The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Immunity from prosecution and anonymity in exchange for the truth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Immunity from prosecution and anonymity in exchange for the truth

Post by Wednesday01 on 29.10.13 18:12

Hi all 

I’m a newbie on here so can I offer my apologies in advance if this subject has been covered previously. 

For what it’s worth I believe Madeleine died in the apartment and her body was taken out to sea for disposal of, but this isn’t the point of this thread as it could be applied to whatever scenario the truth may be.

I genuinely believe (but hope I’m wrong) that we’ll never find out the truth about what happened unless the radical step of offering immunity from prosecution and anonymity to anyone that knows the truth is taken.

If she died in the apartment then there are people who helped them dispose of the body (and possibly covered for them) who may well come forward if the fear of recrimination is removed.

Likewise if she was abducted then there must be another person on the periphery of things that would come forward if their safety could be guaranteed.

I was brought up in Belfast and I know the controversy the release of prisoners caused so there are precedents for this and I’d argue that Northern Ireland is a better place for this decision.

If nothing is done we run the risk of never getting to know the truth (not to mention the financial costs involved) and I’m sure none of this wish for that result.

Personally I think if we offered this immunity and anonymity, one of the people in the restaurant would crack and the truth would come out and justice served.

It could also be problematic if the parents (or abductor) came forward, so perhaps we need it worded so that it needed to lead to the conviction of those responsible.

I’d like to gauge the opinion of others on this, would you welcome this idea or would you rather wait in the hope that full justice is served, or perhaps you could expand on how this could work.

Thanks for reading.

Wednesday01

Back to top Go down

Re: Immunity from prosecution and anonymity in exchange for the truth

Post by ultimaThule on 29.10.13 18:59

Personally I think if we offered this immunity and anonymity, one of the people in the restaurant would crack and the truth would come out and justice served.

It could also be problematic if the parents (or abductor) came forward, so perhaps we need it worded so that it needed to lead to the conviction of those responsible.

The fact is it's not up to us to offer deals and, as yet, we do not know whether Portugal or the UK will have jurisidiction if sufficient evidence is found to bring those responsible for Madeleine McCann's disappearance to account in a court of law.  

In any event, I suspect these matters have been discussed by those who have the power to offer lesser charges/lighter sentences in return for information but, at this late date, I am of the opinion that no-one who knew at the time, or was made aware after, who caused this child to disappear should escape prosecution.
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Re: Immunity from prosecution and anonymity in exchange for the truth

Post by thetruthbeknown on 29.10.13 19:43

I dont think its unheard of. Im not sure how often it would be used in the UK. I think its used a fair bit for organised crime gangs etc. For serious cases it would probably be restricted to more of leniency in sentence rather then immunity from prosecution.

thetruthbeknown

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum