The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Katie Hopkins

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by plebgate on 29.10.13 13:55

@Aoife wrote:
@plebgate wrote:Maybe she thinks that funds could be running low and maybe she thinks that if she stands her ground against any libel threat, she might get an offer to settle out of court, maybe?

Maybe when the verdict on Mr. A's action is known, there will not be any other libel threats?
Libel in Portugal is different to libel in England. All Sally Bercow posted was a simple rhetorical question that only hinted at wrong doing and it has cost her £15,000.The McCanns have only acted on libel against people with standing and traction on the matter. SOmeone like Katie Hopkins might make a tempting target to reinforce their campaign that they are innocent.
My last post as this has been discussed before, libel proceedings in UK.   Yes they are totally different to Portugal.   The plaintiff in Uk would be expected to go in a witness box and back up any claims of libel they make.    I believe that if they did not then the judge would look unfavourably upon it.  Once in a witness box then any question is permitted I believe.

So yeah but no but yeah, lol, threatening to sue and actually doing it in UK are two totally different things I believe.   Only takes one to stand their ground and it would be interesting to see what happens. laughat

Anyway, Katie Hopkins has said she looks forward to be Carter Frucked.   She is saying bring it on, let's see if they do?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aoife on 29.10.13 16:29

@tasprin wrote:KH has simply commented on The Sunday Times article, she's made no accusations that I can see - so how can her tweets amount to libel?
Sally Bercow did even less! Cost her £15,000 plus legal costs of about £50,000!

Commenting on an article may amount to libel.

Aoife

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aoife on 29.10.13 16:33

@plebgate wrote:
@Aoife wrote:
@plebgate wrote:Maybe she thinks that funds could be running low and maybe she thinks that if she stands her ground against any libel threat, she might get an offer to settle out of court, maybe?

Maybe when the verdict on Mr. A's action is known, there will not be any other libel threats?
Libel in Portugal is different to libel in England. All Sally Bercow posted was a simple rhetorical question that only hinted at wrong doing and it has cost her £15,000.The McCanns have only acted on libel against people with standing and traction on the matter. SOmeone like Katie Hopkins might make a tempting target to reinforce their campaign that they are innocent.
My last post as this has been discussed before, libel proceedings in UK.   Yes they are totally different to Portugal.   The plaintiff in Uk would be expected to go in a witness box and back up any claims of libel they make.    I believe that if they did not then the judge would look unfavourably upon it.  Once in a witness box then any question is permitted I believe.

So yeah but no but yeah, lol, threatening to sue and actually doing it in UK are two totally different things I believe.   Only takes one to stand their ground and it would be interesting to see what happens. laughat

Anyway, Katie Hopkins has said she looks forward to be Carter Frucked.   She is saying bring it on, let's see if they do?
That is not the case. The claimant does not need to go into the witness box at all. At the start of the trial it is assumed that the subject matter was libellous and the only testimony is from from the respondent as it is their responsibility to show that it was not libellous. The respondent cannot 'stand their ground', they must actively disprove that the complained of communication was legal.

Aoife

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nomendelta on 29.10.13 16:54

@Aoife wrote:
@tasprin wrote:KH has simply commented on The Sunday Times article, she's made no accusations that I can see - so how can her tweets amount to libel?

Bercow hinted very strongly that MacAlpine was the paedo MP everyone was talking about. That's a whole lot different from commenting on a news report - especially one that has not been refuted.

That said, everyone folded to MacAlpine pretty quickly it seems to me. The stuff about being able to see his name on the list Schofield produced on "This Morning" resulted in a payout from ITV IIRC. It strikes me as rather odd but then I'm like that.

nomendelta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aoife on 29.10.13 17:01

@nomendelta wrote:
@Aoife wrote:

Bercow hinted very strongly that MacAlpine was the paedo MP everyone was talking about. That's a whole lot different from commenting on a news report - especially one that has not been refuted.

That said, everyone folded to MacAlpine pretty quickly it seems to me. The stuff about being able to see his name on the list Schofield produced on "This Morning" resulted in a payout from ITV IIRC. It strikes me as rather odd but then I'm like that.
The exact words she used were 'Why is Lord McAlpine trending' followed by a smiley. If that is enough to result in a libel judgement, then even the gentlest suggestion about the McCanns being involved in harming Madeleine would be actionable. I do not support this, but it is the case.

Aoife

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bristow on 29.10.13 17:25

She twittered a link to this forum earlier. big grin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29.10.13 17:31

@bristow wrote:She twittered a link to this forum earlier. big grin
You are right just seen It

Katie Hopkins@KTHopkins 6h
Amaral talks about how the McCanns have affected his family life. McCanns want £1 million from him: https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t8350-gente-magazine-21-to-27-10-2013-page-42-to-page-45-interview-with-goncalo-amaral …

She has 67,447 followers!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 29.10.13 17:34

Best prepare for a rush then Candyfloss Mrs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfessorPPlum on 29.10.13 17:39

Her tweets have also met with some of the most most ferocious and misogynistic attacks I've seen on Twitter - lots of hateful young men wishing violence / sexual violence on her for speaking out. It's pretty depressing but Twitter, as any Twitter user will know, is full of such angry young men and women.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 29.10.13 17:41

@ProfessorPPlum wrote:Her tweets have also met with some of the most most ferocious and misogynistic attacks I've seen on Twitter - lots of hateful young men wishing violence / sexual violence on her for speaking out. It's pretty depressing but Twitter, as any Twitter user will know, is full of such angry young men and women.
And not all of them young ProfessorPPlum.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 29.10.13 17:48

@ProfessorPPlum wrote:Her tweets have also met with some of the most most ferocious and misogynistic attacks I've seen on Twitter - lots of hateful young men wishing violence / sexual violence on her for speaking out. It's pretty depressing but Twitter, as any Twitter user will know, is full of such angry young men and women.
She should complain to the police immediately.

Incredible that a woman should be subjected to that sort of tweet for saying what she thinks.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rooster on 29.10.13 17:54

I emailed Katie and she very kindly replied earlier today. She's well up to the task and is preparing for action.
Well done Katie you have lots of support.

The Rooster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 29.10.13 18:15

@Aoife wrote:
@nomendelta wrote:
@Aoife wrote:

The exact words she used were 'Why is Lord McAlpine trending' followed by a smiley. If that is enough to result in a libel judgement, then even the gentlest suggestion about the McCanns being involved in harming Madeleine would be actionable. I do not support this, but it is the case.
Not just any smiley - an innocent faced smiley, and that made all the difference.

Being the jaded old cynic I am though, I can't help but think the Bercow/McAlpine saga was a set-up from the start. Just my opinion of course.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 29.10.13 18:20

Good to hear that news Rooster.

yes well done Katie lots of support.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayniia on 29.10.13 18:24

Being a foreigner ( not British ) I don't know who Katie is. But she sure has balls by standing up and going "public " with her outrage. It was time that someone "famous " especially in Britain would talk and show the true colors of the Mccanns. She was also very nice with her reply to ( sorry if it's not the same person on twitter and here,I don't use twitter ) Karen Pinto, who pointed out that people had for years said the same things she's saying now.
The word is surely spreading and it doesn't look like for the Mccanns at all. Too many things happening these days, for Madeleine, so that justice can be done. So thank you Katie!!!

"My advice to any British tourist ,please come to Portugal,please come to the Algarve but if you're coming as a family holiday treat it as a family holiday and do things together, don't leave the kids"
Words from an ExPat Algarve resident
Ayniia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rooster on 29.10.13 18:28

Anyiia, Ms Hopkins has balls of steel.

The Rooster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 29.10.13 18:34

@plebgate wrote:
She should complain to the police immediately.

Incredible that a woman should be subjected to that sort of tweet for saying what she thinks.
IMO she should expect some abuse back after some of the things she says which are heard by millions (I agree with a lot she says but am too much of a coward to be that outspoken).  I`m sure there are thousands of well educated, decent people called Tyler or Charmaine, yet she says she makes an instant judgement on the type of people they must be and wouldn`t let her kids mix with them.

OK she`s spreading the word - but remember, that with it goes her reputation.

I`m thinking of changing my name to Charmaine  beware

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 29.10.13 18:37

Yes she might well expect some verbal about her thoughts about certain "types" of people but to threaten violence and sexual violence is a criminal offence and should not be tolerated.

Remember when we heard that the police had been sent to the lady on twitter/facebook who had jokingly said about a starter gun during the marathon.

Katie should, imo, not tolerate that sort of threatening behaviour.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa on 29.10.13 18:40

@The Rooster wrote:Anyiia, Ms Hopkins has balls of steel.
big grin 

She does have the guts to say those politically incorrect things you hear at the water-cooler/school gate.
(I had never heard of her till yesterday - now feel like I know her intimately Mr )

I see her as the female equivalent of Jeremy Clarkson.

If she gets this thing out there - good on her!!! I really hope she sees it as an opportunity to up her exposure! I'd see that as win-win - for years we ( kinda speaking here for fellow ex-mirror/ex3A alumni) have been hoping for someone like her to get it out there - so loudly it can't be ignored..

Praiaaa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby Peru on 29.10.13 18:43

I generally balk at Katie Hopkins' opinions and am somewhat loathed to reference her Twitter comments here; however, I think it's worth noting that, in general, she harbours a similar range of opinions to the type of demographic that buys into the Daily Mail. If she is representative of many of those types  who were also previously unquestioning, indifferent, or accepted TM's spin, then the tide of public opinion is surely turning. And newspapers always try to reflect the zeitgeist among their readership.

Bobby Peru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 29.10.13 18:47

@Daisy wrote:
@Aoife wrote:
@nomendelta wrote:
@Aoife wrote:

Not just any smiley - an innocent faced smiley, and that made all the difference.

Being the jaded old cynic I am though, I can't help but think the Bercow/McAlpine saga was a set-up from the start. Just my opinion of course.
I agree Daisy. The McAlpine case is completely different.
The Sunday Times revealed that the e-fits were five years old, and that Team McCann had used legal threats to suppress them, even though, in 2008, their private investigators recommended they be made public immediately. The e-fits are now part of a very expensive official police investigation and their origin is definitely in the public interest. Team McCann have not denied they withheld the e-fits but excused their actions by claiming it would've been too expensive to investigate the sighting wft Scotland Yard have not issued a denial either. So, the story stands and it is perfectly legitimate to discuss it. That's all Katie Hopkins is doing, and it's not libel.

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 29.10.13 18:57

Whenever something is being discussed which makes some people apparently feel uncomfortable, we always get the old libel "warnings".

Google and there are celebs who have threatened to sue and indeed have done so in UK, and come a cropper merely because upon cross examination/evidence produced that they would never have thought about - has been brought into the action.

Threats are one thing, going into court and being cross examined is another.

Even if the plaintiff does win, there is no guarantee that their costs will be paid in full, so could be very expensive?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davidslewgoliath on 29.10.13 18:58

Although it is good the word is getting out, I am slightly bothered by the twitter saturation by KH resulting in any future trial being compromised and the MCs claiming they cannot have a fair trial.

davidslewgoliath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 29.10.13 19:02

wouldn't the trial be held in Portugal if there were to be one?

There have been tweets i believe about the Brooks/Coulson trial and that is still going ahead.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by juliet on 29.10.13 19:08

I so admire Katie Hopkins. As she says, enough nods and winks. Let's get to the truth. If others tweet like her it will be a Spartacus thing!
juliet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum