The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

The blundering Chief Constable of Greater Manchester: "Being harassed on Facebook? OUR ADVICE: Close your Facebook account"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The blundering Chief Constable of Greater Manchester: "Being harassed on Facebook? OUR ADVICE: Close your Facebook account"

Post by Tony Bennett on 08.02.14 20:51

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/salford-greater-manchester-police-apologise-6686773

Police have been forced to apologise after sparking outrage over cyber bullying...on Twitter.

A tweet appeared on GMP’s Salford Central feed on the social networking site yesterday saying:

“POLICE NOTICE. “If you are being ‘Harassed’ on Facebook please follow these instructions: 1. Close your facebook account.”

The post was retweeted more than 2,000 times including by the MP Stella Creasy and the comedian Al Murray.

Murray, famous for his character the Pub Landlord said: “That @GMPSalfordCen tweet about Facebook sums it all up perfectly. Genius.”

However it was slammed by dozens of people who said it appeared to blame victims for the online abuse they are subjected to.

Chery Lawley said: “Yep, blame the victim, not the perpetrator. Thank you, keepers of the law!”

‘Leftie Lib’ posted: “...bit like saying if you don’t want to get attacked don’t walk down a street at night

Chris S said: “...everyone has the right to a little respect though. Getting run out of social media due to harassment isn’t really on?”

The GMP tweet was later deleted with officers adding another post saying: "Apologies for our earlier tweet. Bullying and harassment is, of course, serious” adding a link to a page offering advice to cyber bullying victims on GMP’s website.

Police now say the officers responsible for the tweet have been spoken to* and advised about the force’s social media policy.

A GMP spokesman said: “The officers who posted this have been spoken to and advised and as soon as we were made aware the correct advice regarding online safety and cyber bullying was put on the social media accounts.

“GMP takes all reports of online bullying and harassment extremely seriously and all such matters are thoroughly investigated.”

Last month officers in neighbouring Salford West caused a storm after asking people to ‘brag and rub our noses in it if you have used drugs and haven’t been caught’ which was retweeted more than 500 times.

It is believed the words of advice might have gone something like this: "You blithering idiots! Have you nothng better to do than sit on your computer all day long tweeting?!" 

It is

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The blundering Chief Constable of Greater Manchester: "Being harassed on Facebook? OUR ADVICE: Close your Facebook account"

Post by littlepixie on 14.02.14 18:34

From what I can gather its common practice for Police Officers to tell people to close their Facebook account or stay off twitter if it offends or upsets them.
I don't know why people don't just block or delete people who upset them rather than ringing the Police.
littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The blundering Chief Constable of Greater Manchester: "Being harassed on Facebook? OUR ADVICE: Close your Facebook account"

Post by travesty on 15.02.14 0:02

I have never been harassed on FB or twitter before but about 2 years ago, I closed down my facebook account. One of the best decisions I made, now I get a part of my life back. There was life before FB came along you know!
travesty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15.02.14 10:09

I have to admit that Facebook is one of those things that I wonder what I ever did without!

It's great finding groups which deal with specific areas of interest - help groups for medical issues are particularly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum