The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Mm11

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Mm11

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Regist10

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith

View previous topic View next topic Go down

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Empty McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith

Post by sharonl 24.08.13 18:30

The McCanns: Innocent until tried by the newspapers

Joan Smith  -  The Independent   -   Sunday 7 July 2013

As British police swoop in six years on, Kate and Gerry McCann face weeks of press chatter.

There is often a moment in old-fashioned detective fiction when someone decides to ‘call in the Yard’.

Bumbling local cops are sidelined as worldly-wise detectives arrive from London, spotting missed clues and identifying suspects. Hence the sense of déjà vu I experienced a couple of days ago when there was a ‘breakthrough’ in the Madeleine McCann case.

Scotland Yard has launched a new investigation, detectives are supposedly about to ‘swoop’; and arrests could be made ‘within weeks’.

The popular press has always treated this abduction as a completely irresistible mystery. Since she disappeared in Portugal in 2007, Madeleine has been ‘spotted’, I don't know how many times, while one ‘suspect’ after another has been dismissed from the inquiry.

There is a difference this time, which is that Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, are being  treated with kid gloves. I suspect this has more to do with their successful libel action against Express newspapers, in which they were awarded damages of £550,000, than a sudden outbreak of compassion and decency.

In other respects, the announcement produced the usual round of febrile speculation, despite an attempt by Scotland Yard to manage expectations. All we know for certain is that detectives have identified ‘38 persons of interest’, including known sex offenders, during a lengthy review of the case. Twelve are UK nationals whom the police believe were in Portugal when Madeleine went missing.

But a ‘person of interest’ is not the same as a prime suspect. Logic dictates that most, if not all, of the 38 will turn out to have nothing to do with the case, while the police have been careful to talk about no more than the ‘possibility’ that Madeleine is alive.

The review which preceded the inquiry involved 30,500 documents, material collected by both British and Portuguese police forces and the findings of seven private-detective agencies. The fact that so much material has been amassed without producing hard evidence shows how difficult this case is; vital leads are usually generated within hours of a crime, and detectives are dealing with events that took place six years ago.

I'm sure Kate and Gerry McCann, whom I've met on several occasions, are desperately hoping they will finally discover what happened to their daughter.

No one who heard their testimony to the Leveson inquiry could doubt how much they've suffered because of the loss of their child, but I can't help wondering about the timing of the decision. It comes after a dreadful few weeks for the Metropolitan Police, whose reputation seems to become ever more battered with every news bulletin.

Already the McCann inquiry has produced headlines suggesting that Scotland Yard will succeed where their Portuguese colleagues failed, but it's a risky strategy.

Meanwhile, the McCanns will have to brace themselves for weeks of speculation - and what could be a big test of the conduct of the popular press after the drubbing it received in the Leveson report.
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11173

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Empty Re: McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith

Post by Praiaaa 24.08.13 19:31

sharonl wrote:[successful libel action against Express newspapers, in which they were awarded damages of £550,000.
Was there a successful libel action? Weasel words, wasn't it a settlement out of court/ hardly an 'award'.
Praiaaa

Activity : 497

Back to top Go down

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Empty Re: McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith

Post by jeanmonroe 24.08.13 21:02

Praiaaa wrote:
sharonl wrote:[successful libel action against Express newspapers, in which they were awarded damages of £550,000.
Was there a successful libel action? Weasel words, wasn't it a settlement out of court/ hardly an 'award'.
NO mention of the costs 'awarded' AGAINST the McCanns AND their three children in their TWO failed book ban appeals!
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 24.08.13 22:20

'The fact that so much material has been amassed without producing hard evidence shows how difficult this case is'

The fact that so much evidence has been amassed ..... none of which supports the theory of an abduction.

Now let's see, where should the police go from there? Very difficult!

suzyjohnson

Activity : 1542

Back to top Go down

Post by maebee 24.08.13 23:28

I'm sure Kate and Gerry McCann, whom I've met on several occasions, are desperately hoping they will finally discover what happened to their daughter
Read the police files Joan.
maebee
maebee
Madeleine Foundation

Activity : 682

Back to top Go down

Post by T4two 24.08.13 23:42

Joan Smith - not independent at all; incredibly biased in fact.
T4two
T4two

Activity : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 25.08.13 2:27

"I'm sure Kate and Gerry McCann, whom I've met on several occasions, are desperately hoping they will finally discover what happened to their daughter."

Eh? Haven't they been telling the world that their daughter has been 'abducted' by a swarthy, egg headed, foreign paedo who has no fingerprints or DNA but does wear smart shoes?

Nothing to 'discover' there!

Unless of course.........................she wasn't!

Now there could be plenty to finally 'discover' there!
jeanmonroe

Back to top Go down

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Empty lying

Post by marconi 25.08.13 4:11

On McCann files  there is a new article coming from The Interrrupted Investigation where one wonders if the Met are lying.  Of course they are. Police work is like war strategy. Or like a chess play.
The last thing they do, before catching the prepetrator, is to telling what is going on and what they found out about the case.

If the Portuguese authorities including the PJ accept them in Algarve, it is because they know both police are on the right track.
We all have to remember that we know extremely little about what is going on.  I am already very happy that things have gone this far.
And pay attention on the MCanns' silence.  Eloquent, is itn't ?
marconi

Activity : 1104

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 25.08.13 11:59

Who cares how many times Joan Smith has met them? Why does she need to even print such a stupid sentence?

So she has met them many times AND WHAT? Stupid, no wonder we are so easily bored with the (non) newspapers these days.

Read the files Joan Smith, read the files.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25.08.13 13:08

It seems as if Joan Smith fell for a famous storyline - it's only dastardly strangers who commit crimes. People you've met can't possibly have done anything wrong!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 25.08.13 13:15

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:It seems as if Joan Smith fell for a famous storyline - it's only dastardly strangers who commit crimes. People you've met can't possibly have done anything wrong!
“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” ~Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens) (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)

NEXT!
jeanmonroe

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 25.08.13 16:54

Yep, and in my opinion that is the reason for the cover up. People don't want to be seen as fools, and by now Cameron, Andy, SY all would look as unbelievable fools when they have to admit it was all the parents and friends doing.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by PEANUT66 25.08.13 18:14

Wouldn't it be disgraceful if people put pride before a missing child!
PEANUT66

Activity : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25.08.13 20:06

It would, absolutely, but I think this would play much more for Blair and Brown than for Cameron.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

McCanns - Innocent, until tried by the newspapers - by Joan 'I've met the McCanns on several occasions' Smiith Empty illness

Post by marconi 25.08.13 21:28

During the Leveson inquiry, Brown was asked about a Sun article, where they published about a serious health problem of his 5 years old son.
(something of fibers in his lungs? Not sure).  The Sun or the NOW had broken in the medical files of the boy.

Even the boy had no idea he was ill.  Children at school seemed to have approached him with the news.

When the Leveson inquiry asked Brown about that issue, asking why Mrs. Brown remaining being close friend of Rebekah Brooks, he answered:
_My wife is the most forgiveful person I have ever known.
marconi

Activity : 1104

Back to top Go down

Post by comperedna 26.08.13 13:07

Marconi, it was a truly dreadful business because Brown's youngest child had cystic fibrosis, a genetic illness with serious ongoing lung and digestive complications inevitable.  It is life-limiting and there is no cure, and Brown did not originally wish to publicise this and was bounced into it.  I disliked Brown intensely, but felt so sorry for him and his wife at that point.
comperedna

Activity : 781

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 01.09.13 7:30

Will Joan Smith be in Portugal on 9th September reporting what Mr. A. has to say on the steps of the court?
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 02.09.13 5:57

plebgate wrote:Who cares how many times Joan Smith has met them?  Why does she need to even print such a stupid sentence?

So she has met them many times AND WHAT?  Stupid, no wonder we are so easily bored with the (non) newspapers these days.  

Read the files Joan Smith, read the files.
I am surprised that the Independent considers the Mccanns News Worthy even when nothing is happening.

Actually, Joan Smith's piece is rather objective.  Read between her lines and there's plenty hidden messages within.

But a ‘person of interest’ is not the same as a prime suspect. Logic dictates that most, if not all, of the 38 will turn out to have nothing to do with the case, while the police have been careful to talk about no more than the ‘possibility’ that Madeleine is alive.

For example, if the 38 POI will turn out to have nothing to do with the case or will lead to *possibility* that she is alive, you have to question why the Police would want to investigate them.  Also she places 'possibility' in inverted commas, indicative of her skepticism that Maddie is alive.  

The review which preceded the inquiry involved 30,500 documents, material collected by both British and Portuguese police forces and the findings of seven private-detective agencies. The fact that so much material has been amassed without producing hard evidence shows how difficult this case is; vital leads are usually generated within hours of a crime, and detectives are dealing with events that took place six years ago.

For once, a journalist got her fact right - SEVEN pte detective agencies and not SIX as reported by most.
The bits I underscored again shows Joan Smith is   skeptical about Redwood's statement - the give away is in her words "without producing hard evidence".  In short, she's saying Redwood has no hard evidence (despite the 30,500 documents from three strands) to support his claim she's alive.

I'm sure Kate and Gerry McCann, whom I've met on several occasions, are desperately hoping they will finally discover what happened to their daughter.

No one who heard their testimony to the Leveson inquiry could doubt how much they've suffered because of the loss of their child, but I can't help wondering about the timing of the decision. It comes after a dreadful few weeks for the Metropolitan Police, whose reputation seems to become ever more battered with every news bulletin.

Already the McCann inquiry has produced headlines suggesting that Scotland Yard will succeed where their Portuguese colleagues failed, but it's a risky strategy.
 So she's is hinting that Redwood's proclamation is but a STRATEGY and a risky one to have said : "she may be alive".
 You have to question why she thinks (I am sure she's not alone in that) the Police employ strategy in their announcement to the Public.
 Aren't they supposed to announce only facts ?

Meanwhile, the McCanns will have to brace themselves for weeks of speculation - and what could be a big test of the conduct of the popular press after the drubbing it received in the Leveson report.
  So she believes the Mccanns wont be free of speculation despite their appearance at Leveson to silent the Press----hmmmm interesting.
You have to question why the Press would continue to speculate (no smoke without fire) post Mccanns performance at Leveson and Gerry's voice for Hack unless they know more but apply restraint when reporting, drawing the line at not crossing the libelous border,  but still wanting certain info to be in the public domain.

aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 02.09.13 6:14

You do cheer me up, Aiyoyo! airkiss 

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seek truth 02.09.13 6:44

lj wrote:Yep, and in my opinion that is the reason for the cover up. People don't want to be seen as fools, and by now Cameron, Andy, SY all would look as unbelievable fools when they have to admit it was all the parents and friends doing.
Will look more foolish in the future if so.

And right now, they must know that the majority of the public already figured it all out, because its plain simple.

They could say THEY had other more important things to do! And they knew but needed evidence.
Maybe they will reconsider. Wouldn't this be nice!
pray2
Seek truth

Activity : 449

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll 24.10.13 11:20

Discussion on This Morning newspaper review,  a female at the end of discussion, [ I was busy so not sure if the following was from a female presenter or a guest....]

talking about the weather initially as UK storms predicted........ "it is a great day for the newspapers,  the weather, the Royals and Madeleine McCann on the front pages. They have got the lot. "

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll
russiandoll

Activity : 4058

Back to top Go down

Post by ekatae 13.12.13 23:08

I have not heard from the newspapers for a while on this case.....even after CW wondering has there been some sort of gag...?

ekatae

Activity : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 14.12.13 5:45

russiandoll wrote:Discussion on This Morning newspaper review,  a female at the end of discussion, [ I was busy so not sure if the following was from a female presenter or a guest....]

talking about the weather initially as UK storms predicted........ "it is a great day for the newspapers,  the weather, the Royals and Madeleine McCann on the front pages. They have got the lot. "

splat 

This is why they frequently have to make the news, keep entertaining the masses with a bit of paedo, bit of celebrity gossip and the weather, all as allowed by the media outfit that Clarrie used to head.

His meteoric rise to a position beyond his competence couldn't have anything to do witth Trafigura and knowing where the bodies are buried? Metaphorically speaking one hopes.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum