The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!


The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Ribisl on 20.05.14 9:37

Admin, please delete if previously posted. 


Police sex abuse units tied up with old cases
Sir Hugh Orde said an historical inquiry squad should be set up to ease the pressure on other units
Dave Thompson/PA


Sir Hugh Orde said an historical inquiry squad should be set up to ease the pressure on other units Dave Thompson/PA
Sean O’Neill Crime Editor
Published at 12:01AM, May 19 2014




The growing number of historical cases that the police are investigating is taking hundreds of officers away from present-day threats, one of the country’s top police officers has said.
Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said that an historical inquiry squad should be set up to ease the pressure.
The unit would deal with exceptional cases in a consistent way, instead of the ad-hoc responses to major inquiries such as the Hillsborough disaster, abuse at north Wales care homes and the activities of undercover police in the Stephen Lawrence investigation.
Sir Hugh said that the police faced “increasing pressure” to conduct historical inquiries that could not be ignored. “To police the future you have to police the present and the past — it’s all about public confidence,” he said.
However, the nature of those inquiries was that they demanded significant commitment of officers, time and money. Some cases were “drawing, without question, specialist officers from current inquiries to do historical inquiries”.
Police numbers in England and Wales have fallen by 16,000 since 2009, while there has been a growth in calls for inquiries, especially in the specialist area of child sex abuse cases.
Sir Hugh said: “The question here is do we have to set up an independent historical inquiry team to deal with the emerging issues, which I don’t think will slow down. It would have to be of sufficient size to be competent, but it would take the pressure off everyone who is suddenly having to find loads more experts from current, reducing forces who are fully employed dealing with current issues.”
He added: “The issue really is how does one protect the decreasing front line from being dragged away from its primary function of keeping people alive.”
Sir Hugh said that historical cases demanded high levels of resources to find papers, locate witnesses and decide how to handle victims, who might not always want to be reminded of the past.
Police chiefs are also looking with concern at Northern Ireland, where half the major crime team resources are devoted to inquiries into past events during the Troubles. Sir Hugh, a former chief constable in the province, said there was much to be learnt from the historical inquiries team there, despite criticism of it by inspectors.
He added that criticism of the team was “ill informed and ill judged”, because it failed to recognise that it was an independent unit set up with the priority of giving victims and families “maximum disclosure” and a form of resolution without guaranteeing trials and prosecutions.
Cost of investigating the past
North Wales care homes The investigation into alleged child abuse between 1953 and 1995 has 26 officers and staff and cost £1.3 million in its first year

Madeleine McCann The Met has 37 officers and staff investigating her murder in Portugal in 2007. The Home Office has met costs to date of £5.35 million

Yewtree The investigation into past sex crimes, which developed from the Jimmy Savile scandal, has 30 officers and cost £2.7 million to date

____________________
There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies... Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Ribisl

Posts : 807
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 9:48

Jimmy Saville £2.7 million to date.

Madeleine McCann £5.35 million to date.

avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by canada12 on 20.05.14 9:52

@Ribisl wrote:
Madeleine McCann The Met has 37 officers and staff investigating her murder in Portugal in 2007. The Home Office has met costs to date of £5.35 million

Interesting. And I almost missed it. I wonder if this line will be rewritten or whooshed in later editions.
Is this the first time The Times has referred to the Madeleine McCann case as murder?

canada12

Posts : 1461
Reputation : 201
Join date : 2013-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Tony Bennett on 20.05.14 9:54

@admin wrote:Jimmy Saville £2.7 million to date.

Madeleine McCann £5.35 million to date.
The actual cost of the Madeleine McCann investigation so far, according to recent official statements from Scotland Yard, must now be somewhere between £7 million and £8 million.

I assume that the Times' reference to Madeleine's 'murder' has now been amended - but as Rupert Murdoch now charges for online access to his papers' articles, and I'm not a subscriber, I can't check

____________________

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

avatar
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Posts : 14905
Reputation : 2998
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 70
Location : Shropshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 10:00

@Tony Bennett wrote:

I assume that the Times' reference to Madeleine's 'murder' has now been amended - but as Rupert Murdoch now charges for online access to his papers' articles, and I'm not a subscriber, I can't check

Give him your money Tony - you know you want to! 

I haven't read 1984 since a few years back now; suppose I'd better check my copy against the latest edition, see if they've made any more changes.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by canada12 on 20.05.14 10:02

I just think it's really interesting that the Times article refers to the McCann case exclusively as murder. Not a disappearance. Not an abduction. Murder. Even if it's amended or whooshed, it was out there and perhaps reflects the willingness of the press to begin to venture into that territory.

canada12

Posts : 1461
Reputation : 201
Join date : 2013-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Woofer on 20.05.14 10:03

Interesting it`s RM`s paper saying this - and it was this paper that exposed Henri Exton`s disgust with the Mcs.
Is RM`s paper starting to drop a few hints and why?

____________________
The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear - Jiddu Krishnamurti
avatar
Woofer

Posts : 3390
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2012-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by bobbin on 20.05.14 10:08

@Woofer wrote:Interesting it`s RM`s paper saying this - and it was this paper that exposed Henri Exton`s disgust with the Mcs.
Is RM`s paper starting to drop a few hints and why?

As soon as Rupert starts to show that he is willing to print the truth I'll start to think about subscribing to his paper.
Until that time, my way of indicating my disrespect for old men with no b***s is to withhold payment.  big grin 

bobbin

Posts : 2053
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2011-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 10:11

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@admin wrote:Jimmy Saville £2.7 million to date.

Madeleine McCann £5.35 million to date.
The actual cost of the Madeleine McCann investigation so far, according to recent official statements from Scotland Yard, must now be somewhere between £7 million and £8 million.

It seems a little odd that far less has been spent on the Operation Yewtree case, which has involved many perpetrators and many victims, than there has been spent on Maddie's 'disappearance'.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by aquila on 20.05.14 10:14

@admin wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:
@admin wrote:Jimmy Saville £2.7 million to date.

Madeleine McCann £5.35 million to date.
The actual cost of the Madeleine McCann investigation so far, according to recent official statements from Scotland Yard, must now be somewhere between £7 million and £8 million.

It seems a little odd that far less has been spent on the Operation Yewtree case, which has involved many perpetrators and many victims, than there has been spent on Maddie's 'disappearance'.
Operation Yewtree also has less staff. Remarkable.
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8792
Reputation : 1760
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by sofieellis on 20.05.14 10:15

Wow! Did anyone manage to get a screen shot of this? Has it been whooshed?

sofieellis

Posts : 184
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by canada12 on 20.05.14 10:19

@sofieellis wrote:Wow! Did anyone manage to get a screen shot of this? Has it been whooshed?

Unfortunately it's behind a paywall and I don't know anyone who has a subscription.

They didn't even refer to the case as Madeleine McCann's death. They called it murder.

I find this astounding. I know many others don't, for a variety of reasons. But given the previous hesitancy of the press to report only the TM version of events... this, to my mind, is amazing.

canada12

Posts : 1461
Reputation : 201
Join date : 2013-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 10:19

@sofieellis wrote:Wow! Did anyone manage to get a screen shot of this? Has it been whooshed?

Here's the link. Not a member, so I can't get the screenshot.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4093651.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_18

Can you get the screenshot ribisl?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Ribisl on 20.05.14 10:24

@aquila wrote:
@admin wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:
@admin wrote:Jimmy Saville £2.7 million to date.

Madeleine McCann £5.35 million to date.
The actual cost of the Madeleine McCann investigation so far, according to recent official statements from Scotland Yard, must now be somewhere between £7 million and £8 million.

It seems a little odd that far less has been spent on the Operation Yewtree case, which has involved many perpetrators and many victims, than there has been spent on Maddie's 'disappearance'.
Operation Yewtree also has less staff. Remarkable.
Interesting that it's mentioned in an article dealing with historical child sex abuse.

Forgot to insert the link. Here it is http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4093651.ece

____________________
There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies... Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Ribisl

Posts : 807
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Ribisl on 20.05.14 10:25

@admin wrote:
@sofieellis wrote:Wow! Did anyone manage to get a screen shot of this? Has it been whooshed?

Here's the link. Not a member, so I can't get the screenshot.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4093651.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_18

Can you get the screenshot ribisl?
Yes, I'll do that admin.

____________________
There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies... Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Ribisl

Posts : 807
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by sofieellis on 20.05.14 10:27

I don't have a subscription either unfortunately. But thanks, guys. It would be very interesting to know if the "M" word has been removed or not.

sofieellis

Posts : 184
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 10:30

@Ribisl wrote:
@admin wrote:
@sofieellis wrote:Wow! Did anyone manage to get a screen shot of this? Has it been whooshed?

Here's the link. Not a member, so I can't get the screenshot.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4093651.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_18

Can you get the screenshot ribisl?
Yes, I'll do that admin.

Thank you Ribisl, I'm sure Kate and Gerry will be grateful for the screenshot for when they sue The Times for hindering their search.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by canada12 on 20.05.14 10:49

I'm not sure if this helps but because I work at a university I have access to the digital version of The Times through the university's library. I can access this from home. I've just checked the May 19 article as it appears in The Times digital archive, and the sentence is still there. So it's recorded for posterity.

I can't do a screen shot as I don't know where or how I could post the picture of it.

canada12

Posts : 1461
Reputation : 201
Join date : 2013-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Ribisl on 20.05.14 10:54

@admin wrote:
@Ribisl wrote:
@admin wrote:
@sofieellis wrote:Wow! Did anyone manage to get a screen shot of this? Has it been whooshed?

Here's the link. Not a member, so I can't get the screenshot.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4093651.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_18

Can you get the screenshot ribisl?
Yes, I'll do that admin.

Thank you Ribisl, I'm sure Kate and Gerry will be grateful for the screenshot for when they sue The Times for hindering their search.

____________________
There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies... Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Ribisl

Posts : 807
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 10:56

Great stuff, Ribisl, thank you  thumbsup 
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by canada12 on 20.05.14 10:57

Ribisl,

 thumbup 

canada12

Posts : 1461
Reputation : 201
Join date : 2013-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by sofieellis on 20.05.14 11:00

Thank you so much, Ribisl. I am stunned that they have used the word "murder".

sofieellis

Posts : 184
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 11:02

Ribisl, please could you check the article later on to see if it's been a) whooshed or b) changed?

I'm sure Carter-Ruck is furiously typing a letter to Sean O'Neill as we speak.... or  onphone 
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by Guest on 20.05.14 11:03

Thank you Ribisl  thumbsup 
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Times article 19 May 2014 mentions 'her murder'

Post by bobbin on 20.05.14 11:04

Well done Ribisl, as mentioned, it is in the McCs' best interest to have copies of anything that might get whooshed. They will never know when back reference will be required.
"better safe than sorry"..... an old medical expression, I'm sure.  big grin

bobbin

Posts : 2053
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2011-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum