radio - perhaps someone could put me right) JG's preference for MWT - didn't know they were pals, but not surprised.

V.Pleased that the Woolf has gone, as I said on another thread - if she hasn't the confidence of the victims it will be a pointless insensitive exercise. She has stepped down, but it does beg the question as to why David Cameron and Mrs May still thought it okay, even today, that she was the right appointment when Victims representatives said they wanted her to resign. Are they listening to victims like they promised.....Not a chance!

How I groaned when I heard news of Fiona Woolf's appointment as head of this particular inquiry, mouse, but having seen her 'resignation speech', I feel that the victims could do a lot worse than have a chair who has been dragged struggling to the realisation become acutely aware that whoever wears the crown gets to be judged for all time...

Who's next in line? JG, MWT, Hodge, Hewitt, Harperson or her spouse, Dromey?  Where's Dame Shirley in the ratings?  How about an ostensibly non persona grata establishment figure such as Aitkin or Archer?: Or the comedy double act 'Abbot & Portillo' whose bums appear to be welded together on Andrew Neil's sofa? What a shame Profumo popped his clogs and that there's something of a question mark over Sir Cliff. Perhaps another knight in white satin Sir Elton can furnish us with a solution to this dilemma (all puns intended)?

If it comes to the wire suggestions from the public at large, I hereby nominate recently retired DCI Clive Driscoll of the Met as, along with many others, I can vouchsafe him to be a man of unimpeachable integrity who will leave no stone unturned in the cold-blooded pursuit of justice - unless, of course, he's hauled off the job and disciplined for going where more career minded policemen will not venture undertaking his duties to the very best of his considerable abilities.

But hold the front page... a certain flamboyant flambouffant? MM has thrown his hair hat in the ring... Any other volunteers?  Adam Tudor? Edward Smethurst?  Non-uncle Brian Kennedy and all, including but not limited to an Ambassador for Missing People? rotfl

O dear, the ruling class do so like to regard us as being thicker than they are, don't they?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 01.11.14 11:21

@ultimaThule wrote:
@mouse wrote:
@tiny wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:
@tiny wrote:

I'll get my coat!

How I groaned when I heard news of Fiona Woolf's appointment as head of this particular inquiry, mouse, but having seen her 'resignation speech', I feel that the victims could do a lot worse than have a chair who has been dragged struggling to the realisation become acutely aware that whoever wears the crown gets to be judged for all time...

Who's next in line? JG, MWT, Hodge, Hewitt, Harperson or her spouse, Dromey?  Where's Dame Shirley in the ratings?  How about an ostensibly non persona grata establishment figure such as Aitkin or Archer?: Or the comedy double act 'Abbot & Portillo' whose bums appear to be welded together on Andrew Neil's sofa? What a shame Profumo popped his clogs and that there's something of a question mark over Sir Cliff. Perhaps another knight in white satin Sir Elton can furnish us with a solution to this dilemma (all puns intended)?

If it comes to the wire suggestions from the public at large, I hereby nominate recently retired DCI Clive Driscoll of the Met as, along with many others, I can vouchsafe him to be a man of unimpeachable integrity who will leave no stone unturned in the cold-blooded pursuit of justice - unless, of course, he's hauled off the job and disciplined for going where more career minded policemen will not venture undertaking his duties to the very best of his considerable abilities.

But hold the front page... a certain flamboyant flambouffant? MM has thrown his hair hat in the ring... Any other volunteers?  Adam Tudor? Edward Smethurst?  Non-uncle Brian Kennedy and all, including but not limited to an Ambassador for Missing People? rotfl

O dear, the ruling class do so like to regard us as being thicker than they are, don't they?

It's SIMPLE. The Final Solution.  It couldn't be simpler. bomb

Why doesn't Theresa May ask LEON BRITTAN to chair the investigation. 

He, above all others, would know exactly what had happened to the LOST DOSSIER and may even be able to recall where it it is and what was written in it.

It would save so much time and money if he could simply locate all of the lost material without having to go through a new and lengthy exercise to corral all the witnesses again. sarcastic

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 02.11.14 12:57

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817363/Duped-campaigners-felt-abuse-inquiry-chief-secretly-decided-resign-emotional-meeting.html

Duped: What campaigners felt when they found abuse inquiry chief had secretly decided to resign - BEFORE emotional meeting 

Abuse victims met Home Office officials to discuss Fiona Woolf controversy 
But she made the decision to quit as abuse inquiry chairman days earlier 
Mrs Woolf admitted she told Home Office of her plan to quit before meeting
Campaigners say they felt 'manipulated' into giving Mrs Woolf a graceful exit

By MARTIN BECKFORD and SIMON MURPHY FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
PUBLISHED: 00:57, 2 November 2014 | UPDATED: 00:58, 2 November 2014

Snips………

‘Abuse victims last night angrily accused the Home Office of ‘duping’ them into attending a pointless meeting to discuss the Fiona Woolf controversy – after they found out she had decided to quit as abuse inquiry chairman days earlier.
Survivors, pressure groups and lawyers travelled from all over the country to make their voices heard at the showdown on Friday morning. Some got up before dawn and spent hundreds of pounds on train tickets.
Officials listened to almost all of the 21 people present declare that they would not support the inquiry into historical child abuse while Mrs Woolf remained chairman, because of her friendship with former Home Secretary Leon Brittan – a friendship first revealed by The Mail on Sunday.
But the campaigners later discovered that Mrs Woolf had told the Home Office several days earlier that she had decided to step down.

The three-hour meeting at Millbank Tower in Central London ended at 1.30pm, yet by 3pm corporate lawyer Woolf was recording a TV interview announcing her departure and giving her side of the story, as well as issuing a formal press statement at 5pm.
And she even admitted to the BBC: ‘I made my decision a few days back and warned the Home Office of it.’
Last night those present at the meeting said they were furious when they began to suspect that it had been hastily arranged simply to provide a ‘stage-managed’ way for Mrs Woolf to say she was quitting the inquiry after listening to their views.
Dr Liz Davies, a former social worker and whistleblower, said: ‘I feel that we’ve been manipulated to enable Fiona Woolf to leave gracefully, and look as if she’d taken on survivors’ views when in fact the decision had already been made.’………
………………………

However, some said that other important aspects were discussed at the meeting. It was universally agreed by those present that the probe, already delayed after original chairman Baroness Butler-Sloss had to quit over perceived conflicts of interest, must be turned into a full-blown statutory inquiry – so that institutions such as churches, schools and care homes can be forced to hand over damning evidence of how children were abused and perpetrators escaped justice.
Many want it to be led by a judge with experience of child abuse cases. The Home Secretary will announce the next steps in Parliament tomorrow but campaigners said unless she makes significant changes, all confidence in the inquiry will be lost……………..’

Interesting also to read the Mail on Sundays Comment:

Aside from the ‘aren’t we wonderful’ bit they say the following:

‘Certainly, when Mrs Woolf did finally jump it came during the doldrums of Friday afternoon – the classic time when Government spin doctors like to ‘bury bad news’ – and in a carefully controlled manner. It didn’t work: yesterday’s newspapers were full of the story. 
Her announcement has vindicated this newspaper’s decision to investigate her appointment. At no stage did we call into question Mrs Woolf’s competence or integrity. But we believe we were right to question whether she would command the trust of the victims of child abuse.
Press freedom in Britain has never been in greater peril.
The police are using ‘snoopers’ legislation to identify journalists’ sources, Europe is allowing people to be excised from internet history under its ‘right to be forgotten’ ruling and there are dark rumblings from the politicians about ever more restrictive regulation.
The Woolf affair has been a reminder of the need to protect our tradition of fearless investigative journalism as part of a vibrant press.’

Is the Mail falling out of love with CM and his Media Monster (Bullshit & Lies) Unit then?

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 02.11.14 13:52

"Many want it to be led by a judge with experience of child abuse cases"  

Such as Mrs Justice Hogg, Doug?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 02.11.14 13:57

What do people think to the Brian Moore suggestion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 02.11.14 14:06

'I ponder about that person' I believe is the saying UT.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 03.11.14 18:37

Theresa May 'sorry' for two abuse inquiry resignations

Home Secretary Theresa May has said she is "sorry" that the inquiry into historical child abuse has no chairman, following two resignations.

Fiona Woolf resigned on Friday, saying victims did not have confidence in her.
She had faced pressure to quit over her social links to ex-Home Secretary Lord Brittan, whose handling of abuse claims in the 1980s has been questioned.
Predecessor Baroness Butler-Sloss resigned four months ago, also over her links with establishment figures.
The inquiry will continue its work while a new chairman is sought.
Labour has said the next chairman must have the confidence of victims' groups, while Lib Dem peer Lord Carlile said they should have experience of dealing with child abuse and child protection.

'Expertise'

Mrs May told MPs: "It's obviously very disappointing that we do not now have an inquiry chairman. For that I want to tell survivors (of abuse) that I'm sorry."
She added: "It will not be easy to find a chairman with the expertise to do this job and who has had no contact with an institution or individual about whom there are concerns."
Mrs May said the Home Affairs Committee would get to question the chosen candidate before they are appointed and that she would discuss the issue with Labour's shadow home secretary, Yvette Cooper.
The home secretary read a direct message to abuse victims, saying: "I know you have experienced terrible things. I know we cannot imagine what that must be like.
"And I know that, perhaps because of the identity of your abusers or the way you were treated when you needed help, many of you have lost trust in the authorities."
But she added: "We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to do something that is hugely important. Together we can expose what has gone wrong in the past, we can prevent it."
Mrs May announced the inquiry panel's preliminary hearings would begin on 12 November and take place every Wednesday until Christmas. There would also be six regional events going in to the new year, at which victims would give evidence.
"These will provide an early opportunity to hear their views about how the panel should go about its work," she said.
Mrs May said the results of a separate review into how the Home Office dealt with an investigation into child sex abuse allegations between 1979 and 1999 would be published next week.

'Integrity'

The main inquiry, announced in July, was set up to look at how public bodies and other institutions handled claims of child sex abuse from the 1970s to the present day.
This followed claims over many years about paedophiles in powerful places and alleged establishment attempts to cover up their actions.
Baroness Butler-Sloss stepped down a week after being appointed when concerns were raised about her late brother being attorney general during the 1980s.
BBC deputy political editor James Landale said whoever was chosen needed to have "a lot of time" on their hands as they would effectively have to devote three years to the role.
In the Commons, Ms Cooper said the inquiry had become "mired by confusion", adding: "So can I welcome the changes that you have announced today and also your apology to survivors of abuse for the things that have gone wrong?
"This House will be united in our determination that this inquiry should get back on track."
Labour MP Keith Vaz, chairman of the Home Affairs Committee, rejected suggestions the job had become a "poisoned chalice".
"We're an island of 64 million people, and I'm certain that we have someone with the skills, the leadership qualities, the integrity, and the ability to have a hands-on approach for what will be a very long inquiry," he said.

Investigatory powers

Matthew Reed, chief executive of The Children's Society, said: "The government's announcement today that the inquiry's work will continue while it takes steps to find a new chair is critical given the delays so far.
"It is crucial that this inquiry is given the power it needs to investigate abuse, past and present. This is only possible if it has the authority to compel individuals and organisations to appear and give evidence."
Mrs Woolf's appointment was criticised by victims after it emerged she had social links to former Home Secretary Lord Brittan, who may be called to give evidence during the inquiry. He denies any wrongdoing in the way a "dossier" on alleged high-profile paedophiles was handled.
Mrs Woolf, the Lord Mayor of London, disclosed she had lived in the same street as Lord Brittan and had dinner with him five times between 2008 and 2012 - but said he was not a "close associate".
She drew further criticism when Mr Vaz revealed a letter she sent to the committee about her relationship with the Conservative peer had been re-written seven times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29876263

…………………………….

So that’s alright then.

She’s going to discuss it with Yvette Cooper now, so if anything else goes wrong it’s not all her fault and the Commons Select (Keith Vaz and friends) are also going to have a look at them before they get appointed.

I wonder whether she was also put under pressure to appoint a woman and whether UT’s joke suggestion (I think it was a joke) of Mrs Justice Hogg may yet come to fruition.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 05.11.14 19:07

Interesting blog/letter to Keith Vaz regarding the lack of any declaration of interest regarding the UK Child Abuse Inquiry:

3 November 2014

Keith Vaz must make a public statement on his past if he is to continue as Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee

Below is the text of a letter which I sent on 1st November to Keith Vaz MP.

In it I ask him to, at a minimum, make a public statement about his past employment and actions which seem to me to be directly relevant to the matters to be considered by the UK Child Abuse Inquiry.

Mr. Vaz has rightly demanded demanded transparency from Fiona Woolf.

I believe it is right that Mr. Vaz too should be totally transparent about his own past associations. For Mr. Vaz to refuse to be transparent would be hypocritical in the extreme, as I say in the letter.

I am in discussion with the office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards with respect to Mr. Vaz's conduct.

My opinion is that Mr. Vaz broke Parliamentary rules when he didn't declare his past personal associations relevant to child abuse and to the child abuse inquiry.

A decision on that is, formally, for the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.

However, there is also the matter of public confidence in Mr. Vaz. Why, given that he is a solicitor, did he not declare these associations when the Home Affairs Select Committee took evidence from Mark Sedwill, Theresa May and Fiona Woolf?

I watched each of those three evidence sessions live and I have no recollection of Mr. Vaz declaring these associations as interests.

To the best of my understanding these remain undeclared interests.

Mr. Vaz needs to explain his silence on these matters, in my opinion.

Continues……………….

http://ukchildabuseinquiry.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/keith-vaz-must-make-public-statement-on.html?spref=tw

Undeclared personal interests regarding child abuse
Request for public statement

It seems to me that you have undeclared interests which have the potential materially to undermine any credibility you might otherwise have to chair confirmation hearings with respect to the UK Child Abuse Inquiry.

I write to ask that you make a public statement about these undeclared personal interests.

I further ask that you consider your position as Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee, at a minimum recusing yourself from playing any part in the proposed confirmation hearings for a replacement for Lady Butler-Sloss and Mrs. Woolf.

The three issues of concern

There are three personal interests which relate to you which, it seems to me, could impact on any credibility you might otherwise have:

Your past employment as a solicitor with Richmond Council

Your past employment as a senior solicitor with Islington Council

Your attempt in 1991 to change the Law with respect to allegations of child abuse made in open court

Continues…………

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Updates...

Post by missbeetle on 05.11.14 19:33

Cheers for the updates, Doug D.

missbeetle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 06.11.14 7:37

They are going to do all they can to ensure they appoint someone OnSide

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-dickens-dossier-secret-file-on-establishment-paedophiles-may-be-opened-9842133.html
A secret file which is said to contain the names of paedophiles with links to the British establishment and which is rumoured to be locked away in archives at the University of Oxford’s Bodleian Library, could be made public as part of the Government’s child abuse inquiry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2822939/Former-schoolboy-claims-drugged-abused-Coalition-minister-just-14.html
Former schoolboy claims he was drugged and abused by a Coalition minister when he was just 14
Man alleges he was given a pill which made him feel ill
He said he woke up naked but has no memory of alleged attack
Says he reported alleged incident to police, who will not question politician
Also alleges he was abused by two other men as a young pupil

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 06.11.14 8:06

Nothing like answering the question then!

‘When asked if he had been to the school the minister told the newspaper: 'Not only have I never been investigated, but there has been no allegation made and nor are there any grounds for any allegation.'

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum