The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Sharon Lewin (Nursery School Worker)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sharon Lewin (Nursery School Worker)

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 21:51

Sharon Lewin is the nursery school worker from Laurel's nursery in Leicester.

She looked after MBM for a 6 month period from when she was 2 and a half according to her.

Just been reading her statement from the PJ files. Copied and pasted below. 

My comments / questions are in blue. Seems someone else is telling a load of crock too....

MODS - This subject probably doesn't warrant a new thread. Just didn't know where to put it? Move if you feel fit?

Leicestershire Police Force

Statement by Sharon LEWIN

This statement (2 pages) is truthful in accordance with my understanding.

Date: 21st April 2008

I am the person referred to above and I work as a teaching assistant at Laurels Nursery School, Melton Road, Queniborough, Leicestershire. The nursery school has the capacity to receive about 80 children full-time, aged between 6 weeks and 5 years and is open from 07.30 to 18.00 daily. The children are grouped according to age and I work in the section that looks after children aged between two and half and three years old. I have worked at the nursery for five years and I am currently on maternity leave.

I got to know Madeleine and her parents Kate and Gerry through my work at the nursery school. Madeleine started at the nursery when she was about two years old. About 2 years old. Any exact dates when she started? 

When she was two and a half she joined the group supervised by me, I think it was in 2006, and she remained there for about 6 months. Where did she go after about 6 months? So she went somewhere else when she was 3 then? Where? Madeleine attended on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Did Kate work Mondays and Friday's then?

She would be dropped off between 08.00 and 08.30 and would return home at about 17.00. The dropping off and picking up was taken in turns by the parents and as a result of this Kate and Gerry asked me to take care of the children during the evening on some occasions. Is that common practice to ask your child's nursery teacher to babysit out of work hours too? Kate would pick Madeleine up from the nursery at the end of the day and I would accompany them to their house. We would have tea and I would help give Madeleine her bath. Nursery teacher bathing M as well? Is she getting paid for all this? Where are the Twins?

Kate and Gerry would go out and I would watch a DVD with the girl before telling her a bedtime story. Would you really sit and watch a dvd with a 2 and a half / 3 year old in the eve? Where are the twins?

I think I did this about 5 times and on each occasion it was at their home in Rothley.

I always think of Madeleine as an alert and affectionate girl who liked to live.Liked to live?? She was very advanced for her age and independent. She liked to dance and to dress up. What's all this advanced for her age that everyone harps on about? Dress up as in make up too?

Kate and Gerry were always very friendly to me. I am quite close to both of them She just said above she only went to the house 5 times? Close to both of them? and they were always kind and generous Money generous?. I am probably a bit closer to Kate who would sometimes send me text messages and I would take my baby along to visit her and have coffee. So who was looking after your baby while you were out looking after MBM?

I consider her to be a good friend. A good friend. Your paid to look after toddlers. You get roped in by kate to occasionally work in the evenings, 5 you say and she's now a good friend?

I never saw Madeleine have any problem or conflict with her parents, family members or friends. Of course you wouldn't if she is now a good friend? When did you see MBM with other family members?

I would describe them as a charming family who loved each other. Over egging that a bit? The twins adored their older sister and Kate and Gerry would often play with the children. Often play with the children. Really... the parents often played with there own children. Well i never..

Madeleine felt comfortable at the nursery school, she had many friends and got on well with the other children. Will have to take your word on that i guess.

Madeleine was quite a healthy girl. Quite a healthy girl? She had a good appetite and ate well. I don't remember any injury or accident. She would occasionally have a small scrape at the nursery but nothing abnormal. During the six months she was under my care she was absent five times because of being unwell, but they were just small colds with a high temperature. You sure they were just small colds?

At the nursery medication could only be administered by the senior members of staff and with the agreement of the children's parents. The only medication that I recall Madeleine taking was Calpol to lower her temperature.

Madeleine never complained about her family or friends What 2 and a half, 3 year old would complain about her family or friends? and as I have already stated I consider them to be a charming family. Charming? That word again. She loved her mother and father Why would she not? and always knew who would pick her up from the nursery ad was always anxious for that moment. Gerry and Kate never appeared to have any problems in dealing with Madeleine.Again now there your good friends, then you would say that? We would have regular meetings with the parents at the nursery and they never expressed any worry in relation to Madeleine's behaviour.

Madeleine was a very active child but I would not call her hyperactive. She never got over excited and always had good behaviour. Does that not contradict what other family members have stated? Madeleine was easy to look after, a very independent girl Just how independent is a 2 and a half, 3 year old but she never placed herself in dangerous situations, as far as I saw.

Occasionally during the afternoon, some of the children would have a siesta in the dormitory but Madeleine never did. I had the opportunity to be present at her bedtime when I looked after her. Bath time was at about 18.30 - 19.00 and she would later go to bed at about 19.30 – 20.00 I would read her a story or two and she would always fall asleep half way through. Fall's asleep like clockwork then. Just like in Portugal?

Gerry and Kate would normally return home at about 22.30 and before this I would check whether she was all right, by looking around the bedroom door. What? doing an Oldfield? Not stepping foot inside the room? I do not have knowledge of the girl waking up after she fell asleep. You wouldn't do unless you stayed the night next to her?

This statement was made by me and is truthful in accordance with my understanding. Mmmmmmmm....

Back to top Go down

Re: Sharon Lewin (Nursery School Worker)

Post by canada12 on 19.05.14 22:03

In a lot of the statement analysis things I've read here on this forum, attention is always drawn to instances where the speaker distances him or herself from the subject by referring to the subject in "distancing" terms.

All the way through this statement the Nursery School worker calls Madeleine by her first name... except on these occasions:

Kate and Gerry would go out and I would watch a DVD with the girl before telling her a bedtime story.

The twins adored their older sister and Kate and Gerry would often play with the children.

I do not have knowledge of the girl waking up after she fell asleep.

So what is it about these three statements that make Sharon Lewin uncomfortable, or make her want to distance herself from what she's saying?

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.05.14 22:06

Andrew77R wrote:Sharon Lewin is the nursery school worker from Laurel's nursery in Leicester.

She looked after MBM for a 6 month period from when she was 2 and a half according to her.

Just been reading her statement from the PJ files. Copied and pasted below. 

My comments / questions are in blue. Seems someone else is telling a load of crock too....

MODS - This subject probably doesn't warrant a new thread. Just didn't know where to put it? Move if you feel fit?

Leicestershire Police Force

Statement by Sharon LEWIN

This statement (2 pages) is truthful in accordance with my understanding.

Date: 21st April 2008

I am the person referred to above and I work as a teaching assistant at Laurels Nursery School, Melton Road, Queniborough, Leicestershire. The nursery school has the capacity to receive about 80 children full-time, aged between 6 weeks and 5 years and is open from 07.30 to 18.00 daily. The children are grouped according to age and I work in the section that looks after children aged between two and half and three years old. I have worked at the nursery for five years and I am currently on maternity leave.

I got to know Madeleine and her parents Kate and Gerry through my work at the nursery school. Madeleine started at the nursery when she was about two years old. About 2 years old. Any exact dates when she started? 

When she was two and a half she joined the group supervised by me, I think it was in 2006, and she remained there for about 6 months. Where did she go after about 6 months? So she went somewhere else when she was 3 then? Where? Madeleine attended on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Did Kate work Mondays and Friday's then?

She would be dropped off between 08.00 and 08.30 and would return home at about 17.00. The dropping off and picking up was taken in turns by the parents and as a result of this Kate and Gerry asked me to take care of the children during the evening on some occasions. Is that common practice to ask your child's nursery teacher to babysit out of work hours too? Kate would pick Madeleine up from the nursery at the end of the day and I would accompany them to their house. We would have tea and I would help give Madeleine her bath. Nursery teacher bathing M as well? Is she getting paid for all this? Where are the Twins?

Kate and Gerry would go out and I would watch a DVD with the girl before telling her a bedtime story. Would you really sit and watch a dvd with a 2 and a half / 3 year old in the eve? Where are the twins?

I think I did this about 5 times and on each occasion it was at their home in Rothley.

I always think of Madeleine as an alert and affectionate girl who liked to live.Liked to live?? She was very advanced for her age and independent. She liked to dance and to dress up. What's all this advanced for her age that everyone harps on about? Dress up as in make up too?

Kate and Gerry were always very friendly to me. I am quite close to both of them She just said above she only went to the house 5 times? Close to both of them? and they were always kind and generous Money generous?. I am probably a bit closer to Kate who would sometimes send me text messages and I would take my baby along to visit her and have coffee. So who was looking after your baby while you were out looking after MBM?

I consider her to be a good friend. A good friend. Your paid to look after toddlers. You get roped in by kate to occasionally work in the evenings, 5 you say and she's now a good friend?

I never saw Madeleine have any problem or conflict with her parents, family members or friends. Of course you wouldn't if she is now a good friend? When did you see MBM with other family members?

I would describe them as a charming family who loved each other. Over egging that a bit? The twins adored their older sister and Kate and Gerry would often play with the children. Often play with the children. Really... the parents often played with there own children. Well i never..

Madeleine felt comfortable at the nursery school, she had many friends and got on well with the other children. Will have to take your word on that i guess.

Madeleine was quite a healthy girl. Quite a healthy girl? She had a good appetite and ate well. I don't remember any injury or accident. She would occasionally have a small scrape at the nursery but nothing abnormal. During the six months she was under my care she was absent five times because of being unwell, but they were just small colds with a high temperature. You sure they were just small colds?

At the nursery medication could only be administered by the senior members of staff and with the agreement of the children's parents. The only medication that I recall Madeleine taking was Calpol to lower her temperature.

Madeleine never complained about her family or friends What 2 and a half, 3 year old would complain about her family or friends? and as I have already stated I consider them to be a charming family. Charming? That word again. She loved her mother and father Why would she not? and always knew who would pick her up from the nursery ad was always anxious for that moment. Gerry and Kate never appeared to have any problems in dealing with Madeleine.Again now there your good friends, then you would say that? We would have regular meetings with the parents at the nursery and they never expressed any worry in relation to Madeleine's behaviour.

Madeleine was a very active child but I would not call her hyperactive. She never got over excited and always had good behaviour. Does that not contradict what other family members have stated? Madeleine was easy to look after, a very independent girl Just how independent is a 2 and a half, 3 year old but she never placed herself in dangerous situations, as far as I saw.

Occasionally during the afternoon, some of the children would have a siesta in the dormitory but Madeleine never did. I had the opportunity to be present at her bedtime when I looked after her. Bath time was at about 18.30 - 19.00 and she would later go to bed at about 19.30 – 20.00 I would read her a story or two and she would always fall asleep half way through. Fall's asleep like clockwork then. Just like in Portugal?

Gerry and Kate would normally return home at about 22.30 and before this I would check whether she was all right, by looking around the bedroom door. What? doing an Oldfield? Not stepping foot inside the room? I do not have knowledge of the girl waking up after she fell asleep. You wouldn't do unless you stayed the night next to her?

This statement was made by me and is truthful in accordance with my understanding. Mmmmmmmm....

Would you be able to give a link for this statement? I find it shocking too.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 22:12

@Canada12.

I'm no expert in statement analysis but i do find it intriguing. Yes i wonder why she is distancing herself like you say.

Maybe HOBS could give his thinking on it?

@Aquila.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SHARON_LEWIN.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 19.05.14 22:13

Oh dear, such a lot of strange remarks in terms of timing..
Always going home to Rothley with Madeleine around 3 yrs old. School seems to be in Queniborough. When did the McCs move to Rothley.... and yes, where were the twins when Maddie was being bathed, watching a DVD and having a story read ?
And during a 6 month period Maddie was ill 5 times, temperature needing calpol but not needing a siesta like the other children. caramba !

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.05.14 22:18

I'm a bit confused as the statement from the link is in Portuguese and I can only assume what I'm reading in English is a translation.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 22:27

@aquila wrote:I'm a bit confused as the statement from the link is in Portuguese and I can only assume what I'm reading in English is a translation.
Strange... It's in English when i just clicked on the link i posted to check?

Otherwise, just go to the PJ files. 

Go to Sitemap.

Go to Case Files A-Z index.

Then S, for Sharon Lewin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasputin on 19.05.14 22:49

Karen McCalman also used to look after Madeleine " some afternoons or days "...poor girl seems farmed out quite alot .

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 22:55

andrew fyi hobs is female:-)

"the girl"...very unusual way to speak about Madeleine.

Having a child of similar age yes we could sit and watch a film together but not if there were two smaller children around.
The bath reference again surprises me,the only people that bathe my child are myself and husband,parents if staying overnight and only if needed.

Why did Madeleine seem to require additional help with bathing? Going by several statements it's a common theme.odd.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 22:59

@Rasputin wrote:Karen McCalman also used to look after Madeleine  " some afternoons or days "...poor girl seems farmed out quite alot .
Just read her statement too off the PJ files.

Another one that seems strange.

'She was almost a perfect child.....'

Agrees with Gerry then. Almost perfect!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:03

Bellisa wrote:andrew fyi hobs is female:-)
Ooops.

Sorry Hobs if your reading.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasputin on 19.05.14 23:05

McCalman describes Madeleine as being shy....so what an ordeal being bathed by relative strangers must have been for her !!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 19.05.14 23:07

Andrew77R wrote:
@aquila wrote:I'm a bit confused as the statement from the link is in Portuguese and I can only assume what I'm reading in English is a translation.

Go to Sitemap.

It says it is a statement to Leics police (in your post) and the date is 2008 Andrew77R, so I assumed it must have been a statement given during the round of rogatory sessions. As the tapas lot were well briefed in advance and had been given access to each other's statements by plod I don't have much faith in anything emanating from that quarter.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.05.14 23:09

@Mirage wrote:
Andrew77R wrote:

Go to Sitemap.

It says it is a statement to Leics police (in your post) and the date is 2008 Andrew77R, so I assumed it must have been a statement given during the round of rogatory sessions. As the tapas lot were well briefed in advance and had been given access to each other's statements by plod I don't have much faith in anything emanating from that quarter.
Me neither Mirage.

What a bloody shame for Madeleine McCann.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:10

It appears any tom, dick or harriet is allowed to bathe MBM. 

As Belissa says. Very odd indeed.

No mention of other people bathing the twins. Just MBM. Strange!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:17

@Mirage wrote:It says it is a statement to Leics police (in your post) and the date is 2008 Andrew77R, so I assumed it must have been a statement given during the round of rogatory sessions. As the tapas lot were well briefed in advance and had been given access to each other's statements by plod I don't have much faith in anything emanating from that quarter.
Yeah sorry, it was a rog one.

So with these rogs... Leics police said we will soon be interviewing X Y and Z etc in connection with MBM. Then team Mccann went round to see X Y and Z and briefed them what the the police will be asking and what they should be saying..??

Is that right?

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.05.14 23:21

Andrew77R wrote:
@Mirage wrote:It says it is a statement to Leics police (in your post) and the date is 2008 Andrew77R, so I assumed it must have been a statement given during the round of rogatory sessions. As the tapas lot were well briefed in advance and had been given access to each other's statements by plod I don't have much faith in anything emanating from that quarter.

So with these rogs... Leics police said we will soon be interviewing X Y and Z etc in connection with MBM. Then team Mccann went round to see X Y and Z and briefed them what the the police will be asking and what they should be saying..??

Is that right?
It's my understanding that the McCanns were allowed to pose questions via the Leicester Police in the rogatory interviews.

I'm still not clear whether the PJ asked for rogatory interviews from friends/nannies/baby minders etc or whether this was initiated by the McCanns.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roy rovers on 19.05.14 23:25

@canada12 wrote:In a lot of the statement analysis things I've read here on this forum, attention is always drawn to instances where the speaker distances him or herself from the subject by referring to the subject in "distancing" terms.

All the way through this statement the Nursery School worker calls Madeleine by her first name... except on these occasions:

Kate and Gerry would go out and I would watch a DVD with the girl before telling her a bedtime story.

The twins adored their older sister and Kate and Gerry would often play with the children.

I do not have knowledge of the girl waking up after she fell asleep.

So what is it about these three statements that make Sharon Lewin uncomfortable, or make her want to distance herself from what she's saying?

Sounds like the sentences that refer to 'the girl' were scripted by someone else.
roy rovers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:27

@aquila wrote:It's my understanding that the McCanns were allowed to pose questions via the Leicester Police in the rogatory interviews.

I'm still not clear whether the PJ asked for rogatory interviews from friends/nannies/baby minders etc or whether this was initiated by the McCanns.
Maybe Petermac could input some clarity on this...

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 19.05.14 23:31

Andrew77R wrote:It appears any tom, dick or harriet is allowed to bathe MBM. 

As Belissa says. Very odd indeed.

No mention of other people bathing the twins. Just MBM. Strange!!
Andrew77R. I find it strange that the dates she gives are vague. When she knew she was being called on to make a statement she could have checked the records in advance.

What jumps out at me is the nursery being in Queniborough and she makes a point of saying the babysitting was always at Rothley. I'm not sure of the distances involved - maybe they'd moved house by now and wanted continuity with the nursery. Even so, MBM must have left at some point when she was still of nursery age. So, as you say - where did she go? Another nursery?

What I do remember from yonks ago (part of JD's research IIRC) was that there were numerous names and comings and goings associated with the Queniborough address. Also, GM had some documentation still giving that address. From memory it was a driving licence and maybe something else. I believe it came up in relation to the car hire.

Hi Aquila - I agree, a great shame.

eta I nearly added the Mcs were allowed to pose questions, Andrew77R. I had registered this info but cannot give a direct ref at the mo.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:39

@aquila wrote:
Andrew77R wrote:

Is that right?
It's my understanding that the McCanns were allowed to pose questions via the Leicester Police in the rogatory interviews.

Requested by the McCann's as can be seen here, Group 4

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MCCANNS-WANTED.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.05.14 23:42

Gollum wrote:
@aquila wrote:
Andrew77R wrote:

Is that right?

Requested by the McCann's as can be seen here, Group 4

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MCCANNS-WANTED.htm
Thank you Gollum
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:43

@Mirage wrote:Andrew77R. I find it strange that the dates she gives are vague. When she knew she was being called on to make a statement she could have checked the records in advance.

What jumps out at me is the nursery being in Queniborough and she makes a point of saying the babysitting was always at Rothley. I'm not sure of the distances involved - maybe they'd moved house by now and wanted continuity with the nursery. Even so, MBM must have left at some point when she was still of nursery age. So, as you say - where did she go? Another nursery?

What I do remember from yonks ago (part of JD's research IIRC) was that there were numerous names and comings and goings associated with the Queniborough address. Also, GM had some documentation still giving that address. From memory it was a driving licence and maybe something else. I believe it came up in relation to the car hire.

Queniborough to Rothley is 4 miles / 9 mins drive according to my mate google. So not far and no reason to change nurseries but yes where did she go when she was 3? Did she stay at the same one and moved into another class therefore not in the care of Sharon. Or did she go to another one. Or did she just stop going to nursery for reasons unknown?

Agreed, very strange that she is vague on dates.

IIRC yes it was Gerry's driving licence that still had the Q address on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 23:43

"Madeleine was quite a healthy girl. She had a good appetite and ate well. I don't remember any injury or accident. She would occasionally have a small scrape at the nursery but nothing abnormal. During the six months she was under my care she was absent five times because of being unwell, but they were just small colds with a high temperature."

I've read this before and alarm bells rang.

A) 5 absences due to illness in 6 months is one hell of a high ratio. My chlidren have probably been absent from nursery/ school 5 times in their lives. My eldest is 15.

B) This whole excerpt seems to be almost justifying reasons for overstating the robust health of Madeleine:
   - "quite a healthy girl"
   - "but nothing abnormal"
   - "but they were just small colds with a high temperature".
          .... smacks to me of protesting too much.

I become increasingly convinced MM had an underlying medical condition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 19.05.14 23:49

Andrew77R wrote:
@Mirage wrote:Andrew77R. I find it strange that the dates she gives are vague. When she knew she was being called on to make a statement she could have checked the records in advance.

Queniborough to Rothley is 4 miles / 9 mins drive according to my mate google. So not far and no reason to change nurseries but yes where did she go when she was 3? Did she stay at the same one and moved into another class therefore not in the care of Sharon. Or did she go to another one. Or did she just stop going to nursery for reasons unknown?

Agreed, very strange that she is vague on dates.

IIRC yes it was Gerry's driving licence that still had the Q address on.
Thanks for your mate's input! Yes the question still remains about where she went. 

The title of JD's thread is "McCanns hire car contract". In the OP he mentions the McCanns had moved out of the Queniborough address on 20th Jan 2006 and were living at Rothley.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum