The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

GREAT LIES AND HOAXES

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GREAT LIES AND HOAXES

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.02.16 19:38

This is meant to be a member participation thread.

The idea is to compile a list of some of the great lies and hoaxes that have deceived people, whether recently, or in the dim, distant past. Especially the most audacious and long-lasting lies and hoaxes.   

They could include deliberate hoaxes or cons, frauds, lies or cover-ups to hide all manner of wrong-doings. The idea is to build up some idea of the scale of the human capacity for lying - and of the human capacity for gullibility - being conned and deceived by lies.   

The only criterion I would set is that there must be a very deliberate lie or hoax at the heart of each one - and in each case the lie or hoax must have been proven beyond doubt.

Maybe we should just add one per post to give as many members as possible a chance to contribute.

No mention of the McCanns on this thread please.

If we have enough names, we might run a poll at the end on which have been the best - or rather, the most successful and brazen - lies and hoaxes. 

I will kick off with the first nomination:

LANCE ARMSTRONG - 8 years, and won a libel action on his way to winning several Tours de France

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GREAT LIES AND HOAXES

Post by Red herring on 04.02.16 19:57

Louise Woodward?

Red herring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 04.02.16 20:58

The Hitler Diaries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.02.16 21:16

Lord Jeffrey Archer -

Lied in 1986 about his relationship with Monica Coghlan, a prostitute...

Successfully sued the Star and the News of the World for libel years later...

Finally jailed in 2001 for four years for perjury and perverting the course of justice...

Kept his lie going for 15 years

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 04.02.16 21:40

Jonathan Aitken.
"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted journalism in our country with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon."

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 04.02.16 21:50

The Hillsborough Disaster

"On the 20th anniversary of the disaster, government minister Andy Burnham called for the police, ambulance and all other public agencies to release documents that had not been made available to Lord Justice Taylor in 1989.[5] This led to the formation of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which in September 2012 concluded that Liverpool fans were not responsible for the deaths and that attempts had been made by the authorities to conceal what happened, including the alteration by police of 116 statements relating to the disaster.[6][7] The report prompted immediate apologies from Prime Minister David Cameron; the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, David Crompton; Football Association chairman David Bernstein; and Kelvin MacKenzie, then-editor of The Sun, for their organisations' respective roles.[8]"

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 04.02.16 21:54

Jimmy Saville National Treasure.   BIG FAT LIE ALRIGHT.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 04.02.16 21:58

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenMeg on 04.02.16 22:02

Clinton - 'I did not have sexual relations wiht that woman..'

HelenMeg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.02.16 22:06

Tony Blair, British Prime Minister, early 1983:

"Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destructjon that could reach Britain in 45 minutes"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 04.02.16 22:27

Dame Esther Rantzen

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Granny Smith on 04.02.16 22:36

So many "crocodile tears" cases to choose from.

I'll go for the Philpotts who set fire to their home with their children inside.

Granny Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by S Hazell on 05.02.16 5:55

Tia Sharpe

From wikipedia

The murder of Tia Sharp was a high-profile case in the United Kingdom, in which a 12-year-old girl, Tia Sharp (30 June 2000 – 3 August 2012), was reported missing from the home of her grandmother, Christine Sharp, in New Addington, London, during August 2012.[1]

When police discovered her body in the loft of the house on 10 August 2012,[2] they arrested Christine Sharp and her boyfriend, Stuart Hazell[3][4] on suspicion of murder. Hazell is a former boyfriend of Tia's grandmother.[5] Hazell was charged with Tia's murder on 12 August.[6]

Five days into his trial at the Old Bailey in May 2013, Hazell changed his plea from not guilty to guilty. He was sentenced to life imprisonment with the judge setting a minimum term of 38 years.[7]

Hazell told police that Tia had left the house on 3 August 2012 to travel to Croydon, five miles away, to buy shoes in the Whitgift Centre.[8]

On 7 August, Tia's uncle, David Sharp, made a televised plea for her safe return.[9] Fifty-five sightings were reported by members of the public, but none were substantiated.[10] Eighty police officers were assigned to the search, and 800 hours of CCTV footage were collected.[11] On 9 August, Hazell appeared on an interview for ITV news, denying that he had done anything to Tia and praying for her safe return.[12]

Investigation

On 10 August, a body was discovered in a black bed sheet in a black bag in the loft of the home of Tia's grandmother, after police searched it for the fourth time.[13][14] Police launched a search for Hazell, and arrested him on suspicion of murder that evening at 8:25PM at Cannon Hill Common, Morden, after a tip-off from a member of the public.

S Hazell

Back to top Go down

Post by Phyllis Tyne on 05.02.16 8:03

The 1958 World Cup hoax. Which was itself a hoax. From Wikipedia article "Conspiracy 58"

The film also analyzes how the shadows of the players in the field were falling, and were angled in a way that is not possible in Sweden given the position of the sun at the time.

Phyllis Tyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.02.16 8:10

John Ramsey: "An intruder must have broken in, garotted and killed my daughter JonBenet Ramsey, and then tied up her body and hid it in the cellar"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 05.02.16 8:17

@Tony Bennett wrote:John Ramsey: "An intruder must have broken in, garotted and killed my daughter JonBenet Ramsey, and then tied up her body and hid it in the cellar"
Yes, that is an interesting case.
I think the parents were involved and possibly the son.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red herring on 05.02.16 8:23

@Tony Bennett wrote:John Ramsey: "An intruder must have broken in, garotted and killed my daughter JonBenet Ramsey, and then tied up her body and hid it in the cellar"

I actually said Jon Benet Ramsay at first but then changed it to Louise Woodward because you said "The only criterion I would set is that there must be a very deliberate lie or hoax at the heart of each one - and in each case the lie or hoax must have been proven beyond doubt." and I didn't think Jon Benet's case had been proven beyond doubt as her parents didn't go to jail whereas Louise Woodward did go to jail.

Red herring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 05.02.16 8:54

@Red herring wrote:

I actually said Jon Benet Ramsay at first but then changed it to Louise Woodward because you said "The only criterion I would set is that there must be a very deliberate lie or hoax at the heart of each one - and in each case the lie or hoax must have been proven beyond doubt." and I didn't think Jon Benet's case had been proven beyond doubt as her parents didn't go to jail whereas Louise Woodward did go to jail.
They would have gone to jail.

The grand jury indicted them for murder but the DA refused to sign off on it, as a result they got away with murder to date.

Hobs

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Red herring on 05.02.16 9:04

Eugene Zapata

Red herring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red herring on 05.02.16 9:05

Joanna Yeates

Red herring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.02.16 9:05

(Beaten to it by seconds by 'Red herring')

Eugene Zapata, USA. He said in 1976 that his wife had 'disappeared'.

Thirty years later, he was arrested and eventually, after cadaver dog alerts revealed evidence of a corpse at his property, he admitted he had murdered her and hidden her body:

http://host.madison.com/news/after-years-husband-is-charged-with-murder-jeanette-zapata-disappeared/article_d56d0ae0-8620-55b3-953d-71b73825d882.html

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red herring on 05.02.16 9:07

Thank you Mr Bennett, I would have added more but I'm not allowed to add links at the moment.

Red herring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red herring on 05.02.16 9:08

O J Simpson

Red herring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great lies and hoax's

Post by willowthewisp on 05.02.16 9:25

Lee Harvey Oswald,assassination of JFK November 1963