The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What happened last year.

Post by Jauna Loca on 26.04.14 15:54

Cristobell wrote:
Jauna Loca wrote:Hi Cristobel, actually didn't Kate return alone last year? They did the ITV show first, all smiles and laughter, then the genuine grief at the home vigil was apparant a few days later
(on the Friday IIRC). On Monday there were pics of Kate and Sue Hubbard in PdL coming out of the church and the usual woebegone headlines and expressions. Struck me as a sudden
summons at the time as the visit certainly wasn't on the cards when the interview was aired. Something changed this time last year IMO and the pressure is on the couple.
You are right Juana Loca, she did go back last year for a low key visit, but I don't think the Portuguese investigation was live at the time.  I believe something changed last year too, around that time.  Even in the days following Madeleine's disappearance they did not show the level of grief that was on their faces at that vigil.
Do either of you have any theories as to what that "something" might be? (I agree that something has changed although I base this more on intuition than anything more substantial)

IM0 at the time it had to do with the libel trial. By all accounts the McCanns had had their bluff called. They realised that they would have to go through with the court action as Dr. Amaral
wasn't scared off by their sabre rattling or tempted by appeasement of their proposed settlement. Yet they knew they couldn't afford to challenge the content of what the MSM deemed his
"outrageous lies" as it would release a huge can of worms. They were trapped and they knew it.
avatar
Jauna Loca

Posts : 65
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by Cristobell on 26.04.14 16:33

Châtelaine wrote:Lest we forget: this is an MSM headline.
I've seen no proof anyone of those are on their way to go to PdL ... as they are "understood" they are  laughat 
Nothing about the approaching anniversary on the OFM FB page, no balloon launches, or lanterns or fundraisers, just the recent BBC report about 18 assaults that no-one in Portugal ever heard about. I think we are approaching the end of the line.  The PJ will have to question the parents at some stage, and how can the McCanns refuse?  I would be very surprised if they are comfortable about going to Portugal together now, during one of the heart tugging chapters of Kate's book she describes how Gerry considered hiring a car and the family fleeing across the border.  

Perhaps the death in the apartment theory mentioned by DCI Redwood comes from the PJ, not SY as they are looking for a smelly creature targeting British holidaymakers.  

I wonder now if they were given one year's notice before last year's candlelight vigil, an ultimatum of sorts, perhaps they made a promise to return? Seven years is a big anniversary in the case of a missing person, it is a time when they can legally be declared dead.  After 7 years the McCann mantra that Madeleine is still alive, rings hollow.  I think even the general public would start calling for common sense, should Operation Grange go into an 8th or gawd 'elp us, a 9th year.

Returning to Portugal for the anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance is a perfect way in which to retain their dignity.  They would not want to be seen as returning for questioning by the Portuguese police and Kim Kardashian would have more chance of wandering through airports than 'hold that pose' Kate and Gerry.

Cristobell

Posts : 2436
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 26.04.14 16:58

@Cristobell wrote:
  The PJ will have to question the parents at some stage, and how can the McCanns refuse?

Simply by making themselves unavailable, Christobel. Even if they were arrested on Portuguese soil, they would  refuse to subject themselves to further questioning by giving no comment answers.

Unless the PJ can come up with some tangible evidence to support their theories, the McCanns will never be prosecuted. They most certainly are not going to assist in their own downfall by the further answering of police questions. The only tangible evidence that I can envisage ever becoming available is the discovery of Madeleine's body close to the proximity of where they were staying. It may not yield any forensic evidence due to the passing of time, but were it to be discovered in the close proximity of their apt. it would add weight to a circumstantial case being formulated against them.

Short of them losing what sanity they may have left and actually confessing, I can't foresee any other way that the McCanns could possibly be prosecuted, can you?

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by The Slave on 26.04.14 19:01

@diatribe wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:
  The PJ will have to question the parents at some stage, and how can the McCanns refuse?

Simply by making themselves unavailable, Christobel. Even if they were arrested on Portuguese soil, they would  refuse to subject themselves to further questioning by giving no comment answers.

Unless the PJ can come up with some tangible evidence to support their theories, the McCanns will never be prosecuted. They most certainly are not going to assist in their own downfall by the further answering of police questions. The only tangible evidence that I can envisage ever becoming available is the discovery of Madeleine's body close to the proximity of where they were staying. It may not yield any forensic evidence due to the passing of time, but were it to be discovered in the close proximity of their apt. it would add weight to a circumstantial case being formulated against them.

Short of them losing what sanity they may have left and actually confessing, I can't foresee any other way that the McCanns could possibly be prosecuted, can you?


Getting them into a witness box under proper cross examination , as Pistorius for example, and we'd see the lies exposed. Kate & Gerry would crumble under REAL scrutiny. I know they would.
avatar
The Slave

Posts : 127
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 26.04.14 20:02

@The Slave wrote:



Getting them into a witness box under proper cross examination , as Pistorius for example, and we'd see the lies exposed. Kate & Gerry would crumble under REAL scrutiny. I know they would.

I'm sure they would, but it ain't gonna happen, not in a million, billion light yrs. Even the most blundering, incompetent lawyer on the planet would not advise the McCanns to subject themselves to cross examination, not even to a Blue Peter presenter, never mind a criminal trial prosecutor.

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by RIPM on 26.04.14 22:41


Short of them losing what sanity they may have left and actually confessing, I can't foresee any other way that the McCanns could possibly be prosecuted, can you?

If you cannot reach the main players due to the heavyweight legal protection what do the PJ have to lose by going for the supporting tapas cast?
There is clear evidence two members have committed criminal offences under Portuguese law regarding the alleged 'abduction'

Charge them and see how long the pact of silence lasts !

Is this what Operation Grange fears most?

RIPM

Posts : 106
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by Cristobell on 27.04.14 14:17

@diatribe wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:
  The PJ will have to question the parents at some stage, and how can the McCanns refuse?

Simply by making themselves unavailable, Christobel. Even if they were arrested on Portuguese soil, they would  refuse to subject themselves to further questioning by giving no comment answers.

Unless the PJ can come up with some tangible evidence to support their theories, the McCanns will never be prosecuted. They most certainly are not going to assist in their own downfall by the further answering of police questions. The only tangible evidence that I can envisage ever becoming available is the discovery of Madeleine's body close to the proximity of where they were staying. It may not yield any forensic evidence due to the passing of time, but were it to be discovered in the close proximity of their apt. it would add weight to a circumstantial case being formulated against them.

Short of them losing what sanity they may have left and actually confessing, I can't foresee any other way that the McCanns could possibly be prosecuted, can you?
I see the dilemma Diatribe, and in actual fact it reminds me of one of my dismal attempts to pass the driving test.  In learning the Highway Code I hadn't read the entire section on yellow box junctions, therefore the only part stuck in my brain was 'do not enter the marked area'.  The examiner made several attempts at rephrasing the question, until eventually, trying not to laugh, he said 'what are you going to do, turn around and go back'.  I failed the test.

This I think, is the juncture the McCann case has reached.  Both investigations will have to interview the parents and the friends who were with them. It could be of course, that SY are collating the statements of the British, and asking questions on behalf of the PJ.  There may be much closer collaboration than we are led to believe.

My feeling is that the Portuguese AG had/have enough evidence to pursue the case without the co-operation of the main protagonists.  The case was shelved, as we know, because it simply couldn't go any further without the parents and the friends returning to Portugal for the reconstruction. That situation hadn't changed when they made their own Crimewatch reconstruction in November 2013, complete with actors and rather more wine on the table than the British version. I didn't get a sense of co-operation from the parents with the Portuguese reconstruction*.    

I don't really see how the McCanns can refuse to co-operate, and if they do, how it could go unreported?  This case can't be hidden away under some 30 year law, questions will be asked, and we can only hope that at least one of the 650 members of parliament will have the guts to ask wtf Operation Grange is all about, before they pour a few more million into it.  

In my opinion, the McCanns are between the devil and the deep blue sea. They asked for the case to be re-opened, they can't now say they didn't mean it.  No-one will take innocence from their silence, and the populations of two countries, or at least some of them, will be outraged that two roughie toughie police forces have accepted 'no' for an answer and filed the case away again, until the next time a few of them could do with a break in the sun. 

The McCanns are still flogging the idea that Madeline is alive, reinforced by their not wanting to register her death.  From a marketing perspective keeping her alive is a good ploy, and somewhere in the wider agenda there is probably a star studded fund raiser planned for her 21st.  Scotland Yard clearly don't believe she is alive, they are using the iconic toddler picture in the background, not the hmmm, publicly funded, age progression one they started out with.  DCI Redwood has mentioned death, and not alive means dead, no matter how you try to interpret it, suggests to me that the police and the parents are at odds and this would not tally with a whitewash, there is no rationale to it.  They can only achieve a cover up if they are all in it together, cover ups can't have warring factions. 

In giving further statements to the police, all the witnesses must be tied up in knots.  They couldn't get their statements right the first time round when their memories were fresh, and their last attempt, the 'rogatories' opened up all sorts of new anomalies that dug the hole even deeper.  They must all be in a permanent state of high anxiety waiting for that knock on the door.  The catholic ones especially who might be facing retribution in this life rather than the next one.      





*If anyone can remember where discussion of Portuguese reconstructions is, it would be much appreciated  smilie

Cristobell

Posts : 2436
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 27.04.14 14:56

@Cristobell wrote:




This I think, is the juncture the McCann case has reached.  Both investigations will have to interview the parents and the friends who were with them. It could be of course, that SY are collating the statements of the British, and asking questions on behalf of the PJ.  There may be much closer collaboration than we are led to believe.

Unfortunately, Christobel, the British police could only interview them on a voluntary basis where the only questions permitted would be predetermined and answered by their lawyers. It would provide no probative value whatsoever, anymore than their chat show appearances.


My feeling is that the Portuguese AG had/have enough evidence to pursue the case without the co-operation of the main protagonists.  The case was shelved, as we know, because it simply couldn't go any further without the parents and the friends returning to Portugal for the reconstruction. 

I think the case was probably shelved due to lack of evidence and the inability to further investigate the McCanns et cie after they had departed Portugal. I also believe that if the PJ had developed further tangible evidence against the McCanns, they would have issued European Arrest Warrants long ago.  
 

In giving further statements to the police, all the witnesses must be tied up in knots.  They couldn't get their statements right the first time round when their memories were fresh, and their last attempt, 

 That is precisely the reason that neither the McCanns or their friends will subject themselves to further questioning. Although the Fund and their image may be high on their list of priorities, their main objective will always be their lberty.  They've learnt a bit since 2007, 'Once bitten, twice shy.'





diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by Cristobell on 27.04.14 17:29

@diatribe wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:




This I think, is the juncture the McCann case has reached.  Both investigations will have to interview the parents and the friends who were with them. It could be of course, that SY are collating the statements of the British, and asking questions on behalf of the PJ.  There may be much closer collaboration than we are led to believe.

Unfortunately, Christobel, the British police could only interview them on a voluntary basis where the only questions permitted would be predetermined and answered by their lawyers. It would provide no probative value whatsoever, anymore than their chat show appearances.


My feeling is that the Portuguese AG had/have enough evidence to pursue the case without the co-operation of the main protagonists.  The case was shelved, as we know, because it simply couldn't go any further without the parents and the friends returning to Portugal for the reconstruction. 

I think the case was probably shelved due to lack of evidence and the inability to further investigate the McCanns et cie after they had departed Portugal. I also believe that if the PJ had developed further tangible evidence against the McCanns, they would have issued European Arrest Warrants long ago.  
 

In giving further statements to the police, all the witnesses must be tied up in knots.  They couldn't get their statements right the first time round when their memories were fresh, and their last attempt, 

 That is precisely the reason that neither the McCanns or their friends will subject themselves to further questioning. Although the Fund and their image may be high on their list of priorities, their main objective will always be their lberty.  They've learnt a bit since 2007, 'Once bitten, twice shy.'




If defendants could avoid prosecution simply by refusing to answer questions, no crimes would ever be solved.  Both forces, imo, are building cases that will be watertight, as there are not likely to be any confessions here.

Cristobell

Posts : 2436
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by PeterMac on 27.04.14 17:33

@diatribe wrote:
I also believe that if the PJ had developed further tangible evidence against the McCanns, they would have issued European Arrest Warrants long ago.  

I don't quite agree.
They may well have a lot of further evidence, indeed we know they do, for several people have been providing their own insights and analyses for some time,
but for an EAW they would need sufficient to "Charge on a denial"
They know know that the McCanns will never tell the truth - they never have, and are unlikely to start now - or indeed answer any questions at all
That is their legal right both under English and Portuguese law and no half-decent (using the term in its legal not its moral sense) lawyer would ever let them speak
either to a police officer or to a court.

But slowly, very slowly, cases get built upon, forensic science develops, DNA technology is streets ahead of what it was 7 years ago
and as someone once said "Loyalties change over time."
Would lack of promotion for the Tapas 7 as they are for all time associated with the Lies which have been told,
and the fact that their own gibbering incoherence in the Rogatories is there for the world, including interview panels, to see
be sufficient for just one of them to try to set the record straight.
Even anonymously.
To Crimewatch
Or Grange
Or a Daily paper for lots of money ? ? ?

____________________

avatar
PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 157
Join date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 27.04.14 18:18

@PeterMac wrote:



and as someone once said "Loyalties change over time."

That was me, Peter, although others have probably also stated it.



Would lack of promotion for the Tapas 7  as they are for all time associated with the Lies which have been told,
and the fact that their own gibbering incoherence in the Rogatories is there for the world, including interview panels,  to see
be sufficient for just one of them to try to set the record straight.
Even anonymously.
To Crimewatch
Or Grange
Or a Daily paper for lots of money ? ? ?

I don't know your opinion regarding the amount of involvement the McCann's friends did or did not have in the disappearance of their daughter, but rightly or wrongly, it is my belief that their knowledge is limited to a need to know basis. I'm not persuaded that they do in fact have the goods on the McCanns, my reasons being amongst others, Gerry's confidence that his daughter's body will never be found, the amount of money available for information , the immunity from prosecution deals that would undoubtably be on offer and the lack of appliable pressure available to exert on others due to spartan evidence.

You're correct with your assertion regarding the advancement in forensic science, this being the key to most cold cases being resolved, but in this instance there doesn't appear to be much evidence available, at least not from the apt. where the original scenes of crime team weren't even able to establish that Madeleine had ever been there. I do however share your sentiments that if any progress is to be made, it will come from our european counterparts in Portugal, as opposed to the efforts of Scotland Yard who appear to all intent and purpose to be conducting a high level campaign to exonerate the McCanns from any culpability vis a vis the disappearance of their daughter. At least in my lifetime, I can't recollect any police force ever focusing on suspects other than the obvious ones, they're usually trying to make the evidence fit the suspect, rather than t'other way round. :)

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 27.04.14 18:36

@Cristobell wrote:




 If defendants could avoid prosecution simply by refusing to answer questions, no crimes would ever be solved.  
You're being a tad naughty here, Cristobel, :) What I stated was that in the absence of any tangible evidence, defendants can avoid prosecution by exercising their right to remain silent. No competent lawyer would ever advise their client to give advance warning of their defence strategy.

When did you last hear a high ranking police officer offer a comment other than 'I am unable to comment on matters that are sub judice.'  :)

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by Guest on 27.04.14 19:21

You dear Ninny: whenever AR/SY opened his mouth :)
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by XTC on 27.04.14 23:02

@Portia wrote:You dear Ninny: whenever AR/SY opened his mouth :)
Well DI Redwood reminds me of the Big Bad Wolf who is warning all the alleged perpetrators of this heinous crime that he is coming to get them. The saying that the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise is true I think in this instance. Meanwhile my hope stands by the latest
PJ team who appear to be on a completely divergent path in terms dead or alive as they are investigating death and possibly murder.

The latest Mitchell article talks of Madelein'e s parents of not thinking about petitoning for  death Certificate as 7 years has elapsed as SY are doing a great job. From where I'm standing and reading the runes either way ,I would not be confident that Madeleine will be found.

I'm reserving my opinion until after May the 3rd as to what may happen next and this involves the limitations on certain types of crimes in
EU countries. Some are unprosecutable beyond a certain period I hear so as I'm not an expert I can only speculate but murder is not one of them and the PJ are in charge of any evidence gathering for a potential prosecution on that charge. Therefore for myself it is an even money chance which way the investigations can proceed. Maybe the Libel Trial might be sorted out after then also? We shall all have to wait and see.

XTC

Posts : 210
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-03-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by Guest on 28.04.14 0:38

Not sure what the correct phrase is but it's always seemed to me that the Portugese and the English need a phrase/judgement akin to the Scottish 'not proven'. Much as I hope for more, given the reliance on circumstatial evidence, it might be the best we could hope for. Unfortunately it's not possible in the key players legal systems unless anyone knows otherwise?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by PeterMac on 28.04.14 7:39

chilli wrote:Not sure what the correct phrase is but it's always seemed to me that the Portugese and the English need a phrase/judgement akin to the Scottish 'not proven'. Much as I hope for more, given the reliance on circumstatial evidence, it might be the best we could hope for. Unfortunately it's not possible in the key players legal systems unless anyone knows otherwise?

Interesting that in English law there is now, for serious offences, the possibility of bringing a person to trial for a second time (cf. Lawrence)
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/retrial_of_serious_offences/
Part 10 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 (the 2003 Act) reforms the law relating to double jeopardy, by permitting retrials in respect of a number of very serious offences, where new and compelling evidence has come to light. Previously, the law did not permit a person who has been acquitted or convicted of an offence to be retried for that same offence.

There are two principles arising from the common law which prevent this. The first is known as autrefois acquit and autrefois convict. These principles provide a bar to a trial, in respect of the same offence, of a person who has previously been either acquitted or convicted of that offence. The second arose where the courts considered it an abuse of process for additional charges to be brought, following an acquittal or conviction, for different offences which arose from the same behaviour or facts (there were exceptions to this rule).

The law has been reformed to permit a retrial in cases of serious offences where there has been an acquittal in court, but compelling new evidence has subsequently come to light which indicates that an acquitted person was in fact guilty. Examples of new evidence might include DNA or fingerprint tests, or new witnesses to the offence coming forward.

Which is another way of saying that an acquittal can be the equivalent of 'Not Proven".

____________________

avatar
PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 157
Join date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by AndyB on 28.04.14 8:14

@XTC wrote:Meanwhile my hope stands by the latest PJ team who appear to be on a completely divergent path in terms dead or alive as they are investigating death and possibly murder.
What makes you say that? I haven't got a clue what the PJ are up to beyond following a different line of enquiry to the Met. Given that the Met can claim jurisdiction in murder cases, isn't it more likely that they are investigating murder whereas the PJ are investigating something else?

AndyB

Posts : 692
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-06-03
Age : 53
Location : Consett, County Durham

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by plebgate on 28.04.14 8:58

@diatribe wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:




 If defendants could avoid prosecution simply by refusing to answer questions, no crimes would ever be solved.  
You're being a tad naughty here, Cristobel, :) What I stated was that in the absence of any tangible evidence, defendants can avoid prosecution by exercising their right to remain silent. No competent lawyer would ever advise their client to give advance warning of their defence strategy.

When did you last hear a high ranking police officer offer a comment other than 'I am unable to comment on matters that are sub judice.'  :)
Re. getting the lot of them into a witness box.    I think I am  missing something.

My understanding is that if a crime is committed then the person/s  reporting the crime must go to court and swear under oath what they found and what happened thereafter.  They would also be asked how the apartment was left before they went out?

If these people refuse to enter a witness box to be questioned by the prosecution and the defence then how could a criminal case ever be brought against anyone?

Imagine Judge Judy if someone went before her and refused to say why they had brought a defendant to court.   She would say straight away that they had no case and to stop wasting her time and tell the defendant there was no case to answer.

Maybe someone with real knowledge of how the court system works could enlighten me?

plebgate

Posts : 5947
Reputation : 1637
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by aquila on 28.04.14 9:11

Tony Bennett questioned Martorell (the McCanns' legal representative) in the witness box during his contempt of court trial. Martorell had to admit that she was told there was an abduction by her clients. Martorell also admitted she hadn't read Kate's book.

Now imagine in a libel trial brought about by the McCanns that the defendants request the presence of either the McCanns, their witnesses or their own legal counsel to be present in the dock for questioning. I'm not sure of course if this could happen and it's the lack of knowledge in Portuguese law that foils us.

If you take as an example the dreadful case of Nigella Lawson, who was appearing in court for something entirely different and forced to admit she'd taken drugs then it's a yardstick to highlight what a big risk it is for anyone in the Madeleine case to appear in the dock.

The libel trial seems to be a dead duck.
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8308
Reputation : 1491
Join date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 28.04.14 12:25

@plebgate wrote:





Re. getting the lot of them into a witness box.    I think I am  missing something.


I have had no experience with the Portuguese justice system, but am assuming that apart from variations as to how it is enacted, that it works on the principle of an accused person being presumed innocent until proven guilty.



My understanding is that if a crime is committed then the person/s  reporting the crime must go to court and swear under oath what they found and what happened thereafter.  They would also be asked how the apartment was left before they went out?

In the UK, if a person makes a witness statement and signs it,  they are obligated to attend any subsequent court hearings to give evidence if required. Witness statements include at the bottom a rider stating that this is what the witness is agreeing to. If they do not attend when summoned, they can be subpeoned to do so and arrested if they fail to comply. They can then be charged with being in Contempt of Court.



If these people refuse to enter a witness box to be questioned by the prosecution and the defence then how could a criminal case ever be brought against anyone?

It would be difficult for the prosecution if their case was based mainly upon civilian witness evidence. Some prosecutions are predominantly based upon police and forensic evidence, thereby rendering civilian witnesses to the role of makeweights where their evidence isn't contested and can be agreed to be read as opposed to given under oath. Hence the need for a witness to sign that they are prepared to attend court and give evidence if required

Imagine Judge Judy if someone went before her and refused to say why they had brought a defendant to court.   She would say straight away that they had no case and to stop wasting her time and tell the defendant there was no case to answer.

I don't know who Judge Judy is, is she a Resident judge, Circuit judge, Appeal Court judge ??? I'm presuming you are referring to civil litigation here, because in the case of criminal  indictments, it is the Crown who instigate proceedings, not the offended party, unless of course in the case of a private prosecution ie, the first Stephen Lawrence murder trial.,

Maybe someone with real knowledge of how the court system works could enlighten me?

Maybe they could, but I think you are getting confused between witnesses and accused persons.

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by plebgate on 28.04.14 15:15

You're right Diatribe I am confused as, if ANYMAN is ever caught and brought to trial, I cannot see how those reporting the crime cannot be put into the witness box and asked questions.    Without  testimony under oath, how can anyone know for certain that a crime has been committed?  Why would the Tapas Crew NOT want to give evidence at a trial of a man who is alleged to have stolen  a child from their holiday group?

Nah can't believe that they would refuse to go into a witness box and try and get justice for Maddie at any trial.

plebgate

Posts : 5947
Reputation : 1637
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 28.04.14 18:00

@plebgate wrote:You're right Diatribe I am confused as, if ANYMAN is ever caught and brought to trial, I cannot see how those reporting the crime cannot be put into the witness box and asked questions.    Without  testimony under oath, how can anyone know for certain that a crime has been committed?  Why would the Tapas Crew NOT want to give evidence at a trial of a man who is alleged to have stolen  a child from their holiday group?

Nah can't believe that they would refuse to go into a witness box and try and get justice for Maddie at any trial.

Don't worry about it, Pleb, it can be confusing. I think maybe I should open a new thread regarding this matter, because it is closely linked with the reason why the media and NSY are confined to producing fictitious suspects.

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by plebgate on 28.04.14 19:44

@diatribe wrote:
@plebgate wrote:You're right Diatribe I am confused as, if ANYMAN is ever caught and brought to trial, I cannot see how those reporting the crime cannot be put into the witness box and asked questions.    Without  testimony under oath, how can anyone know for certain that a crime has been committed?  Why would the Tapas Crew NOT want to give evidence at a trial of a man who is alleged to have stolen  a child from their holiday group?

Nah can't believe that they would refuse to go into a witness box and try and get justice for Maddie at any trial.

Don't worry about it, Pleb, it can be confusing. I think maybe I should open a new thread regarding this matter, because it is closely linked with the reason why the media and NSY are confined to producing fictitious suspects.
I am not worried diatribe,  but I know people who reported a crime and they had to go to court and state what had happened, when etc. etc.  and they were questioned by prosecution and defence lawyers.

plebgate

Posts : 5947
Reputation : 1637
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by diatribe on 28.04.14 20:50

I'm sure they did, Pleb, but they were witnesses, not accused persons. For the McCanns to become witnesses at a trial involving the disappearance of their daughter, the police first have to find a person or persons to charge with the aforementioned and where do you think they'll manage to conjure them up from? Tales from the crypt, perhaps.

diatribe

Posts : 602
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-15
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie anniversary brings shock new revelations

Post by plebgate on 28.04.14 20:52

That's exactly what I have been saying, I think ANYMan covers it in my post.  At least you seem to agree now that there is a scenario where the Tapas Crew could be called as witnesses diatribe.

plebgate

Posts : 5947
Reputation : 1637
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum