The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Will he or won't he?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will he or won\'t he?

He will attend/testify

He will not attend/testify

View results

Re: Will he or won't he?

Post by sammyc on 30.09.13 21:57

IMO Gerry will attend but not testify.  It's been said many times before that the McCanns'  legal team could be committing professional suicide by letting them take the stand.
GA and his team are not afraid of the McCanns as this libel suit wouldn't have got this far if that was the case.  The McCanns can and have been loose cannons for the past 6 years so to be asked unexpected questions under oath in a tense Courtroom with everybody scrutinising their words and body language, and nobody to guide them along or speak for them tells me they will not utter a single word in Court.
sammyc

Back to top Go down

No Vote

Post by Pyewacket on 30.09.13 22:25

I voted No, based on his appearance on the Courts steps when being questioned by the Portuguese reporter. When asked; what he was going to say, didn't ID say "Nothing". I suppose it depends whether he has made a formal application to appear and already submitted his testimony to the Defence. If so, then he has painted himself into a corner, and a no show will do even more damage to his credibility. If he does show, and is allowed to testify, then he is in for a shock. As the other witnesses for TM have seen, Court is nothing like a "soft" media interview, with plenty of support and prompting. You are up there, in the dock on your own. It can be a very lonely and intimidating place to be. Especially, if he is trying to blag it with all those erms and ahhhs !
Pyewacket

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 30.09.13 22:57

Far too much at stake.  I vote a resounding No.

pennylane

Back to top Go down

Post by Nereid on 30.09.13 23:00

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he'll testify.
When ID applied for him to become a witness, they fully expected it to be rejected because of the short notice. He was shaken as they had not counted on Court being adjourned through force majeure and thus giving the defence a chance to decide on allowing GM as a witness, which I'm sure they will.

He'll probably miss his plane because the twins were sick and he had to change their clothes and sheets, and bath them, just like his good ole mate Russell.

Nereid

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 30.09.13 23:11

I've also voted No, Pyewacket, for similar reasons.
Basically he has behaved throughout like a bully.
Bullies, when taken on by an equal or bigger person, become cowards and run.
Already, on the steps he looked caught off balance.
His chosen witnesses so far, have given him a shafting rather than support.
I am certain he will find some excuse, a whingeing, lame excuse, that will be putting the blame squarely onto someone else, because this is what whining little cowards do.
He won't miss a chance to take a swipe at the 'big guys who have, intellectually and strategically up-staged him' so Portugal and all things Portuguese will be demonised.
He made his majestic appearance on the steps as the big macho man, believing he would safely NOT be allowed to testify, and was already making it the fault of the Portuguese.
But, whether Goncalo's lawyer's son needed him in hospital or not, (and I do hope he is well) the very convenient delay (the Portuguese have so assiduously got the measure of G McCann) has now completely f****d Gerry's posturing and called his bluff.
He appeared in Portugal, to make a big show, to save the disastrous day, and then, even though he 'had control of the press situation', he cr****d his lines up.
He's definitely lost it, the games up, and he knows it. He's discovered he can't even trust himself anymore.

bobbin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30.09.13 23:11

IF he's allowed to attend and speak [and I wouldn't know why not ... as he seems to have fallen into his own hole], I think he won't stop digging, yet come and testify, bluffing his way through as he's done so far for 6 years. All IMO,of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 30.09.13 23:35

Who gives a Shi tzu?

6 years of not telling the truth isn't going to 'disappear' into thin air in 48hrs.

jeanmonroe

Back to top Go down

Post by roy rovers on 30.09.13 23:47

I think he won't but because GA won't let him. GA has to defend himself. The MC's witnesses have been rubbish so far so leave it at that. GM's final denouement can wait - in fact GA might like to make him wait esp with the verdict in GA's favour.
roy rovers

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyewacket on 30.09.13 23:51

Châtelaine wrote:IF he's allowed to attend and speak [and I wouldn't know why not ... as he seems to have fallen into his own hole], I think he won't stop digging, yet come and testify, bluffing his way through as he's done so far for 6 years. All IMO,of course.
With respect Chatelaine........"Bluffing" is not what he's going to be able to do here. This is not a soft media interview, he will be in Court, under oath and liable to a stringent cross examination.
Pyewacket

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 01.10.13 5:55

To answer the question, he will if the purpose is to accompany his sister to moral support her, else she would be totally alone.

Where going there to speak is concerned (take the stand whatever), he'll have to observe the date (if) given to him.
He can't turn up willy nilly and just bulldoze his way in expecting to speak.  Though he tried, probably on mistaken advice
Everything is Court runs according to a schedule.

Obviously all depends whether Court approves his request, but why not?
Being plaintiff, if he so wishes to give evidence or clarify matters, I fail to see how his right can be stopped, if said right is catered for in the revised Civil Procedure Code.  Needless to say Defense side needs advance notice of this happening  in order to prepare.  
And, far as reported his request was submitted.
Unless some technicalities prevent it or he withdraws I am inclined to think he will be scheduled last.  

Whether he will show up or not is something else.
Or, what consequence/penalty would be if he fails to show up after been scheduled in is something for his lawyer.

I would be very surprised if he takes the stand, as he's opening himself to risk of being exposed and/or perjury.
That said, he's a deviously cunning guy, so who knows how he's going to avoid the pitfall.
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 01.10.13 5:58

@Pyewacket wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:IF he's allowed to attend and speak [and I wouldn't know why not ... as he seems to have fallen into his own hole], I think he won't stop digging, yet come and testify, bluffing his way through as he's done so far for 6 years. All IMO,of course.
With respect Chatelaine........"Bluffing" is not what he's going to be able to do here. This is not a soft media interview, he will be in Court, under oath and liable to a stringent cross examination.
Dont under estimate this Mr. capable to lie.
He's 6 years experience doing it and doesn't look as if he would stop....
Leveson was telecast live, he was under Oath, but that did not stop him from lying. So what's going to change now?
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 01.10.13 8:51

What would Trish say to him this week, if she has any sense?

if you are allowed to give evidence and you don't then NO WAY am I entering the Lion's Den. titter 

plebgate

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 01.10.13 9:13

@bobbin wrote:I've also voted No, Pyewacket, for similar reasons.
Basically he has behaved throughout like a bully.
Bullies, when taken on by an equal or bigger person, become cowards and run.
Already, on the steps he looked caught off balance.
His chosen witnesses so far, have given him a shafting rather than support.
I am certain he will find some excuse, a whingeing, lame excuse, that will be putting the blame squarely onto someone else, because this is what whining little cowards do.
He won't miss a chance to take a swipe at the 'big guys who have, intellectually and strategically up-staged him' so Portugal and all things Portuguese will be demonised.
He made his majestic appearance on the steps as the big macho man, believing he would safely NOT be allowed to testify, and was already making it the fault of the Portuguese.
But, whether Goncalo's lawyer's son needed him in hospital or not, (and I do hope he is well) the very convenient delay (the Portuguese have so assiduously got the measure of G McCann) has now completely f****d Gerry's posturing and called his bluff.
He appeared in Portugal, to make a big show, to save the disastrous day, and then, even though he 'had control of the press situation', he cr****d his lines up.
He's definitely lost it, the games up, and he knows it. He's discovered he can't even trust himself anymore.

I agree with your views bobbin, and I think Gerrycan has f****d up big time!  

I'm sure the lawyer's son being in hospital is100% kosher, and I hope it is not serious, but I wonder whether the lawyer had to attend there and then?  It could be they outsmarted the sleazy McCanns, and beat them at their own game.  That's what I would do in their shoes anyway. roses   

Why I voted No is because I believe Operation Grange is a whitewash, and I don't think Gerry can risk harming its outcome by getting caught up in any form of perjury.  I think he would rather lose face with some lame excuse why he can't testify liar , than risk taking the stand.  Even him being a whopping narcissist isn't enough to convince me he would risk everything at this juncture! nah

pennylane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.10.13 10:27

Looks as though he is going to attend.....

Jerry Lawton@JerryLawton 3m
Gerry #McCann flying to Portugal hoping to give evidence at £1m libel trial of ex-cop who alleged he covered up daughter Madeleine's death

Jerry Lawton@JerryLawton 2m
Also set to give evidence at Lisbon libel trial tomorrow is Kate #McCann mum Susan and Gerry's sister Trish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.10.13 10:52

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 01.10.13 10:56

@admin wrote:
Yes - this is exactly what I thought GA meant when he did the thumbs up - he had got Gerry into the witness box which is what he always wanted.

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 01.10.13 11:19

@Angelique wrote:
@admin wrote:
Yes - this is exactly what I thought GA meant when he did the thumbs up - he had got Gerry into the witness box which is what he always wanted.
but old Gerry is not in the box yet,if he can wriggle out of it he will.
tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 01.10.13 12:00

What an excellent question!

IMO Gerry will most probably turn up at court tomorrow but I can't see that the defence has anything to gain by acceding to his request to take the stand at this late stage simply because the McCanns' witnesses to date have failed to substantiate their case and he wants to attempt to redress the damage. 

Does this mean I should tick half of each box?  Yes, Gerry will turn up tomorrow and No, he won't be testifying tomorrow because the defence is not obliged to let him have his own way.

In addition, it seems the defence doesn't have to reach a decision for 5 days which, as this period of time most probably means 5 working days, means they can determine the merits of granting Gerry's application after the last witness for the McCanns has testified.
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by gbwales on 01.10.13 12:04

Although I take the point about Leveson and being under oath, I think this is a very different arena.

Leveson was an inquiry into the press, and covering a vast breadth of issues - and was not "all about them" so to speak - they got away with demonstrable lies because the focus was not the minutiae/detail of their case and a battle over the truth of that specifically.

I think that in this case, where the legal teams are employed to focus on nothing else it would be very hard to distract from serious cross-examination of anything GM says. GA and crew will be so well prepared. And also prepared for any further trickery I hope.

I am convinced he went over and said he wanted to testify, 100% certain he'd get turned down and that he could rant and rave, and spin a lazy and compliant British media against the Portuguese justice system, and to play for sympathy (and I guess, funds) once again.

I am sure he'll do all he can to get out of it now, having been so spectacularly wrongfooted - but I very much hope there'll be no way out. Or that if he does get out of it through some ludicrous excuse ("if he can just jump on a plane last week, then why not this week or next week?" people should ask), any shreds of credibility and integrity that some people may strangely believe in, will be gone for good.

Mr Universe to Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
gbwales

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum