The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Should children spend longer hours at school with shorter holidays?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should children spend longer hours at school with shorter holidays?

Post by Guest on 18.04.13 20:19

Should children have longer hours at school and less holidays, Mr Gove certainly thinks so. I bet the teachers are going to love this idea......not.

Gove urges longer days and shorter holidays for pupils

Pupils in England should spend more hours at school each day and have shorter holidays, the Education Secretary Michael Gove has argued. More here.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22202694

Back to top Go down

Re: Should children spend longer hours at school with shorter holidays?

Post by TonyMorgan on 11.04.18 13:56

Personally, I'm sure that the holidays do not need to be cut. I think that no one will support a "blurry" school curriculum. I believe that a child has the right to have a normal rest, spend time with his parents. Now full of various online educational programs, courses, services, for example like this writemyessayonline.com. All of them help students to better understand the material, help with homework. Conducting constant experiments with children and shorten their time for rest is a madness!
TonyMorgan

Back to top Go down

Shorter School holidays

Post by willowthewisp on 11.04.18 14:34

@TonyMorgan wrote:Personally, I'm sure that the holidays do not need to be cut. I think that no one will support a "blurry" school curriculum. I believe that a child has the right to have a normal rest, spend time with his parents. Now full of various online educational programs, courses, services, for example like this writemyessayonline.com. All of them help students to better understand the material, help with homework. Conducting constant experiments with children and shorten their time for rest is a madness!
Perhaps Mr Gove can Commit his colleagues to give up some of their annual holiday entitlements in a restructure of MP's working practices,what an oily little twonk,do as I say,not as I do?
willowthewisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladyinred on 11.04.18 15:14

Michael Gove is not the Education Secretary of State.
Ladyinred

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie R on 11.04.18 21:46

@Ladyinred wrote:Michael Gove is not the Education Secretary of State.
But he did a lot of damage whilst he was and we're still paying the price. 

@willowthewisp   "oily little twonk" ..Love it!!!  big grin

Julie R

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladyinred on 11.04.18 22:07

... like most politicians in charge of government departments.

Back to topic, I think the summer holidays should be shortened, and another week's holiday added during the school year.

Ladyinred

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 13.04.18 9:32

Shorter holidays and less homework.  

The number of homes up and down the country with grief over getting their kids to do the staggering amount of homework they are set is ridiculous.

Homework which many times is not even marked.

Too many subjects taught which is of no value to anyone once they reach adulthood and too many mickey mouse subjects on offer at University hence the number of people who moan because they cannot get a job once they leave.

Like everything else in UK TPTB do not listen to those who are actually looking to recruit the movers and shakers when they leave Uni.   Not the moaners who are there simply because Blair and co. wouldn't listen to business leaders when they told them it would end in tears for many.

Sick of every Goverment and their Ministers who think they know it all when they know NOTHING of the real world because too many have never actually had a real job.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll

plebgate

Back to top Go down

Post by polyenne on 13.04.18 12:42

When I was at boys grammar school (remember them ?!) in the early 70s, all boys wore a school uniform, and in the first year you wore a cap. Discipline was tight, teachers were smartly dressed, God forbid you were late for class, there was respect for teachers (grudgingly sometimes !) and, if you crossed the line, an hours detention on Friday after school or, for the bad boys, 3 hours detention on Saturday morning (washing teachers cars in the rain !!). It worked well pretty much.

What occurred then was that those members of teaching staff who were young adults in the Swinging Sixties rose to the level of Headteacher. With it came a softening of discipline, a desire to "get in touch with oneself", male teachers came to school in corduroy trousers and open necked shirts (or t-shirts with slogans), female teachers had long flowery dresses and poncho jumpers and the school uniform requirement was quietly dropped. The decline started.

I know a now-retired (at 40 !) teacher who taught in an East End secondary school in the late nineties early 2000s. The kids were unruly and knew that teachers have no real power. If disruptive and required a "talking-to", the teacher could only keep them behind for a short time after which the kid said "Is that it ? I'm off home now" knowing there was damn-all the teacher could do.

And in another situation, she observed a child who was obviously upset in class. After class she asked the child to stay behind and, asking them what was wrong, found out there were problems at home. The child started crying again and the caring teacher put a reassuring arm around the child. SHOCK, HORROR !! She recoiled. She had just over-stepped the golden mark whereby a teacher just COULD NOT touch any child for fear or being reported for (sexual) harassment.

Soon after she left the profession as she was stifled and genuinely fearful of some of her pupils.

polyenne

Back to top Go down

Post by polyenne on 13.04.18 12:44

PS    if you still had an intact cap after the first year, it was prized. Mine lasted 2 months until a "bigger" boy put a banger underneath it on November 5th and it opened out like a chocolate orange !!!

polyenne

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket on 13.04.18 12:51

@polyenne - hope it wasn't on your head at the time!
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by polyenne on 13.04.18 12:56

Fortunately not, LOL

polyenne

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 16.04.18 16:17

it should be like in france? where they start earlier, do their homework after lessons and come in on sat mornings. Never met a stupid frenchman or woman. Furthermore breakfast is served at home, decent lunch/ dinner at school and tea at home probably helps?

sar

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil with a brush on 17.04.18 1:59

No, they're not children long enough. They currently do more homework than ever before and are made to grow up far too quick these days. They are supposed to be the best years of their lives. Let them enjoy those years. Christ knows, you're an adult long enough, and that stinks in comparison.

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 17.04.18 17:00

+1 Basil with a brush!big grin

sar

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum