The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™️ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Forum discussions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forum discussions

Post by Kepharel on 27.07.13 22:35

Newintown has brought up a valid point about what gets discussed on Forums in another post (of mine) about photographs.  It is a point that has been raised before in replies to previous posts of mine, and has led to a bit of frustration on my part.

It seems odd to me that a new member, well informed on this case or plain newbie, can bring up a point in the case of Madeleine McCann which produces, from some forum members, a shrug of the shoulders and an invitation to the poster to go elsewhere on this site (the invitation just occasionally) to see if an answer to that point already exists.

For my part, I thought the point of Forums were to discuss matters brought up by members.  'Veteran' members have a choice of whether to ignore the post of another member if the topic has been done to death, or if they are inclined, to answer the post in as helpful a manner as they see fit.  Maybe someone can clarify what might be discussed on a Forum.  Is it just topics regarding new material, or verifiably new interpretations of existing data, that can appear on posts, or are the Forums there for a mutual exchange of information that will further the understanding of any and all issues any individual member may wish to bring up.

Merely to point out that the matter has been discussed before may sound like a helpful thing to do, but asking a member to go look elsewhere on the site for answers can, IMO and experience, be an exclusionary and deflating experience for a member trying to get a foot on the ladder of acceptance. Such comments of redirect, for me,  are not the welcome mat these forums should be putting out for new members.
Kepharel

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum discussions

Post by guest. on 27.07.13 23:53

Kepharel wrote:Newintown has brought up a valid point about what gets discussed on Forums in another post (of mine) about photographs.  It is a point that has been raised before in replies to previous posts of mine, and has led to a bit of frustration on my part.

It seems odd to me that a new member, well informed on this case or plain newbie, can bring up a point in the case of Madeleine McCann which produces, from some forum members, a shrug of the shoulders and an invitation to the poster to go elsewhere on this site (the invitation just occasionally) to see if an answer to that point already exists.

For my part, I thought the point of Forums were to discuss matters brought up by members.  'Veteran' members have a choice of whether to ignore the post of another member if the topic has been done to death, or if they are inclined, to answer the post in as helpful a manner as they see fit.  Maybe someone can clarify what might be discussed on a Forum.  Is it just topics regarding new material, or verifiably new interpretations of existing data, that can appear on posts, or are the Forums there for a mutual exchange of information that will further the understanding of any and all issues any individual member may wish to bring up.

Merely to point out that the matter has been discussed before may sound like a helpful thing to do, but asking a member to go look elsewhere on the site for answers can, IMO and experience, be an exclusionary and deflating experience for a member trying to get a foot on the ladder of acceptance. Such comments of redirect, for me,  are not the welcome mat these forums should be putting out for new members.

I've thought that when reading your threads, often a new perspective on an old subject can be interesting. Maybe it has been discussed in detail previously but if something has come to light since which throws a different light on things, if the subject has been relegated to discussed in full a connection gets missed.

guest.

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon on 28.07.13 0:16

Forums are funny things. I'm a member of a few disparate ones and find they each have a distinct culture. There is one that relates to my present line of work as owner of a childcare company. Here, the bitchiness is unbelievable.

There is one that relates to my degrees in anthropology, where I have found peers who are bigots and racists.

I am a member of 2 'bull breed' dog forums. One a Staffordshire Bull Terrier forum, one a Pit Bull rescue forum. Here, the members are lovely, upstanding, genuine, supportive, inclusive and helpful individuals, many who have become friends over the years that I have met in person.

You would imagine that members of the childcare forum would be supportive, that members of the anthropology forum would be non-judgemental and that members of the bull breed forums would be chavs. You'd be wrong.

This forum has its own culture too. I tend to check in the search box now before posting to see if what I intend to post has already been examined because like you - I'm not keen on being shouted at.

This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.
whmon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.07.13 9:57

I hope that nobody feels deterred from posting for fear of being taken to task. It is very difficult with the forumotion system to find if particular topics have been raised before. Sometimes I know for sure that they have, but no amount of searches will find them.

Inevitably a disrupter rolls in from time to time and this can cause all newcomers to be viewed with suspicion. I wish that longstanding members would not jump to conclusions and make snide remarks - my philosophy is to assume that everyone is genuine; those that aren't will make their presence known before too long.

There was an influx of whining "you're all being nasty to me" trolls a few months ago but they've all scuttled back to their basements now!

welcome2 to all recent arrivals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 28.07.13 10:14

I know that sometimes it's best not to bite. But as NFWT has said it's difficult to get the fine balance. Of all the Forums I have and continue to be a Member of, this one seems to suit best. It is a delicate balance but I think any contribution is good because information is best when it flows from many sources.

Also some Members have different dispositions and ways of phrasing comments - I just go with the flow.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum